Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


The rooney rule is it fair< did the redskins follow the rules

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2009, 02:25 PM   #16
Playmaker
 
Trample the Elderly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Three Chopt Virginia
Age: 36
Posts: 2,906
Re: The Rooney rule is it fair< did the redskins follow the rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
as much as i hate to admit this, i agree. im friends with a ton of minorities, and they all hate affirmative action, which is what this is loosely based on. lets go with qualifications, not skin pigmentation
There's no reason to be ashamed that you agree with me. Even your homeboy Saden does sometimes. It's rare, but it happens. All I want is the Redskins to win, be it with a black dude or not. Who gives a fuck?

I'll admit it. I'm too weak to carry the load of other people's resentments on my back. Let someone else do it.
__________________
A funny thing happened on the way to the temple. The moneychangers bought the priesthood.
Trample the Elderly is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-18-2009, 02:26 PM   #17
Playmaker
 
freddyg12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,540
Re: The rooney rule is it fair< did the redskins follow the rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinsFanSince91 View Post
Well, Im going to assume that most in here are not people of color. For those who are of color, we find it hard to just "accept" things off of merit, when it comes to race, just because someone says that they followed the rules.

The Rooney rule is a positive step in the right direction for diversity amongst the head coaching and GM ranks in the NFL. However, it is far from being perfect, and even farther from actually having an working long term. When one can use the current loopholes to bypass the system, it defeats the purpose when we see a guy resigns and then a replacements in less than 24 hours. I am skeptical of the time it took from hearing about Cerrato's resignation to the time we found out the Allen would be replacing him.

Now, can we honestly sit here and say, with that time frame, that there was enough time to SERIOUSLY consider an African American, Asian America or Hispanic/Latino for the GM job? I seriously doubt that is possible.

I honestly feel that if Dan Snyder did follow the Rooney Rule, it was just so that he could pacify the league. He really just wanted to bypass the system so he could get his man. Snyder is a man who likes to get what he wants by any means necessary, and it would make perfect sense for him to say he considered someone seriously when all he did was go through the motions in order to get Allen.

Now, if there is anyone who doubts me, you can help us all find the truth if we can answer these two requests:

1) find out the minority or minorities that we did interview for GM job

2) then lets find out how many people of color(that are not Jerry Gray or Greg Blache) we interview before Shannahan, Gruden, Cowher, or Holmgren show up in Burgundy and Gold.

Im just saying, don't be so quick to drink the Kool-Aid. Racism still exists. I applaud TO Killa for bringing this up, and I pray that all those who are not in the "minority" would take this issue seriously, because one day those in the majority may find themselves in the minority.

A wise man once said, "The first shall be last, and the last shall be first." Things have a way of correcting themselves, while teaching a valuable lesson. One would be wise to heed such a lesson.
Unless you're privy to their process, we have no idea what the timeframe involved here was. In fact, just think about the paragraph you wrote before the sentence I bolded. In it you say you doubt there was enough time to seriously consider a minority.

Well, explain then how there was enough time to seriously consider anyone? So are you assuming that Allen was picked for the job immediately after Cerrato resigned? Or are you assuming only Allen was identified as a candidate.

The time & the timing had nothing to do w/the Rooney Rule, the Skins had obviously been planning on making a move for a long time. How do you know who they talked to and how much they talked to them?

The league office said that the Skins complied w/the rule. That's enough for me. I don't think you can assume that the Skins didn't "seriously" consider a minority. Even if they didn't consider one seriously, I don't think you can assume that it's because they wanted a white GM, it's because they wanted a specific GM, one they feel fits the team & has a history w/them.

ON a somewhat related note. If Zorn is fired, which seems to be the consensus, I would love to see Jerry Gray get his chance as HC here. If not as a head coach, I hope he stays as DC & Blache retires.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 02:27 PM   #18
Special Teams
 
jgalecpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 458
Re: The rooney rule is it fair< did the redskins follow the rules

I believe in what Dr. King said. Judge people by the content of their character, not the color of their skin.

Quotas of any type tend to lead to problems, not solve them.
__________________
Theismann: You're wrong, the rule is wrong, the refs are wrong, and I'm right
jgalecpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 02:28 PM   #19
Playmaker
 
freddyg12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,540
Re: The Rooney rule is it fair< did the redskins follow the rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trample the Elderly View Post
There's no reason to be ashamed because you agree with me. Even your homeboy Saden does sometimes. It's rare, but it happens. All I want is the Redskins to win, be it with a black dude or not. Who gives a fuck?

I'll admit it. I'm too weak to carry the load of other people's resentments on my back. Let someone else do it.
dude, w/a name like Trample the Elderly, you've got help carry the load. It's Christmas after all!
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 02:31 PM   #20
Playmaker
 
Trample the Elderly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Three Chopt Virginia
Age: 36
Posts: 2,906
Re: The Rooney rule is it fair< did the redskins follow the rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyg12 View Post
dude, w/a name like Trample the Elderly, you've got help carry the load. It's Christmas after all!
That's a sick joke about our O-line. I really have nothing against the elderly except their driving skills. There's another thread for that.
__________________
A funny thing happened on the way to the temple. The moneychangers bought the priesthood.
Trample the Elderly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 02:47 PM   #21
Special Teams
 
SkinsFanSince91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Wash DC
Posts: 368
Re: The rooney rule is it fair< did the redskins follow the rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryfuhl View Post
Sources are saying that we interviewed at least one.. around 10 days ago or so.

What do you think is enough time to consider a minority? Does that vary from the time it takes to consider anybody else?

Do you have an statistics on the percentage of men that want these jobs? That are qualified?

It's ridiculous to look at it in terms of race when there are qualified people of many races. There are what.. 6 or 7 black head coaches? Right around 20pct of the coaches, which is a higher percentage than the actual racial demographics of the USA. Maybe not the same as players in the NFL, but honestly, not everyone that has played is good enough to coach.. or even become a broadcaster, so I don't really look at that argument much.

Coaches of all colors have had successes and failures and that is the way that it will remain. When we no longer have to bring race into the discussion it will be much better. Unfortunately it seems to come equally from both sides, it won't disappear just from the whites overlooking it.
I agree.

To answer your question. I do not have a formula or percentage to equate equality in the NFL, but I do believe a week is enough time for any franchise to ensure their due diligence..

All I want is to know who they interviewed, and maybe, just maybe have some of that information available after the selection is made.

It would have been nice to hear some of that information during the press conference. When none of that info ever comes out, then it just looks like the info that "we satisfied the commissioner's taste" seems like PR "smoke."

In short, the Rooney rule is a positive step in right direction to attaining parity in the executive ranks of the NFL coaching and management ranks, but process, in its current form, lacks transparency and allows teams to sidestep the spirit and intention of the rule. Changes could be made to enhance that original intent of the Rooney rule.
__________________
Without Struggle, there is no progress!

Jason Campbell is our guy! Lets RIde!!!

HAIL TO THE SKINS!!!
SkinsFanSince91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 03:11 PM   #22
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,275
Re: The rooney rule is it fair< did the redskins follow the rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
I'm with the people who say that it is unfair to waste the minority's time with the interview, when it is obvious that the team already has someone that they want to hire.

I would not want to be the minority person whose time is wasted just for the sake of a team pacifying the rule...
Exactly, this is my view also.

Rules and PC ideas like this are the main reasons race is even an issue in peoples' minds still. I do not see skin color, but if I were hiring and forced to consider (discriminate) it as a factor in recruiting and screening, it's unnecessarily making race a point of qualification/disqualification.
__________________
Not sent from a Droid, iPhone, Blackberry or toaster
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 03:14 PM   #23
Gamebreaker
 
tryfuhl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Waldorf, MD
Age: 31
Posts: 12,514
Re: The rooney rule is it fair< did the redskins follow the rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinsFanSince91 View Post
I agree.

To answer your question. I do not have a formula or percentage to equate equality in the NFL, but I do believe a week is enough time for any franchise to ensure their due diligence..

All I want is to know who they interviewed, and maybe, just maybe have some of that information available after the selection is made.

It would have been nice to hear some of that information during the press conference. When none of that info ever comes out, then it just looks like the info that "we satisfied the commissioner's taste" seems like PR "smoke."

In short, the Rooney rule is a positive step in right direction to attaining parity in the executive ranks of the NFL coaching and management ranks, but process, in its current form, lacks transparency and allows teams to sidestep the spirit and intention of the rule. Changes could be made to enhance that original intent of the Rooney rule.
Teams usually don't air out things like that and I'm not sure why it would change for our situation. Anybody who knows who they want is giving more than one interview out on a guy that they don't plan on hiring, regardless of race. It would be in bad taste to announce the guys that you didn't select in the press conference.

If the Rooney Rule contributed to some of the successful black coaches then I agree that it was a good step. Many of them have proven that they can lead teams quite well.
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 03:18 PM   #24
MVP
 
dmek25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: lancaster,pa
Age: 52
Posts: 10,518
Re: The Rooney rule is it fair< did the redskins follow the rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trample the Elderly View Post
There's no reason to be ashamed that you agree with me. Even your homeboy Saden does sometimes. It's rare, but it happens. All I want is the Redskins to win, be it with a black dude or not. Who gives a fuck?

I'll admit it. I'm too weak to carry the load of other people's resentments on my back. Let someone else do it.
i definitely agree with this. twice in one day, no wonder the snow is coming
__________________
"It's better to be quiet and thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt."
courtesy of 53fan
dmek25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 03:55 PM   #25
The Starter
 
warriorzpath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,659
Re: The rooney rule is it fair< did the redskins follow the rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
I'm with the people who say that it is unfair to waste the minority's time with the interview, when it is obvious that the team already has someone that they want to hire.

I would not want to be the minority person whose time is wasted just for the sake of a team pacifying the rule...
It's not a waste of time when at least they are given a chance, even if it's a small chance that they may get the job.

That's all you can ask for is a chance.
warriorzpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 03:58 PM   #26
Playmaker
 
Trample the Elderly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Three Chopt Virginia
Age: 36
Posts: 2,906
Re: The rooney rule is it fair< did the redskins follow the rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorzpath View Post
It's not a waste of time when at least they are given a chance, even if it's a small chance that they may get the job.

That's all you can ask for is a chance.
Real MOFOs don't ask!
__________________
A funny thing happened on the way to the temple. The moneychangers bought the priesthood.
Trample the Elderly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 04:16 PM   #27
Special Teams
 
elamin24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 170
Re: The rooney rule is it fair< did the redskins follow the rules

This whole thread is dumb. How do you define a "race"? Color, hair, what?
Tony Dungy is way lighter than some of my "white" friends. What percentage black do you have to be for rooney rule? Race is a MYTH people!!!!
__________________
good news for people who like bad news
elamin24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 04:18 PM   #28
Living Legend
 
Ruhskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 16,189
Re: The rooney rule is it fair< did the redskins follow the rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by elamin24 View Post
This whole thread is dumb. How do you define a "race"? Color, hair, what?
Tony Dungy is way lighter than some of my "white" friends. What percentage black do you have to be for rooney rule? Race is a MYTH people!!!!
__________________
R.I.P. #21

New words created on The Warpath:
Rewalsr - Somretimes - Fualt - Jersesy - Itiot - Composetory
Afeard - Storgn - Empliment - Gaissn - Saftys - Minnisota
Faviort - Hatter - Phsyched - Foof - Heloing - Brutual
Stroried

"Give an opinion and move on. Your life doesn't depend on winning the internet." -FRPLG
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 04:21 PM   #29
The Starter
 
rbanerjee23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,429
Re: The rooney rule is it fair< did the redskins follow the rules

whatevs i want to see what allen can do
__________________
"Tough times don't last but tough people do"

-Mike Shanahan

HTTR
rbanerjee23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 04:27 PM   #30
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: The rooney rule is it fair< did the redskins follow the rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinsFanSince91 View Post
I agree.

To answer your question. I do not have a formula or percentage to equate equality in the NFL, but I do believe a week is enough time for any franchise to ensure their due diligence..

All I want is to know who they interviewed, and maybe, just maybe have some of that information available after the selection is made.

It would have been nice to hear some of that information during the press conference. When none of that info ever comes out, then it just looks like the info that "we satisfied the commissioner's taste" seems like PR "smoke."

In short, the Rooney rule is a positive step in right direction to attaining parity in the executive ranks of the NFL coaching and management ranks, but process, in its current form, lacks transparency and allows teams to sidestep the spirit and intention of the rule. Changes could be made to enhance that original intent of the Rooney rule.
Well if an owner is dumb enough to not look at what they feel is the most qualified person because of their color then thats their stupid ass. If I was black the last person I would want to work for or with is the person forced to do so.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.31587 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25