Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


ESPN's Schefter channels his energy into NFL

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2010, 03:03 PM   #16
Playmaker
 
artmonkforhallofamein07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Charleston , SC
Posts: 4,691
Re: ESPN's Schefter channels his energy into NFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskin Warrior View Post
I agree if JC fail draft Locker next year simple that way when Locker gets here he already has protection around him.

Exactly. The QB needs protection! You have to start with keeping a guy upright. Not to mention we are going to need Zone Blocking linemen. I really don't feel like we have those kinds of guys on the roster. So the line is going to need to be a big big rebuild this year.
__________________
Robert Griffin III welcome to the Washington Redskins!

Year 1 - NFC EAST Champions at 10-6

Year 2 - 3-10... Benched 14 weeks to late.....

Year 3 - Pure Awesomeness!!

http://site.fandangoracinginc.com/
artmonkforhallofamein07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-14-2010, 03:08 PM   #17
Pro Bowl
 
skinsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina
Posts: 6,530
Re: ESPN's Schefter channels his energy into NFL

It just makes more sense to me to worry more about building up the offensive line than the QB position this coming season. One question I'd like to know is, how strong will the QB class be in next year's draft?
__________________
Not the same Skinsguy that posts on ES.
skinsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 03:09 PM   #18
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,692
Re: ESPN's Schefter channels his energy into NFL

Why not draft a QB? It doesn't make much sense to just say let's just wait a year see what happens with Campbell and then get a QB in 2011. If we're in position to get one now, why not? He'll have a year in our system going into 2011.

I know we need linemen, but I think too many of us are thinking well let's just draft anyone that plays the position so we can pile up players in that position and hope a few stick. That doesn't make much sense to me. Plus, all the linemen in the world won't matter if there's no QB.
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 03:12 PM   #19
The Starter
 
rbanerjee23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,420
Re: ESPN's Schefter channels his energy into NFL

JC with even decent protection is a game winning quarterback...is he the next theismann? no, is he better than 60-70% of the qbs in the league? I think so
__________________
"Tough times don't last but tough people do"

-Mike Shanahan

HTTR
rbanerjee23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 03:16 PM   #20
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,275
Re: ESPN's Schefter channels his energy into NFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
If I recall correctly Plummer ran a lot of bootlegs, roll-outs, etc. under Shanahan. Stuff to get him on the move and also to probably cut the field in half and simplify his reads.
That's what Campbell will be doing, it's Shanahan's system. I think JC will do fine in it. Shanahan likes to play with half a field for his QBs, so when on a rollout to pass, he'll have 2 or 3 options right in front of him just at different yardages with a quick slant, a mid-depth WR and a deep option if open. Going through his targets will be fast and quick, decisions will be made quickly and he'll run for a lot of first downs when his receivers are covered. It seems like a system that is tailor-made for Campbell's abilities and deficiencies.
__________________
Not sent from a Droid, iPhone, Blackberry or toaster
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 03:18 PM   #21
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,275
Re: ESPN's Schefter channels his energy into NFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Why not draft a QB? It doesn't make much sense to just say let's just wait a year see what happens with Campbell and then get a QB in 2011. If we're in position to get one now, why not? He'll have a year in our system going into 2011.

I know we need linemen, but I think too many of us are thinking well let's just draft anyone that plays the position so we can pile up players in that position and hope a few stick. That doesn't make much sense to me. Plus, all the linemen in the world won't matter if there's no QB.
More importantly, as we should have learned this season especially, there is no QB without linemen.

The line needs to be the priority. Without a line, the passing and running games will never succeed, then it carries over into wearing down even the best defense.
__________________
Not sent from a Droid, iPhone, Blackberry or toaster
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 03:20 PM   #22
Playmaker
 
celts32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hackettstown NJ
Age: 43
Posts: 2,656
Re: ESPN's Schefter channels his energy into NFL

I don't know who said it but I heard someone say in reference to JC that the Redskins can win with Jason Campbell but they will never win because of him. That sums it up for me. I am tired of having average or slightly above average play at QB...I want a QB that can be the reason the Redskins win and pull games out of the fire that would be lost with most QB's. That's what most of the QB's left in this years playoffs can do. I don't know who it is but if Shanny thinks there is a QB like that in this draft then he damn well better try to draft him.
__________________
Section 115 Row 23

“Goal line, goal line. I-left, tight wing, 70 chip on white.”

http://victorybeer.com/
celts32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 03:24 PM   #23
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,275
Re: ESPN's Schefter channels his energy into NFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by celts32 View Post
I don't know who said it but I heard someone say in reference to JC that the Redskins can win with Jason Campbell but they will never win because of him. That sums it up for me. I am tired of having average or slightly above average play at QB...I want a QB that can be the reason the Redskins win and pull games out of the fire that would be lost with most QB's. That's what most of the QB's left in this years playoffs can do. I don't know who it is but if Shanny thinks there is a QB like that in this draft then he damn well better try to draft him.
So someone you can't remember said something you like and it's right to you?

If you remember who this person is, ask them their opinions on the offensive line and if he/she/it thinks it could affect a QB's play.
__________________
Not sent from a Droid, iPhone, Blackberry or toaster
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 03:27 PM   #24
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,692
Re: ESPN's Schefter channels his energy into NFL

I think sometimes people think saying you need strong line play makes you a more intelligent fan, as if saying QB play is important is something only casual, even ignorant fans who don't know any better would say.

Line play is important but too many of us are really underestimating the importance of good QB play. A good QB can make an average line look much better than it really is.
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 03:35 PM   #25
Playmaker
 
artmonkforhallofamein07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Charleston , SC
Posts: 4,691
Re: ESPN's Schefter channels his energy into NFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I think sometimes people think saying you need strong line play makes you a more intelligent fan, as if saying QB play is important is something only casual, even ignorant fans who don't know any better would say.

Line play is important but too many of us are really underestimating the importance of good QB play. A good QB can make an average line look much better than it really is.
I agree Smoot, but at the same time we need so much help. I am not saying I am an intelligent fan or I know how to build a football team , but at the same time I am a believer in you win the game in the trenches. Look at the Jets. Hell look at the Ravens.

DO you really feel that the guys in THIS draft class can go out and win games? I just don't see that player. Especially since most of the top guys are all hurt. The player you are looking for is there this year? That is where I am coming from. I don't see the guy in this draft who you are describing.

**EDIT***

Smoot if you feel that player is there then who is it? I am not starting a fight just want your opinion.
__________________
Robert Griffin III welcome to the Washington Redskins!

Year 1 - NFC EAST Champions at 10-6

Year 2 - 3-10... Benched 14 weeks to late.....

Year 3 - Pure Awesomeness!!

http://site.fandangoracinginc.com/
artmonkforhallofamein07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 03:36 PM   #26
Impact Rookie
 
Zerohero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: newport news, va
Age: 35
Posts: 757
Re: ESPN's Schefter channels his energy into NFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I think sometimes people think saying you need strong line play makes you a more intelligent fan, as if saying QB play is important is something only casual, even ignorant fans who don't know any better would say.

Line play is important but too many of us are really underestimating the importance of good QB play. A good QB can make an average line look much better than it really is.
Isn't this a weak year for first round qb's, that is good enough reason to not take what is already a very risky pick.
Zerohero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 03:48 PM   #27
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,692
Re: ESPN's Schefter channels his energy into NFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by artmonkforhallofamein07 View Post
I agree Smoot, but at the same time we need so much help. I am not saying I am an intelligent fan or I know how to build a football team , but at the same time I am a believer in you win the game in the trenches. Look at the Jets. Hell look at the Ravens.

DO you really feel that the guys in THIS draft class can go out and win games? I just don't see that player. Especially since most of the top guys are all hurt. The player you are looking for is there this year? That is where I am coming from. I don't see the guy in this draft who you are describing.

**EDIT***

Smoot if you feel that player is there then who is it? I am not starting a fight just want your opinion.
Here's the thing. I think Okung if he's there should be our first pick. But let's say he's not I don't want to take an offensive linemen at #4 because I don't believe there's any worth drafting there. I'd rather do something like Clausen and then maybe a Charles Brown in the 2nd. Until we make a formal commitment to Campbell for the long-term I gotta think we need a QB. Do we need to spend our first round pick on him? No. I think this QB class is better than we're giving it credit for.

But again, I think it's our desire of drafting linemen that is making us overlook the flaws and weaknesses of the OL in the draft and put the QBs under a microscope. I mentioned it here

http://www.thewarpath.net/652225-post55.html (57 Mocks Munched! Suh Consensus No. 1, Bradford for Skins)
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 03:48 PM   #28
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,275
Re: ESPN's Schefter channels his energy into NFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I think sometimes people think saying you need strong line play makes you a more intelligent fan, as if saying QB play is important is something only casual, even ignorant fans who don't know any better would say.

Line play is important but too many of us are really underestimating the importance of good QB play. A good QB can make an average line look much better than it really is.
I believe the opposite is true also, and much easier to occur.

Look at some of the aging lines in the NFL and how QB play has declined. The Patriots and Brady. The Seahawks and Hasselbeck has been horrible since Hutchinson went to Minnesota. How much better could Aarpn Rodgers be without being sacked 50 times? McNabb has looked outstanding at times in his career but can't stay on the field because he's hit more than almost any QB in the game sacked 357 times in his 11-year career, which keep in mind doesn't consist of many 16-game seasons.

I think a solid line is the most important part of the team and can really make a good QB a winner, or can limit a great QB's successes.
__________________
Not sent from a Droid, iPhone, Blackberry or toaster
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 03:49 PM   #29
Playmaker
 
celts32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hackettstown NJ
Age: 43
Posts: 2,656
Re: ESPN's Schefter channels his energy into NFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
So someone you can't remember said something you like and it's right to you?

If you remember who this person is, ask them their opinions on the offensive line and if he/she/it thinks it could affect a QB's play.
Of course the OL affects the QB's play and the QB holding the ball to long affects how the OL looks and the QB can affect the way the WR's look if he is not making the proper reads quickly. It's all tied together. IMO JC will never be more then pretty good regardless of how good the OL is and that's not good enough. I am not saying they should not bring him back but they should be looking for someone better imediately.
__________________
Section 115 Row 23

“Goal line, goal line. I-left, tight wing, 70 chip on white.”

http://victorybeer.com/
celts32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 03:58 PM   #30
Playmaker
 
celts32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hackettstown NJ
Age: 43
Posts: 2,656
Re: ESPN's Schefter channels his energy into NFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
I believe the opposite is true also, and much easier to occur.

Look at some of the aging lines in the NFL and how QB play has declined. The Patriots and Brady. The Seahawks and Hasselbeck has been horrible since Hutchinson went to Minnesota. How much better could Aarpn Rodgers be without being sacked 50 times? McNabb has looked outstanding at times in his career but can't stay on the field because he's hit more than almost any QB in the game sacked 357 times in his 11-year career, which keep in mind doesn't consist of many 16-game seasons.

I think a solid line is the most important part of the team and can really make a good QB a winner, or can limit a great QB's successes.
Rodgers is a perfect example...they have a terrible OL and he still makes plays. The bad OL is turning into JC's crutch. IMO it's not one or the other...the redskins need improved play on the OL and at QB. I do believe with great OL play JC's play would improve but I do not think even his best play will be worth a commiting to him long term.
__________________
Section 115 Row 23

“Goal line, goal line. I-left, tight wing, 70 chip on white.”

http://victorybeer.com/
celts32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.30572 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25