Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Antonio Bryant cut

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2010, 12:10 AM   #61
Registered User
 
SBXVII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,766
Re: Antonio Bryant cut

I'd still say bring him in. He's relatively cheap since we don't have to give up a draft pick, if there is no structural damage to his knee (which I'm hearing) then he will be healthy and able to participate soon as opposed to Kelly who has had 2 1/2 yrs of bench warming.

What did I mean about the Skins situation with Kelly being similar to Cinci's situation with Bryant? It's not that hard to figure out..... Kelly was a 2nd round draft pick which means he was signed to a decent contract and we have paid over a 2 yr period for one games worth of playing.

and... I was wrong about KS and Bryant being together in Tampa. KS was there in 04/05, while Bryant was there in 08
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-30-2010, 09:53 AM   #62
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 82,328
Re: Antonio Bryant cut

This doesn't sound too good:

One NFL medical person -- don't want to be too specific -- told me Sunday that the injury that is apparently plaguing fired Cincinnati wideout Antonio Bryant could be Chondral Defect of the knee. "If you're not looking for it, you won't find it,'' this official said. "It's a long-term knee problem that won't go away.'' The ailment refers to a complicated cartilage injury to the knee. Whether that's the exact injury plaguing Bryant or not, it's incredible that a team investigating a free-agent wide receiver who missed most of 2009 with a knee problem would have passed him on the physical this year, handed him a four-year, $28 million contract, and then watched as he practiced one time all summer in training camp before cutting him Sunday.

I'm stunned the Bengals passed Bryant on his physical, then handed him $7.85 million in guarantees. Stunned. Whether the Bengals have good players in reserve at wide receiver -- they do -- is not the point. Wasting millions on a player clearly not ready to play is.

In the past two years, the Bengals have signed two veteran receivers to deals averaging $7 million a year. Laveranues Coles gave them a year. Antonio Bryant didn't make it out of his first August with the team. Good thing they've got the draft, because Jermaine Gresham (first round) should be an impact tight end for them and Jordan Shipley (third round) is set to be a solid slot guy. And they got Terrell Owens cheap. He'll probably start alongside Chad Ochocinco. I just can't figure out why they blew it two years in a row on receivers no other teams were very interested in.



Read more: Peyton Manning, Indianapolis Colts worry new NFL*rule will slow down hurry-up offense - Peter King - SI.com
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:57 AM   #63
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,791
Re: Antonio Bryant cut

Bryant got $8 million for basically participating in one practice...and now his agent is going to ask the Bengals for more money

Bengals release receiver Antonio Bryant | cincinnati.com | Cincinnati.Com
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 11:29 AM   #64
Franchise Player
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 9,961
Re: Antonio Bryant cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
This doesn't sound too good:

One NFL medical person -- don't want to be too specific -- told me Sunday that the injury that is apparently plaguing fired Cincinnati wideout Antonio Bryant could be Chondral Defect of the knee. "If you're not looking for it, you won't find it,'' this official said. "It's a long-term knee problem that won't go away.'' The ailment refers to a complicated cartilage injury to the knee. Whether that's the exact injury plaguing Bryant or not, it's incredible that a team investigating a free-agent wide receiver who missed most of 2009 with a knee problem would have passed him on the physical this year, handed him a four-year, $28 million contract, and then watched as he practiced one time all summer in training camp before cutting him Sunday.

I'm stunned the Bengals passed Bryant on his physical, then handed him $7.85 million in guarantees. Stunned. Whether the Bengals have good players in reserve at wide receiver -- they do -- is not the point. Wasting millions on a player clearly not ready to play is.

In the past two years, the Bengals have signed two veteran receivers to deals averaging $7 million a year. Laveranues Coles gave them a year. Antonio Bryant didn't make it out of his first August with the team. Good thing they've got the draft, because Jermaine Gresham (first round) should be an impact tight end for them and Jordan Shipley (third round) is set to be a solid slot guy. And they got Terrell Owens cheap. He'll probably start alongside Chad Ochocinco. I just can't figure out why they blew it two years in a row on receivers no other teams were very interested in.



Read more: Peyton Manning, Indianapolis Colts worry new NFL*rule will slow down hurry-up offense - Peter King - SI.com
Not only that but they never in a billion trillion years should have let him practice. If they had any doubts at all about his knee then they had to hold him out. Because they let him practice they punted the chance to PUP him. Maybe the worst health related decision ever. Their doctors ought to be canned for letting it happen. Along with anyone else who should have known better.

Plus they're going to have to pay him his salary. No way around it...they owe him his salary per the CBA.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:20 AM   #65
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 82,328
Re: Antonio Bryant cut

Rumors swirl that Antonio Bryant could be done | ProFootballTalk.com
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:26 AM   #66
The Starter
 
MonkFan4Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Age: 37
Posts: 1,840
Re: Antonio Bryant cut

You know I wouldn't mind bringing him in as long as its for .................................................. ..........

THE VET MINIMUM !!!!!

I can't believe it hasn't been said it yet
__________________
Catch me on YouTube !

http://www.youtube.com/user/DowntimeRB?feature=mhw5

The "punishment" by the league : "It's like getting a ticket for going too fast on a road a week ago and they changed the speed limit today"
MonkFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:39 AM   #67
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,607
Re: Antonio Bryant cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
This doesn't sound too good:

One NFL medical person -- don't want to be too specific -- told me Sunday that the injury that is apparently plaguing fired Cincinnati wideout Antonio Bryant could be Chondral Defect of the knee. "If you're not looking for it, you won't find it,'' this official said. "It's a long-term knee problem that won't go away.'' The ailment refers to a complicated cartilage injury to the knee. Whether that's the exact injury plaguing Bryant or not, it's incredible that a team investigating a free-agent wide receiver who missed most of 2009 with a knee problem would have passed him on the physical this year, handed him a four-year, $28 million contract, and then watched as he practiced one time all summer in training camp before cutting him Sunday.

I'm stunned the Bengals passed Bryant on his physical, then handed him $7.85 million in guarantees. Stunned. Whether the Bengals have good players in reserve at wide receiver -- they do -- is not the point. Wasting millions on a player clearly not ready to play is.

In the past two years, the Bengals have signed two veteran receivers to deals averaging $7 million a year. Laveranues Coles gave them a year. Antonio Bryant didn't make it out of his first August with the team. Good thing they've got the draft, because Jermaine Gresham (first round) should be an impact tight end for them and Jordan Shipley (third round) is set to be a solid slot guy. And they got Terrell Owens cheap. He'll probably start alongside Chad Ochocinco. I just can't figure out why they blew it two years in a row on receivers no other teams were very interested in.



Read more: Peyton Manning, Indianapolis Colts worry new NFL*rule will slow down hurry-up offense - Peter King - SI.com
Why doesn't Mike Borwn just hire GM??? Why give a guy that kind of money when they know he can't make it on the field? Don't they ever do their homework? Coles was washed up but at least he got on the field. They should just stick to drafting guys cause they seem to do well in that area.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:41 AM   #68
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,607
Re: Antonio Bryant cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Bryant got $8 million for basically participating in one practice...and now his agent is going to ask the Bengals for more money

Bengals release receiver Antonio Bryant | cincinnati.com | Cincinnati.Com
If he's legally entitled to the cash then he should go after it. Doesn't matter if he couldn't get on the field.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:50 AM   #69
Registered User
 
SBXVII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,766
Re: Antonio Bryant cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkFan4Life View Post
You know I wouldn't mind bringing him in as long as its for .................................................. ..........

THE VET MINIMUM !!!!!

I can't believe it hasn't been said it yet
Well there is two problems with that thought process....

1- Bryant is due like 8 mill from the Bengals and if he signs with another team it releases them from the 8 mill responsibility... or so I've heard/read. So why take vet min. when you could receive 8 mill for all of 2010?

2- I've mentioned bringing him in because he would be better talent then Kelly and Bryant from what I've heard is almost back to 100%, but I was politely informed that he has issues (possibly mental) and doesn't play well with others..... and I guess now his knees are bad... I guess. So I really don't know what to believe about his knees, but he has had personality issues. Oh and a drug issue cause he failed a drug test. But anyone who throws a punch at the Tuna is alright by me..... even though I sorta like the tuna. lol.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:54 AM   #70
The Starter
 
MonkFan4Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Age: 37
Posts: 1,840
Re: Antonio Bryant cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
Well there is two problems with that thought process....

1- Bryant is due like 8 mill from the Bengals and if he signs with another team it releases them from the 8 mill responsibility... or so I've heard/read. So why take vet min. when you could receive 8 mill for all of 2010?

2- I've mentioned bringing him in because he would be better talent then Kelly and Bryant from what I've heard is almost back to 100%, but I was politely informed that he has issues (possibly mental) and doesn't play well with others..... and I guess now his knees are bad... I guess. So I really don't know what to believe about his knees, but he has had personality issues. Oh and a drug issue cause he failed a drug test. But anyone who throws a punch at the Tuna is alright by me..... even though I sorta like the tuna. lol.
Okay 1. I wasn't serious.

2. I wasn't serious.

and finally 3. I wasn't serious.

Vet minimum used to be the go to response anytime a player was mentioned. Just tried to have a little fun while getting my work day started.
__________________
Catch me on YouTube !

http://www.youtube.com/user/DowntimeRB?feature=mhw5

The "punishment" by the league : "It's like getting a ticket for going too fast on a road a week ago and they changed the speed limit today"
MonkFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:11 AM   #71
Registered User
 
SBXVII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,766
Re: Antonio Bryant cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkFan4Life View Post
Okay 1. I wasn't serious.

2. I wasn't serious.

and finally 3. I wasn't serious.

Vet minimum used to be the go to response anytime a player was mentioned. Just tried to have a little fun while getting my work day started.
Got it. Got it. Got it. Thanx.

It really doesn't matter.... it sounds like Bryant is washed up. I just hope the Skins handle Kelly right.... either an injury settlement or PUP list. I'd prefer to cut him with the injury settlement but they could easily put him on the PUP list and see if he is healthy in 6 weeks and ready to play and cut him then if he's not.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:27 AM   #72
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 82,328
Re: Antonio Bryant cut

Kelly is not eligible for the PUP list. At this point it's IR or cut time.

Physically Unable to Perform - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A player is not allowed to be placed on the PUP list if they start training camp on the active roster, even if they take part in only the first few minutes of the first practice.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:28 AM   #73
The Starter
 
MonkFan4Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Age: 37
Posts: 1,840
Re: Antonio Bryant cut

Your response almost had me crying over here. Very clever ! As far as Bryant, if thise knee issue is as bad as it is then like many have said he could be done. As far as Kelly goes, there is a thread drdicated to it but I agree with you. I'd say to keep him and see what happens but the only thing is how long are they willing to wait ? I think for a while because Kyle spoke so highly of him during the offseason. Back to Bryant,... if he can get his knee straight then take a look. I like what we have at receiver for now though.
__________________
Catch me on YouTube !

http://www.youtube.com/user/DowntimeRB?feature=mhw5

The "punishment" by the league : "It's like getting a ticket for going too fast on a road a week ago and they changed the speed limit today"
MonkFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:34 AM   #74
Living Legend
 
Ruhskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 16,184
Re: Antonio Bryant cut

People need to get over Bryant or Vincent Jackson at this point. I know we don't have a stud WR, but none of these guys are going to make us any better.

Bryant's knee was bad enough that the Bengals decided to cut their loses and give up $8 mil in cutting him.

Jackson has not seen any football action in a while, has not been to training camp, and will likely cost a lot for any team to trade for him (since SD holds all the cards on that bargain). Plus on top of that he has a suspension for a couple of games pending, and will likely want a big contract.

Let's just stick with what we have, instead of paying money or draft picks for another blunder.
__________________
R.I.P. #21

New words created on The Warpath:
Rewalsr - Somretimes - Fualt - Jersesy - Itiot - Composetory
Afeard - Storgn - Empliment - Gaissn - Saftys - Minnisota
Faviort - Hatter - Phsyched - Foof - Heloing - Brutual
Stroried

"Give an opinion and move on. Your life doesn't depend on winning the internet." -FRPLG
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:37 AM   #75
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 82,328
Re: Antonio Bryant cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
People need to get over Bryant or Vincent Jackson at this point. I know we don't have a stud WR, but none of these guys are going to make us any better.

Bryant's knee was bad enough that the Bengals decided to cut their loses and give up $8 mil in cutting him.

Jackson has not seen any football action in a while, has not been to training camp, and will likely cost a lot for any team to trade for him (since SD holds all the cards on that bargain). Plus on top of that he has a suspension for a couple of games pending, and will likely want a big contract.

Let's just stick with what we have, instead of paying money or draft picks for another blunder.
Agreed. I think we'll be solid enough at WR, and our two exceptional TE's will give us more than enough targets.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.34609 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25