Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Report: Shanahan to DC done deal

Redskins Locker Room


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2009, 02:04 PM   #166
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,491
Re: Report: Shanahan to DC done deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackBack View Post
Those of you that think that Zorn should stay or will be a good coach elsewhere are morons. Do any of you remember what the offense was like when he was calling plays?

And I don't understand at all why anyone would not want Shanahan. Who do you want then?

Snyder finally makes some smart decisions and people still bitch? I think you all are just looking for something to be pissed about.

I like Zorn and feel bad for how his situation has been handled, but he will never be a good head coach and probably will never get the opportunity again after the shitfest in DC.
There's no reason to think Zorn can't ever be a good coach, just because he's not having success here
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline  

Advertisements
Old 12-19-2009, 02:06 PM   #167
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,491
Re: Report: Shanahan to DC done deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimefan View Post
It's total and absolute disrespect, and not just by Snyder, there are others involved. I give Zorn credit for being a real stand-up guy, if he weren't maybe he would do just what you said.
I remember Shanahan was in a similar, but not identical, situation back in the mid-1990s when the Niners were trying to move Seifert out and name Shanahan the head coach. Even though the Niners were on their way to the SB. Difference is Shanahan was on the staff at the time
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline  
Old 12-19-2009, 02:07 PM   #168
Camp Scrub
 
44 70 chip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 60
Re: Report: Shanahan to DC done deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
Who do you think traded him to us?
Trade.... thats a mild way to put it... more like Bent Cerrato over with a sand-paper jimmy hat.
44 70 chip is offline  
Old 12-19-2009, 02:08 PM   #169
Playmaker
 
Longtimefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Germantown, Md.
Posts: 4,832
Re: Report: Shanahan to DC done deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
Just like I heard people saying JGibbs1 started out bad, and the owner stayed with him and he won a few SB's for us. I loved the comparison when I heard it cause in reality there's no comparison. ....JGibbs1 went 0-5 re-evaluated his scheme and changed it to work with the players he had. That's the mark of a great HC. He ended 8-8. The following year he had a better season he didn't get worse.

Zorn went 6-2 and then went 2-6 to end up 8-8. He got worse the second half of the year. Most likely due to injuries. If so one would think come this season with everyone healthy he starts out great but we didn't. He got worse.

It took Sherm Lewis to come in and fix what Zorn could not over a 16 game span. I took Sherm Lewis 3 games to get the Skins scoring over 30 points. If Zorn stays he needs to go back to what he does best....coach QB's. Will he take a demotion? I'm betting not. I would love for him to stay, take the demotion, and keep his pay he has now since we will be paying him anyway unless he resigns. Speaking of because he is still under contract for one more year could DS tell Zorn he is demoting him to QB coach? I would imagine Zorn would say no way and resign but if he didn't we would have a good QB coach.

I personally think Holmgren is going to take the Browns job and probably take Zorn with him in some type of capacity to help train him for he future. Just my personal feeling.
There were not many who found a great deal of fault in Zorn when his record was 6-2. You stay in or fall out of favor through your won and loss record. I agree with skinsfan69, you win with palyers not coaches. It too easy to lay the blame for losing on one person, if it were that simple it would be oh so easy to fix.
Longtimefan is offline  
Old 12-19-2009, 02:12 PM   #170
Camp Scrub
 
44 70 chip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 60
Re: Report: Shanahan to DC done deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven View Post
Exactly. And couldn't it be that Cutler's performance has suffered due to Shanahan's departure?
Could it have anything to do with "having to learn a new system" (Campbell excuse #1)

Maybe but it surely has something to do with having a CORNER BACK converted to WR and a Kick returner, as his main Tagets outside the TE.
44 70 chip is offline  
Old 12-19-2009, 03:57 PM   #171
Registered User
 
SBXVII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,766
Re: Report: Shanahan to DC done deal

[quote=Longtimefan;642407]There were not many who found a great deal of fault in Zorn when his record was 6-2. You stay in or fall out of favor through your won and loss record. I agree with skinsfan69, you win with palyers not coaches. It too easy to lay the blame for losing on one person, if it were that simple it would be oh so easy to fix.[/quote]

Um, It was. I pointed it out. Sherm Lewis came in and watched for one game then had us scoring over 20 points for 2 games the has had us scoring over 30 points the last 2 games. Your right ...you are what your record says you are, and Zorn has shown he could not fix the problem, he could not re-evaluate his scheme to his players abilities, to him it was all about the players not "executing" his plays or game plan right. It's pretty obvious who solved the riddle of how to get the team playing like they are now.

I'm just supprised at all the love of wanting everyone to keep him as HC when he's proven not to get the job done. I heard on the radio the other day that Sherm Lewis is actually calling the run plays to to an extent. He calls the pass plays and when he wants a run play he calls down to Sherm Smith and tells him what type of run play he wants sent in. Basically calling a type of run play that gives JC an option out of if the defense picks up that its a run and gives JC another option...a pass play. I keep hearing how Zorn's plays were limited to simply running the play sent in. Without an option a lot of the plays didn't go anywhere. Now why would it take someone outside of the team to figure this out and fix the problem? Why couldn't Zorn figure this out? I like Zorn and hope if he doesn't work out here perhaps as QB coach (which I doubt happens) he gets another job elsewhere. I think he's a great QB coach.
SBXVII is offline  
Old 12-19-2009, 04:26 PM   #172
Playmaker
 
Longtimefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Germantown, Md.
Posts: 4,832
Re: Report: Shanahan to DC done deal

[quote=SBXVII;642419]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimefan View Post
There were not many who found a great deal of fault in Zorn when his record was 6-2. You stay in or fall out of favor through your won and loss record. I agree with skinsfan69, you win with palyers not coaches. It too easy to lay the blame for losing on one person, if it were that simple it would be oh so easy to fix.[/quote]

Um, It was. I pointed it out. Sherm Lewis came in and watched for one game then had us scoring over 20 points for 2 games the has had us scoring over 30 points the last 2 games. Your right ...you are what your record says you are, and Zorn has shown he could not fix the problem, he could not re-evaluate his scheme to his players abilities, to him it was all about the players not "executing" his plays or game plan right. It's pretty obvious who solved the riddle of how to get the team playing like they are now.

I'm just supprised at all the love of wanting everyone to keep him as HC when he's proven not to get the job done. I heard on the radio the other day that Sherm Lewis is actually calling the run plays to to an extent. He calls the pass plays and when he wants a run play he calls down to Sherm Smith and tells him what type of run play he wants sent in. Basically calling a type of run play that gives JC an option out of if the defense picks up that its a run and gives JC another option...a pass play. I keep hearing how Zorn's plays were limited to simply running the play sent in. Without an option a lot of the plays didn't go anywhere. Now why would it take someone outside of the team to figure this out and fix the problem? Why couldn't Zorn figure this out? I like Zorn and hope if he doesn't work out here perhaps as QB coach (which I doubt happens) he gets another job elsewhere. I think he's a great QB coach.
I have no problem with your assessment but keep in mind along with Sherman Lewis taking over the playcalling, other circumstances changed for the better as well. The line that had been in constant flux began to block better and the QB was not looking at the sky all the time for receiers.

If you're only going to give a rookie coach a year and a day to prove himself, then that's a coach you should not have hired in the first place. That's the best I can say in defense of Zorn. All the weaknesses you point out about Zorn, management should have known when they hired him, he's an inexperienced coach that has never even been a coordinator at any level. The question then becomes, what more could you expect except trial and error? The team cannot blame Zorn, they have only to look in the mirror.
Longtimefan is offline  
Old 12-19-2009, 04:47 PM   #173
The Starter
 
44Deezel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Davidsonville
Posts: 1,605
Re: Report: Shanahan to DC done deal

[quote=Longtimefan;642422]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post

I have no problem with your assessment but keep in mind along with Sherman Lewis taking over the playcalling, other circumstances changed for the better as well. The line that had been in constant flux began to block better and the QB was not looking at the sky all the time for receiers.

If you're only going to give a rookie coach a year and a day to prove himself, then that's a coach you should not have hired in the first place. That's the best I can say in defense of Zorn. All the weaknesses you point out about Zorn, management should have known when they hired him, he's an inexperienced coach that has never even been a coordinator at any level. The question then becomes, what more could you expect except trial and error? The team cannot blame Zorn, they have only to look in the mirror.
Before Samuels went down in week 5, the O line was doing fine. What's the excuse for the poor play over the first 4 weeks, which included games against the Lions and Chiefs??? The O line excuse wasn't a valid excuse until after the Panthers game. Zorn? Portis? Campbell? All of the above?
44Deezel is offline  
Old 12-19-2009, 05:03 PM   #174
Playmaker
 
Longtimefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Germantown, Md.
Posts: 4,832
Re: Report: Shanahan to DC done deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackBack View Post
Those of you that think that Zorn should stay or will be a good coach elsewhere are morons. Do any of you remember what the offense was like when he was calling plays?

And I don't understand at all why anyone would not want Shanahan. Who do you want then?

Snyder finally makes some smart decisions and people still bitch? I think you all are just looking for something to be pissed about.

I like Zorn and feel bad for how his situation has been handled, but he will never be a good head coach and probably will never get the opportunity again after the shitfest in DC.
Some of the people here that have made a pitch for Zorn are very intelligent IMO. I have been reading their post for years and consider them very knowledgable. To label one a moron because they don't neccessarily agree with you makes one wonder just who the moron really is.

Never say never about the potential outcome of any situation. Zorn could go on to become a very good coach in this league. Unfortunately for him it's not likely to be with the Redskins.

No hard feelings, just wanted to point out the fact we don't appreciate being labled that way.
Longtimefan is offline  
Old 12-19-2009, 05:14 PM   #175
Playmaker
 
Longtimefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Germantown, Md.
Posts: 4,832
Re: Report: Shanahan to DC done deal

[quote=44Deezel;642428]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimefan View Post

Before Samuels went down in week 5, the O line was doing fine. What's the excuse for the poor play over the first 4 weeks, which included games against the Lions and Chiefs??? The O line excuse wasn't a valid excuse until after the Panthers game. Zorn? Portis? Campbell? All of the above?
The O-line was not doing fine from the time Randy Thomas went down, it was a mad scramble from that point on. And yes all the above are contributing factors as well.
Longtimefan is offline  
Old 12-19-2009, 05:33 PM   #176
Pro Bowl
 
Beemnseven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Virginia Beach
Age: 40
Posts: 5,293
Re: Report: Shanahan to DC done deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultBrennan59 View Post
According to PFT another team has entered the shanahan race and it is a playoff team...I think old man potter (jerry jones) is up to no good...
Cowboys are a playoff team? They could wind up 8-8 if they're not careful.

Which would only mean Shanahan is more of a possibility.
Beemnseven is offline  
Old 12-19-2009, 05:36 PM   #177
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,491
Re: Report: Shanahan to DC done deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven View Post
Cowboys are a playoff team? They could wind up 8-8 if they're not careful.

Which would only mean Shanahan is more of a possibility.
The article says team in playoff contention, and they said the obvious guesses-Cowboys and Texans.
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline  
Old 12-19-2009, 05:41 PM   #178
Pro Bowl
 
Beemnseven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Virginia Beach
Age: 40
Posts: 5,293
Re: Report: Shanahan to DC done deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
The article says team in playoff contention, and they said the obvious guesses-Cowboys and Texans.
If the Cowboys lure away Shanahan I would seriously be bummed out.
Beemnseven is offline  
Old 12-19-2009, 06:17 PM   #179
Camp Scrub
 
CrackBack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: CT
Posts: 42
Re: Report: Shanahan to DC done deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimefan View Post
Some of the people here that have made a pitch for Zorn are very intelligent IMO. I have been reading their post for years and consider them very knowledgable. To label one a moron because they don't neccessarily agree with you makes one wonder just who the moron really is.

Never say never about the potential outcome of any situation. Zorn could go on to become a very good coach in this league. Unfortunately for him it's not likely to be with the Redskins.

No hard feelings, just wanted to point out the fact we don't appreciate being labled that way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
There's no reason to think Zorn can't ever be a good coach, just because he's not having success here


You are both right that Zorn may be able to head a team somewhere else, and to call supporters morons is a little harsh. But look at what he has done. He has not moved this offense at all. And that is really what his specialty is. I don't think he has the game knowledge to lead a team strategically.

With that said. He has been able to take a team that has no reason to play and somehow motivate them to play with heart. It's a very strong accomplishment in my book. But to say that unfortunately he wont get a chance to coach in DC is strange to me. The man has been a failure here -- that is what is unfortunate.
CrackBack is offline  
Old 12-19-2009, 06:27 PM   #180
MVP
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 46
Posts: 12,157
Re: Report: Shanahan to DC done deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackBack View Post
You are both right that Zorn may be able to head a team somewhere else, and to call supporters morons is a little harsh. But look at what he has done. He has not moved this offense at all. And that is really what his specialty is. I don't think he has the game knowledge to lead a team strategically.

With that said. He has been able to take a team that has no reason to play and somehow motivate them to play with heart. It's a very strong accomplishment in my book. But to say that unfortunately he wont get a chance to coach in DC is strange to me. The man has been a failure here -- that is what is unfortunate.
There is only one quality that Zorn has displayed that can possibly save his job. And that is leadership. IF he guides this team to wins over the Giants and Dallas, and Bruce Allen sees that it is his actions, not that he is just a part of this system but is actually leading and "guiding" 53 men together to victory, I think he could stay, with a new OC, etc. But I think he has to understand that it is a tenuous chance, and that the club needs to do due diligence in bringing a working FO and coaching structure to OUR team Danny boy lol.
CRedskinsRule is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.34794 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25