Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Portis put on IR, done for '09

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2009, 09:18 AM   #61
Registered User
 
SBXVII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,766
Re: Portis put on IR, done for '09

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethiesmanfan View Post
Man look, let Portis compete in training camp next year for the starting spot. I think he would win. I believe in him and think he had an off year and has atleast two or three more 1400 yard seasons in him. Emmitt Smith lost some of his explosiveness, but still played 7 more years.
Fact: Portis hates preseason. However this is the time for players to get back into football shape, learn the plays, and build cohesiveness with teamates. Portis belives it's over rated.

Fact: It takes 2-4 games before Portis is even playing at the level he should be playing at. Mostly due to his lack of preseason playing time.

Fact: Portis is getting older. As well as Betts and Rock. All, if they had it, are losing their elusiveness.

Fact: Portis doesn't like something he runs to Daddy Snyder and all is made well. Not something you want from a team player.

Fact: He's had his injuries mostly in these last few years. Which is a part of getting old.

Fact: Some idiot gave him a huge player friendly contract. If there is no CAP this year coming up we would be wise to get rid of his contract. As well with all the others...ie; Samuels.

Fact: He has not run the same the last 3 years. Originally he was a shifty RB. Brought in and asked to gain weight by Gibbs to become his power back. To only decide after Gibbs he wanted to lose the weight to try and get back to his elusiveness, which has not worked out for him. He's a better power between the tackles type of runner. Now with his concussion he might not even be worth keeping for that roll cause they take some hits in the trenches.

Fact: He should simply find a way to cut bait and turn to being a media guys somewhere. ESPN, NFL network, maybe Reskins Nation especially since I don't watch that anymore he might bring people back to watching the show if he simply did interviews with players on the field or in the locker room or while working out.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-09-2009, 09:18 AM   #62
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,626
Re: Portis put on IR, done for '09

"It's really an honor," said Portis, who leads the NFL this year with 643 yards. "You get a league MVP, a guy who's had success and touchdown records and everything else. I want to know how you get 28 touchdowns [in a season], so who better to ask than Shaun? He did it."

Seahawks | NFL | Shaun Alexander joins ex-Hawk contingent | Seattle Times Newspaper

Redskins' Zorn reprimands Portis | Truth & Rumors | FanNation
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:24 AM   #63
Impact Rookie
 
davy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: England
Posts: 692
Re: Portis put on IR, done for '09

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmdub130 View Post
but you did call one of the best players on this team in the past decade one of the most over rated, please explain
Portis and I.

I was very excited when I heard we had signed Portis, I'd seen the Denver highlight reels and read the glowing appraisals.

However, it wasn't very long before I realised that he wasn't all I'd expected. As a running back he was very limited in what he could do.

He was a 'through the hole, one cut' type of back that was ideally suited to the Denver system. Obviously he was very good at pass protection as well.

He didn't have a lot of moves, he wasn't elusive in the open, he didn't have great speed, he didn't break a lot of tackles or run over people, as a pass catcher he was ordinary at best and in short yardage situations he was poor.

He was also a whiner. I think it was his 3rd or 4th game here when he started, complaining that the Browns defence knew what plays were coming before the snap and I've lost count of the numerous other things he's seen fit to bellyache about since then, and these are just the ones where he has gone public, how much more whinging did he do behind closed doors?

Ironically, if he had stayed in Denver I think he could have broken all sorts of records and be destined for the HOF. As it is I will remember him as just another running back.

Having said all that I do wish him a full recovery from his current problem and I hope he can find something fulfilling to do with the rest of his life should he decide to retire.
__________________
“Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to.”
davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:24 AM   #64
The Starter
 
SolidSnake84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Stephens City, VA
Posts: 1,861
Re: Portis put on IR, done for '09

Hey Smoot thanks for posting the articles.

I remember when Portis seemed all happy about Shaun Being here. But it was like his attitude quickly changed.

The second article was a good read. But with all the coverage of that incident, and even Larry Michael talking about it, maybe we all misinterpreted it. But i sure saw the words "Get the F out of my face" on TV. My father in law saw the same thing....
__________________
Time to nut up or shut up
SolidSnake84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:26 AM   #65
Gamebreaker
 
tryfuhl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Waldorf, MD
Age: 30
Posts: 12,514
Re: Portis put on IR, done for '09

Quote:
Originally Posted by OApartyrock View Post
Portis is the ultimate Pre-Madonna. Good riddance. Just another guy taking Snyder's checks to the bank. I want someone to break Riggins record. Just not Clinton Portis.
so he's marilyn?

prima donna*
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:26 AM   #66
Gamebreaker
 
tryfuhl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Waldorf, MD
Age: 30
Posts: 12,514
Re: Portis put on IR, done for '09

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
Ok guys, I've figured it out. There is a huge conspiracy going on. It sounds like our DR. cleared him but he has to get an outside source per the NFL requesting 2 sources and one being not associated with the team.

Here's the conspiracy.......Portis went to NY to see a specialist. Think....think....we play our second game with NY within the next 4 weeks. Ta Da!

Just Kidding. Always gotta be looking for the conspiracy.
Pittsburgh wasn't it?
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:47 AM   #67
Playmaker
 
mlmdub130's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 3,174
Re: Portis put on IR, done for '09

Quote:
Originally Posted by davy View Post
Portis and I.

I was very excited when I heard we had signed Portis, I'd seen the Denver highlight reels and read the glowing appraisals.

However, it wasn't very long before I realised that he wasn't all I'd expected. As a running back he was very limited in what he could do.

He was a 'through the hole, one cut' type of back that was ideally suited to the Denver system. Obviously he was very good at pass protection as well.

He didn't have a lot of moves, he wasn't elusive in the open, he didn't have great speed, he didn't break a lot of tackles or run over people, as a pass catcher he was ordinary at best and in short yardage situations he was poor.

He was also a whiner. I think it was his 3rd or 4th game here when he started, complaining that the Browns defence knew what plays were coming before the snap and I've lost count of the numerous other things he's seen fit to bellyache about since then, and these are just the ones where he has gone public, how much more whinging did he do behind closed doors?

Ironically, if he had stayed in Denver I think he could have broken all sorts of records and be destined for the HOF. As it is I will remember him as just another running back.

Having said all that I do wish him a full recovery from his current problem and I hope he can find something fulfilling to do with the rest of his life should he decide to retire.
that said he finished in the top ten every year (beside 06) in total yards for running backs finishing 8th 4th 6th and 4th respectfully, i still don't see how that is overrated. i see that as one of our best players in the recent past.

was he a diva, no question. did he get the job done, no f-ing question.

i would have loved to have kept champ, but he didn't want to stay and was gone regardless.

for anyone who says protis is a diva and doesn't have heart, and leave it all on the feild, go a head and take a look at the man's stats before you say that. is he done, most likely, would i like to see him back to compete in camp next year, you bet your ass i would. cause if there is one thing i'll say about portis when he has the burgandy and gold on he gives it his all.
__________________
"I don't think anybody should have regrets, especially me, ... You don't regret what you do in your life. If you do it, you do it for a reason."

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:52 AM   #68
The Starter
 
SolidSnake84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Stephens City, VA
Posts: 1,861
Re: Portis put on IR, done for '09

I agree with that post completley. I never, ever, questioned Portis' athletic ability. NO doubt in my mind he always gave 100%, even when his body was operating at only 40% capacity.

But he shouldnt come back next season if the injury is this serious. A 30 year old runningback with major mileage, big injury history, and coming off a potential career-ending concussion. Even Portis, who is madly in pursuit of his own stats, hopefully has enough common sense to not risk his future life and/or health just so he can pass Riggins' record and then retire.

Only way is if he would take a secondary role...but i doubt he'd ever do that.
__________________
Time to nut up or shut up
SolidSnake84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:57 AM   #69
MVP
 
dmek25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: lancaster,pa
Age: 52
Posts: 10,515
Re: Portis put on IR, done for '09

all i know about Portis is that when he takes the field, its 150%. i really don't give a damn about practice. we are talking about practice, right? im not sure why you guys care so much about practice. if he goes out, and tweeks a knee, missing a game, then what? he has been with the skins long enough to know whats expected of him. for a seasoned pro, whats the big deal?
__________________
"It's better to be quiet and thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt."
courtesy of 53fan
dmek25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:08 AM   #70
The Starter
 
SolidSnake84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Stephens City, VA
Posts: 1,861
Re: Portis put on IR, done for '09

I'd agree with your statement 100% if the other backs would have came out and ran worse than Portis did (which would be hard to do)

But they didn't, because they practiced and had rhythym with the team, something Portis did not have this year at all. Practice makes you better, its a proven fact. In the NFL, even "Seasoned Pros" practice. Seriously...there are not many teams that would let you get by with refusing to practice. And did you seriously see the shape Portis was in this year? He looked paunchy in the media photos and even other people noticed how out of shape he was...I'm sure that didnt help him on the field any.
__________________
Time to nut up or shut up
SolidSnake84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:24 AM   #71
Playmaker
 
freddyg12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,540
Re: Portis put on IR, done for '09

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
all i know about Portis is that when he takes the field, its 150%. i really don't give a damn about practice. we are talking about practice, right? im not sure why you guys care so much about practice. if he goes out, and tweeks a knee, missing a game, then what? he has been with the skins long enough to know whats expected of him. for a seasoned pro, whats the big deal?
oh yeah, practice, CP, Allen Iverson & Plaxico. Those guys don't need practice!

the part I bolded says it all; Gibbs may have created this dysfunction by allowing CP to get away w/a lot. But Zorn & most any coach that wants to keep their job EXPECTS their players to practice! During practice, they perform such perfunctory tasks as game planning & conditioning.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:47 AM   #72
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,275
Re: Portis put on IR, done for '09

Redskins Insider - Portis' future and the salary cap


Portis' future and the salary cap

Many in the league believe 2010 will be an uncapped year, but the current system and its rules still are in place. If the Redskins released Clinton Portis before June 1 in 2010, they could face a cap hit of as much as $14.8 million, according to league sources familiar with Portis's contract and the Redskins' cap situation.

Portis last renegotiated his contract in March 2008, receiving a signing bonus of almost $9.4 million. By the end of this season, Portis, under the terms of the renegotiated deal, will have been paid more than $2.35 million in salaries and bonuses in addition to his signing bonus. Most of Portis's 2010 base salary of almost $7.2 million is guaranteed, and he is also due roster and workout bonuses totaling about $507,000.

The Redskins also have "offset" language on the guaranteed portion of his contract. If Washington released Portis and he joined another team next season, the Redskins would receive a credit against his guarantee for any additional salary.
__________________
Not sent from a Droid, iPhone, Blackberry or toaster
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:42 PM   #73
F the Shannys

 
CrazyCanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,879
Re: Portis put on IR, done for '09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
If the Redskins released Clinton Portis before June 1 in 2010, they could face a cap hit of as much as $14.8 million, according to league sources familiar with Portis's contract and the Redskins' cap situation.
This seems high to me. I have his 2009 release fee just under $14M but only $8.5M for 2010. His contract's been reworked and restructured a few times so my numbers could be off but still seems like a big discrepancy. I expect his 2010 release fee to be around $8-$10M.
CrazyCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 01:23 PM   #74
Registered User
 
BigHairedAristocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,917
Re: Portis put on IR, done for '09

I'm not expert, but perhaps the key is the June 1, 2010 date and if Portis is cut after that, the cap hit is only 8.5MM?
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 01:27 PM   #75
Playmaker
 
Trample the Elderly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Three Chopt Virginia
Age: 36
Posts: 2,906
Re: Portis put on IR, done for '09

If we're lucky, Clinton "I don't make no mistakes" Portis has played his last football for the Redskins.
__________________
A funny thing happened on the way to the temple. The moneychangers bought the priesthood.
Trample the Elderly is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.54745 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25