Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Report: Shanahan in Talks with Redskins

Redskins Locker Room


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2009, 10:07 AM   #31
Playmaker
 
Longtimefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Germantown, Md.
Posts: 4,832
Re: Report: Shanahan in Talks with Redskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooskins View Post
Its very easy to say the Rooney rule is wrong, without properly understanding why it is in place. Its not like the general job market, which is much more porous and open. The coaching and involvement with the NFL was very much a "Country-Club" only deal. There have to be rules to prevent that kinda of self-sustaining discrimination.

There never would be a qualified minority candidate if they dont get a chance.
Apprehension has always been associated with the Rooney Rule by many people because of the limitations it faces in effecting it's intended purpose. Owners are going to hire who they want to hire to run or coach their respective programs. The rule is to give the impression that fairness is being implemented in the process.
Longtimefan is offline  

Advertisements
Old 12-18-2009, 10:07 AM   #32
Special Teams
 
maroonandblack30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 348
Re: Report: Shanahan in Talks with Redskins

The Rooney Rule is garbage.... no one says we should try out white RBs before we sign a black one....its a freaking joke. The NFL is about winning, if an owner is still dumb enough to NOT hire the best coach for the job regardless of color his record will prove his incompitence. The rule is insulting and demeaning.
maroonandblack30 is offline  
Old 12-18-2009, 10:08 AM   #33
Pro Bowl
 
53Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Posts: 7,392
Re: Report: Shanahan in Talks with Redskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
until a zorn is fired and a new coach is named all of this is just speculation and rumors.
Speculation is rampant right now as would be expected. If a plan is already in place I don't know if these next 3 games matter. I would like to see Zorn returning given real consideration myself.
__________________
"Cautiously And Optimistically... Looking Forward To Change"
53Fan is offline  
Old 12-18-2009, 10:16 AM   #34
Playmaker
 
Defensewins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,892
Re: Report: Shanahan in Talks with Redskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroonandblack30 View Post
The Rooney Rule is garbage.... no one says we should try out white RBs before we sign a black one....its a freaking joke. The NFL is about winning, if an owner is still dumb enough to NOT hire the best coach for the job regardless of color his record will prove his incompitence. The rule is insulting and demeaning.
How old are you?
The reason I ask is some of the owners are much older than you and I.
They are from an era where discriminating because of race or religion was discreetly being done and behind closed doors was acceptable. The attitude was not necessarily I hate minorities, it was more an attitude of 'I will never have a black GM or coach or QB.' There are certain high visibility/profile positions that were not acceptable to have a minority.
Defensewins is offline  
Old 12-18-2009, 10:21 AM   #35
Playmaker
 
Longtimefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Germantown, Md.
Posts: 4,832
Re: Report: Shanahan in Talks with Redskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
until a zorn is fired and a new coach is named all of this is just speculation and rumors.
I've said it over and over, but the speculation will continue until there's a resolution. We now live in a time where people just love to speculate on just about everything............I've gotten used to it.
Longtimefan is offline  
Old 12-18-2009, 10:23 AM   #36
Registered User
 
BigHairedAristocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,917
Re: Report: Shanahan in Talks with Redskins

Jim Zorn is probably the only person who thinks he has a chance to return in any capacity. The notion that he would remain in a reduced role is absurd. Even if Zorn were open to the idea, there's no way ANY new HC would retain his predecessor on the staff. It would simply create too many awkward situations. The only part about this story that bothers me does deal with the rooney rule. I'm sure the skins will be in compliance with the letter of the rule, but they certainly arent in its spirit. It also bothers me that a minority coach would willingly allow himself to be manipulated by "interviewing" for a position they knew full well they had no chance of getting.

If I were a minority coach in the NFL, i would rather not have a rooney rule at all than one that allowed me to be manipulated and taken advantage of. Its cheap and degrading in my opinion. If the Skins or any team wants to hire a Bill Cowher, Mike Shanahan, Mike Holmgren, Jon Gruden, etc... then that's their right. but the reality is they're not going to give anyone else - regardless of race - serious consideration. the rooney rule turns decent men into pawns. its a complete sham and needs to be revised or done away with entirely.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline  
Old 12-18-2009, 10:23 AM   #37
No new threads for you
 
pg86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,959
Re: Report: Shanahan in Talks with Redskins

You know I been thinking yes he's a lame duck coach with no playcalling duties but seriously who's to blame for their performance as of late?!?!? I would fire him as the head coach and offer him a lower position (QB coach) if he didn't accept it its on him!
pg86 is offline  
Old 12-18-2009, 10:23 AM   #38
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,275
Re: Report: Shanahan in Talks with Redskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimefan View Post
I've said it over and over, but the speculation will continue until there's a resolution. We now live in a time where people just love to speculate on just about everything............I've gotten used to it.
Yep. Right now we should have Brady Quinn, Sanchez and Cutler alternating series to throw TDs to Chad Ochocinco and Kellen Winslow.
__________________
Not sent from a Droid, iPhone, Blackberry or toaster
Monkeydad is offline  
Old 12-18-2009, 10:25 AM   #39
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: Report: Shanahan in Talks with Redskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdSKINS1 View Post
I'm in between on the rule. I believe that minorities definetely should be interviewed and coach in this league however if the top canidate is white and that is the guy you want why waste the time of the minority being interviewed and the time of the top canidate?
edit edit
firstdown is offline  
Old 12-18-2009, 10:26 AM   #40
The Starter
 
T.O.Killa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Berlin, MD
Posts: 2,030
Re: Report: Shanahan in Talks with Redskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdSKINS1 View Post
I'm in between on the rule. I believe that minorities definetely should be interviewed and coach in this league however if the top canidate is white and that is the guy you want why waste the time of the minority being interviewed and the time of the top canidate?
I know it sounds like a joke, but apparently there have been a couple black coaches hired just because of the Rooney rule(Meaning they impressed in the interview) that they might not have looked at. And how did this thread, become the Rooney rule thread.
T.O.Killa is offline  
Old 12-18-2009, 10:28 AM   #41
Franchise Player
 
mredskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,689
Re: Report: Shanahan in Talks with Redskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
Jim Zorn is probably the only person who thinks he has a chance to return in any capacity. The notion that he would remain in a reduced role is absurd. Even if Zorn were open to the idea, there's no way ANY new HC would retain his predecessor on the staff. It would simply create too many awkward situations. The only part about this story that bothers me does deal with the rooney rule. I'm sure the skins will be in compliance with the letter of the rule, but they certainly arent in its spirit. It also bothers me that a minority coach would willingly allow himself to be manipulated by "interviewing" for a position they knew full well they had no chance of getting.

If I were a minority coach in the NFL, i would rather not have a rooney rule at all than one that allowed me to be manipulated and taken advantage of. Its cheap and degrading in my opinion. If the Skins or any team wants to hire a Bill Cowher, Mike Shanahan, Mike Holmgren, Jon Gruden, etc... then that's their right. but the reality is they're not going to give anyone else - regardless of race - serious consideration. the rooney rule turns decent men into pawns. its a complete sham and needs to be revised or done away with entirely.
I use to think that way about the Rooney Rule but you know what it gives you a chance. It is your 15 minutes of fame with Dan and if you can knock his socks off, you just might change his mind.

Buster Douglas would have never beaten Mike Tyson if he had not been given the chance to fight him.
__________________
When life gives you paper jams, turn them into paper footballs!
mredskins is offline  
Old 12-18-2009, 10:30 AM   #42
Special Teams
 
maroonandblack30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 348
Re: Report: Shanahan in Talks with Redskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensewins View Post
How old are you?
irrelevant
maroonandblack30 is offline  
Old 12-18-2009, 10:30 AM   #43
No new threads for you
 
pg86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,959
Re: Report: Shanahan in Talks with Redskins

Jesus when did this become a discussion about NFL's version of affirmative action...on the subject please!! lol
pg86 is offline  
Old 12-18-2009, 10:31 AM   #44
Franchise Player
 
mredskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,689
Re: Report: Shanahan in Talks with Redskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by pg86 View Post
Jesus when did this become a discussion about NFL's version of affirmative action...on the subject please!! lol

Now we are pulling in religion! =)
__________________
When life gives you paper jams, turn them into paper footballs!
mredskins is offline  
Old 12-18-2009, 10:31 AM   #45
Special Teams
 
Dlyne8r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: The ATL
Posts: 470
Re: Report: Shanahan in Talks with Redskins

BREAKING NEWS:

The Obama administration has appointed a "Rooney Rule" Czar to oversee the adherence of minority interviews in the NFL.
Dlyne8r is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.27663 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25