Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


What Will Jason Campbell's Legacy Be?

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2010, 06:24 PM   #46
Pro Bowl
 
Beemnseven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Virginia Beach
Age: 40
Posts: 5,293
Re: What Will Jason Campbell's Legacy Be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag359 View Post
It will be just a little better then Ramsey's. I mean it should be obvious, unlike Ramsey there were teams out there that wanted Campbell to come in and compete for a starting job. Carolina just lucked out with Clausen and Cleveland was hand tied with Jake.

However at the same time the cries from the fan base were similar. Just give him a little more time, get him a line, get him some recievers, get him a real coach. I think the fans got tired of having to put in so much effort only to get back so much especially being surrounded in a division where recently everyone had a great QB but us.

I think he's a solid QB and has the tools to be successful with a team if they follow the Jaguars blue print from a few years ago when David Garrard got selected to a pro bowl in 2007. However I don't think he's the type of QB where you can put a team on his back.

He has a very high floor thanks to the combination of physical tools and work ethic but he seems to have a very limited ceiling as well.

He will always be respected around here though, and I think the class he carried himself with and that toughness kept him here longer then he would have been otherwise.

He actually reminds me a lot of Jose Theodore with the Caps this year. Theres time where he shows you just how good he can be but then all of a sudden he lays an egg and you're reminded as to why you have that uncomfortable feeling residing in the back of your head.
That's about the best way I've heard it summed up -- better than Patrick Ramsey. And that's not saying much.

What closed the book on him for me was in the second Dallas game at Fed Ex last year. With an empty backfield, a Cowboy DB was creeping up towards the line on an obvious blitz. Troy Aikman pointed this out, and said that this is one of the most basic cues for a QB to notice that he's going to be under pressure. That JC didn't notice it at this point in his career was telling.

He had chance after chance, and just didn't take the next step. It was time to move on.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-26-2010, 06:44 PM   #47
Playmaker
 
skinsfan_nn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Newport News,Virginia
Age: 49
Posts: 4,495
Re: What Will Jason Campbell's Legacy Be?

A below average QB while in DC, a good person.

A legacy in football terms is determined by accomplishments made on the field of play for your team and in the QB position as a leader/overall team production IMO. Something we never had with SOUP at the helm, no legacy here. Good luck in Oakland, when your not playing the REDSKINS!
__________________
"There's no greater feeling than moving a man from Point A to Point B, against his will." #68

THANKS COACH GIBBS FOR EVERYTHING! YOUR THE MAN AND ALWAYS WILL BE!
skinsfan_nn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:25 PM   #48
Playmaker
 
djnemo65's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: MA
Age: 33
Posts: 2,836
Re: What Will Jason Campbell's Legacy Be?

I always felt that Gibbs, in giving up as much as he did to get Campbell, was in significant ways staking his legacy, betting his entire administration on the QB developing into a legit starter (2.0 legacy mind you, the reputation of the first regime is pretty safe). A move that was almost universally criticized at the time as, if nothing else, profligate with picks, giving up a king's ransom to get a guy who was viewed as at best a 2nd round talent, somewhat recklessly counting on him to become twice the player he ever was in college, Campbell's tenure in Washington in many ways came to mirror Gibbs': mostly adequate, in many ways defensible, certainly abundant in character, but ultimately disappointing.

As the last of the Gibbs' 2.0 core Redskins fade into history and we move forward with Shanahan, I think it's possible that many Redskins fans will begin to conflate the terms of Campbell and Gibbs, perhaps even forgetting that Campbell played his last two years with Zorn (or even that there was a coach Zorn, about whom we might find ourselves unable to convince our kids that such a cartoon-character could have actually existed. We may begin to doubt it ourselves). And so I think that people will come to view Campbell over the years in the same way they view Gibbs, with genuine affection for his character, coupled with objective appraisal of his shortcomings.
djnemo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:28 PM   #49
The Starter
 
rbanerjee23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,351
Re: What Will Jason Campbell's Legacy Be?

New offense -- literally every year he was here, he had to learn a new offense and he was consistently average. Also, despite all the mediocrity and negativity around him, he handled himself with nothing but class and even took his trade the right way.

That is a lot more than what a lot of quarterbacks around the league would have accomplished. Good luck to him, I hope he enjoys some small measure of success wherever he ends up.
__________________
"Tough times don't last but tough people do"

-Mike Shanahan

HTTR
rbanerjee23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:53 PM   #50
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: What Will Jason Campbell's Legacy Be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnemo65 View Post
I always felt that Gibbs, in giving up as much as he did to get Campbell, was in significant ways staking his legacy, betting his entire administration on the QB developing into a legit starter (2.0 legacy mind you, the reputation of the first regime is pretty safe). A move that was almost universally criticized at the time as, if nothing else, profligate with picks, giving up a king's ransom to get a guy who was viewed as at best a 2nd round talent, somewhat recklessly counting on him to become twice the player he ever was in college, Campbell's tenure in Washington in many ways came to mirror Gibbs': mostly adequate, in many ways defensible, certainly abundant in character, but ultimately disappointing.

As the last of the Gibbs' 2.0 core Redskins fade into history and we move forward with Shanahan, I think it's possible that many Redskins fans will begin to conflate the terms of Campbell and Gibbs, perhaps even forgetting that Campbell played his last two years with Zorn (or even that there was a coach Zorn, about whom we might find ourselves unable to convince our kids that such a cartoon-character could have actually existed. We may begin to doubt it ourselves). And so I think that people will come to view Campbell over the years in the same way they view Gibbs, with genuine affection for his character, coupled with objective appraisal of his shortcomings.
Eloquently stated.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:56 PM   #51
Registered User
 
GusFrerotte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Detroit area
Posts: 4,153
Re: What Will Jason Campbell's Legacy Be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnemo65 View Post
I always felt that Gibbs, in giving up as much as he did to get Campbell, was in significant ways staking his legacy, betting his entire administration on the QB developing into a legit starter (2.0 legacy mind you, the reputation of the first regime is pretty safe). A move that was almost universally criticized at the time as, if nothing else, profligate with picks, giving up a king's ransom to get a guy who was viewed as at best a 2nd round talent, somewhat recklessly counting on him to become twice the player he ever was in college, Campbell's tenure in Washington in many ways came to mirror Gibbs': mostly adequate, in many ways defensible, certainly abundant in character, but ultimately disappointing.

As the last of the Gibbs' 2.0 core Redskins fade into history and we move forward with Shanahan, I think it's possible that many Redskins fans will begin to conflate the terms of Campbell and Gibbs, perhaps even forgetting that Campbell played his last two years with Zorn (or even that there was a coach Zorn, about whom we might find ourselves unable to convince our kids that such a cartoon-character could have actually existed. We may begin to doubt it ourselves). And so I think that people will come to view Campbell over the years in the same way they view Gibbs, with genuine affection for his character, coupled with objective appraisal of his shortcomings.

I second GTripps observation. Are you a professional writer?
GusFrerotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:59 PM   #52
Registered User
 
GusFrerotte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Detroit area
Posts: 4,153
Re: What Will Jason Campbell's Legacy Be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbanerjee23 View Post
New offense -- literally every year he was here, he had to learn a new offense and he was consistently average. Also, despite all the mediocrity and negativity around him, he handled himself with nothing but class and even took his trade the right way.

That is a lot more than what a lot of quarterbacks around the league would have accomplished. Good luck to him, I hope he enjoys some small measure of success wherever he ends up.
IF the Raiders build around him, he has a shot at being a decent starter and making some playoff appearances in such a weak division. With the merry go round that the Skins franchise became, along with being in the NFC East, the odds were against him from ever breaking out of being average while he was here.
GusFrerotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:41 PM   #53
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,444
Re: What Will Jason Campbell's Legacy Be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
I think the entire era of QB from Rypien to current will be a blight on Redskins history. Hopefully McNabb puts up a couple of solid seasons and Shanahan drafts a true QB of the future somewhere in the next 2 drafts.
Don't go dissing Mark Rypien!
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:09 PM   #54
Living Legend
 
Ruhskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 15,850
Re: What Will Jason Campbell's Legacy Be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by right21arm View Post
Jason Campbell's legacy? That's an easy question. Making me drink with a heavy heart on Sunday.
So what did Vinny make you do?
__________________
R.I.P. #21

New words created on The Warpath:
Rewalsr - Somretimes - Fualt - Jersesy - Itiot - Composetory
Afeard - Storgn - Empliment - Gaissn - Saftys - Minnisota
Faviort - Hatter - Phsyched - Foof - Heloing - Brutual
Stroried

"Give an opinion and move on. Your life doesn't depend on winning the internet." -FRPLG
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:15 PM   #55
Registered User
 
GusFrerotte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Detroit area
Posts: 4,153
Re: What Will Jason Campbell's Legacy Be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
I think the entire era of QB from Rypien to current will be a blight on Redskins history. Hopefully McNabb puts up a couple of solid seasons and Shanahan drafts a true QB of the future somewhere in the next 2 drafts.
I wouldn't go that far. We did make the playoffs a few times and were very close several times. I don't think the franchise was in serious trouble til after Marty got canned. The FO completely killed off Norv with getting all of those high priced old men. They had some utility, but younger draftees would have been much better.
GusFrerotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:25 PM   #56
Impact Rookie
 
Zerohero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: newport news, va
Age: 35
Posts: 751
Re: What Will Jason Campbell's Legacy Be?

Kinda funny how people keep saying "what if the Raiders do this and that", like they will all of a sudden make good decisions and make JC a great qb. What are yall smoking?
Zerohero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:29 PM   #57
Living Legend
 
Ruhskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 15,850
Re: What Will Jason Campbell's Legacy Be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerohero View Post
Kinda funny how people keep saying "what if the Raiders do this and that", like they will all of a sudden make good decisions and make JC a great qb. What are yall smoking?
Well the Raiders want JC as their QB and made some good decisions with their picks. Just b/c JC didn't succeed with our dysfunctional team (last year) doesn't mean he can't be somewhat successful somewhere else.
__________________
R.I.P. #21

New words created on The Warpath:
Rewalsr - Somretimes - Fualt - Jersesy - Itiot - Composetory
Afeard - Storgn - Empliment - Gaissn - Saftys - Minnisota
Faviort - Hatter - Phsyched - Foof - Heloing - Brutual
Stroried

"Give an opinion and move on. Your life doesn't depend on winning the internet." -FRPLG
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:56 PM   #58
Registered User
 
Pocket$ $traight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Fairfax, VA
Age: 38
Posts: 4,261
Re: What Will Jason Campbell's Legacy Be?

Terrible offensive systems, getting hit like a pinata, too many fumbles, holding the ball too long. A bad situation and mediocre play.
Pocket$ $traight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 11:07 PM   #59
Gamebreaker
 
tryfuhl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Waldorf, MD
Age: 30
Posts: 12,514
Re: What Will Jason Campbell's Legacy Be?

we'll end up with somebody on here named JasonCampbellFan who mentions him in every possible spot
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 11:38 PM   #60
Living Legend
 
Ruhskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 15,850
Re: What Will Jason Campbell's Legacy Be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryfuhl View Post
we'll end up with somebody on here named JasonCampbellFan who mentions him in every possible spot
Or a JasonCampbellHater that won't stop bitching about him.
__________________
R.I.P. #21

New words created on The Warpath:
Rewalsr - Somretimes - Fualt - Jersesy - Itiot - Composetory
Afeard - Storgn - Empliment - Gaissn - Saftys - Minnisota
Faviort - Hatter - Phsyched - Foof - Heloing - Brutual
Stroried

"Give an opinion and move on. Your life doesn't depend on winning the internet." -FRPLG
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.45953 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25