Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Unrestricted Free Agents Who Might Help

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2010, 11:58 PM   #1
Playmaker
 
sportscurmudgeon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,159
Unrestricted Free Agents Who Might Help

This is not going to be a list of restricted free agents that you can fantasize about having the Redskins go out and sign. And hopefully, this list would not put the Skins in such a salary situation that when the new CBA and the new cap rules are put in place, the Skins have to begin to dismantle the squad. [That happened to a small extent in the mid-90s when the cap first came into being.] I looked for UFAs who might be signable for a reasonable amount of money.

I avoided putting guys in their late 30s on this list. The Redskins have to get younger - - a lot younger - - so even though guys like Kevin Mawae is unrestricted, he is 39 years old. I do not have him on this list even though at age 39 he would be the best offensive lineman on the roster the day he signed.

Here are a couple of unrestricted free agents who can play a little at positions where the Skins need some help:

Offensive Line:

Justin Hartwig - - started for the Steelers on their Super Bowl winning team. Would be an upgrade at Center.

Nick Kaczur - - starter for the Pats for the last several years as a tackle. And do the Redskins ever need tackles...

Bobby Williams - - liked the way he blocked on run plays for Bengals this year; has been a starter there for several years.


Wide Receiver: [The Skins have "potential" at WR but not a lot of "achievement" there.]

Kevin Walter - - good possession receiver for Texans.

Antonio Bryant - - seems to have gotten past his immaturity/meathead problems from 5-6 years ago. He can play...


Running Back:

Leon Washington - - leg injury in '09 could make him a bargain signing

Chester Taylor - - very good 3rd down back and someone who can spell the #1 RB capably.

Willie Parker - - lots of injuries in the last year and a half...

Larry Johnson - - Maybe he performs like Cedric Benson with a change of scenery; maybe he continues to be a pain-in-the-ass...


Defensive Backs:

Dunta Robinson - - cannot believe the Texans would let him go elsewhere but...

Ryan Clark -- He won't need a map to find Redskins Park.

Leigh Bodden - - might be too costly an acquisistion.
__________________
The Sports Curmudgeon
www.sportscurmudgeon.com
But don't get me wrong, I love sports...
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-18-2010, 12:08 AM   #2
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 28
Posts: 14,444
Re: Unrestricted Free Agents Who Might Help

Lets just trade Carlos Rogers and JC for second round picks and AH and Cooley for a pair of first round picks. Then we won't have to worry about free agents. lol
__________________
"Hey baby, wake up from your a sleep." -Zlad

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 12:21 AM   #3
Living Legend
 
Ruhskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 15,754
Re: Unrestricted Free Agents Who Might Help

The Steelers may be using one of their tags on Ryan Clark according to Adam Schefter. They will definitely use one on Hampton, and I doubt they will tag Willie Parker, so Clark makes sense.
__________________
R.I.P. #21

New words created on The Warpath:
Rewalsr - Somretimes - Fualt - Jersesy - Itiot - Composetory
Afeard - Storgn - Empliment - Gaissn - Saftys - Minnisota
Faviort - Hatter - Phsyched - Foof - Heloing - Brutual
Stroried

"Give an opinion and move on. Your life doesn't depend on winning the internet." -FRPLG
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 12:21 AM   #4
Playmaker
 
sportscurmudgeon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,159
Re: Unrestricted Free Agents Who Might Help

Dirtbag:

Don't think you could get a 2nd rounder for Rodgers and I am confident you will not get a 1st rounder for Haynesworth with that huge contract coming along with him.

The Skins will need to upgrade via the draft AND via the free agent market. If they can make a trade along the way, that could be good too.

This is not a 4-12 team that had a bunch of bad breaks; this is a 4-12 team that needs a lot of help in several areas.

If the Redskins could sign two of the unrestricted free agents on my list, I think that would improve the team for 2010.
__________________
The Sports Curmudgeon
www.sportscurmudgeon.com
But don't get me wrong, I love sports...
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 12:23 AM   #5
Registered User
 
The Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,662
Re: Unrestricted Free Agents Who Might Help

Does Clark play more FS or SS? At any rate he'd be the best safety on the roster immediately and if he plays FS we get an enormous upgrade over Landry.

Outside of that position I don't see a lot of FA potential.
The Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 12:24 AM   #6
Living Legend
 
Ruhskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 15,754
Re: Unrestricted Free Agents Who Might Help

I think Dirt was being sarcastic. LOL. Although...

If we were to get Dunta Robinson (theoretically), would there be a realistic chance of getting a pick for Carlos Rogers? Just curious.
__________________
R.I.P. #21

New words created on The Warpath:
Rewalsr - Somretimes - Fualt - Jersesy - Itiot - Composetory
Afeard - Storgn - Empliment - Gaissn - Saftys - Minnisota
Faviort - Hatter - Phsyched - Foof - Heloing - Brutual
Stroried

"Give an opinion and move on. Your life doesn't depend on winning the internet." -FRPLG
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 12:25 AM   #7
Gamebreaker
 
tryfuhl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Waldorf, MD
Age: 30
Posts: 12,514
Re: Unrestricted Free Agents Who Might Help

texans would basically have to franchise Dunta "Pay Me Rick" Robinson again, 12 mil.. so that's why they don't want to retain him.. not to mention he wasn't so hot this past year

He expressed some sort of desire to stick around Houston after the season, but that's likely because he won't get baller money elsewhere.. not saying he'd be a bad sign, but I don't see it happening
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 12:31 AM   #8
Living Legend
 
Ruhskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 15,754
Re: Unrestricted Free Agents Who Might Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
Does Clark play more FS or SS? At any rate he'd be the best safety on the roster immediately and if he plays FS we get an enormous upgrade over Landry.

Outside of that position I don't see a lot of FA potential.
You bring up a good point that I think about whenever I hear people say that we should be fine building the offensive line from FAs and low round picks...there aren't any marquee UFAs out there! Aside from trading picks for a Marcus McNeill (who is a Restricted FA), you basically have to hope that one of these low rounders or these older/not-so-great UFA lineman can end up being a starter.
__________________
R.I.P. #21

New words created on The Warpath:
Rewalsr - Somretimes - Fualt - Jersesy - Itiot - Composetory
Afeard - Storgn - Empliment - Gaissn - Saftys - Minnisota
Faviort - Hatter - Phsyched - Foof - Heloing - Brutual
Stroried

"Give an opinion and move on. Your life doesn't depend on winning the internet." -FRPLG
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 12:38 AM   #9
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 10,442
Re: Unrestricted Free Agents Who Might Help

Kaczur would be a sweet signing.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 12:51 AM   #10
Registered User
 
The Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,662
Re: Unrestricted Free Agents Who Might Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
You bring up a good point that I think about whenever I hear people say that we should be fine building the offensive line from FAs and low round picks...there aren't any marquee UFAs out there! Aside from trading picks for a Marcus McNeill (who is a Restricted FA), you basically have to hope that one of these low rounders or these older/not-so-great UFA lineman can end up being a starter.
Word. I mean the draft isn't just Okung vs. Clausen or Bradford. You have to factor into the equation who plays LT, RT, C and RG going forward if we take a QB first. And the answer...there is no answer at LT and it should be obvious. I might argue it's just as obvious at RT. Heyer will be horrid in a zone blocking scheme. He's average when the defender is right in front of him, but when Heyer has to find a target, get to him and then make the block he's almost laughable. Honestly I think we're just as bad at RT as we are at LT. I don't see how we upgrade to an NFL caliber line w/o focusing our draft board on OL talent.

[Edit] Scratch everything above, Kiper Jr has proven the Redskins must take Clausen. Thank God i'm so glad the debate is over
The Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 12:53 AM   #11
Living Legend
 
Ruhskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 15,754
Re: Unrestricted Free Agents Who Might Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
Word. I mean the draft isn't just Okung vs. Clausen or Bradford. You have to factor into the equation who plays LT, RT, C and RG going forward if we take a QB first. And the answer...there is no answer at LT and it should be obvious. I might argue it's just as obvious at RT. Heyer will be horrid in a zone blocking scheme. He's average when the defender is right in front of him, but when Heyer has to find a target, get to him and then make the block he's almost laughable. Honestly I think we're just as bad at RT as we are at LT. I don't see how we upgrade to an NFL caliber line w/o focusing our draft board on OL talent.

[Edit] Scratch everything above, Kiper Jr has proven the Redskins must take Clausen. Thank God i'm so glad the debate is over
Just started a thread about the offensive line...which will either get 20 replies and be forgotten, or somehow be turned into another QB-discussion thread.

http://www.thewarpath.net/redskins-l...sive-line.html (Time to Build an Offensive Line)
__________________
R.I.P. #21

New words created on The Warpath:
Rewalsr - Somretimes - Fualt - Jersesy - Itiot - Composetory
Afeard - Storgn - Empliment - Gaissn - Saftys - Minnisota
Faviort - Hatter - Phsyched - Foof - Heloing - Brutual
Stroried

"Give an opinion and move on. Your life doesn't depend on winning the internet." -FRPLG
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:12 AM   #12
MVP
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,381
Re: Unrestricted Free Agents Who Might Help

Good list of truly available talent. I would have liked to seen a solid UFA Center and LB that we could get at a reasonable price, but your list doesn't make that look very likely. I don't see us being competitive in bringing in any WR, mainly because there are teams with a much greater need at that position. So from your list, I would like to see the Skins make strong attempts to bring Leon Washington, Dunta Robinson, and Nick Kaczur (how old is he?) in.

If we got DR that would give us some flexibility to try and trade Carlos, and get some value for him. I think Carlos is very good, and that a change of scenery will be good for him, I just don't expect him to excel here.

And Leon Washington would be a good addition, probably releasing Betts/Cartwright and also bringing in a mid round draft RB.

Any solid Tackle ought to be looked at seriously and the Pats have had a good one for a while so Kaczur has to get a long look.
__________________
Dirtbag59, sending songs to oblivion 1 writer at a time.
CRedskinsRule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:14 AM   #13
The Starter
 
#56fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Charlotte NC
Age: 39
Posts: 1,788
Re: Unrestricted Free Agents Who Might Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscurmudgeon View Post
This is not going to be a list of restricted free agents that you can fantasize about having the Redskins go out and sign. And hopefully, this list would not put the Skins in such a salary situation that when the new CBA and the new cap rules are put in place, the Skins have to begin to dismantle the squad. [That happened to a small extent in the mid-90s when the cap first came into being.] I looked for UFAs who might be signable for a reasonable amount of money.

I avoided putting guys in their late 30s on this list. The Redskins have to get younger - - a lot younger - - so even though guys like Kevin Mawae is unrestricted, he is 39 years old. I do not have him on this list even though at age 39 he would be the best offensive lineman on the roster the day he signed.

Here are a couple of unrestricted free agents who can play a little at positions where the Skins need some help:

Offensive Line:

Justin Hartwig - - started for the Steelers on their Super Bowl winning team. Would be an upgrade at Center.

Nick Kaczur - - starter for the Pats for the last several years as a tackle. And do the Redskins ever need tackles...

Bobby Williams - - liked the way he blocked on run plays for Bengals this year; has been a starter there for several years.


Wide Receiver: [The Skins have "potential" at WR but not a lot of "achievement" there.]

Kevin Walter - - good possession receiver for Texans.

Antonio Bryant - - seems to have gotten past his immaturity/meathead problems from 5-6 years ago. He can play...


Running Back:

Leon Washington - - leg injury in '09 could make him a bargain signing

Chester Taylor - - very good 3rd down back and someone who can spell the #1 RB capably.

Willie Parker - - lots of injuries in the last year and a half...

Larry Johnson - - Maybe he performs like Cedric Benson with a change of scenery; maybe he continues to be a pain-in-the-ass...


Defensive Backs:

Dunta Robinson - - cannot believe the Texans would let him go elsewhere but...

Ryan Clark -- He won't need a map to find Redskins Park.

Leigh Bodden - - might be too costly an acquisistion.


No offense dude, but this is the crap that gets us in trouble with our young talent. NO WAY we need to bring in WR this year. Devin really showed some promise last year, and the way they are talking about Malcome Kelly this offseason, I am really excited about the potential he brings to the table. All the RB's you mentioned really dont seem to attractive. LJ is old, Willie isn't really very good, Leon came off big injury, Chester Taylor is getting up in years too. I'd stay with what we have before bringing in any of these guys.

Only thing I slightly agree on is maybe the tackle from NE. We need to replace both tackles, so we will mostly definately need to aquire one through FA. As far as the guards and centers, Dockery is a good guard, and I like reinhart. We can not grade the play of Dockery last season, nor anyone for that fact. The tackles,the most important, we both down to 3rd string, and hell 4th string on most teams. We fill those two positions with quality starters and Dockery will be back to his dominant run blocking self, and Reinhart will be a very productive young guy on the right side.
#56fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:22 AM   #14
MVP
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,381
Re: Unrestricted Free Agents Who Might Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by #56fanatic View Post
No offense dude, but this is the crap that gets us in trouble with our young talent. NO WAY we need to bring in WR this year. Devin really showed some promise last year, and the way they are talking about Malcome Kelly this offseason, I am really excited about the potential he brings to the table. All the RB's you mentioned really dont seem to attractive. LJ is old, Willie isn't really very good, Leon came off big injury, Chester Taylor is getting up in years too. I'd stay with what we have before bringing in any of these guys.

Only thing I slightly agree on is maybe the tackle from NE. We need to replace both tackles, so we will mostly definately need to aquire one through FA. As far as the guards and centers, Dockery is a good guard, and I like reinhart. We can not grade the play of Dockery last season, nor anyone for that fact. The tackles,the most important, we both down to 3rd string, and hell 4th string on most teams. We fill those two positions with quality starters and Dockery will be back to his dominant run blocking self, and Reinhart will be a very productive young guy on the right side.
I'm not sure that we have gotten in trouble for bringing in reasonably priced productive NFL starters through free agency. This is just a list of what is really out there, so that discussions can be grounded in some real basis. That said, I agree that WR's should not be messed with. I think LW could come back and be looking to re-establish himself, if I remember right, he was outstanding with the Jets, and with rehab, he might just give us a good solution to RB, and we can wait till next year to draft a young Shanahan RB.
__________________
Dirtbag59, sending songs to oblivion 1 writer at a time.
CRedskinsRule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:30 AM   #15
MVP
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,381
Re: Unrestricted Free Agents Who Might Help

Sportscurmudgeon, Just out of curiosity, why no Dansby on your list?
__________________
Dirtbag59, sending songs to oblivion 1 writer at a time.
CRedskinsRule is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.34352 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25