Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Clinton Portis Interview-Part II

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2010, 08:52 PM   #16
Playmaker
 
Longtimefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Germantown, Md.
Posts: 4,832
Re: Clinton Portis Interview-Part II

For a player who proclaims himself a team player, throughout the interview there's an inordinate use of the ninth alphabet of the english language.
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-30-2010, 09:14 PM   #17
Registered User
 
The Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,662
Re: Clinton Portis Interview-Part II

Portis has several things going for him now as a Redskin. We've got a coach who commits to building a real o-line and using a stable of backs. CP's overall workload should go down significantly and he should get better blocking than he's had through most of his tenure w/ the Skins.

If his body is still capable and his head is in the right place I could see him have a big season...maybe 1000 yds, but again on fewer carries.
The Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 12:54 AM   #18
Gamebreaker
 
tryfuhl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Waldorf, MD
Age: 31
Posts: 12,514
Re: Clinton Portis Interview-Part II

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmdub130 View Post
we really need a young rb to come in and step up this year, thats why i would have loved to take best in the 7th, but oh well, atleast noel devine is coming out next year
what on earth made you think that Best would be there in the 7th?
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 01:21 AM   #19
Most Interesting Man in the World
 
hooskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Age: 27
Posts: 8,606
Re: Clinton Portis Interview-Part II

Im sick of his BS. He thinks he can go down as one of the greatest RBs ever? lol. He was amazing at one point, but he is washed up like the rest of our RBs.

Im hoping for some kind of zone blocking miracle.
__________________
Vacancy
hooskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 06:58 AM   #20
Playmaker
 
NYCskinfan82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Queens, NYC
Age: 45
Posts: 3,441
Re: Clinton Portis Interview-Part II

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooskins View Post
Im sick of his BS. He thinks he can go down as one of the greatest RBs ever? lol. He was amazing at one point, but he is washed up like the rest of our RBs.
Im hoping for some kind of zone blocking miracle.

I think your in for a nice surprise this year & if not we now have a QB who's use to not having a running game.
NYCskinfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 02:33 PM   #21
Most Interesting Man in the World
 
hooskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Age: 27
Posts: 8,606
Re: Clinton Portis Interview-Part II

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCskinfan82 View Post
I think your in for a nice surprise this year & if not we now have a QB who's use to not having a running game.
We can only hope
__________________
Vacancy
hooskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 02:55 PM   #22
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Clinton Portis Interview-Part II

Portis 2002-06 was probably the quickest or 2nd quickest (nod to LT) player in and out of his cuts in that timeframe. He never was a great vision back (aside from that excellent cut in 2004 against TB).

Portis 2007-2009 has been one of the least elusive backs in the NFL. He's still got some power in his legs to run through an arm tackle, but really, really needs a powerful line that doesn't allow penetration to be able to get those long seams. Regardless of what happens in 2010, he's just a part timer from here on out.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 03:39 PM   #23
Registered User
 
wilsowilso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Age: 41
Posts: 2,841
Re: Clinton Portis Interview-Part II

Once an NFL running back turns south...... east, west and north get scratched off the compass.
wilsowilso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 05:22 PM   #24
Registered User
 
The Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,662
Re: Clinton Portis Interview-Part II

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Portis 2002-06 was probably the quickest or 2nd quickest (nod to LT) player in and out of his cuts in that timeframe. He never was a great vision back (aside from that excellent cut in 2004 against TB).

Portis 2007-2009 has been one of the least elusive backs in the NFL. He's still got some power in his legs to run through an arm tackle, but really, really needs a powerful line that doesn't allow penetration to be able to get those long seams. Regardless of what happens in 2010, he's just a part timer from here on out.
I mean the optimist might hope CP's field vision might improve such that he can still evade tacklers despite the diminution in agility. One might further hope a slimmer Portis will cut better than the heavy/injured Portis of the last couple years.

Basically I tend to think CP is a fairly bright guy who wants to play longer and augment his stats/reputation/legacy as the greatest back to wear the B & G and one of the greatest of all time. If your analysis is accurate Tripp, which I believe it is, we should expect CP to embrace the transition to a different king of running strategy/scheme.
The Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:13 AM   #25
Playmaker
 
SouperMeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Leesburg, VA
Age: 50
Posts: 3,141
Re: Clinton Portis Interview-Part II

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
I mean the optimist might hope CP's field vision might improve such that he can still evade tacklers despite the diminution in agility. One might further hope a slimmer Portis will cut better than the heavy/injured Portis of the last couple years.

Basically I tend to think CP is a fairly bright guy who wants to play longer and augment his stats/reputation/legacy as the greatest back to wear the B & G and one of the greatest of all time. If your analysis is accurate Tripp, which I believe it is, we should expect CP to embrace the transition to a different king of running strategy/scheme.
Portis was spectacular for Denver running from this scheme. Admittedly, he has lost a step, but the key to a good RB in the Zone Blocking scheme is a single, DECISIVE cut upfield. I'm hopeful that if our O-line executes the scheme well, Portis can still be a 1,000 yard back sharing carries with LJ. The biggest key is the O-line play, as they were the weak link that destroyed the offense for the last year and a half.
SouperMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 01:15 AM   #26
Gamebreaker
 
tryfuhl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Waldorf, MD
Age: 31
Posts: 12,514
Re: Clinton Portis Interview-Part II

can't wait for this
Russellmania09

Wow--just transcribed what is going to be pretty wild comments & accusations by Clinton Portis. I've heard it 10 times, & still blown away.
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 10:27 PM   #27
Registered User
 
Nomad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 518
Re: Clinton Portis Interview-Part II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
He was younger and healthier back then. That was ages ago for a RB. If he's in tip top shape he could recapture some of that.
How soon we all forget, it was a year ago, before the injury (head) last year, he had pro bowl numbers. It's not like he has missed two or three years in a row and had bad seasons......
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:22 AM   #28
Playmaker
 
irish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,730
Re: Clinton Portis Interview-Part II

Thats the problem with CP, its always all about CP. The new coaches need to get rid of these me first guys.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:25 AM   #29
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 83,367
Re: Clinton Portis Interview-Part II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
How soon we all forget, it was a year ago, before the injury (head) last year, he had pro bowl numbers. It's not like he has missed two or three years in a row and had bad seasons......
The first 8 games of the 2008 season is a long time ago my friend. Since then he's been banged up and very mediocre. He's got something to prove.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:41 AM   #30
Playmaker
 
Slingin Sammy 33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 4,342
Re: Clinton Portis Interview-Part II

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
Basically I tend to think CP is a fairly bright guy who wants to play longer and augment his stats/reputation/legacy as the greatest back to wear the B & G and one of the greatest of all time. If your analysis is accurate Tripp, which I believe it is, we should expect CP to embrace the transition to a different king of running strategy/scheme.
Riggins, Larry Brown, Stephen Davis, Ernest Byner, Cliff Battles, all were better backs. Portis only has one Pro Bowl appearance in B & G. At this point Portis would need to basically carry the Skins on his back to a SB win before he's even in the discussion.
__________________
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.26844 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25