Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Unrestricted Free Agents Who Might Help

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2010, 02:29 AM   #61
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 29
Posts: 14,734
Re: Unrestricted Free Agents Who Might Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultBrennan59 View Post
2010 free agent quarterback class has a surprise entry | ProFootballTalk.com

chances he comes out of retirement and to DC are slim but just thought I'd throw this out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Plummer View Post
"Well, he was what only five-four? But he wants them to think he's five-six. Hey man, that's just like his mansion, he wants you to think it's bigger than it is."
Lol, yeah. Who in their right mind would think of benching a turnover machine with a 66.8 QB Rating through 11 games with your team somehow still in the playoff hunt? Pretty thankful guy though, I mean his stats might have got him a hall of fame nomination in 1939 but in this era he was pretty much an overrated scrambling QB.

I also thought this comment was pretty funny:
Quote:
Don't tease DBs with INT clauses in their contracts like this!
Ironically Shanahan only had nice things to say about Plummer after he retired:
Quote:
"Jake must be a pretty good handball player," Broncos coach Mike Shanahan said. "He's a great athlete. He uses his left hand almost as well as his right hand, which probably helps him in handball."

Read more: Plummer's handball odyssey - The Denver Post
__________________
"It's nice to be important, but its more important to be nice."
- Scooter

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG

Last edited by Dirtbag59; 02-20-2010 at 03:16 AM.
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-20-2010, 09:04 AM   #62
Playmaker
 
KI Skins Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: MD Eastern Shore
Posts: 2,550
Re: Unrestricted Free Agents Who Might Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
LOL no reply on the horizon...I'm DONE w/ that particular player.

I'm surprised this thread hasn't gone more in the direction of defense. I mean in all likelihood we have an offense oriented draft because of our desperate needs there and the fact we have an offense minded coach. But if Haslett really forces this change into a 3-4 you're facing pretty serious personnel changes required on defense as well, and FA would be the logical route since we're so limited on draft picks.

Looking at the DL it's very hard to see anyone but Albert having immediate success in a 3-4. Jarmon is actually talking about losing weight and transitioning to LB. Monty just hasn't shown anything to prove he can be a dominant NT, and like said elsewhere Albert could be sort of wasted at that position. Plus if Albert doesn't play RDE in the 3-4 who can you see on the roster playing that position? Who do you see at LDE? Daniels certainly has the strength/bulk but do you want to rely on an aging, injury prone player. Can Zoe hold LDE down in the 3-4?

Honestly, going primarily to a 3-4 probably requires two new additions to the starting cast on the DL...either NT and an end or two new ends. That's why Dansby seems unlikely.
I agree and that's why I mentioned Dwan Edwards and Justin Bannan as UFA possibilities. I think they are both good players but they are ends and I just can't envision AH accepting a move to NT. So, I think it's going to take a FA mistake by NE, PIT, or GB or a trade to land an established NT. My preference at NT would be for the Skins to find a way to draft Dan Williams (6-3, 330) out of UT. I think he's going to be a heckuva NT in the pros.

I don't see why you thnk signing two DL's would rule out Dansby. All it would take is more money.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:03 AM   #63
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,968
Re: Unrestricted Free Agents Who Might Help

So much is going to depend on if we can pull off some trades
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 12:58 PM   #64
Gamebreaker
 
tryfuhl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Waldorf, MD
Age: 31
Posts: 12,514
Re: Unrestricted Free Agents Who Might Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinzfan88 View Post
Sorry.. I realized that after I wrote it.. As u can see I'm a rookie..
no big deal man, don't let anyone here discourage you from posting (unless you want to do a search of "redskins202" to see what to avoid haha)

welcome to the warpath!
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 01:02 PM   #65
Gamebreaker
 
tryfuhl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Waldorf, MD
Age: 31
Posts: 12,514
Re: Unrestricted Free Agents Who Might Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
I am just curious, this being an uncapped year, and all the stuff with that; not including the draft how many total quality Free Agents does everyone think we will bring in, regardless of position. More than most of the league, on par with most of the league, or fewer than the rest of the league.
well FA starts soon, way before they get to see the players actually run through plays..

I'd assume that haslett knows what he wants to do as far as the D goes and I suspect that it's heavily 3-4, the way he keeps talking about it.. then says "we'll.. I mean if we" in regards to it, having talks with players explaining that they'll enjoy it, etc

I assume that we'll bring in a pretty fair amount of FA prospects and just work on cutting them as need be it, but that'll be later on... as far as initial splash when it starts? who knows? I mean they're going through tape, and can figure on mechanics and certain plays how some of our guys will do at 3-4, etc but they haven't seen it much yet.. I'm assuming that they'll want to see some of our guys running drills on it first, but who knows
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 01:06 PM   #66
Gamebreaker
 
tryfuhl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Waldorf, MD
Age: 31
Posts: 12,514
Re: Unrestricted Free Agents Who Might Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultBrennan59 View Post
2010 free agent quarterback class has a surprise entry | ProFootballTalk.com

chances he comes out of retirement and to DC are slim but just thought I'd throw this out there.
Plummer takes a few jabs at Shanahan | ProFootballTalk.com

"Hey, you know what, if I saw the man I'd go shake his hand," Plummer said. "Geez, he gave me a chance to put a stamp on my career of a winner. . . . I have to live with myself, he's gotta live with himself down the road. So, you know, I don't have hard feelings and I don't hold grudges. He got his due there. I think it was a year past due, he should have been gone a year before, and I've already said all that stuff . . . . He'll find himself coaching somewhere again and, you know, cutting some other quarterback for another young kid."
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 05:13 PM   #67
Playmaker
 
skinsfan_nn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Newport News,Virginia
Age: 50
Posts: 4,495
Re: Unrestricted Free Agents Who Might Help

Not that I'm suggesting bringing Little here.

Leonard Little's long tenure with Rams could end

Posted by Mike Florio on February 20, 2010 3:43 PM ET
Defensive end Leonard Little has played in St. Louis since 1998; he's the last remaining member of the Super Bowl XXXIV-winning team.

In 13 days, however, Leonard officially will hit the open market, possibly ending his 12-year tenure with the team.

Redskins defensive coordinator Jim Haslett reportedly believes that Little could still generate double-digit sacks, so if he doesn't stay in St. Louis, Little might get a chance somewhere else.
__________________
"There's no greater feeling than moving a man from Point A to Point B, against his will." #68

THANKS COACH GIBBS FOR EVERYTHING! YOUR THE MAN AND ALWAYS WILL BE!
skinsfan_nn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:06 PM   #68
Registered User
 
BigHairedAristocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,917
Re: Unrestricted Free Agents Who Might Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
So much is going to depend on if we can pull off some trades
Trades?! Trades?!? I don't like the sound of that. Well, before I jump to conclusions, what trades are you thinking about? Carlos Rogers or Jason Campbell for a 2nd rounder? Chris Horton for a 4th? Those are about the only ones I think I'd be ok with. Anything that involves us trading one of our draft picks for a veteran should be off the table.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:10 PM   #69
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 83,509
Re: Unrestricted Free Agents Who Might Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryfuhl View Post
Plummer takes a few jabs at Shanahan | ProFootballTalk.com

"Hey, you know what, if I saw the man I'd go shake his hand," Plummer said. "Geez, he gave me a chance to put a stamp on my career of a winner. . . . I have to live with myself, he's gotta live with himself down the road. So, you know, I don't have hard feelings and I don't hold grudges. He got his due there. I think it was a year past due, he should have been gone a year before, and I've already said all that stuff . . . . He'll find himself coaching somewhere again and, you know, cutting some other quarterback for another young kid."
Nah... no hard feelings there at all.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:11 PM   #70
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,275
Re: Unrestricted Free Agents Who Might Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan_nn View Post
Not that I'm suggesting bringing Little here.

Leonard Little's long tenure with Rams could end

Posted by Mike Florio on February 20, 2010 3:43 PM ET
Defensive end Leonard Little has played in St. Louis since 1998; he's the last remaining member of the Super Bowl XXXIV-winning team.

In 13 days, however, Leonard officially will hit the open market, possibly ending his 12-year tenure with the team.

Redskins defensive coordinator Jim Haslett reportedly believes that Little could still generate double-digit sacks, so if he doesn't stay in St. Louis, Little might get a chance somewhere else.
Rams say no decision has been made on Marc Bulger's status | St. Louis Globe-Democrat

Quote:
The Redskins have denied they have an interest in Rams defensive end Leonard Little, who will become an unrestricted free agent March 5. Since Little is officially under contract until midnight March 4, any comments about a teamís interest could be considered tampering.


The Rams havenít ruled out bringing Little back, and team officials will meet with Littleís agent next week in Indianapolis.
__________________
Not sent from a Droid, iPhone, Blackberry or toaster
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 01:37 PM   #71
Special Teams
 
DIE-NASTY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: OCEAN PINES, MD
Posts: 121
Re: Unrestricted Free Agents Who Might Help

I'm sure teams are going to cut good players with inflated contracts to take advantage of the uncapped year. Yeah they'll have to pay the contracts but teams like the Skins won't have to pay ARE (not saying he's good) 8 million for the next 5 years when the cap is put back into play.

We're going to be players as always.

Mawae was just cut. Yeah he's ancient (39) but he's still playing at a high level and he was the heart-beat of the line that paved the way for Chris "the Freak" Johnson to have the type of season he had.

I'd rather draft an OT at 4 (or trade back and re-stock picks and then draft an OT) and get an interior linemen like the G/C out of Florida Pouncier (i think that's his name) with our second pick and build our line that way than go with the old-timers and hopefully we do.
DIE-NASTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 01:53 PM   #72
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 11,021
Re: Unrestricted Free Agents Who Might Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIE-NASTY View Post
I'm sure teams are going to cut good players with inflated contracts to take advantage of the uncapped year. Yeah they'll have to pay the contracts but teams like the Skins won't have to pay ARE (not saying he's good) 8 million for the next 5 years when the cap is put back into play.

We're going to be players as always.

Mawae was just cut. Yeah he's ancient (39) but he's still playing at a high level and he was the heart-beat of the line that paved the way for Chris "the Freak" Johnson to have the type of season he had.

I'd rather draft an OT at 4 (or trade back and re-stock picks and then draft an OT) and get an interior linemen like the G/C out of Florida Pouncier (i think that's his name) with our second pick and build our line that way than go with the old-timers and hopefully we do.
In principle I agree. But we have so much work to do on the OL that we may need to get a geriatric fill-in or two for a year or two. This mess of an OL will not get fixed over night.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 01:57 PM   #73
Living Legend
 
Ruhskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 16,406
Re: Unrestricted Free Agents Who Might Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
In principle I agree. But we have so much work to do on the OL that we may need to get a geriatric fill-in or two for a year or two. This mess of an OL will not get fixed over night.
It won't be fixed overnight, but investing on a franchise left tackle is a helluva good way to start. I also hope that we have gotten better at scouting talent and/or get lucky to find the offensive lineman version of Chris Horton.
__________________
R.I.P. #21

New words created on The Warpath:
Rewalsr - Somretimes - Fualt - Jersesy - Itiot - Composetory
Afeard - Storgn - Empliment - Gaissn - Saftys - Minnisota
Faviort - Hatter - Phsyched - Foof - Heloing - Brutual
Stroried - Agianst

"Give an opinion and move on. Your life doesn't depend on winning the internet." -FRPLG
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 02:14 PM   #74
Special Teams
 
DIE-NASTY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: OCEAN PINES, MD
Posts: 121
Re: Unrestricted Free Agents Who Might Help

i'd rather go with a geriatric Mawae than Ben Hamilton.

I know we're not going to fix everything this year but it'd be nice if we could pick up a couple building blocks with our first few picks to rebuild our line unless we get an insane value at NO.2. (I wouldn't mind if we picked Clausen or Bradford in the 2nd but I'd prefer to fill other slots.)

ON a side note, why are we so hard pressed to pick a QB this year? We have Campbell for at least one more year and we can draft a QB next year at a lesser contract (assuming they institute a rookie cap). Undergrads are flooding the draft this year so they can cash in before the cap.
DIE-NASTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 12:20 PM   #75
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,968
Re: Unrestricted Free Agents Who Might Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscurmudgeon View Post
Mea culpa! I did not mention Rex Gosssman.

I also did not mention Ryan Leaf - - who is an unrestricted free agent so long as he is not in jail on his pending charges.

I also did not mention Jeff George - - who is an unrestricted free agent who can bring veteran presence and perspective to the team as a mentor for Jason Campbell, Colt Brennan, Todd Collins and whomever the Skins might draft in April 2010 at a QB. Those folks need to know the Jeff George philosophy:
Leadership is overrated.
Should have mentioned Grossman
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.45681 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25