Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Chat with Chris Mortensen 1/20/10

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2010, 11:54 AM   #1
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,772
Chat with Chris Mortensen 1/20/10

Chat: Chat with Chris Mortensen - SportsNation - ESPN

mattyk (NY)
Mort, some Skins fans are afraid that Snyder will still be pulling the strings behind the scenes, my take is there's no way Shanahan would have come to DC unless he was 100% sure he would be running the show with Allen, what do you think?

Chris Mortensen (11:50 AM)
Snyder will not be pulling the strings. He did not pull them with Gibbs, other than to say, "What do you need?" That's what he'll do here.

Wayne (Washington)
Do the Redskins take a QB with the 4th overall pick or look to another position like offensive line?

Chris Mortensen (11:24 AM)
I believe if Bradford or Clausen sells themselves well, the Redskins will take a QB. If not, then an O-lineman or a trade back. Probably a QB in first or second round but I do expect Jason Campbell to be around at least one more year.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-20-2010, 12:03 PM   #2
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 36
Posts: 12,623
Re: Chat with Chris Mortensen 1/20/10

Pretty cool Matty. For a second when I saw the thread title I thought you somehow (maybe through a little backchannel networking - Smootsmack) got him to come here and do a chat.

I'm glad Mort can further confirm what we're all hoping. Allen and Shanahan have the keys to Redskins and they aren't being told how to drive. Of the three options Mort mentions for our 1st pick (OL, QB, trade back), I sure hope we can find a trade partner and stockpile a few more early round selections.
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:17 PM   #3
Registered User
 
BigHairedAristocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,917
Re: Chat with Chris Mortensen 1/20/10

thanks for the infor matty.

gm, i'm with you on wanting to trade back. the problem, as we all know, will be finding a partner. if the NFL can implement a rookie wage scale in 2010, i think our chances of finding a partner go up dramatically, especially if bradford and okung are on the board when we pick.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:17 PM   #4
Pro Bowl
 
53Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Posts: 7,392
Re: Chat with Chris Mortensen 1/20/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Chat: Chat with Chris Mortensen - SportsNation - ESPN

mattyk (NY)
Mort, some Skins fans are afraid that Snyder will still be pulling the strings behind the scenes, my take is there's no way Shanahan would have come to DC unless he was 100% sure he would be running the show with Allen, what do you think?

Chris Mortensen (11:50 AM)
Snyder will not be pulling the strings. He did not pull them with Gibbs, other than to say, "What do you need?" That's what he'll do here.

Wayne (Washington)
Do the Redskins take a QB with the 4th overall pick or look to another position like offensive line?

Chris Mortensen (11:24 AM)
I believe if Bradford or Clausen sells themselves well, the Redskins will take a QB. If not, then an O-lineman or a trade back. Probably a QB in first or second round but I do expect Jason Campbell to be around at least one more year.
Pretty much re-affirms what you said huh Matty? Good deal.
__________________
"Cautiously And Optimistically... Looking Forward To Change"
53Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 01:48 PM   #5
MVP
 
dmek25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: lancaster,pa
Age: 52
Posts: 10,517
Re: Chat with Chris Mortensen 1/20/10

you know that there are people around here, the moment a personal decision goes bad, will be screaming for Snyder to stop meddling?
__________________
"It's better to be quiet and thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt."
courtesy of 53fan
dmek25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 04:11 PM   #6
Gamebreaker
 
tryfuhl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Waldorf, MD
Age: 30
Posts: 12,514
Re: Chat with Chris Mortensen 1/20/10

I understand being cautious but we knew that Gibbs got what he wanted and there's really no reason for this to be any different.
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:56 PM   #7
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 29
Posts: 14,639
Re: Chat with Chris Mortensen 1/20/10

Damn Matty do they know you around there or something? I sware this is the 3rd or 4th time I've seen "MattyK (NY)" get a questioned answered by an Insider. Still I'm not surprised about the part where he insist Shanahan won't have Snyder pulling the strings behind his back.

The part that did grab my attention was that he didn't do it with Gibbs. I mean I personally thought that Snyder had limited involvement under Gibbs II but still felt it was a little more then "what do you need." Either way Vinny's gone, and we currently have football people working on building a team and a culture. Life is good.
__________________
"It's nice to be important, but its more important to be nice."
- Scooter

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 12:22 AM   #8
Registered User
 
The Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,662
Re: Chat with Chris Mortensen 1/20/10

Good to hear in all aspects.

I think the draft is total speculation at this point (obviously).
The Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 12:29 AM   #9
The Starter
 
rbanerjee23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,392
Re: Chat with Chris Mortensen 1/20/10

Look right now we should all be unabashedly optimistic...In my mind, Snyder has learned the error of his ways and will only be a casual observer who only occasionally steps in on his team's operation.

Shanahan will revive his offensive genius and the quality of the defensive personnel will remain in the upper echelon of the league. We will be able to get Okung with the first pick and build the solid line in a year or two and become perennial playoff participants...

feels good to dream doesn't it?
__________________
"Tough times don't last but tough people do"

-Mike Shanahan

HTTR
rbanerjee23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 07:22 AM   #10
Special Teams
 
LandrySlice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: AFGHANISTAN
Posts: 334
Re: Chat with Chris Mortensen 1/20/10

I believe we will be drafting Okung unless we trade back, no chance any QB this year is worth the 4th overall pick... if they were, they would be in consideration for the 1st pick. Just my humble opinion.
__________________
Don't tase me bro!!!!
LandrySlice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:18 AM   #11
Special Teams
 
Player_HTTR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 329
Re: Chat with Chris Mortensen 1/20/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandrySlice View Post
I believe we will be drafting Okung unless we trade back, no chance any QB this year is worth the 4th overall pick... if they were, they would be in consideration for the 1st pick. Just my humble opinion.
I think Rams go QB with the talk of Bulger hanging it up. Hopefully saving us from taking a QB at #4. Okung for LT in 2010.

Back to your normally operating thread.
Player_HTTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:20 AM   #12
Puppy Kicker
 
Daseal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arlington, Virginia
Age: 31
Posts: 8,220
Re: Chat with Chris Mortensen 1/20/10

Does Okung fit the zone blocking scheme? That's my big question about him.
__________________
Best. Player. Available.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:28 AM   #13
Living Legend
 
Ruhskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 16,015
Re: Chat with Chris Mortensen 1/20/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal View Post
Does Okung fit the zone blocking scheme? That's my big question about him.
Well some draft reports about Okung mention that he has a "extremely high level of athleticism", has "great lateral agility and a quick kick step", and that he "consistent footwork".

It is my understanding that zone blocking linemen need to be fleet-footed and athletic...to me it seems that Okung would be fine in this system. I haven't heard anything to the contrary, hopefully as we get closer to the combine, someone brings this up.
__________________
R.I.P. #21

New words created on The Warpath:
Rewalsr - Somretimes - Fualt - Jersesy - Itiot - Composetory
Afeard - Storgn - Empliment - Gaissn - Saftys - Minnisota
Faviort - Hatter - Phsyched - Foof - Heloing - Brutual
Stroried

"Give an opinion and move on. Your life doesn't depend on winning the internet." -FRPLG
Ruhskins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 11:51 AM   #14
Pro Bowl
 
Beemnseven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Virginia Beach
Age: 40
Posts: 5,293
Re: Chat with Chris Mortensen 1/20/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbanerjee23 View Post
Look right now we should all be unabashedly optimistic...In my mind, Snyder has learned the error of his ways and will only be a casual observer who only occasionally steps in on his team's operation.

Shanahan will revive his offensive genius and the quality of the defensive personnel will remain in the upper echelon of the league. We will be able to get Okung with the first pick and build the solid line in a year or two and become perennial playoff participants...

feels good to dream doesn't it?
I agree. I haven't felt this optimistic about my Skins in years.

My only complaint would be why it took so long for Snyder to figure out he and Vinny weren't getting it right. But nevermind. He knows it now and brighter times are just ahead...
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 11:59 AM   #15
Playmaker
 
Trample the Elderly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Three Chopt Virginia
Age: 36
Posts: 2,906
Re: Chat with Chris Mortensen 1/20/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
Good to hear in all aspects.

I think the draft is total speculation at this point (obviously).
That's what I'm saying! They haven't had all of their games, Pro-day, Senior Day, The Combine, or anything yet right? Remember last year when they said that OT, Tits Maggie, would be the number one, then he comes out a flopping? Yeah, they don't know jack, even after the draft.
__________________
A funny thing happened on the way to the temple. The moneychangers bought the priesthood.
Trample the Elderly is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.28915 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25