Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


What if Fred started 16 games?

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2009, 11:22 AM   #61
Registered User
 
BigHairedAristocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,917
Re: What if Fred started 16 games?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
I would say Cooley is peaking... peaked makes it sound as if he's on the downside to me.
maybe peaking is a better tense of the verb. Either way, Cooley is as good as he's ever going to be right now. He can probably maintain it for another 5 years or so, but then he'll start to decline. Davis has nothing but upside and because of his younger age, he could be more productive for us for a longer period of time.

If there is a salary cap, I can see holding on to Davis and Cooley together for one more year and then trading Davis next offseason (negligible cap hit). However, there's absolutely no reason i can see to keep both of them for much longer than that. If there is no cap, Cooley makes the most sense to move now.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-23-2009, 12:01 PM   #62
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 35
Posts: 12,623
Re: What if Fred started 16 games?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44Deezel View Post
Because they are both expensive and the team has big holes elsewhere. Davis started 14 games? Cooley had 6TDs in a full season. Davis has 6 TDs, has only started a handful of games and still has 2 to go. I don't know why this is even a legit discussion. TEs are not THAT important, let alone 2 of them. Who was the Pats TE when they won 3?
Comparing Cooley's numbers to Davis this year doesn't really make any sense. Cooley was pacing for yet another pro-bowl year before he got hurt despite a pathetic offense and no Sherm Lewis calling plays. Davis has stepped in and been great, but his time as a starter began right when our offense decided to move the ball. No reason to think Cooley's numbers wouldn't be stellar if he was playing right now.
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 12:25 PM   #63
Playmaker
 
mlmdub130's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 3,158
Re: What if Fred started 16 games?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
His 1 TD last year was a bit of a fluke, prior to last year he was averaging nearly 7 per year.

And prior to his injury this year he had 29 catches in 6 starts. That's nearly 5 per game, or a pretty healthy 80 catch season pace.

Hey I'm all for looking into trade options too, I just think it's funny how all of a sudden Davis is everyone's hero and Cooley is on the back burner when really, there is no drastic difference in their level of production.
thank you
__________________
"I don't think anybody should have regrets, especially me, ... You don't regret what you do in your life. If you do it, you do it for a reason."

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 12:29 PM   #64
The Starter
 
jamf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: San Diego Ca
Posts: 2,313
Re: What if Fred started 16 games?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Yeah and he's 6'5 and weighs 255lbs. Did you see him play at USC?? He's a baller. All this guy needs is to keep learning how to be a pro and the sky is the limit for this kid. I think we've got a keeper with Davis. Sorry Cooley but you're trade bait cause this guy a physical presense in the red zone.
I was talking About Mitchell! I'm ready to buy a FD Jersey but don't want to jinx him...
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 12:34 PM   #65
The Starter
 
jamf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: San Diego Ca
Posts: 2,313
Re: What if Fred started 16 games?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
one would think cooley would garner us more compensation in a trade. his contract is huge; whereas davis is cheap. Cooley has peaked, whereas Davis has tons more upside.
It's the other way around, Teams want to trade for young cheap guys with lots of potential.

Davis is better trade bait IMO.
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 12:59 PM   #66
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,456
Re: What if Fred started 16 games?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamf View Post
It's the other way around, Teams want to trade for young cheap guys with lots of potential.

Davis is better trade bait IMO.
I disagree. Unless you get a first round pick for Davis, which you won't, there's nothing but downside to trading him. He's one year removed from being a rookie, isn't anywhere close to hitting his potential, and yet he's already paying dividends worthy of a second round pick.

His true value will only be realized if he stays with the burgundy and gold, keeps punching the clock and keep producing.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 01:00 PM   #67
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,456
Re: What if Fred started 16 games?

I guess what I'm saying is, yes Davis is trade bait but more than likely the Redskins would get the short end of the stick by doing so.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 01:17 PM   #68
Inactive
 
KLHJ2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: DC Metro Area
Age: 35
Posts: 5,829
Re: What if Fred started 16 games?

What if "C-A-T" really spelled Dog?
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 01:48 PM   #69
Registered User
 
BigHairedAristocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,917
Re: What if Fred started 16 games?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamf View Post
It's the other way around, Teams want to trade for young cheap guys with lots of potential.

Davis is better trade bait IMO.
Well i said if compensation were equal... A team rebuilding like us, might be more interested in Davis. A team that felt it was one TE away from a superbowl, or one wanting a TE who could also play HB would probably be more interested in Cooley.

That said, potential compensation will probably not be equal and I agree teams would be more inclined to trade for Davis.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 01:52 PM   #70
Registered User
 
BigHairedAristocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,917
Re: What if Fred started 16 games?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
I disagree. Unless you get a first round pick for Davis, which you won't, there's nothing but downside to trading him. He's one year removed from being a rookie, isn't anywhere close to hitting his potential, and yet he's already paying dividends worthy of a second round pick.

His true value will only be realized if he stays with the burgundy and gold, keeps punching the clock and keep producing.
Exactly. If anything, we should hold on to Davis (he's cheap) next year and trade him after the 2010 season. As long as Cooley's here,we certainly won't get him to resign here when his rookie contract expires after the 2011 season. We'd be better of getting a 2nd round pick for him in 2012 than letting him walk and getting a later-round compensatory pick for him in 2013.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 02:18 PM   #71
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,993
Re: What if Fred started 16 games?

Davis should be the starting TE next year. Cooley should stay in the starting lineup, replacing the FB in the offense. He can play in the backfield, or on the line, or in the slot and be used to create mismatches all over the field.

I believe you Washingtonian's call it an "H-Back".
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 02:41 PM   #72
Playmaker
 
Longtimefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Germantown, Md.
Posts: 4,832
Re: What if Fred started 16 games?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee9718 View Post
Oh, how quickly we forget the best that we have. Cooley is a Redskin, and I can't say let's replace him just because he got hurt and Davis plays in his place. If we had Cooley right now we might be looking at different plays being called with two tight ends in the lineup. Nope, I can't agree to a trade of Cooley for a 3rd round pick!
You must admit though his play does sort of make us forget he overslept wouldn't you agree?
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 03:11 PM   #73
The Starter
 
44Deezel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Davidsonville
Posts: 1,621
Re: What if Fred started 16 games?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
Comparing Cooley's numbers to Davis this year doesn't really make any sense. Cooley was pacing for yet another pro-bowl year before he got hurt despite a pathetic offense and no Sherm Lewis calling plays. Davis has stepped in and been great, but his time as a starter began right when our offense decided to move the ball. No reason to think Cooley's numbers wouldn't be stellar if he was playing right now.
Great. So we have 2 pro-bowl caliber TEs. Get rid of one of them. The older one preferably. I can't think of a single team that won the Super Bowl, BECAUSE they had 2 great pass catching TEs. Hell, you can get by without even 1 really good pass catching TE.

Using pure logic and treating it purely as a business decision, Cooley should go. Nothing personal.
44Deezel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 03:16 PM   #74
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,993
Re: What if Fred started 16 games?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44Deezel View Post
Great. So we have 2 pro-bowl caliber TEs. Get rid of one of them. The older one preferably. I can't think of a single team that won the Super Bowl, BECAUSE they had 2 great pass catching TEs. Hell, you can get by without even 1 really good pass catching TE.

Using pure logic and treating it purely as a business decision, Cooley should go. Nothing personal.
This is a horrible solution to the "not enough quality skill position players" issue. I mean, you can use the pick received to draft a wide receiver or a running back who you hope can be a better compliment to Davis than Cooley can, but this isn't exactly the Tony Gonzalez situation all over again.

If we're not planning to be competitive in the NFC East before Cooley is 33 and offering only experience in the TE position as his only skill, we've hired the wrong guy.

I think we'd be best off trading Devin Thomas or Malcolm Kelly to open up room for Marko Mitchell to play, or Santana Moss, or Laron Landry than someone who is providing a relatively inexpensive solution to a major need in the offense: someone who will get open and catch the ball.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 03:20 PM   #75
What will Shanny do this offseason?
 
diehardskin2982's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,318
Re: What if Fred started 16 games?

what are you guys thoughts on a DeAngello Williams for Cooley trade?
__________________
That got ugly fast
diehardskin2982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.29046 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25