Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


NFL Players Weigh In On Haynesworth Situation

Redskins Locker Room


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2010, 12:17 PM   #16
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,792
Re: NFL Players Weigh In On Haynesworth Situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by artmonkforhallofamein07 View Post
Thanks Smoot.

To follow up on Question #1s answer.

1. Are they paid at all during OTA's, Work Out Days, and Mini Camps?
If they show up, yes. But it's basically a stipend to cover basic expenses
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline  

Advertisements
Old 06-25-2010, 12:53 PM   #17
Playmaker
 
Longtimefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Germantown, Md.
Posts: 4,832
Re: NFL Players Weigh In On Haynesworth Situation

When it rain's it pours
__________________
A revolution is coming and it will be televised.
Longtimefan is offline  
Old 06-25-2010, 01:07 PM   #18
Registered User
 
BigHairedAristocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,917
Re: NFL Players Weigh In On Haynesworth Situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
At this point any defense of AH rings hollow to me. I just can't get behind that line of thinking.
I'm with you there. Mike Wilbon echoed Thomas' argument defending Haynesworth on PTI a few weeks ago. The thing that drives me crazy about that argument is that there is no language in player's contracts garaunteeing them that the system will not change for the duration of the contract. None whatsoever. However, there is wording in the contract that obligates him to, among other things, show up for mandatory activities.

Sure, Haynesworth might have been enticed to the Redskins because they ran a 4-3. He might have even been told that he'd be used a certain way. If so, I'm sure no one was out to decieve him. As others have said, hings change. It's a reality of the NFL. Sure, Haynesworth might be disappointed or disgruntled that things didnt work out as he envisioned, but lets get real for a second...

Before Haynesworth CHOSE to become a Washington Redskin, he knew that Jim Zorn, widely reguarded as a complete joke of a head coach, was in the hot seat. He knew, or should have known as it was widely rumored, that Cerrato if things didnt turn around after year two, he was out as well. Further, Blache had been flirting with retirement for several years, so Haynesworth should have taken his possible departure into account as well.

So lets, recap, shall wel? Haynesworth new, coming in, that it was possible, if not likely, that the "GM," Head Coach, and possibly the Defensive Coordinator would be canned after his first year with the team, yet he chose to sign with us anyway, amidst all that uncertainty. If you remember, there were 4 teams reported to be actively interested in Haynesworth - the Titans, Giants, Bucs, and Redskins. Those first two teams have far more stable coaching staffs. If it was so important to him that he stick with a 4-3 defense, why not go to either of them? Oh, I forgot, because neither of them came close to meeting his financial demands. So he chose the Redskins. Because, as much uncertainty surrounded the team, they were willing to pay the most.

So what does Haynesworth do when he finds out the teams switching to a 3-4? He talks to Shanahan and Shanahan tells him they'll RELEASE him so he can go wherever he wants to, as long as he doesnt take a 21 million dollar check from the team. Instead of taking them up on the offer, he takes the money, and THEN demands to be traded or released. Haynesworth is nothing but a greedy scumbag. The only people who take his side in this matter are also greedy scumbags. Haynesworth can think what he wants, but no one is ever, EVER going to give him a big payday again. He's dug his own grave. If he leaves here, the most he'll ever see from another team is short-term, performance-based contracts. Good luck with that.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline  
Old 06-25-2010, 01:08 PM   #19
Playmaker
 
artmonkforhallofamein07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Charleston , SC
Posts: 4,700
Re: NFL Players Weigh In On Haynesworth Situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
If they show up, yes. But it's basically a stipend to cover basic expenses
Perfect. Thanks for all the info. I always wondered how these guys collected checks and how they were compensated during the offseason if they were at all.
__________________
Robert Griffin III welcome to the Washington Redskins!

Year 1 - NFC EAST Champions at 10-6

Year 2 - 3-10... Benched 14 weeks to late.....

Year 3 - Pure Awesomeness!!

http://site.fandangoracinginc.com/
artmonkforhallofamein07 is offline  
Old 06-25-2010, 01:16 PM   #20
Playmaker
 
Longtimefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Germantown, Md.
Posts: 4,832
Re: NFL Players Weigh In On Haynesworth Situation

People who live in glass houses' themselves should save their stones. A lot of perfect people weighing in on the Haynesworth situation. (sarcasm)
__________________
A revolution is coming and it will be televised.
Longtimefan is offline  
Old 06-25-2010, 01:39 PM   #21
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 82,345
Re: NFL Players Weigh In On Haynesworth Situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
I'm with you there. Mike Wilbon echoed Thomas' argument defending Haynesworth on PTI a few weeks ago. The thing that drives me crazy about that argument is that there is no language in player's contracts garaunteeing them that the system will not change for the duration of the contract. None whatsoever. However, there is wording in the contract that obligates him to, among other things, show up for mandatory activities.

Sure, Haynesworth might have been enticed to the Redskins because they ran a 4-3. He might have even been told that he'd be used a certain way. If so, I'm sure no one was out to decieve him. As others have said, hings change. It's a reality of the NFL. Sure, Haynesworth might be disappointed or disgruntled that things didnt work out as he envisioned, but lets get real for a second...

Before Haynesworth CHOSE to become a Washington Redskin, he knew that Jim Zorn, widely reguarded as a complete joke of a head coach, was in the hot seat. He knew, or should have known as it was widely rumored, that Cerrato if things didnt turn around after year two, he was out as well. Further, Blache had been flirting with retirement for several years, so Haynesworth should have taken his possible departure into account as well.

So lets, recap, shall wel? Haynesworth new, coming in, that it was possible, if not likely, that the "GM," Head Coach, and possibly the Defensive Coordinator would be canned after his first year with the team, yet he chose to sign with us anyway, amidst all that uncertainty. If you remember, there were 4 teams reported to be actively interested in Haynesworth - the Titans, Giants, Bucs, and Redskins. Those first two teams have far more stable coaching staffs. If it was so important to him that he stick with a 4-3 defense, why not go to either of them? Oh, I forgot, because neither of them came close to meeting his financial demands. So he chose the Redskins. Because, as much uncertainty surrounded the team, they were willing to pay the most.

So what does Haynesworth do when he finds out the teams switching to a 3-4? He talks to Shanahan and Shanahan tells him they'll RELEASE him so he can go wherever he wants to, as long as he doesnt take a 21 million dollar check from the team. Instead of taking them up on the offer, he takes the money, and THEN demands to be traded or released. Haynesworth is nothing but a greedy scumbag. The only people who take his side in this matter are also greedy scumbags. Haynesworth can think what he wants, but no one is ever, EVER going to give him a big payday again. He's dug his own grave. If he leaves here, the most he'll ever see from another team is short-term, performance-based contracts. Good luck with that.
Change is part of life in the NFL. Funny thing is he was bitching about Blache so wasn't he basically asking for change? And on top of that he's not even giving the new regime and system a chance. F him.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline  
Old 06-27-2010, 11:40 AM   #22
Playmaker
 
skinsfan_nn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Newport News,Virginia
Age: 49
Posts: 4,495
Re: NFL Players Weigh In On Haynesworth Situation

I guess ya gotta start somewhere...

Nashville Real Estate Briefs: Real estate dispute leads to settlement | tennessean.com | The Tennessean
__________________
"There's no greater feeling than moving a man from Point A to Point B, against his will." #68

THANKS COACH GIBBS FOR EVERYTHING! YOUR THE MAN AND ALWAYS WILL BE!
skinsfan_nn is offline  
Old 06-27-2010, 06:07 PM   #23
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: NFL Players Weigh In On Haynesworth Situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
So what does Haynesworth do when he finds out the teams switching to a 3-4? He talks to Shanahan and Shanahan tells him they'll RELEASE him so he can go wherever he wants to, as long as he doesnt take a 21 million dollar check from the team. Instead of taking them up on the offer, he takes the money, and THEN demands to be traded or released. Haynesworth is nothing but a greedy scumbag. The only people who take his side in this matter are also greedy scumbags. Haynesworth can think what he wants, but no one is ever, EVER going to give him a big payday again. He's dug his own grave. If he leaves here, the most he'll ever see from another team is short-term, performance-based contracts. Good luck with that.
Haynesworth was never offered his release, or so I hear. The conversation between him and Shanny in February was much closer to saying, "if we pay you this bonus (which we have to anyway), we expect you to be a good teammate and do what your told." There wasn't an ultimatum, or even a decision to be bad.

Haynesworth has been nothing but a pain in the ass since that day, but he's been pretty straightforward about his intentions. There's been little if any deception.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline  
Old 06-27-2010, 07:18 PM   #24
Registered User
 
The Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,662
Re: NFL Players Weigh In On Haynesworth Situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
I'm with you there. Mike Wilbon echoed Thomas' argument defending Haynesworth on PTI a few weeks ago. The thing that drives me crazy about that argument is that there is no language in player's contracts garaunteeing them that the system will not change for the duration of the contract. None whatsoever. However, there is wording in the contract that obligates him to, among other things, show up for mandatory activities.

Sure, Haynesworth might have been enticed to the Redskins because they ran a 4-3. He might have even been told that he'd be used a certain way. If so, I'm sure no one was out to decieve him. As others have said, hings change. It's a reality of the NFL. Sure, Haynesworth might be disappointed or disgruntled that things didnt work out as he envisioned, but lets get real for a second...

Before Haynesworth CHOSE to become a Washington Redskin, he knew that Jim Zorn, widely reguarded as a complete joke of a head coach, was in the hot seat. He knew, or should have known as it was widely rumored, that Cerrato if things didnt turn around after year two, he was out as well. Further, Blache had been flirting with retirement for several years, so Haynesworth should have taken his possible departure into account as well.

So lets, recap, shall wel? Haynesworth new, coming in, that it was possible, if not likely, that the "GM," Head Coach, and possibly the Defensive Coordinator would be canned after his first year with the team, yet he chose to sign with us anyway, amidst all that uncertainty. If you remember, there were 4 teams reported to be actively interested in Haynesworth - the Titans, Giants, Bucs, and Redskins. Those first two teams have far more stable coaching staffs. If it was so important to him that he stick with a 4-3 defense, why not go to either of them? Oh, I forgot, because neither of them came close to meeting his financial demands. So he chose the Redskins. Because, as much uncertainty surrounded the team, they were willing to pay the most.

So what does Haynesworth do when he finds out the teams switching to a 3-4? He talks to Shanahan and Shanahan tells him they'll RELEASE him so he can go wherever he wants to, as long as he doesnt take a 21 million dollar check from the team. Instead of taking them up on the offer, he takes the money, and THEN demands to be traded or released. Haynesworth is nothing but a greedy scumbag. The only people who take his side in this matter are also greedy scumbags. Haynesworth can think what he wants, but no one is ever, EVER going to give him a big payday again. He's dug his own grave. If he leaves here, the most he'll ever see from another team is short-term, performance-based contracts. Good luck with that.
This is an excellent and insightful post. I think we could take it all a step further tho (after agreeing AH was, is and always will be about the money) and put the real blame directly on the previous regime. Vinny (and Danny Boy) hired a mercenary who has no allegiance to anyone or anything but himself. But it didn't stop there. Because of the absurdly overvalued contract the mercenary felt even more emboldened. It just so happens the new regime wants to go a different direction w/ the defense and it doesn't compromise/negotiate w/ the players. The AH situation probably cannot be mended.

I'm no NFL guru however my intuition is you're wrong on the last point (to some degree). No AH will never get a contract like he did here. But he'll be paid handsomely again. He'll sit across from mgmt w/ some franchise desperately needing a monster on defense. He'll convince them he truly wants to be the greatest. He'll convince them he can be that guy in the right defensive scheme. And...he'll basically deliver. If AH is lucky enough to sign w/ a contender, especially if the DC is bright enough to build the defensive front around his talents, he'll likely be the best DT in football.

The irony here is AH probably "wins" this war. Our defensive front is pretty effing sad. Our HC and DC have underwhelming defensive records at best. Things will be very, very interesting 6 months from now if AH is w/ Minn and the Redskins are dropping games because the defense gives up 30 points every week.

To those who suggest Shanny should keep AH and bench him for the season I don't doubt this could happen. Just be prepared for the onslaught of criticism and frustration if our defense gets shredded early in the season. Shanny is one of the more unyielding personalities in the game and I'm very curious how he'll react to the D.C. media if our defense takes a big step back this season.
The Goat is offline  
Old 06-27-2010, 10:15 PM   #25
Playmaker
 
SkinzWin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 2,725
Re: NFL Players Weigh In On Haynesworth Situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimefan View Post
People who live in glass houses' themselves should save their stones. A lot of perfect people weighing in on the Haynesworth situation. (sarcasm)
Can we just shoot at him with bean bag guns when he shows up? It can replace Lt. Dan, I mean Zorn's, dodgeball practices to tune up for the season.
__________________
Sean Taylor #21 a Redskin forever...

Draft winners, not stars.

Hail to the Redskins
Hail victory
Braves on the warpath
Block for RG3
SkinzWin is offline  
Old 06-28-2010, 09:09 AM   #26
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,800
Re: NFL Players Weigh In On Haynesworth Situation

I didn't and still don't have a problem with Zorn's dodgeball/slip slide methods that you mention, Zorn's problems were as a head coach/offensive coordinator, not as qb coach.

If AH shows, I would love to see the daily practices that Shanahan/Haslett put him through. I am pretty sure he will have an injury after one day!
__________________
Dirtbag59, sending songs to oblivion 1 writer at a time.
CRedskinsRule is offline  
Old 06-28-2010, 09:52 AM   #27
The Starter
 
KI Skins Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: MD Eastern Shore
Posts: 2,325
Re: NFL Players Weigh In On Haynesworth Situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimefan View Post
People who live in glass houses' themselves should save their stones. A lot of perfect people weighing in on the Haynesworth situation. (sarcasm)
You are so right! Which of us hasn't been paid $32M in the last year and a half and yet won't even show up for work because the boss reorganized our department? And which of us, though very wealthy, hasn't paid our debts or even supported our own children? Which of us hasn't gotten a stripper pregnant? Which of us hasn't injured another man in an auto accident while (allegedly) speeding? Which of us hasn't been sitting on a boat all summer while our coworkers are taking care of the business?

To what impossibly low standard are you comparing him?
KI Skins Fan is offline  
Old 06-28-2010, 09:56 AM   #28
Playmaker
 
SkinzWin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 2,725
Re: NFL Players Weigh In On Haynesworth Situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
I didn't and still don't have a problem with Zorn's dodgeball/slip slide methods that you mention, Zorn's problems were as a head coach/offensive coordinator, not as qb coach.

If AH shows, I would love to see the daily practices that Shanahan/Haslett put him through. I am pretty sure he will have an injury after one day!
You are right but I just can't help but feeling his 4H summer camp games reflected how players saw and felt about him. Obviously it was not with respect and seriousness. I mean I know the guys pulled for him during the year, but everyone could tell the way he ran things and handled things was a joke. It is probably a lot harder to take a QB coach seriously if you can't take him seriously as a play caller or head coach. Especially not after you get play calling stripped from you for B4, N37, O62.
__________________
Sean Taylor #21 a Redskin forever...

Draft winners, not stars.

Hail to the Redskins
Hail victory
Braves on the warpath
Block for RG3
SkinzWin is offline  
Old 06-28-2010, 01:09 PM   #29
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,792
Re: NFL Players Weigh In On Haynesworth Situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
You are so right! Which of us hasn't been paid $32M in the last year and a half and yet won't even show up for work because the boss reorganized our department? And which of us, though very wealthy, hasn't paid our debts or even supported our own children? Which of us hasn't gotten a stripper pregnant? Which of us hasn't injured another man in an auto accident while (allegedly) speeding? Which of us hasn't been sitting on a boat all summer while our coworkers are taking care of the business?

To what impossibly low standard are you comparing him?
I had assumed he was referring to what other NFL players were saying about AH, not us
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline  
Old 06-28-2010, 02:18 PM   #30
The Starter
 
Redskin Warrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montgomery, AL
Posts: 1,498
Re: NFL Players Weigh In On Haynesworth Situation

D.C. Sports Bog - Ray Lewis on Haynesworth

Ray Lewis, Keith Bullock & Darnell Dockett speak on Haynesworth good read
__________________
WIN, LOSE OR DRAW I'M A DIE-HARD REDSKIN FAN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
First they ban winning...now this?
Redskin Warrior is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.38238 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25