Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Redskins are Winners!

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2010, 03:18 PM   #1
Special Teams
 
SCRedskinsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 394
Redskins are Winners!

Kinda nice to have some positive pressfor a change. Especially the part recognizing our new front office... Here's Alex Marvez take on the 2010 preseason:

BIGGEST WINNERS

Washington Redskins: The team’s most competent head coach-general manager pairing since the early 1990s has made strides to help the Skins return to those glory days. Donovan McNabb should thrive in Mike Shanahan’s offense, especially with the bookend tackles - 2010 first-round pick Trent Williams and two-time Pro Bowl selection Jammal Brown - added by Bruce Allen to help protect Washington’s new starting quarterback.

Now, do the Redskins have the right personnel to quickly thrive in Jim Haslett’s 3-4 defense? Will the Albert Haynesworth situation get even more toxic? And can the Redskins get production out of their suspect running backs and wide receivers? Although there’s too much uncertainty to predict a Redskins playoff berth, this franchise is definitely back on track.
SCRedskinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 07-16-2010, 03:24 PM   #2
Special Teams
 
SCRedskinsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 394
Re: Redskins are Winners!

Sorry, couldn't post link.

The quote is from Fox Sports (7/16) -- the story line is: "Reviewing this offseason's winners and losers." Biggest losers were the Steelers, by the way...
SCRedskinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 03:55 PM   #3
Impact Rookie
 
warpaint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Great State of Texas
Posts: 997
Re: Redskins are Winners!

We've difinitley added some nice peaces this year all we need is Big AL to become a team player.

I do believe M.Shannahan "The Great Motivater" put his skills to work with AL. The man had weight issues his whole career but now all of a sudden one converasation with M.S. and dudes dropped like 30 something pounds just not to play Nose Tackle. Maybe M.S. never wanted him there but he got that ass in shape if the stories are true.
__________________
"Not only do you get a 1st down, but you get a whole new set of downs" John Madden
warpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 04:28 PM   #4
Playmaker
 
Trample the Elderly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Three Chopt Virginia
Age: 36
Posts: 2,906
Re: Redskins are Winners!

We shall see soon enough.
__________________
A funny thing happened on the way to the temple. The moneychangers bought the priesthood.
Trample the Elderly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 04:32 PM   #5
Thank You, Sean.
 
Gmanc711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Gaithersburg, MD
Age: 28
Posts: 7,499
Re: Redskins are Winners!

I mean, I still don't know just quite how 2010 will go yet...but we're defintley on the right track. I feel really good about the direction this franchise is headed in. When people have asked me how I think the Skins will be, I've said I think 2011 is the year to watch out for them (pending no lockout).. I think there is so much that needed to be taken care of, that I thought it would take a couple years...

That being said, with the addition of the two tackles, McNabb and just the coaching... there is a lot I'm really optomistic about.... The wide receiver situation is a big concern of mine though. I really thought this was Devin Thomas' year to break out, but so far the reports on him have not been all that great so we'll see I guess.
__________________
#21
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 04:36 PM   #6
Playmaker
 
Defensewins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,847
Re: Redskins are Winners!

Finally having a competent Front Office and Snyder taking off his GM paper hat will go a long way to getting us back to being a winning team. Then add our strong coaching staff and we are well on our way.
I am little worried about the forced switch to 3-4. I do not like how power running teams can sometimes run right up the middle on a 3-4. Our strength was run stopping and particularly stopping the runs up the middle. Seems like we are potentially trading good run stopping for (flash) sacks and blitzes. Hopefully we will have a defense that is good all the way around.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 04:41 PM   #7
The Starter
 
Mechanix544's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Fort Bliss, TX
Posts: 2,277
Re: Redskins are Winners!

Again, Here is to HOPING!

Sounds good on paper. But I don't think T. Williams qualifies as a bookend left tackle just yet. Too many tackles come into this league highly touted, and they plain suck. I hope that is not the case here, almost sure it isn't, but you never know.
Mechanix544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 04:53 PM   #8
Pro Bowl
 
SFREDSKIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pacifica, CA
Posts: 7,367
Re: Redskins are Winners!

I agree, we will make the playoffs and it wouldn't surprise me if possibly more. Williams will start as a pretty good rookie and will end up a solid tackle by the end of the season. He couldn't be worse than what we have had the last couple of years.
__________________
Joe Gibbs- The best coach of all time, Lombardi trophy should be renamed Gibbs.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.


Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 04:57 PM   #9
The Starter
 
wolfeskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: chesapeake,va.
Posts: 2,160
Re: Redskins are Winners!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensewins View Post
Finally having a competent Front Office and Snyder taking off his GM paper hat will go a long way to getting us back to being a winning team. Then add our strong coaching staff and we are well on our way.
I am little worried about the forced switch to 3-4. I do not like how power running teams can sometimes run right up the middle on a 3-4. Our strength was run stopping and particularly stopping the runs up the middle. Seems like we are potentially trading good run stopping for (flash) sacks and blitzes. Hopefully we will have a defense that is good all the way around.

thats all very true but the nfc east isn't the smashmouth football of yesteryear. the giants are still a good running team, with some smashmouth rbs, the cowboys have some pretty good rbs but not smashmouth, they have a fast outside runner in felix jones
(who i think will be their feature back this season). they rely pretty heavily on romo and their passing game. then theres the eagles,without mcnabb, maybe they'll run the ball a bit more but i doubt it. they'll more then likely be the same ol pass happy team they've been for years.

having said all that, i think the switch to a 3-4 defense will ultimately be a good thing. giving up a few more run yards in order to get more sacks, qb pressures and turnovers sounds good to me.
__________________
Hail to Allen/Shanahan .... bring in some baby hogs and load up on diesel fuel !!! (budw38)
wolfeskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 05:04 PM   #10
Registered User
 
BigHairedAristocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,917
Re: Redskins are Winners!

we've been getting overwhelmingly positive press ever since Snyder fired Cerrato. I think this "nice to get positive press" talk no longer applies to our present situation. Nowadays, i'm more surprised when i read something negative about the team than when i read something positive.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 05:19 PM   #11
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,273
Re: Redskins are Winners!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfeskins View Post
thats all very true but the nfc east isn't the smashmouth football of yesteryear. the giants are still a good running team, with some smashmouth rbs, the cowboys have some pretty good rbs but not smashmouth, they have a fast outside runner in felix jones
(who i think will be their feature back this season). they rely pretty heavily on romo and their passing game. then theres the eagles,without mcnabb, maybe they'll run the ball a bit more but i doubt it. they'll more then likely be the same ol pass happy team they've been for years.

having said all that, i think the switch to a 3-4 defense will ultimately be a good thing. giving up a few more run yards in order to get more sacks, qb pressures and turnovers sounds good to me.
Barber is on the smashmouth side of things
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 05:46 PM   #12
Special Teams
 
SCRedskinsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 394
Re: Redskins are Winners!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
we've been getting overwhelmingly positive press ever since Snyder fired Cerrato. I think this "nice to get positive press" talk no longer applies to our present situation. Nowadays, i'm more surprised when i read something negative about the team than when i read something positive.
I don't know BHA, I'm still reading about the "same old" trading away picks for aging stars and Snyder pulling the strings. Maybe I'm seeing old stuff, but it feels good to get positive press in any case...
SCRedskinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 06:05 PM   #13
Playmaker
 
Defensewins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,847
Re: Redskins are Winners!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfeskins View Post
thats all very true but the nfc east isn't the smashmouth football of yesteryear. the giants are still a good running team, with some smashmouth rbs, the cowboys have some pretty good rbs but not smashmouth, they have a fast outside runner in felix jones
(who i think will be their feature back this season). they rely pretty heavily on romo and their passing game. then theres the eagles,without mcnabb, maybe they'll run the ball a bit more but i doubt it. they'll more then likely be the same ol pass happy team they've been for years.

having said all that, i think the switch to a 3-4 defense will ultimately be a good thing. giving up a few more run yards in order to get more sacks, qb pressures and turnovers sounds good to me.
As you say, giving up a FEW yards is fine, but if you start giving up 5 yards a carry I say hell no. If you can not stop the run you can kiss off your season/playoff/SB chances.
To your other point, sure some of those teams are not 'smash mouth' by definition, but it is amazing how quickly these teams can become one when they realize you have a weakness. If there is blood in the water every team is going exploit your weakness.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 09:06 PM   #14
The Starter
 
wolfeskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: chesapeake,va.
Posts: 2,160
Re: Redskins are Winners!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Barber is on the smashmouth side of things
yea but i don't see him as their #1 back. i think it will be felix jones,if he's healthy.
__________________
Hail to Allen/Shanahan .... bring in some baby hogs and load up on diesel fuel !!! (budw38)
wolfeskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 09:11 PM   #15
The Starter
 
wolfeskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: chesapeake,va.
Posts: 2,160
Re: Redskins are Winners!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensewins View Post
As you say, giving up a FEW yards is fine, but if you start giving up 5 yards a carry I say hell no. If you can not stop the run you can kiss off your season/playoff/SB chances.
To your other point, sure some of those teams are not 'smash mouth' by definition, but it is amazing how quickly these teams can become one when they realize you have a weakness. If there is blood in the water every team is going exploit your weakness.
yea, i'm with ya. they can't start giving up 5 yards a carry, that would be horrid.
__________________
Hail to Allen/Shanahan .... bring in some baby hogs and load up on diesel fuel !!! (budw38)
wolfeskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.29727 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25