Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


What do you want to see in a new CBA?

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack (2) Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2010, 01:35 PM   #16
Franchise Player
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 9,951
Re: What do you want to see in a new CBA?

Keep the franchise tag in essentially the same form but change one key detail. Use current year salaries of players rather than last year. The franchise tag was meant to keep the big name guys from hightailing it. But because the salaries have gotten disparate within position groups we are now seeing kickers getting tagged. Ridiculous. Janikowski gets a insane deal but none of the other kickers can take advantage of his contract moving the market because the teams can just tag them and use last year's salaries for the averages.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-02-2010, 02:07 PM   #17
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 29
Posts: 14,657
Re: What do you want to see in a new CBA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
These two don't go together. The owner's might shut the league down before they accepted a pay floor without a pay cap.
Thats where revenue sharing and luxury tax would come in. That money would be distributed to the smaller market teams like Arizona, Cincinnati, and Green Bay for the sake of spending money on players. In researching baseball I've seen that the language of their CBA says that the money they recieve from revenue sharing must "be used to improve the product on the field." The language is so vague that some owners actually just pocket the money for themselves. By forcing them to spend the money on players you have a base for a pay floor.

God knows that if theres no pay floor then you'd see the Bengals and Cardinals free fall to the bottom of the NFL with $10 million pay rolls. Heck they've actually tried that with the most recent CBA.

Also baseball apparently has just as much if not more parity then baseball:
MLB on par with NFL when it comes to competitive balance - ESPN

Quote:
One more point. Another argument you hear is that the NFL salary cap system creates more competitive balance (or "fairness") because it's easier for bad teams to turn around their losing ways and make the playoffs.

Is this true? Not really.

Let's define a "bad" team as a franchise that has had at least two consecutive losing years. How often does that team make the playoffs? One final set of factoids from the decade:

Baseball: Eight of 80 playoff teams (10 percent)
NFL: 15 of 120 playoff teams (12.5 percent)

Pretty much the same rate (and remember, the NFL allows more playoff teams).

Some of the beliefs about NFL parity are just that -- myths. Pundits often cite the 2001 New England Patriots, who won the Super Bowl after going 5-11 in 2000 (Bill Belichick's first season as the team's coach). While the 2000 Patriots weren't a strong team, this was hardly a franchise down in the dumps. They had finished 8-8 in 1999 and had made the playoffs the three seasons before that.

(And for those who argue that baseball's competitive balance has taken a turn for the worse, five of those eight "bad to good" teams have come in the past four seasons -- the 2006 Tigers; the 2007 Cubs, Diamondbacks and Rockies; and the 2008 Rays. The NFL has seen only three such turnarounds in that span -- the 2008 Dolphins and Falcons and the 2009 Bengals.)
Quote:
Let's begin with some pairs of factoids for the decade, from the MLB and NFL seasons from 2000 to 2009.

Number of World Series champions: 8
Number of Super Bowl champions: 6 (7 if the Saints win)

Number of teams to reach the World Series: 14
Number of teams to reach the Super Bowl: 15

Number of teams to reach the league championship series: 21
Number of teams to reach a conference title game: 21

Number of teams not to make MLB playoffs: 7
Number of teams not to make NFL playoffs: 3
MLB obviously has less playoff spots making it difficult to even make the playoffs.
__________________
"It's nice to be important, but its more important to be nice."
- Scooter

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 02:21 PM   #18
MVP
 
dmek25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: lancaster,pa
Age: 52
Posts: 10,517
Re: What do you want to see in a new CBA?

anyone that wants to compare that half assed salary cap they have in baseball needs to have their head examined. unless your ready for the same teams in the playoffs year after year. the whole infra structure of MLB needs trashed
__________________
"It's better to be quiet and thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt."
courtesy of 53fan
dmek25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 02:23 PM   #19
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 29
Posts: 14,657
Re: What do you want to see in a new CBA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
anyone that wants to compare that half assed salary cap they have in baseball needs to have their head examined. unless your ready for the same teams in the playoffs year after year. the whole infra structure of MLB needs trashed
The numbers say otherwise. The difference is in baseball if a team sucks you have to watch it for a 162 games. In football if a team sucks you only see it 16 times a year. Plus with the NFL draft teams get contributions from rookies much quicker then they would in baseball.
__________________
"It's nice to be important, but its more important to be nice."
- Scooter

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 02:24 PM   #20
Playmaker
 
mlmdub130's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 3,189
Re: What do you want to see in a new CBA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
1) Rookie pay scale
2) Much better benefits for retired players
two issues which are both long overdue and very important imo, espesically the retired players issue
__________________
"I don't think anybody should have regrets, especially me, ... You don't regret what you do in your life. If you do it, you do it for a reason."

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 02:48 PM   #21
Eternally Legendary
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 35
Posts: 9,922
Re: What do you want to see in a new CBA?

Less money for rookies and I'm good to go.
__________________
"The Redskins have always suffered from chronic organizational deformities under Snyder."

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 04:41 PM   #22
Playmaker
 
WaldSkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Age: 31
Posts: 2,726
Re: What do you want to see in a new CBA?

1.)Rookie pay scale
2.)Eliminate the Franchise Tag
3.)If a player is cut and or suspended because of a DUI/Gun Charge/Dog Fighting crime/etc, the team should not be affected(Cap Wise)
4.) If a player is traded his new team takes on the salary and bonuses.
__________________
"I would change that around, Jesus isn't Cutler. I guarantee you Jesus couldnt thread the ball like Jay does."-Monksdown
WaldSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:34 PM   #23
Special Teams
 
RedskinMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Odenton, MD
Age: 35
Posts: 301
Re: What do you want to see in a new CBA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldSkins View Post
1.)Rookie pay scale
2.)Eliminate the Franchise Tag
3.)If a player is cut and or suspended because of a DUI/Gun Charge/Dog Fighting crime/etc, the team should not be affected(Cap Wise)
4.) If a player is traded his new team takes on the salary and bonuses.
I disagree with you here. Players who end up in these situations normally have character issues. Any team that signs or drafts a guy like that should have to deal with the consequences. If a player dies I think there should be no cap ramifications.
RedskinMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:35 PM   #24
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 29
Posts: 14,657
Re: What do you want to see in a new CBA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldSkins View Post
1.)Rookie pay scale
2.)Eliminate the Franchise Tag
3.)If a player is cut and or suspended because of a DUI/Gun Charge/Dog Fighting crime/etc, the team should not be affected(Cap Wise)
4.) If a player is traded his new team takes on the salary and bonuses.
I kind of disagree on this one. I mean I know the team should only be so responsible for a players conduct off the field, but if you do that you'll have more teams taking chances on questionable character because of a lack of liability. You'd risk turning the NFL into the NBA.
__________________
"It's nice to be important, but its more important to be nice."
- Scooter

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 01:19 AM   #25
Gamebreaker
 
tryfuhl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Waldorf, MD
Age: 30
Posts: 12,514
Re: What do you want to see in a new CBA?

There are a lot of people that practice in this and I won't pretend to understand everything that they do.

Rookie pay scale balanced by incentives based on performance is the biggest thing that I'm worried about

Retiree benefits tied to your salary would be great too.. so if some guy made on average 3 a year and another guy made 2 a year.. the 3 per year guy would be expected to contribute more to his (somewhat matched?) benefits
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:31 AM   #26
Registered User
 
BigHairedAristocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,917
Re: What do you want to see in a new CBA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag359 View Post
I kind of disagree on this one. I mean I know the team should only be so responsible for a players conduct off the field, but if you do that you'll have more teams taking chances on questionable character because of a lack of liability. You'd risk turning the NFL into the NBA.
i agree. i think everything should be done to give teams motivation to ensure their players behave themselves.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 02:14 PM   #27
F the Shannys

 
CrazyCanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,881
Re: What do you want to see in a new CBA?

Keep the cap, save my job!
CrazyCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.27097 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25