Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Time to Build an Offensive Line

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2010, 03:48 PM   #181
Playmaker
 
Trample the Elderly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Three Chopt Virginia
Age: 37
Posts: 2,906
Re: Time to Build an Offensive Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.O.Killa View Post
Wow, cant believe this. I thought that Williams is as bad as any lineman we have had.

On Williams: "Mike showed a tremendous work ethic and willingness to do whatever the team asked of him, and those are two of the traits we're looking for in Redskins players. We believe that he's only scratched the surface of his abilities so far, and look forward to seeing what he can do after a full offseason in our program."
Inside space eater?
__________________
A funny thing happened on the way to the temple. The moneychangers bought the priesthood.
Trample the Elderly is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-05-2010, 04:04 PM   #182
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,876
Re: Time to Build an Offensive Line

On MWilliams, I liked it when they gave him a shot, he showed grit and determination, and for someone out so long, didn't embarrass himself (to my eyes) so give him the shot. Like Lotus said, don't guarantee money, and let him prove himself if not cut'em. Works for me.
__________________
Dirtbag59, sending songs to oblivion 1 writer at a time.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 04:06 PM   #183
The Starter
 
joethiesmanfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,163
Re: Time to Build an Offensive Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
Be my guest...

The first group is pretty obvious. The second list sorta follows this idea that you never replace a hungry, bruising safety w/ a guy who misses a lot and avoids contact. Honestly I can't tell you the name of the safeties for Oakland, Miami or San Diego. What I can say is I watched games over the last season where safeties from these teams put the hurt on like Laron never has or will. Particularly the kid from Oakland...that dude is fierce.

But let's stop w/ the nonsense about "Laron's talent puts him in another category" bullsh*t. It's just become code for making excuses about a player who has some obvious issues that go way beyond technique or coaching. A kid who starts diving to the turf to avoid contact or taking a bizarre angle so contact doesn't happen till the play is out of bounce...there's no place in the NFL for it.

DAMN, that's all I go to say about that!! That's real talk. Cut Landry.
joethiesmanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 04:10 PM   #184
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 83,416
Re: Time to Build an Offensive Line

Williams had a lot to overcome in a short period of time, I thought he was up and down last year. The coaches obviously see some potential there so I'll defer to their opinion. At least this year he can work on technique instead of auditioning for the biggest loser.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 04:16 PM   #185
Impact Rookie
 
SOUL-SKINS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 871
Re: Time to Build an Offensive Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Williams had a lot to overcome in a short period of time, I thought he was up and down last year. The coaches obviously see some potential there so I'll defer to their opinion[. At least this year he can work on technique instead of auditioning for the biggest loser.
Exactly!
__________________
TODD COLLINS WILL ALWAYS HOLD A SPECIAL PLACE IN MY HEART
SOUL-SKINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 06:52 PM   #186
Registered User
 
CultBrennan59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 6,527
Re: Time to Build an Offensive Line

Any word on how Chad Clifton and Tony Pasho's are doing with their skins visit? I heard Clifton is just coming here to get the packers price up.
CultBrennan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 07:31 PM   #187
Playmaker
 
Trample the Elderly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Three Chopt Virginia
Age: 37
Posts: 2,906
Re: Time to Build an Offensive Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultBrennan59 View Post
Any word on how Chad Clifton and Tony Pasho's are doing with their skins visit? I heard Clifton is just coming here to get the packers price up.
I wouldn't want him. Would you?
__________________
A funny thing happened on the way to the temple. The moneychangers bought the priesthood.
Trample the Elderly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 07:35 PM   #188
Playmaker
 
Trample the Elderly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Three Chopt Virginia
Age: 37
Posts: 2,906
Re: Time to Build an Offensive Line

I've been hearing more and more about Bruce Campbell. Anyone have the schimmy? This draft couldn't have come at a better time. We need a whole new o-line and the draft is DEEP.
__________________
A funny thing happened on the way to the temple. The moneychangers bought the priesthood.
Trample the Elderly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 07:49 PM   #189
Registered User
 
The Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,662
Re: Time to Build an Offensive Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Williams had a lot to overcome in a short period of time, I thought he was up and down last year. The coaches obviously see some potential there so I'll defer to their opinion. At least this year he can work on technique instead of auditioning for the biggest loser.
We def saw Mike Williams struggle off and on but personally I'm willing to cut him slack because the musical chairs gig probably made it even harder to adjust after all the time outside the football. I think w/ continued commitment and the Shanny brand of oline he's a strong candidate to start at RG or be a consistent backup at RG/RT.
The Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 07:55 PM   #190
Playmaker
 
NYCskinfan82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Queens, NYC
Age: 45
Posts: 3,441
Re: Time to Build an Offensive Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
We def saw Mike Williams struggle off and on but personally I'm willing to cut him slack because the musical chairs gig probably made it even harder to adjust after all the time outside the football. I think w/ continued commitment and the Shanny brand of oline he's a strong candidate to start at RG or be a consistent backup at RG/RT.

Agree he's still some what young and he was an Ex-1st round pick.
NYCskinfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 09:05 PM   #191
The Starter
 
drew54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: IOWA
Age: 32
Posts: 1,296
Re: Time to Build an Offensive Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultBrennan59 View Post
Any word on how Chad Clifton and Tony Pasho's are doing with their skins visit? I heard Clifton is just coming here to get the packers price up.
Clifton Stays with the Pack Packers T Clifton stays in GB for $20 million - NFL- nbcsports.msnbc.com
__________________
No pressure, no diamonds.
drew54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 10:20 PM   #192
The Starter
 
T.O.Killa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Berlin, MD
Posts: 2,033
Re: Time to Build an Offensive Line

Man, I just had a nightmare. Mike Williams at RT and Stephan Heyer at LT.
T.O.Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:07 PM   #193
Registered User
 
Pocket$ $traight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Fairfax, VA
Age: 38
Posts: 4,261
Re: Time to Build an Offensive Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.O.Killa View Post
Man, I just had a nightmare. Mike Williams at RT and Stephan Heyer at LT.
I don't believe that Washington signed Williams to be a tackle today but the fact that he can play tackle makes him more valuable (typically it is ideal if a reserve lineman can play more than one position in a pinch).

Here is my take on Mike Williams. First, Allen and Shanahan have ZERO ties to Big Mike. I think they proved yesterday that if you can't help the team, you won't be on the team. So, they must think that Mike deserves a spot on the team.

Now, I thought Doc Walker (someone who is an expert on line play) broke down Mike Williams very well today. Big Mike as a tackle is a liability. I think everyone will admit that. However, as a guard he performed much better. He showed signs of being a mauler in the run game and the fact that you have a guard with tackle skills helps in pass pro.

Now, what will be different this year? His body will be accustomed to being 340 - 360 as opposed to being 450. There is a transition period for people who gain a lot of weight or lose a lot of weight in a short period of time.

MOST IMPORTANTLY for him to be a contributor, he has to stay healthy. He wasn't healthy last year but still played almost the whole year.

Another key, they have to get a quality right tackle. Williams struggled but he had no help with Heyer next to him. Heyer can help in a pinch, but if he is a starting lineman for us, we have no chance long term.

Why am I hopeful that Mike Williams can help us? First, he has pedigree. He was an all-american at a premier program. Next, he actually has potential to improve. He has another full year to train and get in football shape.

I am hopeful for big things this year from him, ideally as a reserve. Unfortunately, we may need him to start some games though...
Pocket$ $traight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:19 PM   #194
The Starter
 
T.O.Killa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Berlin, MD
Posts: 2,033
Re: Time to Build an Offensive Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket$ $traight View Post
I don't believe that Washington signed Williams to be a tackle today but the fact that he can play tackle makes him more valuable (typically it is ideal if a reserve lineman can play more than one position in a pinch).

Here is my take on Mike Williams. First, Allen and Shanahan have ZERO ties to Big Mike. I think they proved yesterday that if you can't help the team, you won't be on the team. So, they must think that Mike deserves a spot on the team.

Now, I thought Doc Walker (someone who is an expert on line play) broke down Mike Williams very well today. Big Mike as a tackle is a liability. I think everyone will admit that. However, as a guard he performed much better. He showed signs of being a mauler in the run game and the fact that you have a guard with tackle skills helps in pass pro.

Now, what will be different this year? His body will be accustomed to being 340 - 360 as opposed to being 450. There is a transition period for people who gain a lot of weight or lose a lot of weight in a short period of time.

MOST IMPORTANTLY for him to be a contributor, he has to stay healthy. He wasn't healthy last year but still played almost the whole year.

Another key, they have to get a quality right tackle. Williams struggled but he had no help with Heyer next to him. Heyer can help in a pinch, but if he is a starting lineman for us, we have no chance long term.

Why am I hopeful that Mike Williams can help us? First, he has pedigree. He was an all-american at a premier program. Next, he actually has potential to improve. He has another full year to train and get in football shape.

I am hopeful for big things this year from him, ideally as a reserve. Unfortunately, we may need him to start some games though...
I think you are riight. I am a little suprised that we have heard nothing about Levi Jones. I think he was ok, as a LT. Maybe, he would be better after a full year of preperation.
T.O.Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:38 PM   #195
Registered User
 
The Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,662
Re: Time to Build an Offensive Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket$ $traight View Post
I don't believe that Washington signed Williams to be a tackle today but the fact that he can play tackle makes him more valuable (typically it is ideal if a reserve lineman can play more than one position in a pinch).

Here is my take on Mike Williams. First, Allen and Shanahan have ZERO ties to Big Mike. I think they proved yesterday that if you can't help the team, you won't be on the team. So, they must think that Mike deserves a spot on the team.

Now, I thought Doc Walker (someone who is an expert on line play) broke down Mike Williams very well today. Big Mike as a tackle is a liability. I think everyone will admit that. However, as a guard he performed much better. He showed signs of being a mauler in the run game and the fact that you have a guard with tackle skills helps in pass pro.

Now, what will be different this year? His body will be accustomed to being 340 - 360 as opposed to being 450. There is a transition period for people who gain a lot of weight or lose a lot of weight in a short period of time.

MOST IMPORTANTLY for him to be a contributor, he has to stay healthy. He wasn't healthy last year but still played almost the whole year.

Another key, they have to get a quality right tackle. Williams struggled but he had no help with Heyer next to him. Heyer can help in a pinch, but if he is a starting lineman for us, we have no chance long term.

Why am I hopeful that Mike Williams can help us? First, he has pedigree. He was an all-american at a premier program. Next, he actually has potential to improve. He has another full year to train and get in football shape.

I am hopeful for big things this year from him, ideally as a reserve. Unfortunately, we may need him to start some games though...
Nice post. I think the part in bold is key. Even at 340 I remember folks saying Mike had surprising agility, and that's after how many years outside the game? As a huge, agile guard he could be very important in the zone-blocking scheme, though I don't enough acumen to know how he'll make the transition otherwise.

The part about Mike playing next to a RT superior to Heyer is also important. Personally I'm surprised we even kept Heyer. In space is just awful and watching him target, close and then block someone (which is key in zone-blocking) is just painful.
The Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.39887 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25