Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Can we please take a time out and show Jason Campbell some respect here?

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2010, 01:25 PM   #31
Special Teams
 
duetsch215's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Richmond (School at ODU)
Posts: 100
Re: Can we please take a time out and show Jason Campbell some respect here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew54 View Post
I cannot remember a guy who has had so much promise go through that much change year to year as he did. I wish him the best if he is traded, although I fear where ever he goes, (Jacksonville, Carolina, Oakland) are all places to likely end up with a new coach in 12 months.
wouldn't that be a bitch...it seems like where ever he goes
__________________
I'm a smart fella, and you're a fart smella
duetsch215 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-07-2010, 02:29 PM   #32
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,771
Re: Can we please take a time out and show Jason Campbell some respect here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven View Post
I've never been one overly eager to serve up dishes of crow when I'm right about something. Like I said, the temptation was there, sure. But I'll refrain.

The main point though, is to respond to people who say Jason is due all this respect. Look, I don't wish him any ill will, but I'm perplexed by those who say we owe him some sort of going away party after all that he's done for us. What has he done?

Oh, and just for the record, yes ... sometimes, The Beemnseven is wrong.
Andre Carter would probably agree... for the record



Oh and I agree about the respect thing. The guy did little here as far as winning, he had his shot, fair or not. I think we've come to the point where it's best to just move on.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 02:37 PM   #33
Special Teams
 
Mc2guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Burke, VA
Age: 37
Posts: 287
Re: Can we please take a time out and show Jason Campbell some respect here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgack View Post
I don't think the call for respect means we owe Jason some debt of gratitude. What I do think some people (myself included) are tired of is comments that lower the fanbase to looking more like Eagles fans than Redskins fans.

I've defended Campbell on this board, both statistically and subjectively. Not because I think he's a franchise QB or the QB of the future, but because I believe that he's a decent QB who works hard, is durable, reasonably accurate, young, and has good character. If you can win a Super Bowl with Trent Dilfer, I'm pretty damn sure you could make the playoffs with Jason Campbell. But that's neither here nor there, because that's not the way we've approached team building in the past, and the signing of McNabb is a clear indicator that Win Now is still the team's mantra.

Anyway, regardless of where you place the blame for the team's performance over the past few years, IMO the vitriol that is aimed at JC17 is really uncalled for. Statistically the guy has improved year after year, he has always worked his ass off, has taken more physical punishment than any Skins QB not named Ramsey, and has generally just fallen short of our lofty expectations.

That shouldn't earn him a ticker tape parade, but it shouldn't earn him scorn and derision, either. When you think about the carousel of failures, idiots, and prima donnas we've had on this team in the last few years: Lloyd, Archuleta, Jason Taylor, Portis, Rogers, and don't even get me started on Haynesworth.. you've got "me first" players everywhere you look.

Jason wasn't what we all hoped he would be, but I think the annual Snyder spending sprees have dulled some of you to just how rare it is to have a guy who is team first through and through who gives it everything he has and (pardon the expression, Saint Joe) "fights his guts out".

Personally, I appreciate that, even if it didn't lead to the results I wanted. It's the same reason I love Gary Williams and would be revolted if a guy like Calipari were ever to be hired to coach the Terps, but then again there are a lot of people screaming "Fire Gary" because he isn't landing the one-and-done walking recruiting violation blue chippers. YMMV I guess.
Extremely well stated. My thoughts exactly.

I can't help but wonder, if Campbell was more of a "me first" type guy and was more vocally critical of the complete lack of protection he was receiving whether this sadistically fickle fan base would have been more supportive of him. Seems like nice guys generally get thrown under the bus and just because he wasn't all up in people's faces bitching and moaning he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt.

Clearly the "team"...yeah, this is a team sport, didn't meet expectations under Campbell. Has a quarterback ever met expectations of this fan base other than Theismann, Williams, or Rypien...all for one season only?

Can't help but believe McNabb will be the the victim of the Washington faithful's wrath after a few of his signature dump offs to the dirt, or anti-aircraft fire over throws. They will happen...the question is how will we respond?
Mc2guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 02:44 PM   #34
Gamebreaker
 
tryfuhl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Waldorf, MD
Age: 30
Posts: 12,514
Re: Can we please take a time out and show Jason Campbell some respect here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsowilso View Post
Jason and his agent need to be very proactive right now. They need to hard sell him to some team for at least something reasonable like a fourth round pick. I am worried that they will not be capable of doing it because Jason "Sittin on the Dock of the Bay" Campbell would rather be listening to Otis Redding at his favorite fishing hole takin it easy being laid back and country.

I think he has a great way about him and I am in no way saying that he doesn't have a right to be himself, but the dude is just so mellow I am worried that he will just be like I will just sit back and let teams call my agent and then the phone never rings.
lol'd @ the visual
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 02:48 PM   #35
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,771
Re: Can we please take a time out and show Jason Campbell some respect here?

Jason is the player, his agent should be handling contacting teams.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 02:52 PM   #36
Playmaker
 
Longtimefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Germantown, Md.
Posts: 4,832
Re: Can we please take a time out and show Jason Campbell some respect here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSmurfs22 View Post
He has been nothing but classy throughout this process and the last couple of years when frankly he has at times been treated in less than a professional manner by this organization. For Jason's sake and his own development I hope he gets to go to a team where he can have a fresh start.
I'm sure there are those within the organization, up too and including Dan Snyder that truly appreciate what Jason tried to accomplish for the team. Unfortunately, situations and circumstances (some beyond his control) rendered it difficult for him to be as successful as they may have liked for him to be.

Jason will forever have his detractors with various reasons for not liking him, and while efforts were made to upgrade the position, it does not mean he was any less appreciated or should be demeaned for his efforts.
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 02:56 PM   #37
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: Can we please take a time out and show Jason Campbell some respect here?

JC I'm sorry if the owners and coaches hurt your feeling because your a nice guy and wish you the best of luck.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 03:52 PM   #38
The Starter
 
SolidSnake84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Stephens City, VA
Posts: 1,871
Re: Can we please take a time out and show Jason Campbell some respect here?

He is a nice guy....but i seriously think that's all we can say about him for sure...
__________________
Time to nut up or shut up
SolidSnake84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 04:20 PM   #39
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,704
Re: Can we please take a time out and show Jason Campbell some respect here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehard View Post
Is there a BANG! cartoon up?
Oh Man I hope they do this one up good!
__________________
Dirtbag59, sending songs to oblivion 1 writer at a time.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 04:46 PM   #40
Quietly Dominating the East
 
Hog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 9,064
Re: Can we please take a time out and show Jason Campbell some respect here?

Dear grieving JC fans. JC IS a nice with some potential upside. There is NO comparison between him and DM. AND as has already been pointed out, JC will not be doing anything. His agent will be doing all the legwork in finding him a new gig.
AND, AND don't feel to bad for JC as he gets payed multiple millions p/year to......play a game. Even if things have not worked out for him here as planned, He'll make more his year than you'll make in your lifetime for........playing a game
__________________
Goodbye Sean..........Vaya Con Dios
thankyou Joe.......
ďItís all the political correct idiots in America, thatís all it is. Itís got nothing to do with anything else.
-Mike Ditka
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 04:48 PM   #41
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: Can we please take a time out and show Jason Campbell some respect here?

YouTube - Aretha Franklin - Respect (1990)
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 06:25 PM   #42
Pro Bowl
 
Beemnseven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Virginia Beach
Age: 40
Posts: 5,293
Re: Can we please take a time out and show Jason Campbell some respect here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgack View Post
I don't think the call for respect means we owe Jason some debt of gratitude. What I do think some people (myself included) are tired of is comments that lower the fanbase to looking more like Eagles fans than Redskins fans.

I've defended Campbell on this board, both statistically and subjectively. Not because I think he's a franchise QB or the QB of the future, but because I believe that he's a decent QB who works hard, is durable, reasonably accurate, young, and has good character. If you can win a Super Bowl with Trent Dilfer, I'm pretty damn sure you could make the playoffs with Jason Campbell. But that's neither here nor there, because that's not the way we've approached team building in the past, and the signing of McNabb is a clear indicator that Win Now is still the team's mantra.

Anyway, regardless of where you place the blame for the team's performance over the past few years, IMO the vitriol that is aimed at JC17 is really uncalled for. Statistically the guy has improved year after year, he has always worked his ass off, has taken more physical punishment than any Skins QB not named Ramsey, and has generally just fallen short of our lofty expectations.

That shouldn't earn him a ticker tape parade, but it shouldn't earn him scorn and derision, either. When you think about the carousel of failures, idiots, and prima donnas we've had on this team in the last few years: Lloyd, Archuleta, Jason Taylor, Portis, Rogers, and don't even get me started on Haynesworth.. you've got "me first" players everywhere you look.

Jason wasn't what we all hoped he would be, but I think the annual Snyder spending sprees have dulled some of you to just how rare it is to have a guy who is team first through and through who gives it everything he has and (pardon the expression, Saint Joe) "fights his guts out".

Personally, I appreciate that, even if it didn't lead to the results I wanted. It's the same reason I love Gary Williams and would be revolted if a guy like Calipari were ever to be hired to coach the Terps, but then again there are a lot of people screaming "Fire Gary" because he isn't landing the one-and-done walking recruiting violation blue chippers. YMMV I guess.
Where is all of the scorn, vitriol, and derision? Sure you might here some people who aren't sorry to see him go, who might give the old "don't let the door hit ya" line. But I honestly don't see any seething hatred here.

Instead, you have a group of people who feel he is due our utmost respect, as if there should be a national Day of Mourning that he likely won't be our QB anymore, that trading for McNabb and not telling him beforehand, or notifying him instantaneously after the deal was complete was an act of pure, unadulterated evil.

No, he's not complete garbage as a QB. He's just one of those middle of the road guys who needed everything around him to be perfect in order to succeed.

I just don't know how much gratitude we owe someone who ultimately couldn't get the job done.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 06:41 PM   #43
The Starter
 
dgack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: The ATX (formerly Balmer)
Posts: 1,125
Re: Can we please take a time out and show Jason Campbell some respect here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven View Post
Where is all of the scorn, vitriol, and derision? Sure you might here some people who aren't sorry to see him go, who might give the old "don't let the door hit ya" line. But I honestly don't see any seething hatred here.
You aren't looking hard enough I'm not just talking about this thread, FWIW, or even just the threads recently since McNabb was acquired.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven View Post
Instead, you have a group of people who feel he is due our utmost respect, as if there should be a national Day of Mourning that he likely won't be our QB anymore
And just as you say you don't see all the hatred, I don't see anyone dramatically falling to the floor, crying "WHY?!!!" in slow motion.

I think the guys taking a pro-JC position here are really only taking a position of not being fickle, whiny fans.

And in case my post wasn't clear BTW, I don't see any problem with this statement at all:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven View Post
I just don't know how much gratitude we owe someone who ultimately couldn't get the job done.
Though I will say that "showing some respect" is not the same thing as owing someone gratitude.
__________________
"To bring a Sherm Lewis in to a Jim Zorn and whoever his offensive coordinator is, it's like bringing in another man to help teach you how to make better love to your wife or something." -- Tre Johnson
dgack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 06:46 PM   #44
Pro Bowl
 
Beemnseven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Virginia Beach
Age: 40
Posts: 5,293
Re: Can we please take a time out and show Jason Campbell some respect here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgack View Post
You aren't looking hard enough I'm not just talking about this thread, FWIW, or even just the threads recently since McNabb was acquired.
Show me some quotes with scorn, vitriol, and derision. I'm telling you I haven't gotten that sense at all around here.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 06:55 PM   #45
The Starter
 
dgack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: The ATX (formerly Balmer)
Posts: 1,125
Re: Can we please take a time out and show Jason Campbell some respect here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven View Post
Show me some quotes with scorn, vitriol, and derision. I'm telling you I haven't gotten that sense at all around here.
Ok, we can agree to disagree. I don't really have the time to scour threads to support my argument so if you wish you may take that as a concession and "win". /shrug
__________________
"To bring a Sherm Lewis in to a Jim Zorn and whoever his offensive coordinator is, it's like bringing in another man to help teach you how to make better love to your wife or something." -- Tre Johnson
dgack is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.31177 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25