Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


The end of the three point stance?

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2010, 12:14 PM   #76
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,975
Re: The end of the three point stance?

Well Goodell just signed a contract extension that keeps him commissioner into the 2016 season so he's not going anywhere any time soon
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-12-2010, 03:56 PM   #77
Gamebreaker
 
tryfuhl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Waldorf, MD
Age: 31
Posts: 12,514
Re: The end of the three point stance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Well Goodell just signed a contract extension that keeps him commissioner into the 2016 season so he's not going anywhere any time soon
He's not the devil by any means and I can see why the owners would like that. Nice that he signed at same base pay.
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 05:00 PM   #78
Playmaker
 
mlmdub130's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 3,221
Re: The end of the three point stance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
I dont think the idea is stupid but I do think logistically it would be difficult. Expansion has nothing to do with the quality of the game, it has to do with making $. The only reason the NFL ever expands is to make more $. The NFL is pretty much out of ways to squeeze $ out of its American fans so by expanding overseas it can tap a whole new set of wallets. The overseas fans will never really fullembrace the game until they have a team of their own to follow. Once they have that team they will start buying the hats shirts and other junk the NFL sells. In addition to the TV contract and expansion fees. Its a lot of $ that cant be ignored.
this whole post is why trying to expand overseas is a bad idea, you get lost in the dollar signs and churn out a shitty product

to say expansion does nothing to the quality of the game is a bit of a reach, you make more and more teams and you let in more and more players who otherwiese would be cut from a roster which in turn brings the quality of the game down
__________________
"I don't think anybody should have regrets, especially me, ... You don't regret what you do in your life. If you do it, you do it for a reason."

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:24 AM   #79
Playmaker
 
irish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,732
Re: The end of the three point stance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmdub130 View Post
this whole post is why trying to expand overseas is a bad idea, you get lost in the dollar signs and churn out a shitty product

to say expansion does nothing to the quality of the game is a bit of a reach, you make more and more teams and you let in more and more players who otherwiese would be cut from a roster which in turn brings the quality of the game down
Where did I say expansion does nothing to the quality of the game? I think in the short term the expansion teams arent very good but they catch up pretty quickly. Of course if the league went by your logic there would be maybe 4 or 6 teams. Only the very best players would be on the teams and the quality (whatever that means) would be sky high, but I doubt there'd be very much interest nationwide. Bringing in the AFL didnt hurt the NFL. Adding TB, Seatt & Jax didnt hurt.

I'm not sure what you mean by shitty product since that's pretty subjective. As long as the games are close and exciting the NFL and 90% of fans would say the product is fine.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 02:04 PM   #80
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 29
Posts: 14,736
Re: The end of the three point stance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Well Goodell just signed a contract extension that keeps him commissioner into the 2016 season so he's not going anywhere any time soon
Roger Godell fixing ze NFL "Oh Snap":
__________________
"It's nice to be important, but its more important to be nice."
- Scooter

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 05:52 PM   #81
Playmaker
 
mlmdub130's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 3,221
Re: The end of the three point stance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
Where did I say expansion does nothing to the quality of the game? I think in the short term the expansion teams arent very good but they catch up pretty quickly. Of course if the league went by your logic there would be maybe 4 or 6 teams. Only the very best players would be on the teams and the quality (whatever that means) would be sky high, but I doubt there'd be very much interest nationwide. Bringing in the AFL didnt hurt the NFL. Adding TB, Seatt & Jax didnt hurt.

I'm not sure what you mean by shitty product since that's pretty subjective. As long as the games are close and exciting the NFL and 90% of fans would say the product is fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
I dont think the idea is stupid but I do think logistically it would be difficult. Expansion has nothing to do with the quality of the game, it has to do with making $. The only reason the NFL ever expands is to make more $. The NFL is pretty much out of ways to squeeze $ out of its American fans so by expanding overseas it can tap a whole new set of wallets. The overseas fans will never really fullembrace the game until they have a team of their own to follow. Once they have that team they will start buying the hats shirts and other junk the NFL sells. In addition to the TV contract and expansion fees. Its a lot of $ that cant be ignored.
i think the leauge is good where it stands right now, if it expanded they would have to have more games add more players per team and i think that would in turn bring down the qaulity of games and make each game mean that much less, just my opinion
__________________
"I don't think anybody should have regrets, especially me, ... You don't regret what you do in your life. If you do it, you do it for a reason."

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 06:46 PM   #82
Special Teams
 
duetsch215's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Richmond (School at ODU)
Posts: 100
Re: The end of the three point stance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
They're not protecting the players for their own good. They're protecting their investments.
point taken
__________________
I'm a smart fella, and you're a fart smella
duetsch215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 11:16 PM   #83
Registered User
 
GusFrerotte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Detroit area
Posts: 4,153
Re: The end of the three point stance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyg12 View Post
Playing football can't be good for your brain long-term. I think in the next 10 years or so more conclusive evidence about concussions will emerge, which of course won't be good for the game's image. I see a few things on the horizon - 18 games, lockout, economics - that could really mark the beginning of the end for the nfl as the country's most popular sport.
I agree, the punishment these guys can take is akin to boxing almost with the head jars either from hitting or getting hit. A collision of two or more 200+lb men is a lot of punishment to absorb over say a 10-15 year period. Shoot Rick James had long term neck trouble just from doing that quick jerk of the neck move he always did way back when. Look at all those old timer with Parkinson's now, not to mention all knee replacements needed once they get old. As for lockout economics, who knows, but these folks need to come down with both their salaries and pricing soon or the NFL is going to go Kaput. Can't believe Goodell is still pushing the international crap, when the Eurozone is going to shit economically, not much interest in the NFL in S America or Asia, or should I say not enough to sustain a franchise anyway. Damn, the NFL can't even fill its domestic stadiums, much less one overseas.
GusFrerotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 11:24 PM   #84
Registered User
 
GusFrerotte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Detroit area
Posts: 4,153
Re: The end of the three point stance?

I can appreciate where Goodell is coming from in trying to expand the NFL Empire, but I think he needs to just consolidate what he has. Like with everything else, when the money becomes the sole objective, everything becomes poisoned or jaded. Expanding to 18 games is nuts in lieu of the dramatic increase in injuries sustained every year. Like I stated before, the global economy is going down the crapper, and overseas markets simply do not or will not exist in the near future because of this.
GusFrerotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 04:41 AM   #85
Playmaker
 
djnemo65's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: MA
Age: 33
Posts: 2,836
Re: The end of the three point stance?

If there's one thing that's going to hurt organized football it's these head injuries, which have received a raft of publicity this past year. If parents start pushing their talented children into other sports out of a legitimate fear of debilitating injury, that will mark the slow choking death of pro football in this country. Thus it is necessary for the NFL to get in front of this issue anyway that it can.
djnemo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 04:45 AM   #86
Gamebreaker
 
tryfuhl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Waldorf, MD
Age: 31
Posts: 12,514
Re: The end of the three point stance?

sometimes big dumb strong people don't fit into any other sport though, not that that's a blanket statement about football players

my 2 concussions were suffered outside of football, never had a football related injury

1 was in wrestling, the other was 2 idiots fucking around in the warmup room for weight lifting which had wrestling mats down.. I was sitting there and some dude was spinning this tiny kid around by his arms and next thing I know I'm knocked out because I got knocked in the side of the head. Once I found out what happened later that day I came back in the next and pummeled dude on the mat
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 11:15 AM   #87
Playmaker
 
irish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,732
Re: The end of the three point stance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmdub130 View Post
i think the leauge is good where it stands right now, if it expanded they would have to have more games add more players per team and i think that would in turn bring down the qaulity of games and make each game mean that much less, just my opinion
Its interesting that you think the game is good where it is now because when I talk to my Dad he thinks its way too diluted and there are too many players that dont belong. I guess one man's trash really is another man's treasure.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.25065 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25