Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Running Back Future

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2010, 05:49 PM   #1
Special Teams
 
cdskins26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 349
Running Back Future

With Portis' and Bett's latest injuries, and options to get rid of either or both of them next year, should the Redskins look into another option to play there?

The unrestricted free agents were not particularly impressive. Guys such as Darren Sproles, Jerious Norwood, Mike Bell, Jerome Harrison, etc could be signed for next year if we truly look to turn the page from Portis and move on. If one of them could be signed relatively cheap I may be okay with it.

Another option would be to look at mid to late round picks in the draft and consider guys such as Ryan Matthews from Fresno State or Dexter McCluster from Ole Miss. Other options may be Anthony Dixon from Mississippi State or Charles Scott at LSU.

Should we not bring anybody in, Does Ganther continue to get a shot, and do we keep an injury-prone and aging Betts or Portis?

Personally I think we should cut Betts and draft a running back in round 3 or 4. Keep Portis for one more year and continue to slowly rebuild.
cdskins26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-06-2010, 05:51 PM   #2
MVP
 
DynamiteRave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Washington DC
Age: 27
Posts: 11,850
Re: Running Back Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdskins26 View Post
With Portis' and Bett's latest injuries, and options to get rid of either or both of them next year, should the Redskins look into another option to play there?

The unrestricted free agents were not particularly impressive. Guys such as Darren Sproles, Jerious Norwood, Mike Bell, Jerome Harrison, etc could be signed for next year if we truly look to turn the page from Portis and move on. If one of them could be signed relatively cheap I may be okay with it.

Another option would be to look at mid to late round picks in the draft and consider guys such as Ryan Matthews from Fresno State or Dexter McCluster from Ole Miss. Other options may be Anthony Dixon from Mississippi State or Charles Scott at LSU.

Should we not bring anybody in, Does Ganther continue to get a shot, and do we keep an injury-prone and aging Betts or Portis?

Personally I think we should cut Betts and draft a running back in round 3 or 4. Keep Portis for one more year and continue to slowly rebuild.
Portis, Betts, Mason. Gone.

Keep Rock and Ganther, draft a RB. Find a FA.
__________________
Establishment, establishment, you always know what's best.

"We're officially horrible." -RedskinRat

I'm a chick, damnit.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:54 PM   #3
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 80,440
Re: Running Back Future

I'm not sure the book is closed just yet on CP. It's close though.

I think we definitely need to draft someone and look at free agent options. I don't see a long term solution on the roster. Rock, Mason, Ganther are just #3 types. Not feature backs or even a #2 guy.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:55 PM   #4
Gamebreaker
 
tryfuhl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Waldorf, MD
Age: 30
Posts: 12,514
Re: Running Back Future

What is a slow rebuild? Like we have 4 guys we can bring in but intentionally only get 2 of them?
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:01 PM   #5
Special Teams
 
cdskins26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 349
Re: Running Back Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryfuhl View Post
What is a slow rebuild? Like we have 4 guys we can bring in but intentionally only get 2 of them?
Draft a running back but keep Portis for a year before the running back is ready.
cdskins26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:03 PM   #6
MVP
 
DynamiteRave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Washington DC
Age: 27
Posts: 11,850
Re: Running Back Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdskins26 View Post
Draft a running back but keep Portis for a year before the running back is ready.
The other thread (About the Portis v. Campbell controversy) kinda proves that either JC or Portis isn't coming back. Like I said, too much ego on the team and after an exchange like that, you can't expect that these two guys really wanna work together anymore. After TO and McNabb got into it, guess who didn't come back?

The Ego.
__________________
Establishment, establishment, you always know what's best.

"We're officially horrible." -RedskinRat

I'm a chick, damnit.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:29 PM   #7
Special Teams
 
RedskinMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Odenton, MD
Age: 35
Posts: 300
Re: Running Back Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamiteRave View Post
The other thread (About the Portis v. Campbell controversy) kinda proves that either JC or Portis isn't coming back. Like I said, too much ego on the team and after an exchange like that, you can't expect that these two guys really wanna work together anymore. After TO and McNabb got into it, guess who didn't come back?

The Ego.
Heard they made up today.
RedskinMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:33 PM   #8
The Starter
 
dgack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: The ATX (formerly Balmer)
Posts: 1,125
Re: Running Back Future

Paging GTripp... if next year is uncapped, isn't that our magic window to unload CP and not take a massive hit for it?

If so, next year is like pirate amnesty day for bad backloaded contracts.
__________________
"To bring a Sherm Lewis in to a Jim Zorn and whoever his offensive coordinator is, it's like bringing in another man to help teach you how to make better love to your wife or something." -- Tre Johnson
dgack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:39 PM   #9
MVP
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 37
Posts: 11,017
Re: Running Back Future

Get rid of Portis and Rock....see what Betts and Ganther have and draft decent RB...
__________________
@RSherman_25 just make sure you stay in Seattle cause without that pass rush you are who we thought you were. 5th rd PK no speed good hands

DeAngelo Hall (@DeAngeloHall23) March 14, 2014
Chico23231 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:47 PM   #10
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 28
Posts: 14,424
Re: Running Back Future

I'd look for the team to acquire Peyton Hills, and though he has done much I'd like to see Norwood get a shot in Shanny's offense.
__________________
"Hey baby, wake up from your a sleep." -Zlad

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:53 PM   #11
Camp Scrub
 
CooleyFanOV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Norfolk, Va
Posts: 46
Re: Running Back Future

I read that Alridge was a Shanahan guy..if this is true, isn't it intresting that he was just signed to a futures contract recently. I believe that we stick with Portis if he gets his stuff together and in addition we keep Alridge as a kick returner/slasher RB...and I'm cool with that providing Portis shows up and Alridge protects the ball.
__________________
Although these are trying times..I'm actually happy to be right here, right now with the Redskins. I'm standing by our owner. Joe Gibbs instilled Dan Snyder with the tools to do the right thing. We will return to the glory days!
CooleyFanOV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:56 PM   #12
The Starter
 
jamf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: San Diego Ca
Posts: 2,312
Re: Running Back Future

Why isn't there a lineman future thread?


Both JC and CP will be back.
Shanny knows CP really well and he is just lighting a fire under him.
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:29 PM   #13
Camp Scrub
 
CHAMP757's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Newport News, Va
Posts: 20
Re: Running Back Future

the o-line should be priority number one,i would keep Betts and Q, and draft ryan mathhews if hes available later. Shanahan does have a proven track record of no-name RB's rushing for 1500 yds and about 12 tds
__________________
Officially jumped of the Clinton Portis bandwagon
CHAMP757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:34 PM   #14
MVP
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,365
Re: Running Back Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamf View Post
Why isn't there a lineman future thread?


Both JC and CP will be back.
Shanny knows CP really well and he is just lighting a fire under him.
Because as much as people moan and groan about how vinny operated, linemen aren't sexy for fans to talk about either, now throw out a sharp styling running back or speedster WR, and armchair gm's are all over them
__________________
Dirtbag59, sending songs to oblivion 1 writer at a time.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:55 PM   #15
Pro Bowl
 
Beemnseven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Virginia Beach
Age: 40
Posts: 5,293
Re: Running Back Future

I wouldn't consider drafting a running back until the 4th round or later. Of the free agents available, I'd say Jerious Norwood, but now we have to look at what might fit best for Shanahan's system. Big, bruising running backs don't appear to be his favorites.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.26861 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25