Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Report: Shanahan to DC done deal

Redskins Locker Room


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2009, 11:23 AM   #136
Playmaker
 
WaldSkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Age: 31
Posts: 2,726
Re: Report: Shanahan to DC done deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins89moss View Post
Well Zorn did the best he could but it did not result in wins. I like the coaching staff we have now except Zorn is not head coaching material. If Gruden or Shanahan is not the next coach let Blache or Sherm Lewis get a shot at the HC positon. Didn't Shanahan draft Maurice Claret in the 3rd round?. That was a reach pick.
What has Blache done that has warranted a Head coaching job? Is it the way he turned Laron Landry into a dynamic FREE safety?
__________________
"I would change that around, Jesus isn't Cutler. I guarantee you Jesus couldnt thread the ball like Jay does."-Monksdown
WaldSkins is offline  

Advertisements
Old 12-19-2009, 11:29 AM   #137
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,458
Re: Report: Shanahan to DC done deal

For what's it worth, I think Portis is gone. Big contract or not.
12thMan is offline  
Old 12-19-2009, 11:55 AM   #138
No new threads for you
 
pg86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,959
Re: Report: Shanahan to DC done deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryfuhl View Post
well hopefully he'll still be good Monday then :p
Whoops u know what I meant..Hey Finals week has been hell!
pg86 is offline  
Old 12-19-2009, 11:59 AM   #139
The Starter
 
jamf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: San Diego Ca
Posts: 2,404
Re: Report: Shanahan to DC done deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
For what's it worth, I think Portis is gone. Big contract or not.

Shanny loves Portis.
I think we will see a rebirth of CP in the stretch running offense.
jamf is offline  
Old 12-19-2009, 12:16 PM   #140
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,458
Re: Report: Shanahan to DC done deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamf View Post
Shanny loves Portis.
I think we will see a rebirth of CP in the stretch running offense.
Really? Why'd he trade him then? And this isn't the same Clinton Portis he traded five years ago? And Bruce Allen, our new GM and all, said he's not a fan of folks that don't practice day in and day out.

I'm not so sure it's a gimme that Portis is staying just because Shanny is coming here.
12thMan is offline  
Old 12-19-2009, 12:36 PM   #141
Playmaker
 
Longtimefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Germantown, Md.
Posts: 4,832
Re: Report: Shanahan to DC done deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven View Post
Chuck Noll was 1-13, 5-9, and 6-8 in first three seasons with Pittsburgh. So yes, there is something to be said for patience with head coaches. Could it be that Zorn just needs one more year to "learn" how to be a head coach? Maybe. But are we willing to wait for his on-the-job-training to be complete?

In this day and age, with the league structured the way it currently is, I just don't think you can do that.

Whether we're a team that needs to be blown up and rebuilt from the foundation up, or if we're a team on the verge that's just a player or two away, there needs to be a coach here with experience, and a track record of sustained success. I just don't think you can afford to bring Zorn back and hope that he's the guy who can do that.
I agree in part and I think your reasoning is well founded. However , in Zorn's case management knew what they were getting. It's not like they brought in a coach with a fancy resume and handed him a team that was on the cusp of winning a championship. It's like sending a PCP to perform open heart surgery and the patient dies on the operating table......then blaming the PCP because the patient died. I said that because IMO the hiring of Zorn was a situation where you knew going in that patience was going to be required if you have any intention of seeing what the eventual finished product is going to be.

But it's as you say, the way the league is constructed today where coaches are concerned, patience is a lost virture, it has come to win now at all cost and I'm not so sure in all cases that should be a mandated expectation. Remember, the more things change, the more they stay the same. You do express an interesting point of view however.
Longtimefan is offline  
Old 12-19-2009, 12:42 PM   #142
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,714
Re: Report: Shanahan to DC done deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
Really? Why'd he trade him then? And this isn't the same Clinton Portis he traded five years ago? And Bruce Allen, our new GM and all, said he's not a fan of folks that don't practice day in and day out.

I'm not so sure it's a gimme that Portis is staying just because Shanny is coming here.
CP is so done here. I mean the guy is a professional football player and he doesn't want to practice. WTF??? I just don't think the guy has ever been a true pro and that shit gets old when you're losing. It's time to move on.
skinsfan69 is offline  
Old 12-19-2009, 12:43 PM   #143
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 10,883
Re: Report: Shanahan to DC done deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
My biggest problem with Shanahan is that he's clearly more interested in coaching again then he is in winning ever again. I'd rather he go play his games somewhere else than my team.

He'll bring in Bob Slowik to be our DC, and Kyle Shanahan to be our OC, and well, we won't have much by way of a coaching staff. I don't think we'll have much of an edge over other playoff teams. But he would correct the major flaw in our rushing attack without majorly overhauling the blocking schemes, and we'd never have to worry about having crappy QB play, because I don't think Shanny would ever trade in Campbell for someone markedly worse than Campbell.

I think a Mike Shanahan offense would be fun to watch, but ultimately, we'd still play most of our games on the margin, and just never be a great super bowl threat under him. I really don't think Shanahan is coming back to win another super bowl. I think he just enjoys coaching a lot.

Which is fine. It's great actually. But we're only going to go as far as our talent carries us, and we don't have very many GREAT players, especially on the offensive side. We have functional talent (and youth), at times, around a pretty good quarterback, who again, isn't a guarantee to be back. A defense coached by Bob Slowik may or may not be better than a Blache coached defense (I can't imagine it would be worse), but again, Shanahan builds around the concept of comfort, rather than excellence.

In other words, I can see why Danny and Shanny are a good fit.
You eloquently described my fears about Shanny. In his latter years in Denver it seemed clear to me that he had lost his competitive fire and I'm not sure a year off will stoke it at his age. He will bring many positives to the table, to be sure. But I think that we'll end up being like his later Broncos teams: playoff contenders in good years, mediocre in bad years, but never really contending for a Lombardi.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is online now  
Old 12-19-2009, 12:54 PM   #144
Special Teams
 
Zorn on the 4th of July's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Tallahassee
Posts: 125
Re: Report: Shanahan to DC done deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
Really? Why'd he trade him then? And this isn't the same Clinton Portis he traded five years ago? And Bruce Allen, our new GM and all, said he's not a fan of folks that don't practice day in and day out.

So I'm so sure it's a gimme that Portis is staying just because Shanny is coming here.
Agreed, but Shanahan has consistently shown the ability to get high performance from relatively low profile backs. He traded Portis 5 years ago because he was confident that he could maintain success in the running game while getting the maximum value for Portis to shore up his defense.

I think Portis stays precisely BECAUSE he's not the Portis from 5 years ago, and his trade value is slightly lower than his value to the Redskins as their primary running back. If I'm Shanahan, I might as well work with somebody who is a known quantity, somebody who I might be able to motivate to get more involved in practice. Portis' mental algorithm that decided whether he practiced or not probably was based on risk-vs.-reward, which not only takes into account the state of his body, but the state of the team as well. All the up-and-comers behind Portis obviously had more to gain and less to risk by going all-out in practice. With a fresh start under Shanahan, the equation in Portis' brain changes a little. I actually can't blame Portis for sitting out, even before the concussion. The Redskins weren't a team worth risking your health for. Period.

From what we've learned, Bruce Allen was hired because Shanahan wanted him. He's a GM who admittedly is more of a contracts kind of guy rather than an evaluator of personnel. Just because he doesn't like people who don't practice every day doesn't mean he has any power to do something about it. He's a contracts guy, which is perfect.

2010 is going to be exciting, and not in the "this-year-might-be-our-year" kind of way. Don't forget that the salary cap may be coming off in 2010. Doesn't make too much of a difference for the 2010 season itself, but I'm now looking down the road. With our team's value and revenues, we may not be the NY Yankees of the NFL (Dallas), but the Boston Red Sox are definitely an appropriate comparison.
Zorn on the 4th of July is offline  
Old 12-19-2009, 01:15 PM   #145
Playmaker
 
Longtimefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Germantown, Md.
Posts: 4,832
Re: Report: Shanahan to DC done deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorn on the 4th of July View Post
Agreed, but Shanahan has consistently shown the ability to get high performance from relatively low profile backs. He traded Portis 5 years ago because he was confident that he could maintain success in the running game while getting the maximum value for Portis to shore up his defense.

I think Portis stays precisely BECAUSE he's not the Portis from 5 years ago, and his trade value is slightly lower than his value to the Redskins as their primary running back. If I'm Shanahan, I might as well work with somebody who is a known quantity, somebody who I might be able to motivate to get more involved in practice. Portis' mental algorithm that decided whether he practiced or not probably was based on risk-vs.-reward, which not only takes into account the state of his body, but the state of the team as well. All the up-and-comers behind Portis obviously had more to gain and less to risk by going all-out in practice. With a fresh start under Shanahan, the equation in Portis' brain changes a little. I actually can't blame Portis for sitting out, even before the concussion. The Redskins weren't a team worth risking your health for. Period.

From what we've learned, Bruce Allen was hired because Shanahan wanted him. He's a GM who admittedly is more of a contracts kind of guy rather than an evaluator of personnel. Just because he doesn't like people who don't practice every day doesn't mean he has any power to do something about it. He's a contracts guy, which is perfect.

2010 is going to be exciting, and not in the "this-year-might-be-our-year" kind of way. Don't forget that the salary cap may be coming off in 2010. Doesn't make too much of a difference for the 2010 season itself, but I'm now looking down the road. With our team's value and revenues, we may not be the NY Yankees of the NFL (Dallas), but the Boston Red Sox are definitely an appropriate comparison.
The Redskins are not a team worth Portis risking his health for: I doubt he has any problem finding his way to the bank. If that's actually the way he felt then that's a sad, sad proclimation coming from one considered to be a leader on your team.
__________________
A revolution is coming and it will be televised.
Longtimefan is offline  
Old 12-19-2009, 01:17 PM   #146
Playmaker
 
Paintrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Age: 44
Posts: 4,930
Re: Report: Shanahan to DC done deal

On NFL Sunday (Saturday) Countdown Mort said Shanahan is coming but it's not a done deal until after the season. Also, he said that last night Rich Gannon said that Allen told him that Kyle Shanahan is coming also. I think that's borderline tampering but it's heresay. Either way, the Texans were the #3 offense last year and are #8 this year (#10 in scoring) with Kyle as the OC.
__________________
Challenge Greatness! Be A Leader! Make A Difference!
Paintrain is offline  
Old 12-19-2009, 01:19 PM   #147
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,893
Re: Report: Shanahan to DC done deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
Thanks for texting that in Smoot. So what are the chances shanahan is our next coach?

It sounds like nothing will happen until the seasons over. Three weeks is a long time for something bad to happen and screw everything up - like Dallas firing wade Phillips. Dallas worries me - franchise qb, good young running backs... And Shanahan allegedly would rather coach there.

And if things do fall through, what's snyders plan b?
I don't know what plan b is quite honestly.

As for Shanahan as a coach here, I'm on the fence about it. I'm probably moreexcited about Kyle Shanahan. He's a good guy and I think going to make a very good, if not great, head coach one day.
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline  
Old 12-19-2009, 01:29 PM   #148
The Starter
 
jamf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: San Diego Ca
Posts: 2,404
Re: Report: Shanahan to DC done deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
Really? Why'd he trade him then? And this isn't the same Clinton Portis he traded five years ago? And Bruce Allen, our new GM and all, said he's not a fan of folks that don't practice day in and day out.

I'm not so sure it's a gimme that Portis is staying just because Shanny is coming here.

Because we traded the best pure cover corner in the league and a 2nd rounder.
jamf is offline  
Old 12-19-2009, 01:33 PM   #149
Registered User
 
BigHairedAristocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,917
Re: Report: Shanahan to DC done deal

i'm excited about kyle as well. one advantage of having mike shanahan as our head coach is that after 5 years or so, he could retire, turn the team over to kyle and stay on as team president. continuity.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline  
Old 12-19-2009, 01:33 PM   #150
Playmaker
 
Longtimefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Germantown, Md.
Posts: 4,832
Re: Report: Shanahan to DC done deal

If Shanahan is indeed named to be the next coach here I'm interested in seeing who's going to take credit for the hire, Snyder or Allen. Snyder says Allen has the authority let's see if it's actually his call.
Longtimefan is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.33320 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25