Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Portis staying?

Redskins Locker Room


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2010, 07:40 PM   #136
Impact Rookie
 
Son Of Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Posts: 643
Re: Portis staying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
First thing...how many rings did Portis get for Shanahan?

Here is your answer below. Read Slow. Here are guys who have succeeded since Portis was traded:

2005: Mike Anderson 1,014 yards 4.2 YPC 12 TDs
2006: Tatum Bell 1,025 yards 4.4 YPC 2 TDs
Mike Bell 677 yards 4.3 YPC 8 TDs

2007: Selvin Young 729 yards 5.2 YPC 1TDs
Travis Henry 691 yards 4.1 YPC 4 TDs

2008: Michael Pittman 320yds 4.2 YPC 4 TDs
Peyton Hillis 343yds 5.0 YPC 5 TDs
Selvin Young 303yds 5.0 YPC 1 TDs
*3 runners combined for 10 TDs, 966 yards..not a bad year

2009: Knowshon Moreno 947yds 3.8 YPC 7TDs
Correll Buckhalter 642yds 5.4YPC 1TD

Okay....so it looks like they've been just fine and successful since the mighty Portis was traded....
Dude...this post is retarded! None of the players above reached over 1500 yards in a season, or even got close! In fact the highest season total shown above was only 2/3 of what CP got in that system. Geez, I know you hate the guy but don't let that negate the need for common sense in your arguement.
__________________
RG3 or bust!!!!!!!!!!
Son Of Man is offline  

Advertisements
Old 01-26-2010, 07:54 PM   #137
The Starter
 
Skinny Tee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Redskins Nation
Posts: 1,715
Re: Portis staying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son Of Man View Post
Dude...this post is retarded! None of the players above reached over 1500 yards in a season, or even got close! In fact the highest season total shown above was only 2/3 of what CP got in that system. Geez, I know you hate the guy but don't let that negate the need for common sense in your arguement.
How about the fact that Knowshon was a rookie this past year and the Broncos were coached by Josh McDaniels so Shanahan had nothing to do with their 2009 running game output.
__________________
Redskinsly,
_________Skinny Tee_________
Skinny Tee is offline  
Old 01-26-2010, 07:58 PM   #138
Impact Rookie
 
DCtoAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Age: 33
Posts: 623
Re: Portis staying?

boo ya
__________________
"F*CK THE DALLAS JUMBOTRON"
NFC EAST CHAMPS RG3 will be back & #12 can run the show until hes ready.We are young w depth. 23,59,89 will all be back.Alfred Morris aka Diesel Hybrid ! @DCtoAZ81 ...2013 NFC CHAMPS
DCtoAZ is offline  
Old 01-26-2010, 08:26 PM   #139
I like big (_|_)s.
 
TheMalcolmConnection's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Lexington, Virginia
Age: 32
Posts: 17,479
Re: Portis staying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCtoAZ View Post
boo ya
Fantastic analysis.
__________________
Regret nothing. At one time it was exactly what you wanted.
TheMalcolmConnection is offline  
Old 01-26-2010, 08:38 PM   #140
Eternally Legendary
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 34
Posts: 9,859
Re: Portis staying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son Of Man View Post
Dude...this post is retarded! None of the players above reached over 1500 yards in a season, or even got close! In fact the highest season total shown above was only 2/3 of what CP got in that system. Geez, I know you hate the guy but don't let that negate the need for common sense in your arguement.
I concur...some folks take the whole Denver running scheme to an extreme. No Terrell Davis, no Super Bowl...no Portis, no consistent RB hence their running back by committee.
__________________
"The Redskins have always suffered from chronic organizational deformities under Snyder."

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline  
Old 01-26-2010, 09:28 PM   #141
The Starter
 
dgack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: The ATX (formerly Balmer)
Posts: 1,125
Re: Portis staying?

I think the point isn't that Denver's "Who Dat" RBBC approach generated as many yards as CP did because obviously, it did not. The point is that it obviously didn't bother Shanny that much, because he made no moves to acquire a marquee RB after parting ways with Portis, and seemed to move the ball on the ground reasonably well without him, choosing instead to spend the draft picks on other positions.
__________________
"To bring a Sherm Lewis in to a Jim Zorn and whoever his offensive coordinator is, it's like bringing in another man to help teach you how to make better love to your wife or something." -- Tre Johnson
dgack is offline  
Old 01-27-2010, 06:46 AM   #142
Camp Scrub
 
terpsez11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 54
Re: Portis staying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins89moss View Post
Yea Shanny traded Portis but I think he would rethink doing that trade again. Portis was just hitting his stride with Denver he would have put up huge numbers. Champ still did not make the defense that much better. Portis would have made more of an impact then Champ.
in a couple of years Denver will be celebrating a Hall of Fame inductee...not us..{personally I think Bailey is an overstated product with a great agent}
terpsez11 is offline  
Old 01-27-2010, 07:16 AM   #143
The Starter
 
SolidSnake84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Stephens City, VA
Posts: 1,861
Re: Portis staying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son Of Man View Post
Dude...this post is retarded! None of the players above reached over 1500 yards in a season, or even got close! In fact the highest season total shown above was only 2/3 of what CP got in that system. Geez, I know you hate the guy but don't let that negate the need for common sense in your argument.
Your math is retarded. As others have pointed out, Denver has used a 2 back system and still been okay. Maybe i'm not a expert like you, but it sure seems to me that "2/3's" of Portis' production in denver would have been about 1125 yards, right?

So the only year in which his production was not exceeded was 2008, and 3 freaking runners still got 1000 yards combined...Again, i think Denver has gotten along just fine without him.

""Speak not in the ears of a fool: for he will despise the wisdom of thy words"
__________________
Time to nut up or shut up
SolidSnake84 is offline  
Old 01-27-2010, 07:25 AM   #144
Camp Scrub
 
terpsez11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 54
Re: Portis staying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
First thing...how many rings did Portis get for Shanahan?

Here is your answer below. Read Slow. Here are guys who have succeeded since Portis was traded:

2005: Mike Anderson 1,014 yards 4.2 YPC 12 TDs
2006: Tatum Bell 1,025 yards 4.4 YPC 2 TDs
Mike Bell 677 yards 4.3 YPC 8 TDs

2007: Selvin Young 729 yards 5.2 YPC 1TDs
Travis Henry 691 yards 4.1 YPC 4 TDs

2008: Michael Pittman 320yds 4.2 YPC 4 TDs
Peyton Hillis 343yds 5.0 YPC 5 TDs
Selvin Young 303yds 5.0 YPC 1 TDs
*3 runners combined for 10 TDs, 966 yards..not a bad year

2009: Knowshon Moreno 947yds 3.8 YPC 7TDs
Correll Buckhalter 642yds 5.4YPC 1TD

Okay....so it looks like they've been just fine and successful since the mighty Portis was traded....
what I get out of these stats...

was a confirmation that I was stupid to draft Matt Forte in fantasy after seeing what Cutler did to Denver's running attack
terpsez11 is offline  
Old 01-27-2010, 10:33 AM   #145
Impact Rookie
 
Son Of Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Posts: 643
Re: Portis staying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
Your math is retarded. As others have pointed out, Denver has used a 2 back system and still been okay. Maybe i'm not a expert like you, but it sure seems to me that "2/3's" of Portis' production in denver would have been about 1125 yards, right?

So the only year in which his production was not exceeded was 2008, and 3 freaking runners still got 1000 yards combined...Again, i think Denver has gotten along just fine without him.

""Speak not in the ears of a fool: for he will despise the wisdom of thy words"
Look...CP (one back) in Denver's system:

2002- 1,508 yards - 5.5 ypc - 15 TD's
2003- 1,591 yards - 5.5 ypc - 14 TD's

Even with a "two back system" the production fell off after he left. If you hate the guy, just say you hate the guy. Stop trying to validate your emotions with any statistical eveidence knocking his worth as a player in the Denver system. He's not the same player now, but he can still be productive. It's like you want us to believe he was never anything special simply because you disapprove of his character? The guy was a stud and might have some productive years left. That will be up to the new FO to figure out. Either way, his career is an accomplished one and no amount of your disdain for him can detract from that.

Do you lways let your feelings get in the way of common sense? I guess Tiger Woods is an overrated golfer casue he's an adulterer? Tom Brady is an average QB cause he left his pregnant girlfriend? Kobe sucks cause he cheated on his wife? Riggo doesn't deserve to be in the HOF becasue he used to drink beer in a shed after practice? Joe Namath is a bum cause he struggles with alcoholism? Mel Gibson's movies are some trash because of his anti-semitism?

As far as your quoting of proverbs 23:9, I can only be amused. The guy with no validity in his arguement has to resort to ideaology in an attempt to recover any resemblence of an effective rebuttal. How cliche.
__________________
RG3 or bust!!!!!!!!!!
Son Of Man is offline  
Old 01-27-2010, 10:46 AM   #146
The Starter
 
SolidSnake84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Stephens City, VA
Posts: 1,861
Re: Portis staying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son Of Man View Post
Look...CP (one back) in Denver's system:

2002- 1,508 yards - 5.5 ypc - 15 TD's
2003- 1,591 yards - 5.5 ypc - 14 TD's

Even with a "two back system" the production fell off after he left. If you hate the guy, just say you hate the guy. Stop trying to validate your emotions with any statistical eveidence knocking his worth as a player in the Denver system. He's not the same player now, but he can still be productive. It's like you want us to believe he was never anything special simply because you disapprove of his character? The guy was a stud and might have some productive years left. That will be up to the new FO to figure out. Either way, his career is an accomplished one and no amount of your disdain for him can detract from that.

Do you lways let your feelings get in the way of common sense? I guess Tiger Woods is an overrated golfer casue he's an adulterer? Tom Brady is an average QB cause he left his pregnant girlfriend? Kobe sucks cause he cheated on his wife? Riggo doesn't deserve to be in the HOF becasue he used to drink beer in a shed after practice? Joe Namath is a bum cause he struggles with alcoholism? Mel Gibson's movies are some trash because of his anti-semitism?

As far as your quoting of proverbs 23:9, I can only be amused. The guy with no validity in his arguement has to resort to ideaology in an attempt to recover any resemblence of an effective rebuttal. How cliche.
Im not going to argue with you. It's pointless. You wont believe me even when i give facts, and i wont believe you even with your 'facts'. Are you the president of the pastor of the church of Portis?

You accuse me of no validity in my argument. F you. I gave you stats and shit just like you did. And i already said in a few pages back, which you obviously didnt read, that I did HATE Portis because of what he's done to the team.I never criticised his past work. I'm not like you..i dont "worship" Portis for his past body of work, and figure he gets a pass for the future.

What do you want from me?? Damn at least Beneil is reasonable. Is being unreasonable a condition of your religion? I'm calling YOU out like you did me. Just admit that you are set in what you know and don't care about any other opinion or fact. Most of this thread is made up of people who feel just like I do...

Maybe there is no clear resolution. Can we just be friends now? How can i get a long with 1,487 other people every day...but you're that one guy that has to be the exception....
__________________
Time to nut up or shut up
SolidSnake84 is offline  
Old 01-27-2010, 11:31 AM   #147
Registered User
 
SBXVII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,766
Re: Portis staying?

Ok, this is another thing I don't get. So you people with brighter minds please help out....

Portis is in Denver as the featured back. He gets 1500+ yrds.
The Skins trade for him and he does well for us.

The arguement I keep hearing is why would we get rid of a 1500+ yrd runner when it's proven that after Portis no other RB got that. It's a good arguement but slightly flawed which I think some of are trying to point out who got 1,014 yrds. But those were not the only yrds.


After Portis left Denver used more then one runner. Perhaps it was to not put too much punishment on just one RB. So they go to a 2 back system. RB by commity. If this is the case then you have to add the 2 RB's yrds together. If the 2 backs did just as good as Portis then fine. It doesn't mean Denver never had a good RB after Portis. It just means the coach's spread the punishment around so not one RB was getting beat up all year long like Portis did.

2004-
Droughns: 1,240
Griffin: 311
Bell: 396
Total: 1,947

2005-
Anderson: 1,014
Bell: 921
Total: 1,935

2006-
T.Bell: 1,025
M.Bell: 677
Total: 1,702

2007-
Henry: 698
Young: 729
Hall: 216
Total: 1,643

2008- was a bad year for them all 3 RB picked up only 300 yrds or slightly over.

In Portis's years mentioned:

2002-
Portis: 1,508
Anderson: 386
Gary: 147
Total: 2,041

2003-
Portis: 1,591
Griffin: 345
Anderson: 257
Total: 2,193

I know some idget will argue that Denver had their 2 best season's when Portis was there but there are other issues to consider. How was the rest of the team playing? Did they have a good passing attack also? Did they have all their OL healthy? Who was QB?

In Portis 2 season's used 2002 and 2003 he did get more yards but so did the other RB's which leads me to believe the team as a whole was getting better. After Portis left each season they got less yardage rushing which tells me the team as a whole was on the decline. All the way up to 2008 which was Shanahan's last year.

Again not saying Portis sucks but he's aging. Salary is too high for production. Now injury prone.
SBXVII is offline  
Old 01-27-2010, 12:20 PM   #148
Special Teams
 
Beneil (diehard since 87)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 118
Re: Portis staying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
I know some idget will argue that Denver had their 2 best season's when Portis was there but there are other issues to consider. How was the rest of the team playing? Did they have a good passing attack also? Did they have all their OL healthy? Who was QB?

In Portis 2 season's used 2002 and 2003 he did get more yards but so did the other RB's which leads me to believe the team as a whole was getting better. After Portis left each season they got less yardage rushing which tells me the team as a whole was on the decline. All the way up to 2008 which was Shanahan's last year.

Again not saying Portis sucks but he's aging. Salary is too high for production. Now injury prone.
Good post, up to this point. THe guys running with portis did well, but no better than any of the other backs that followed. We tried the whole 2 back thing, bringing out Portis for Betts all the time. All it did was piss me off, lol! I hate whenever they pan to Portis and he has that, "PUT ME IN THERE!" face, then i see Betts get stuffed shy of the endzone (Man we shoulda beat them Giants).

As For Solid Snake, Yeah, i felt the same way about Brunell. He got a bad rap and a lot of skins fans were doggin him. He's not the starter he once was and I was a little quicker to say 'in with the new' than you, but if they didn't let Jason in and kept with Brunell I would've been a little pissed, but not as mad as you where when they finally did. Funny thing is that we also both kinda want Brunell to shine if Brees gets hurt. (I'm also mad they got Chase Daniel)

I officialy take back the hurtful Pink Romo Jersey comment... that was a tad overkill.

Still... I sincerely believe that there is no current free agent prospect or HB already in red that can do better than a healthy CP. I think that creating a strong and techniquely sound o-line that is sturdy, cohesive, and somewhat youthfull is the highest priority, and if we used a pick to draft a #4 runningback, we're gonna have the next Barry Sanders. Screw highlight reels, i want a trophy! If we get a great line and (for instance) Have Portis, Ganther, Rock, and Mason, we'll KILL in the ground game! But ONLY if we fix our line. If you give me trade options where a better back won't cost us, then maybe, but as for Draft, we need that moster Tackle from Oklahoma State. As for free agents... i'd rather stick with CP then lose the money and pay for one of them
Beneil (diehard since 87) is offline  
Old 01-27-2010, 12:28 PM   #149
Playmaker
 
over the mountain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: baltimore
Posts: 3,237
Re: Portis staying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
Again not saying Portis sucks but he's aging. Salary is too high for production. Now injury prone.
portis is set to make over 10 mil per year until the year 2013. now is the time to cut bait imo.
over the mountain is offline  
Old 01-27-2010, 12:53 PM   #150
Playmaker
 
NYCskinfan82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Queens, NYC
Age: 44
Posts: 3,398
Re: Portis staying?

I like CP as a player but if we can pay him of and sign him to a lesser deal then do, i hope we can do that with all are other high paid players.
NYCskinfan82 is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.39057 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25