Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Good for Campbell

Redskins Locker Room


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2010, 06:07 PM   #106
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 80,426
Re: Good for Campbell

I think he needs to be with another team or two to technically be considered a journeyman.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline  

Advertisements
Old 08-13-2010, 06:10 PM   #107
Pro Bowl
 
SirClintonPortis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,052
Re: Good for Campbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkFan4Life View Post
Dude honestly? I give examples all day but you all just say no he didn't and the o line was bad and you all are geniuses. It truly is pointless. His play will do all the talking but you all will find an excuse for that as well. He is as indecisive a QB as I have seen in a long time. Take away last year, which is bad for you all because you take away his best year TD wise. But what do you have left ?

I can't use the '07 season as an example because you all will say that it doesn't count because Todd Collins who had to play behind the same O-Line and use the same receivers that couldn't play well and led this team to the playoffs when we were running away from playoff contention. Why ? Because you all will say that it was just because Todd Collins was in Al Saunders' system forever. Cool. Even though we had to defeat the Vikings, Giants, Cowboys, and Bears all four teams had pretty damn good defenses that year but it wouldn't fly though would it ?

I can't use his first year with Zorn because you all will just say that he was good early in the year and that Ron Jaworski said that Campbell played well. But you will forget how Jaworski ripped JC and his followers about JC not having time. But you all would've probably missed that game.

For some reason I am the only guy here who saw JC miss recievers time and time again on deep routes. Whether it was a deep post, a deep out, a fly, or even a fade that he threw put of bounds consistently buuuut I'm sure that would be the receivers fault.

Or how about the line adjustments that he wouldn't quite do ? I mean lets be real people. You all talked about how he wasn't allowed to audible because he was being held back by the administration but he told Matt Mosley that he checked from a pass to a run on a 3 and 8 against the Giants because he forgot the down and distance.

You can look back at the games and see where he misses receivers or waits too long to pull the trigger. When has he wowed you as a fan ? When did you ever look at him and say damn he's good ? I'm sure that you probably left many games saying If he only, or He was that close. Hold on to that New Orleans game because that was the only time that he showed a glimmer of brilliance in my opinion. You tell me when he pointed out a blitz, or when he made you feel like he was special. But what the hell do I know ?

I'm sure some of you play Madden and if you can figure out that sometimes you need to change a protection to survive,.. Why can't he ?

Have your fun loving him and his subpar play. Like I've always said, UNTIL he changes his game he will be what he is. Middle of the pack and apparently we as Redskins fans believe that middle of the pack can work because waaaaaaaaay back in the day we were able to win without the best QB's in the league. The man NEVER had to compete for his job, and only when he was told that he would be replaced did he decide to start becoming a leader on this team. So GTripp maybe this isn't good enough but you all kill me with the way that you all defend him.. You can be so critical of everyone elses play but this guy,...this guy gets a pass. But why ?

He's a Raider and I'm officially done talking about him here. I'll save it for another area where I can talk and see the look in someones eyes when they realize that ot's not just hate, but the fact that I'm a fan of this team who wasn't willing to settle for subpar play at the most important position in all of sports.

Jason Campbell is a bum and I'm done talking about him.

Have fun with this.
I find that you attacking JC's character reprehensive more than anything about his play. Actually, when you made that post that set off this firestorm, it was about his character. If you are so inclined to believing and propagating nearly libelous or calumnious beliefs based on a person's ability to play football or his honest (and as discreet as possible) assessment of the play of the guys around him, then I say that you have a personal vendetta against him that extends to much more than just bad QB play.

Not only that, you go accusing folks of beliefs that may not hold. I, for one, believe that Jason Campbell simply requires too large of a margin for error to make it in the playoffs without an exceptional supporting cast.
__________________
Analysis using datasets (aka stats) is an attempt at reverse-engineering a player's "goodness".

Virtuosity remembered, douchebaggery forgotten.

The ideal character profile shoved down modern Western men and women's throats is Don Juan.
SirClintonPortis is offline  
Old 08-13-2010, 06:12 PM   #108
Impact Rookie
 
Redskin Jim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New Orleans, LA- via VA
Age: 36
Posts: 635
Re: Good for Campbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
I think he needs to be with another team or two to technically be considered a journeyman.
Do you mean we don't have a good enough evidence sample to determine JC is a journeyman? If so, I agree. I will also stick to my opinion that that's what he has shown me he is so far.
__________________
Hail to The REDSKINS
Redskin Jim is offline  
Old 08-13-2010, 08:27 PM   #109
Living Legend
 
Ruhskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 15,750
Re: Good for Campbell

This is another topic people need to get over with. My God, why do we have such whining fans. I don't think even Vinny get such anger-filled posts.
__________________
R.I.P. #21

New words created on The Warpath:
Rewalsr - Somretimes - Fualt - Jersesy - Itiot - Composetory
Afeard - Storgn - Empliment - Gaissn - Saftys - Minnisota
Faviort - Hatter - Phsyched - Foof - Heloing - Brutual
Stroried

"Give an opinion and move on. Your life doesn't depend on winning the internet." -FRPLG
Ruhskins is offline  
Old 08-13-2010, 08:41 PM   #110
The Starter
 
MonkFan4Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Age: 37
Posts: 1,840
Re: Good for Campbell

Alright so I attacked his character by pointing out that he much like a teammate of his "threw the O-Line" under the bus ? If that's attacking his character then you are making my point. There was a double standard that he could say something and it was okay but if someone else did then it may or may not be wrong. When I spoke about him I never attacked him as a person, I attacked him as a player. His play on the field, not what he did for children but what he did on the field. Maybe that was wrong of me, if I can't talk about him as a player then why are we here ? Like I said in another thread I can go on Albert Haynesworth, Clinton Portis, Dan Snyder, Vinny Cerato, and whoever else the majority deems worthy of slander here but not the ones that you all view as being liked. GTripp I wasn't saying that Collins was the answer just making an observation that we had enough and a guy who had less talent than Jason IMO was able to produce against good, not bad teams. And Todd Collins was calling protections. If he wasn't he told someone something. He pointed something out. Checked a receivers route. But if you didn't see it then it didn't happen I guess. i know what I saw, I know what I see the good QB's do. JC just didn't do it IMO. There is an article that came out prior to the '09 season where JC speaks about having less to think about because the O-Line has blitz rules and he doesn't have to call his protections. You say that the systems that we had did not ask for the QB to call a protection because the coaches did it. Really ? So when the middle linebacker changes something the QB isn't allowed to ? If you looked at the video I pointed out to you then you would know that you were fairly incorrect on that one.

I just finished watching Donovan lead a scoring drive. The latest #17 is no longer here and I am seriously done talking about him. If you all are confused in any way about what I've said in this post then I don't know what to do. Last but not least, SolidSnake I was serious. Once again I was just giving yet another example of the Jason Campbell double standard. Where yes Portis was a headache for Jim Zorn, and he was said to have thrown JC under the bus but all he did was say what JC would say about himself. MAYBE you all don't remember but Jason himself would say that he is not an in your face vocal leader. That's all that Clinton said, JC took it to heart but all Clinton really did was reaffirm what Jason said about himself.

To end, SirClintonPortis you are funny. I have a personal vendetta against him because I say that he's not a good QB ? Never made this thing personal, please take time to actually read what I said and if I said anything about his character as a man, human being, guy from the south, whatever please show me where.

Damn my Skins look good.
__________________
Catch me on YouTube !

http://www.youtube.com/user/DowntimeRB?feature=mhw5

The "punishment" by the league : "It's like getting a ticket for going too fast on a road a week ago and they changed the speed limit today"
MonkFan4Life is offline  
Old 08-13-2010, 09:43 PM   #111
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,993
Re: Good for Campbell

Regardless of what Collins was actually changing at the line in his few plays this season, is there any reason to believe the protection was actually better when he was in? I mean, Collins looked great when he was in and his first read on a play came open -- he was accurate and could stick it in there -- but seemed to me that things broke down for sir scrappy just as quickly as they did for Campbell, and usually with more disastrous results.

If the point is Collins seemed to the untrained eye to be more in charge before the snap than the starter, well, great. I don't care.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline  
Old 08-14-2010, 12:27 AM   #112
Playmaker
 
Slingin Sammy 33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 4,317
Re: Good for Campbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
There's film evidence of Campbell misreading the coverage, missing open receivers, and not giving plays a chance to develop. There's just as much, if not more, film evidence of him doing a good job in the presnap phase, making fast reads, getting to third and fourth receivers, and making great throw under pressure (he's a top ten quarterback, statistically, under pressure).
I would argue against this point. He consistently misread pre-snap coverages and when the first option was covered went straight to his checkdown ignoring the second/third reads. Nor did he "make a bunch of great throws under pressure". What was more prevalent on film was Campbell making decent throws if his first read was open or using his size and stregth to avoid a rush and make a dump-off play for solid yardage. Under pressure he often misfired, missed secondary options, or forced a pass into double/triple coverage or a bad spot in a zone.....actually he did this with no pressure too.

Quote:
Campbell had almost 550 plays last year. He missed a wide open receiver maybe 8-9 times. He might have passed on a tough but makable throw two or three times as often.

If of 550 plays in the season, there are 180 bad plays made by the quarterback (sacks, avoidable incompletions, interceptions), and 20-30 of them are because the quarterback got confused and missed his read or held the ball too long, and cost the team some points and perhaps half a win to a win, well, there's room for improvement. But by NFL standards, there's not a problem.
Are you saying that JC only made 2 or less bad plays (mis-reads of coverage, blitz protection, audibles, bad progressions, bad throws) and that his play was responsible for no more than one loss last year or am I misreading what you said?

Quote:
A good analyst focuses on the 150 plays that went bad with Campbell doing his job at least respectably. Doesn't make the other 30 excusable mistakes, but if you fix 8 mistakes by changing the QB to someone better, and now have 170 bad passing plays in a season, well, what have you really done?
A good analyst doesn't focus primarily on stats but looks at them in context. A good analyst also focuses on the game situation and evaluates a player's performance based on plays that are made/not made when all other positions do their job. If the OL gives up a sack it's not on the QB, WR drops a ball not on the QB, QB makes a piss-poor read and throws into double coverage and gets lucky the DB dropped the ball...very bad play the QB, not just an INCP. QB misreads coverage and launches a ball down the sideline for an INT, but missed a wide open WR as a second progression that would've been a 20 yd+ play....terrible play by the QB.

Please tell me you aren't suggesting the difference between a top tier QB and Campbell is 8 plays a season. Campbell was in the top ten in Comp % last year, take a look at the other guys above him and the next five below him. Tell me what you notice about his stat line vs. those other guys.....it's glaring and considered the most important stat for a QB.

JC was second in the league in YAC at 54.3% behind only Stafford for guys throwing for over 1000 yards. This is not a good stat, your top tier QBs are generally in the 44-46% YAC range. This indicates what we all see on film....JC got a lot of yardage from dump-offs and screens. No one is nominating Zorn for the HoF for coaching, but he scaled his offense to what Campbell could do....and it wasn't an effective mid-deep passing game. I don't have the exact stat, but if I remember correctly JC was also top or close to tops in the NFL in passes thrown within 10 yds of the LoS.

If JC was anything other than a lower level starter or solid backup, why did we only get a 4th rounder in 2012 for him....from the Raiders, who were basically QB-less. Conversely we gave up a high 2nd and 3rd/4th in 2011 for McNabb on what could turn out to be (worst case) a one year rental and McNabb is what, six years older than JC.


Quick link on the Raiders/Cowboys game....the parts about JC are same-old, same-old.

The Canadian Press: Raiders first-team offence under QB Jason Campbell struggles in exhibition opener


All that being said, Campbell is certainly no "bum" as some have suggested. Ryan Leaf is a bum, JaMarshmellow is a bum. Campbell is a good teammate and a high character guy. His QB performance/progression last year left something to be desired, but he's no bum.
__________________
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline  
Old 08-14-2010, 08:49 AM   #113
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,584
Re: Good for Campbell

So let's see in the past 9 months we've added a Super Bowl winning GM, a Super Bowl winning HC, a franchise QB, and a stud LT (among other things), and we just won our preseason opener 42-17...yet we still want to keep harping on Jason Campbell (and Campbell vs. Todd Collins-neither of whom are here anymore-from 2007)?

Raise your hand if you want this thread locked and put out of its misery
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline  
Old 08-14-2010, 09:20 AM   #114
Pro Bowl
 
Beemnseven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Virginia Beach
Age: 40
Posts: 5,293
Re: Good for Campbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
Quick link on the Raiders/Cowboys game....the parts about JC are same-old, same-old.

The Canadian Press: Raiders first-team offence under QB Jason Campbell struggles in exhibition opener
From that article:

Quote:
"Campbell was 7 for 13 for 49 yards in his first game with the Raiders, with most of his completions coming on short passes underneath."
Hate to beat the dead horse, but yeah, same old, same old.
Beemnseven is offline  
Old 08-14-2010, 09:47 AM   #115
Registered User
 
Pocket$ $traight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Fairfax, VA
Age: 38
Posts: 4,261
Re: Good for Campbell

At this point, being a Campbell apologist is about as relevant as being a typewriter repairman.

He had every chance in the world to prove himself here and the bottom line is that he never got it done. He just does not have the consistent decision making ability that the above average to great quarterbacks have. Jason Campbell has all the physcal tools and is a quality guy but he is a big reason why this franchise has been hamstrung for years.
Pocket$ $traight is offline  
Old 08-14-2010, 09:59 AM   #116
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,456
Re: Good for Campbell

Here I am still in my PJ's and I'm stunned -- stunned I tellya-- that a Jason Campbell thread is commanding so much attention at this point!

The irony in my observations, of course, is that I'm just as guilty by adding my 2 cents.
12thMan is offline  
Old 08-14-2010, 10:11 AM   #117
Playmaker
 
Slingin Sammy 33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 4,317
Re: Good for Campbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
Here I am still in my PJ's and I'm stunned -- stunned I tellya-- that a Jason Campbell thread is commanding so much attention at this point!

The irony in my observations, of course, is that I'm just as guilty by adding my 2 cents.
It's 10am, what the heck are you doing in your PJs? I've been up since 7:15.....ooops I forgot after being married for 10 years there's these things called bars/parties and such that you young cats do on Fri. night
__________________
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline  
Old 08-14-2010, 02:59 PM   #118
The Starter
 
dgack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: The ATX (formerly Balmer)
Posts: 1,125
Re: Good for Campbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Nobody reveres him or thinks he's a star. He's a middle of the road QB. He's no Manning or Brady, but he's certainly not garbage or a bum.
QFMFT. It's so tiring trying to defend this position which should be fairly obvious now. The argument that anyone who doesn't think Campbell is a pox on the NFL must instead believe he's a star in the making is such a straw man and bothering to try and explain why it's so ridiculous reminds one of a saying about arguing on the internet and the Special Olympics.
__________________
"To bring a Sherm Lewis in to a Jim Zorn and whoever his offensive coordinator is, it's like bringing in another man to help teach you how to make better love to your wife or something." -- Tre Johnson
dgack is offline  
Old 08-14-2010, 03:09 PM   #119
The Starter
 
dgack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: The ATX (formerly Balmer)
Posts: 1,125
Re: Good for Campbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
So let's see in the past 9 months we've added a Super Bowl winning GM, a Super Bowl winning HC, a franchise QB, and a stud LT (among other things), and we just won our preseason opener 42-17...yet we still want to keep harping on Jason Campbell (and Campbell vs. Todd Collins-neither of whom are here anymore-from 2007)?

Raise your hand if you want this thread locked and put out of its misery
I'd like to add that Grossman (who most people were saying, stick a fork in us if he ever takes the field) was the one lighting it up last night. Not that it really means anything, preseason being preseason and all, but let's be clear on what last night's "win" really means.

FWIW, considering the wonderful personality that Mrs. Grossman possesses, I think it would be great if Rex got more PT. You know, more crowd reaction shots and what not. Sure as hell beats the crowd shot of Donovan's mom.

(Of course JC17 isn't doing bad in that department either, maybe if we had gotten more of these kinds of images last year the 'Path would be more favorably disposed to him??)
__________________
"To bring a Sherm Lewis in to a Jim Zorn and whoever his offensive coordinator is, it's like bringing in another man to help teach you how to make better love to your wife or something." -- Tre Johnson
dgack is offline  
Old 08-14-2010, 06:19 PM   #120
Registered User
 
Pocket$ $traight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Fairfax, VA
Age: 38
Posts: 4,261
Re: Good for Campbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Regardless of what Collins was actually changing at the line in his few plays this season, is there any reason to believe the protection was actually better when he was in? I mean, Collins looked great when he was in and his first read on a play came open -- he was accurate and could stick it in there -- but seemed to me that things broke down for sir scrappy just as quickly as they did for Campbell, and usually with more disastrous results.

If the point is Collins seemed to the untrained eye to be more in charge before the snap than the starter, well, great. I don't care.

Campbell never had a 4 game streak like Collins and we never would have had that 4 game streak with Campbell.

But thankfully, it doesn't matter. He is gone and we have a leader behind center, finally.
Pocket$ $traight is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.38289 seconds with 10 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25