Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Mike Ditka

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2010, 08:58 AM   #16
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,874
Re: Mike Ditka

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
I think Ditka got caught up in making sure he won the game.

Its impossible to coach when you have to worry about getting players stats. Ditka was focused on winning the game not making sure everyone (no matter how great) got a TD. I suspect WP would take the win without getting a TD instead of a loss and 3 TDs. Winning is all that mattered.
37-3 toward the end of the 3rd quarter, ball on the 1 yard line. That's BS that he got caught up in winning the game
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 06-04-2010, 09:08 AM   #17
The Starter
 
SolidSnake84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Stephens City, VA
Posts: 1,897
Re: Mike Ditka

It was just so awesome every single time Fridge would go in for a TD....most of the time when he would line up, everybody would think he was a decoy, and then every single time he'd rumble right in...damn that guy was huge....

Payton deserved the carry in the SB though.....
__________________
Time to nut up or shut up
SolidSnake84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:14 AM   #18
The Starter
 
rypper11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Winston Salem, NC
Posts: 1,226
Re: Mike Ditka

At that time, I thought they'd be going back to the SB many more times. I'm sure Dikta wasn't thinking that it would be the last time Payton would have the opportunity to score in the SB.
__________________
Playing a kids game for a kings ransom.
rypper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:21 AM   #19
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 82,934
Re: Mike Ditka

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
37-3 toward the end of the 3rd quarter, ball on the 1 yard line. That's BS that he got caught up in winning the game
The game was over from the start too. The Patriots got run over by that Bears D, just like everyone else did that year.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:52 AM   #20
Playmaker
 
irish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,685
Re: Mike Ditka

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
37-3 toward the end of the 3rd quarter, ball on the 1 yard line. That's BS that he got caught up in winning the game
Spoken like a true Monday morning QB. Unfortunately Ditka didnt have the luxury of knowing how the game would end. I'm sure he felt pretty good about winning the game but I am certain he didnt want to take any chances.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:01 AM   #21
The Bringer of Digital Bling
 
Summo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Lindenhurst NY
Age: 44
Posts: 610
Re: Mike Ditka

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
Spoken like a true Monday morning QB. Unfortunately Ditka didnt have the luxury of knowing how the game would end. I'm sure he felt pretty good about winning the game but I am certain he didnt want to take any chances.
Are you serious? Everybody knew that the Patriots weren't going to do anything in that game after the first half with their -19 total yards!
__________________
Sports Art by Summo
Marauder Wear
Summo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:02 AM   #22
The Starter
 
budw38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Northern,Va.
Posts: 2,419
Re: Mike Ditka

It would have been nice for Payton to score , again , the game was almost over by halftime . Payton ending being one of my favorite players of all time . The first time I had seen him , we were playing them in Chicago ... I couldn't believe that we couldn't tackle that "little RB ".... awesome , tough football player , who would have made a great Redskin R.I.P. Sweetness .
budw38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:06 AM   #23
Playmaker
 
irish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,685
Re: Mike Ditka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summo View Post
Are you serious? Everybody knew that the Patriots weren't going to do anything in that game after the first half with their -19 total yards!
Like everyone else I didnt expect NE to win that game. I also didnt expect the Jets to beat the Colts, Oak to beat the Redskins, or the Giants to beat Buffalo but things happen and I dont blame Ditka for making sure he won the game.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:10 AM   #24
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 82,934
Re: Mike Ditka

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
Like everyone else I didnt expect NE to win that game. I also didnt expect the Jets to beat the Colts, Oak to beat the Redskins, or the Giants to beat Buffalo but things happen and I dont blame Ditka for making sure he won the game.
Perhaps you missed the point that it was late in the 3rd quarter and the score was 37-3 when the Fridge got that carry.

The game was over.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:18 AM   #25
Playmaker
 
irish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,685
Re: Mike Ditka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Perhaps you missed the point that it was late in the 3rd quarter and the score was 37-3 when the Fridge got that carry.

The game was over.
No, I remember watching the game and pretty much thinking the same thing but you assume Ditka knew the score or if he did that he cared what the score was. I remember Buffalo coming from way back in the second half vs Houston in the playoffs. Ditka wasnt going to let that happen because he's coaching pro football not PeeWee league.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:19 AM   #26
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 82,934
Re: Mike Ditka

Also lost in this was the fact McMahon had 2 goal line sneaks for scores.

Payton was a great short yardage back in his day, I understand using a guy as a decoy at times, but sometimes coaches outsmart themselves a bit and I think that's what happened with Ditka.

Needless to say of course all that matters is they won the game. Payton never made a big deal about it publicly and I'm sure in the grand scheme of his career it wasn't a huge thing to him. Just would have been nice to see him score instead of the circus sideshow that was the Fridge.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:22 AM   #27
The Bringer of Digital Bling
 
Summo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Lindenhurst NY
Age: 44
Posts: 610
Re: Mike Ditka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Also lost in this was the fact McMahon had 2 goal line sneaks for scores.

Payton was a great short yardage back in his day, I understand using a guy as a decoy at times, but sometimes coaches outsmart themselves a bit and I think that's what happened with Ditka.

Needless to say of course all that matters is they won the game. Payton never made a big deal about it publicly and I'm sure in the grand scheme of his career it wasn't a huge thing to him. Just would have been nice to see him score instead of the circus sideshow that was the Fridge.
Good point about McMahon, I remember thinking that he should have won the MVP for that game and not Dent, but in retrospect, we know the NFL wasn't going to give that to him with the way he defied Rozelle with the whole headband thing.
__________________
Sports Art by Summo
Marauder Wear
Summo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 11:23 AM   #28
Playmaker
 
Longtimefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Germantown, Md.
Posts: 4,832
Re: Mike Ditka

Courage Summo! Had the Q&A session been allowed to continue, I'm sure someone would have eventually asked him about his love for Ricky Williams.

Last edited by Longtimefan; 06-04-2010 at 10:23 PM.
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 11:23 AM   #29
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,874
Re: Mike Ditka

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
No, I remember watching the game and pretty much thinking the same thing but you assume Ditka knew the score or if he did that he cared what the score was. I remember Buffalo coming from way back in the second half vs Houston in the playoffs. Ditka wasnt going to let that happen because he's coaching pro football not PeeWee league.
Now I remember why I don't usually respond to your posts. We get better responses from kidwell...and we had to ban him for having no point.

There's really no defending what Ditka did, even Ditka's said as much.
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 11:46 AM   #30
MVP
 
dmek25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: lancaster,pa
Age: 53
Posts: 10,519
Re: Mike Ditka

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
No, I remember watching the game and pretty much thinking the same thing but you assume Ditka knew the score or if he did that he cared what the score was. I remember Buffalo coming from way back in the second half vs Houston in the playoffs. Ditka wasnt going to let that happen because he's coaching pro football not PeeWee league.
huh? i usually see your side, but your way off base with this
__________________
"It's better to be quiet and thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt."
courtesy of 53fan
dmek25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.27278 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25