Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Shanahan presser thread

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2010, 05:24 PM   #166
Playmaker
 
CrustyRedskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: RatherbeinDC, TX
Posts: 2,542
Re: Shanahan presser thread

The draft is such a crap shoot. You never know what your getting. This thread is gatting out of hand.
CrustyRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-07-2010, 06:14 PM   #167
Quietly Dominating the East
 
Hog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 9,064
Re: Shanahan presser thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
you change and learn from your mistakes, but if you are inherently bad at something, you're not going to get much better at it. as has been stated a number of times, one of the main reasons shanahan failed when wearing the GM hat in denver is because coaching took up so much of his time, he didn't have enough left to do the proper due dilligence to ensure he made good personnel decisions. Shanahan won't have any more time here, so it would be completely foolish to think he would do any better than he did in Denver in making good personnel decisions. There is only so much time in the day. With Bruce Allen, its simply not one of his strengths. Its more reasonable to think he can simply improve. However, you have to remember that both of these guys were fired within the past year because they "sucked" at being GMs. its unreasonable to expect them to be much better than they were in such a short period of time. A third "piece to the puzzle" needs to be added.
The core of your remarks are subjective, speculative and a matter of assumption on your part. As you point out ina later post we only have so much time for "cutting and pasting"?
I'll leave it at this. One of us has to be wrong...I hope it's you!
HTTR
__________________
Goodbye Sean..........Vaya Con Dios
thankyou Joe.......
ďItís all the political correct idiots in America, thatís all it is. Itís got nothing to do with anything else.
-Mike Ditka
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:14 PM   #168
Playmaker
 
Paintrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Age: 43
Posts: 4,920
Re: Shanahan presser thread

I'd put their draft records as definitely hit and miss than 'more poor than good'. If you give a look at the Broncos '06 draft you've got 5 contributors (although Hixon on the Giants) while their '07 draft was a complete waste. The rest of the Broncos drafts are ok, not stellar but not crap either.

As for the Bucs drafts, '05 & '06 were decent, '07 & '08 were poor. Again hit and miss.
__________________
Challenge Greatness! Be A Leader! Make A Difference!
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:46 AM   #169
Playmaker
 
irish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,630
Re: Shanahan presser thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
I'd put their draft records as definitely hit and miss than 'more poor than good'. If you give a look at the Broncos '06 draft you've got 5 contributors (although Hixon on the Giants) while their '07 draft was a complete waste. The rest of the Broncos drafts are ok, not stellar but not crap either.

As for the Bucs drafts, '05 & '06 were decent, '07 & '08 were poor. Again hit and miss.
Most teams drafts are hit & miss which is why teams try to get as many picks as they can, to give them more chances for hits.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:10 AM   #170
Gamebreaker
 
tryfuhl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Waldorf, MD
Age: 30
Posts: 12,514
Re: Shanahan presser thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Buges doesn't fit with the zone blocking scheme Shanahan runs. I'm not sure what is delaying his retirement exactly, maybe he's just sticking around and wrapping up loose ends for now, but I don't see Buges coming back.
Because I really don't know the differences.. what is the difference in Shanahan's style of zone blocking vs the one that Bugel used to coach?

I don't see him coming back either though.
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:22 AM   #171
Gamebreaker
 
tryfuhl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Waldorf, MD
Age: 30
Posts: 12,514
Re: Shanahan presser thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
oh wow

why is it that all pedos seem to have that thin-lipped tightly drawn mouth look?
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:24 AM   #172
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,773
Re: Shanahan presser thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryfuhl View Post
Because I really don't know the differences.. what is the difference in Shanahan's style of zone blocking vs the one that Bugel used to coach?

I don't see him coming back either though.
Good question, I'm not sure
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:40 AM   #173
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,677
Re: Shanahan presser thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryfuhl View Post
oh wow

why is it that all pedos seem to have that thin-lipped tightly drawn mouth look?
And he's actually considered one of the best personnel men in the CFL. He's won three Grey Cups with three different teams as General Manager
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:13 AM   #174
Registered User
 
BigHairedAristocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,917
Re: Shanahan presser thread

Probably isnt the proper thread for this, as it wasnt from the Shanahan presser, but later on that day, Both Allen and Shanahan did interviews on the John Thompson show. The most interesting thing from both was with Allen. Thompson was talking about how many other talented coaches have come here to try and fix things and they hadnt successed. Thompson asked Allen what the difference was between Allen and Shanahan and everyone else. Allen said started with some generic BS... "well its a different time, different situation..." and then he said that 2010 was an "unprecedented year in that it WILL BE UNCAPPED." Unfortunately, Thompson cut him off there to go on a tangent about somethign else, so Allen couldnt elaborate. My thoughts:

- The owners are deliberately going to ensure a new CBA is not reached before the deadline because they WANT an uncapped year. really, the uncapped year only benefits teams as it will allow them to get rid of players with bloated contracts, keep young players an extra year on the cheap, and have an extra tag to prevent players who are free agents from leaving if they so chose. There is ZERO motivation for owners to get a new deal done right now. One will not get done. 2010 will be uncapped.

- The skins are going to take advantage of the uncapped year to the full. Not only will we release and trade players with bloated contracts, but we will be the kings of free agency, signing both expected free agents and those "surprise cuts" who are released by other teams who are doing the same thing as us (releasing guys they dont want anymore).

- As a result, our roster will be old. very very old. We will have assemble a veteran team that has 2, maybe 3 years to reach the superbowl. However, since the year is uncapped, we can structure contracts of these players to be front-heavy, so when a cap is re-established for 2011, we won't have the problems we currently have with guys like Portis, Samuels and Thomas, who's contracts far outweigh their actual value.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:26 AM   #175
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 10,622
Re: Shanahan presser thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
Probably isnt the proper thread for this, as it wasnt from the Shanahan presser, but later on that day, Both Allen and Shanahan did interviews on the John Thompson show. The most interesting thing from both was with Allen. Thompson was talking about how many other talented coaches have come here to try and fix things and they hadnt successed. Thompson asked Allen what the difference was between Allen and Shanahan and everyone else. Allen said started with some generic BS... "well its a different time, different situation..." and then he said that 2010 was an "unprecedented year in that it WILL BE UNCAPPED." Unfortunately, Thompson cut him off there to go on a tangent about somethign else, so Allen couldnt elaborate. My thoughts:

- The owners are deliberately going to ensure a new CBA is not reached before the deadline because they WANT an uncapped year. really, the uncapped year only benefits teams as it will allow them to get rid of players with bloated contracts, keep young players an extra year on the cheap, and have an extra tag to prevent players who are free agents from leaving if they so chose. There is ZERO motivation for owners to get a new deal done right now. One will not get done. 2010 will be uncapped.

- The skins are going to take advantage of the uncapped year to the full. Not only will we release and trade players with bloated contracts, but we will be the kings of free agency, signing both expected free agents and those "surprise cuts" who are released by other teams who are doing the same thing as us (releasing guys they dont want anymore).

- As a result, our roster will be old. very very old. We will have assemble a veteran team that has 2, maybe 3 years to reach the superbowl. However, since the year is uncapped, we can structure contracts of these players to be front-heavy, so when a cap is re-established for 2011, we won't have the problems we currently have with guys like Portis, Samuels and Thomas, who's contracts far outweigh their actual value.
1) It is possible that the owners are dragging their feet intentionally. But it is also true that everyone, owners and players, are waiting to see how the American Needle case shakes out. There's no point in designing a new CBA until that case is resolved.

2) The salary cap system is unlikely to return in a new CBA.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:30 AM   #176
Playmaker
 
Longtimefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Germantown, Md.
Posts: 4,832
Re: Shanahan presser thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
Probably isnt the proper thread for this, as it wasnt from the Shanahan presser, but later on that day, Both Allen and Shanahan did interviews on the John Thompson show. The most interesting thing from both was with Allen. Thompson was talking about how many other talented coaches have come here to try and fix things and they hadnt successed. Thompson asked Allen what the difference was between Allen and Shanahan and everyone else. Allen said started with some generic BS... "well its a different time, different situation..." and then he said that 2010 was an "unprecedented year in that it WILL BE UNCAPPED." Unfortunately, Thompson cut him off there to go on a tangent about somethign else, so Allen couldnt elaborate. My thoughts:

- The owners are deliberately going to ensure a new CBA is not reached before the deadline because they WANT an uncapped year. really, the uncapped year only benefits teams as it will allow them to get rid of players with bloated contracts, keep young players an extra year on the cheap, and have an extra tag to prevent players who are free agents from leaving if they so chose. There is ZERO motivation for owners to get a new deal done right now. One will not get done. 2010 will be uncapped.

- The skins are going to take advantage of the uncapped year to the full. Not only will we release and trade players with bloated contracts, but we will be the kings of free agency, signing both expected free agents and those "surprise cuts" who are released by other teams who are doing the same thing as us (releasing guys they dont want anymore).

- As a result, our roster will be old. very very old. We will have assemble a veteran team that has 2, maybe 3 years to reach the superbowl. However, since the year is uncapped, we can structure contracts of these players to be front-heavy, so when a cap is re-established for 2011, we won't have the problems we currently have with guys like Portis, Samuels and Thomas, who's contracts far outweigh their actual value.
The points you've made probably offers some insight to the latest thread about the prospects of Portis returning. Many look for the team to surely dismiss the likes of Samuels (who'll probably just retire on his own) Daniels, Wynn and even Portis among others whose value has diminished. While we will rid ourselves of some older players, others may be added.

Somehow I have a feeling that in this regard, Bruce Allen is much like his father, embracing the old "The future is now" doctrine, he has demonstrated a fondness for older players so it may be worth watching to see how this process plays with al those having in-put in the player selection process.
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:20 AM   #177
Registered User
 
BigHairedAristocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,917
Re: Shanahan presser thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
1) It is possible that the owners are dragging their feet intentionally. But it is also true that everyone, owners and players, are waiting to see how the American Needle case shakes out. There's no point in designing a new CBA until that case is resolved.
I need to read up on this american needle thing. PFT had an article on it but i didnt pay any attention to it. Will go back and take a look at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
2) The salary cap system is unlikely to return in a new CBA.
I've heard that stated before, but i've never seen a legitimate reason for it. Given that there wont be many (if any) marquee players available in free agency this offseason, i don't think there will be a big spending spree with players getting obscene amounts of money. I certainly don't think there's anyone that will get a contract approaching the deal Haynesworth signed. Thus, there's no reason for the players to really push for a capless CBA. And certainly the owners all want a cap. Sure, a few would prefer no to have a salary floor, but i imagine most of the owners benefit from the system, as they arent "forced" to spend ridiculous amounts of money to remain competitive.

so what am i missing? why is it you feel a cap won't come back?
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:22 AM   #178
Registered User
 
BigHairedAristocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,917
Re: Shanahan presser thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimefan View Post
The points you've made probably offers some insight to the latest thread about the prospects of Portis returning. Many look for the team to surely dismiss the likes of Samuels (who'll probably just retire on his own) Daniels, Wynn and even Portis among others whose value has diminished. While we will rid ourselves of some older players, others may be added.

Somehow I have a feeling that in this regard, Bruce Allen is much like his father, embracing the old "The future is now" doctrine, he has demonstrated a fondness for older players so it may be worth watching to see how this process plays with al those having in-put in the player selection process.
I can definitely see Julius Peppers being added... I just can't see Carolina paying to keep him and we know that Snyder, Shanahan, and Allen all love to spend on FA. That is one thing that concerns me, Gibbs "overdid it" when he returned to the NFL spending money like a kid in a candy store. Allen had such a stingy owner in Tampa Bay, he may be inclined to overdo it having an owner like Snyder. If there's no cap, I really don't care though... just worried about the potential implications if/when the cap returns.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:31 AM   #179
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 10,622
Re: Shanahan presser thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
I need to read up on this american needle thing. PFT had an article on it but i didnt pay any attention to it. Will go back and take a look at it.



I've heard that stated before, but i've never seen a legitimate reason for it. Given that there wont be many (if any) marquee players available in free agency this offseason, i don't think there will be a big spending spree with players getting obscene amounts of money. I certainly don't think there's anyone that will get a contract approaching the deal Haynesworth signed. Thus, there's no reason for the players to really push for a capless CBA. And certainly the owners all want a cap. Sure, a few would prefer no to have a salary floor, but i imagine most of the owners benefit from the system, as they arent "forced" to spend ridiculous amounts of money to remain competitive.

so what am i missing? why is it you feel a cap won't come back?
I do not have a lot of insight into the future of the cap but this is what I understand: The cap system appears done because the owners voluntarily opted out. It was a concession to the owners from the beginning, so I don't see players wanting to keep it alive if the owners do not. Therefore, if the owners lose the American Needle case in terms of labor issues, it would seem that some new system will be erected. If the owners win the American Needle case in terms of labor issues, then the point may be moot because free agency may disappear.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:44 AM   #180
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,677
Re: Shanahan presser thread

This would make for good discussion in the American Needle thread
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.34219 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25