Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Redskins Uniforms

Redskins Locker Room


View Poll Results: Fashion police: the "new" gold pants...
Stay 157 86.26%
Go 25 13.74%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2012, 01:02 PM   #301
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 11,030
Re: Redskins Uniforms

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
No love for Washington Sweet Potatoes? Washington Cheesy Potatoes sounds better actually.
I prefer Washington Skank-Hos, with a logo which looks like a vagina.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 07-03-2012, 01:02 PM   #302
Playmaker
 
irish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,732
Re: Redskins Uniforms

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
No love for Washington Sweet Potatoes? Washington Cheesy Potatoes sounds better actually.
The logo would be a redskin potato, they are in every grocery store. Just because this hasnt gone anywhere in court now doesnt mean it wont in the future. I agree with a previous post that the real spark for change will come when the owner/nfl realize they can make a ton of $ changing the name/logo and selling a bunch of junk to people.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 01:08 PM   #303
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 83,553
Re: Redskins Uniforms

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
The logo would be a redskin potato, they are in every grocery store. Just because this hasnt gone anywhere in court now doesnt mean it wont in the future. I agree with a previous post that the real spark for change will come when the owner/nfl realize they can make a ton of $ changing the name/logo and selling a bunch of junk to people.
If it hasn't gone anywhere by now, it's simply not going to happen


Quote:
The name became the registered trademark of the team in 1967. The seven native Americans didn't file their lawsuit until 1992 25 years later.

Trademarks can be challenged on grounds that they disparage someone. But the football team argued that disparagement must be determined at the time the trademark is registered.

Lawyers for the native Americans say the name was disparaging and offensive in 1967 and that the trademark should never have been issued. They argued that the law permits them to bring a disparagement lawsuit at any time.

An appeals board at the US trademark office agreed with the native Americans that the term "redskins" is today and has historically been a disparaging racial epithet. But that decision was overturned by a federal judge and the Washington-based appeals court in subsequent rulings that the group had waited too long to bring its challenge.

Washington Redskins can keep team name; Supreme Court refuses native Americans' suit - CSMonitor.com
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 01:11 PM   #304
Playmaker
 
HailGreen28's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,898
Re: Redskins Uniforms

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
Its only a matter of time before the redskins change their name or their logo.
A name change isn't happening unless the team moves. A logo change sure, we've had changes before.
HailGreen28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 01:21 PM   #305
MVP
 
mooby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NoVa
Age: 26
Posts: 12,110
Re: Redskins Uniforms

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
The logo would be a redskin potato, they are in every grocery store. Just because this hasnt gone anywhere in court now doesnt mean it wont in the future. I agree with a previous post that the real spark for change will come when the owner/nfl realize they can make a ton of $ changing the name/logo and selling a bunch of junk to people.
Idk, other potatoes might find the redskin potato image to be offensive, and then we're right back where we started.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 01:33 PM   #306
Registered User
 
SBXVII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,766
Re: Redskins Uniforms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Without legit legal pressure it's simply not happening. 20 years have gone by and this movement has gone nowhere in court. The Supreme Court refused to even hear the case in 2009.
I think people in society are bored or have nothing better to do then find some insignificant issue to take on to argue. We see it everywhere. But maybe the team should find a way to incorporate the Indians whom would like the name to be changed and each year have an awarness day where they are brought in and can give a halftime show, let them sell their items and let them enjoy a game. Maybe finding a way to change the stigma of the term "Redskin" from a negative stigma to a positive stigma might help go a long way vs. ignoring them and having to go to court every few yrs and fighting to keep the name.

But ... IF the team had to change the name I'd change the colors to to Red, White, and Blue colors. If you can't have the name might as well call it an end to an era.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 01:38 PM   #307
Registered User
 
SBXVII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,766
Re: Redskins Uniforms

AND.... when I say awareness day I'm refering to the Indian plight, not bringing in the very Indians whom would like to have the name changed and would picket or put on a show about changing the name.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:00 PM   #308
Playmaker
 
irish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,732
Re: Redskins Uniforms

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
I think people in society are bored or have nothing better to do then find some insignificant issue to take on to argue. We see it everywhere. But maybe the team should find a way to incorporate the Indians whom would like the name to be changed and each year have an awarness day where they are brought in and can give a halftime show, let them sell their items and let them enjoy a game. Maybe finding a way to change the stigma of the term "Redskin" from a negative stigma to a positive stigma might help go a long way vs. ignoring them and having to go to court every few yrs and fighting to keep the name.

But ... IF the team had to change the name I'd change the colors to to Red, White, and Blue colors. If you can't have the name might as well call it an end to an era.
I'm not advocating for or against a change because I dont care but there will be a change at some point. Courts change, times change and change comes.

I find it interesting that you recommend having an awareness day as an attempt to change the negative stigma of the word redskin. It seems to me that would be the last thing the Skins would want to do because by doing that they would essentially be admitting the word redskin is offensive.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:01 PM   #309
MVP
 
mooby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NoVa
Age: 26
Posts: 12,110
Re: Redskins Uniforms

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
I think people in society are bored or have nothing better to do then find some insignificant issue to take on to argue. We see it everywhere. But maybe the team should find a way to incorporate the Indians whom would like the name to be changed and each year have an awarness day where they are brought in and can give a halftime show, let them sell their items and let them enjoy a game. Maybe finding a way to change the stigma of the term "Redskin" from a negative stigma to a positive stigma might help go a long way vs. ignoring them and having to go to court every few yrs and fighting to keep the name.

But ... IF the team had to change the name I'd change the colors to to Red, White, and Blue colors. If you can't have the name might as well call it an end to an era.
Lol, some might find that more offensive than the Redskin name to begin with. "Here, you guys can have ten minutes to have an Indian pride rally on the field, enjoy! Sell some blankets and whatnot! Sorry that half the fans are waiting in line at concession stands"

I know what I wrote is a stretch, but come on. Snyder would never do anything like that, probably because the name issue isn't a huge concern.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:09 PM   #310
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 83,553
Re: Redskins Uniforms

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
Lol, some might find that more offensive than the Redskin name to begin with. "Here, you guys can have ten minutes to have an Indian pride rally on the field, enjoy! Sell some blankets and whatnot! Sorry that half the fans are waiting in line at concession stands"

I know what I wrote is a stretch, but come on. Snyder would never do anything like that, probably because the name issue isn't a huge concern.
Seriously

__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:11 PM   #311
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 11,030
Re: Redskins Uniforms

If we became the Skank-Hos we could have a truly memorable "Pride Day."
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:20 PM   #312
MVP
 
mooby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NoVa
Age: 26
Posts: 12,110
Re: Redskins Uniforms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
If we became the Skank-Hos we could have a truly memorable "Pride Day."
True but I'd imagine skank-ho's would find a team called the Skank-Ho's offensive. In fact, we might be screwed simply because there's probably some people, somewhere, that might find every possible team name offensive. We might just end up being the Washington ___________'s.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:30 PM   #313
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 11,030
Re: Redskins Uniforms

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
True but I'd imagine skank-ho's would find a team called the Skank-Ho's offensive. In fact, we might be screwed simply because there's probably some people, somewhere, that might find every possible team name offensive. We might just end up being the Washington ___________'s.
You're right, the American Skank-ho Association and International Conference of Skank-hos would howl in derision.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:54 PM   #314
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,275
Re: Redskins Uniforms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
You're right, the American Skank-ho Association and International Conference of Skank-hos would howl in derision.

You're right, NOW would be protesting us for sure.



If by some idiotic miracle, some white lib lawyers who are "offended" win a court case to be our identity, I'd be all for "changing" the identity to the Redskins of the potato variety so we can keep using the name...just to screw with them and show them how ridiculous they are.

I bet most of our fanbase who would be enraged by the bad court decision will fully support keeping the name and making a mockery out of the whiners.

Study after study has shown most Native Americans are either honored or just don't care if we use our name. Most offended are not even real Indians, just PC lawyers looking for a name so they're fishing for issues to be "offended" by.
__________________
Not sent from a Droid, iPhone, Blackberry or toaster
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 03:46 PM   #315
Pro Bowl
 
skinsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina
Posts: 6,666
Re: Redskins Uniforms

We bring this up every off-season. The name change isn't happening anytime soon.
__________________
"Fire Up That Diesel!"
skinsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.30723 seconds with 10 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25