Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Kedric Golston Signed, will play NT

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2010, 09:35 AM   #1
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,771
Kedric Golston Signed, will play NT

According to the last paragraph in this article:
Quote:
Golston is expected to play nose tackle in the Redskins' 3-4 defense this season. He could become a full-time starter for the first time in his career.
Like with Portis, the team is not waiting on AH's status to move forward with their plans. It's been said in many ways, but the fact that we will move forward without "star" players definitely changes our franchise, and hopefully shows long term results on the field. I also hope DS continues learning, so that we have a top notch owner for the rest of his tenure.

Back to Golston. I remember one of the two Montgomery and Golston were looked at as a guy who outperformed his potential, and one who underperformed, can anyone remind me which was which?

thanks
__________________
Dirtbag59, sending songs to oblivion 1 writer at a time.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-16-2010, 09:41 AM   #2
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,741
Re: Kedric Golston Signed, will play NT

Anthony Montgomery way underperforms his potential. He basically slipped in the draft because of his work ethic. He's compared actually most often to Haynesworth. World class talent with half ass commitment.

Golston meanwhile works his butt off, and both Shanahan and Haslett have said they have big plans for him this year and he'll get a lot of playing time in the middle. Of course, who knows how serious they're being.

Reportedly, the Skins want Carriker, Rams want Montgomery. But the rest of the trade hasn't been figured out. Once it does I think that deal will go down, probably next weekend.
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 10:00 AM   #3
Contains football related knowledge
 
JoeRedskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Second Star On The Right
Age: 51
Posts: 8,687
Re: Kedric Golston Signed, will play NT

Golston is only 300lbs. I think most NT's are in the 320-340 range. I could be wrong on that. Other than being a little on the light side, it seems to me that Golston is the perfect NT. High motor, and can occupy a blocker if not defeat him. Question is, can he consistenly be handled by the center or will he require an occasional double team to move. Mind you, he doesnt have to beat the single blocker and penetrate, just make them use a 2nd blocker to move him out of the way.
__________________
You aren't worth the water in my spit but, maybe, just maybe, you're worth the lead in my shotgun.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 10:02 AM   #4
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 10,702
Re: Kedric Golston Signed, will play NT

^ I think that Golston would be better as a 3-4 end rather than nose. I hope that things work out that way.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 10:08 AM   #5
Playmaker
 
freddyg12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,540
Re: Kedric Golston Signed, will play NT

Golston has been great for us, a 6th round pick that has been solid & made some nice plays over the years. I would love to see AM stay here as well, but if they go 3-4 there's only so many of these DT guys that can fit in.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 10:14 AM   #6
Special Teams
 
REDSKINZ-RIDEORDIE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 218
Re: Kedric Golston Signed, will play NT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post

Reportedly, the Skins want Carriker, Rams want Montgomery. But the rest of the trade hasn't been figured out. Once it does I think that deal will go down, probably next weekend.
Now that's a trade (assuming we dont give any draft pix away) that I can definitely support.
REDSKINZ-RIDEORDIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 10:19 AM   #7
Registered User
 
BigHairedAristocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,917
Re: Kedric Golston Signed, will play NT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Anthony Montgomery way underperforms his potential. He basically slipped in the draft because of his work ethic. He's compared actually most often to Haynesworth. World class talent with half ass commitment.

Golston meanwhile works his butt off, and both Shanahan and Haslett have said they have big plans for him this year and he'll get a lot of playing time in the middle. Of course, who knows how serious they're being.

Reportedly, the Skins want Carriker, Rams want Montgomery. But the rest of the trade hasn't been figured out. Once it does I think that deal will go down, probably next weekend.
I imagine we'd have to give up a little more than just Montgomery to get Carriker.

My choice: Montgomery and Haynesworth for Carriker and the Rams 2nd and 3rd round draft picks. Although if they view Montgomery as a poor man's Haynesworth then they probably wouldnt have an interest in the real thing.

Either way, i'm very happy for Golston if he gets more playing time.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 10:20 AM   #8
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,741
Re: Kedric Golston Signed, will play NT

By the way, just to be clear, what Golston signed was his tender offer.
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 10:27 AM   #9
Registered User
 
BigHairedAristocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,917
Re: Kedric Golston Signed, will play NT

wonder why Reid thinks its a new contract?
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 10:43 AM   #10
Pro Bowl
 
SFREDSKIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pacifica, CA
Posts: 7,487
Re: Kedric Golston Signed, will play NT

Good news! I love this guy, we should sign him to a long term contract. I wish Montgomery would have the motivation this guy displays.
__________________
Joe Gibbs- The best coach of all time, Lombardi trophy should be renamed Gibbs.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.


Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 10:47 AM   #11
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,741
Re: Kedric Golston Signed, will play NT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
wonder why Reid thinks its a new contract?
He did the same thing with Wilson I think. Technically it is new I guess, but I don't want people think he signed some long-term deal because best as I can tell that's not the case
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 10:50 AM   #12
Registered User
 
BigHairedAristocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,917
Re: Kedric Golston Signed, will play NT

one thing i'm beginning to worry about is it doesnt seem like we're doing anything to extend any of our RFAs. This means that all these guys will be UFAs next year. It seems to me if the coaching staff really likes some of these guys, we should atleast try to lock them up for a 3 years so we dont lose half our roster after the season.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 10:58 AM   #13
Contains football related knowledge
 
JoeRedskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Second Star On The Right
Age: 51
Posts: 8,687
Re: Kedric Golston Signed, will play NT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
^ I think that Golston would be better as a 3-4 end rather than nose. I hope that things work out that way.
Yeah. He and Daniels strike me as having the right build and attitude for 3-4 ends. Personally, I think AH can play anywhere on any line and be disruptive. Given my druthers, I had have a 3-4 line of Daniels, Kemo(will)eat-u, and AH, backed by Macintosh (behind Daniels), Blades, Fletcher & Orakpo (backing AH).

Jarmon, Alexander and Wilson rotate in as LB's & Golston and [Player to be determined later] comes in as DE and pass rushing NT.
__________________
You aren't worth the water in my spit but, maybe, just maybe, you're worth the lead in my shotgun.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 11:05 AM   #14
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,771
Re: Kedric Golston Signed, will play NT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
one thing i'm beginning to worry about is it doesnt seem like we're doing anything to extend any of our RFAs. This means that all these guys will be UFAs next year. It seems to me if the coaching staff really likes some of these guys, we should atleast try to lock them up for a 3 years so we dont lose half our roster after the season.
Well that's not quite right, out of the guys we have kept:
3 signed 1 year contracts: Campbell,Will Montgomery(C) and Chris Wilson

1 signed a 2 year contract: Daniels

2 signed a 3 year contract: Casey Rabach, Lorenzo Alexander

1 signed a "multi-year" contract: Mike Williams

and 3, Heyer, Montgomery and Golston just signed their tenders.

So out of the 6 that are 1 year or tender signees how many do we really expect to be long term solutions? Maybe Golston and Wilson?
__________________
Dirtbag59, sending songs to oblivion 1 writer at a time.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 11:06 AM   #15
Karma Chameleon (I come and go)
 
jdlea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Annapolis, MD
Age: 30
Posts: 3,087
Re: Kedric Golston Signed, will play NT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
Golston is only 300lbs. I think most NT's are in the 320-340 range. I could be wrong on that. Other than being a little on the light side, it seems to me that Golston is the perfect NT. High motor, and can occupy a blocker if not defeat him. Question is, can he consistenly be handled by the center or will he require an occasional double team to move. Mind you, he doesnt have to beat the single blocker and penetrate, just make them use a 2nd blocker to move him out of the way.
Well, one of the best NT's in the game, Jay Ratliff, is only 303. He's showing that you can still play a successful 3-4 with a penetrating nose tackle.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack
Albert Connell is perhaps the worst Redskin I ever had the misfortune of meeting. He's the kind of guy that makes media people covering their favorite team growing up no longer like that team
jdlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.27715 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25