Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Armstrong bad choice?

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2010, 03:37 PM   #1
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Armstrong bad choice?

What was with all the love for this guy, then he dropped a TD that he really needed to catch?
Granted, first game, but I watched some routes and I was not all impressed. Anyone else care to shed some light on this guy?
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-14-2010, 03:42 PM   #2
Special Teams
 
SCRedskinsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 396
Re: Armstrong bad choice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
What was with all the love for this guy, then he dropped a TD that he really needed to catch?
Granted, first game, but I watched some routes and I was not all impressed. Anyone else care to shed some light on this guy?
Pretty quick hook, jsarno. A little patience will (hopefully) go a long way here!

Although AA could (maybe should) have caught the first ball, the second was well defended. One missed catch should not make him a bust.
SCRedskinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 03:49 PM   #3
Living Legend
 
Ruhskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 16,022
Re: Armstrong bad choice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
What was with all the love for this guy, then he dropped a TD that he really needed to catch?
Granted, first game, but I watched some routes and I was not all impressed. Anyone else care to shed some light on this guy?
As I stated before, maybe 5'11" WRs shouldn't be thrown endzone fade passes designed for tall wideouts. I know that he screwed up that first pass, but still I felt a taller wideout should've been in the receiving end of that pass (well, actually we should've run the ball at least once.

Plus this guy needs to develop rhythm with DMc (and vice versa).
__________________
R.I.P. #21

New words created on The Warpath:
Rewalsr - Somretimes - Fualt - Jersesy - Itiot - Composetory
Afeard - Storgn - Empliment - Gaissn - Saftys - Minnisota
Faviort - Hatter - Phsyched - Foof - Heloing - Brutual
Stroried

"Give an opinion and move on. Your life doesn't depend on winning the internet." -FRPLG
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 03:49 PM   #4
Franchise Player
 
ArtMonkDrillz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Age: 31
Posts: 7,983
Re: Armstrong bad choice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRedskinsFan View Post
Pretty quick hook, jsarno. A little patience will (hopefully) go a long way here!

Although AA could (maybe should) have caught the first ball, the second was well defended. One missed catch should not make him a bust.
Agreed. In fact, after seeing more replays I think that if AA were a more well known and respected/accomplished WR the ref would have probably called pass interference. It looked to me like Jenkins was draped completely over his back before the ball got there.
__________________
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." The Dude
ArtMonkDrillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 03:50 PM   #5
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Armstrong bad choice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRedskinsFan View Post
Pretty quick hook, jsarno. A little patience will (hopefully) go a long way here!

Although AA could (maybe should) have caught the first ball, the second was well defended. One missed catch should not make him a bust.
As I pointed out, I watched some routes that didn't impress me...also, I did not once say cut him, or bench him.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 03:51 PM   #6
Franchise Player
 
mredskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,691
Re: Armstrong bad choice?

Wow I guess the other 25 WR threads must be lock down, odd!
__________________
When life gives you paper jams, turn them into paper footballs!
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 04:03 PM   #7
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,793
Re: Armstrong bad choice?

Gotta love the patience of fans.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 04:33 PM   #8
Playmaker
 
over the mountain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: baltimore
Posts: 3,320
Re: Armstrong bad choice?

well, im with jsarno on this to a degree. i mean, having galloway and armstrong higher in the depth chart than devin thomas? (yes i read all about thomas' inability topick up playbook since we drafted him)

im watching the game on tv so i dont know who was open and who wasnt (man i wish we had access to the coach film showing the whole field) but it seemed only moss or cooley was getting open.

not to piss off ace, but reciever is a concern imo. i mean, is thomas really that bad that 38 year old galloway with what 10 catches last year and a 26 year old rookie beat him out? i guess so, the coaches know but dang if it aint a head scratcher. at the very least its a kick in the nuts that we had 3 2nd round picks 3 years ago and am going to walk away with a servicable TE and maybe a returner.

imo armstrong needs to get open sunday for a nice big gain and galloway needs to catch some short-mid range 1st down catches for both to stay in the receiver rotation. otherwise, we gotta hope thomas replaces them and starts to click.

if armstrong, galloway and thomas all maintain status qou, it could be a long season passing attack wise.
over the mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 04:59 PM   #9
Living Legend
 
skinsfaninok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Oklahoma City (Originally from Biloxi, Ms)
Age: 27
Posts: 16,104
Re: Armstrong bad choice?

AA is what he is , a journeyman who just played in the arena league.. What did u expect?
__________________
THUNDER UP

"if you're good at something, never do it for free"- The Joker

skinsfaninok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 05:03 PM   #10
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: Armstrong bad choice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
As I stated before, maybe 5'11" WRs shouldn't be thrown endzone fade passes designed for tall wideouts. I know that he screwed up that first pass, but still I felt a taller wideout should've been in the receiving end of that pass (well, actually we should've run the ball at least once.

Plus this guy needs to develop rhythm with DMc (and vice versa).
That pass went right through his hands and maybe if he was taller it would have bounced right off his head. LOL
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 05:08 PM   #11
Pro Bowl
 
SirClintonPortis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,052
Re: Armstrong bad choice?

He's a Cowboy fan. Can't help his subconcious. He'll have 500+ yards and three touchdowns this season. Bank on it.
__________________
Analysis using datasets (aka stats) is an attempt at reverse-engineering a player's "goodness".

Virtuosity remembered, douchebaggery forgotten.

The ideal character profile shoved down modern Western men and women's throats is Don Juan.
SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 05:11 PM   #12
Special Teams
 
TIFOSOdeiREDSKINS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 137
Re: Armstrong bad choice?

we have 2 awesome TEs and sunday night i only saw the offense take advantage of 1 of them. why? considering WR is a weakness, we should be exploiting our strength at TE.
TIFOSOdeiREDSKINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 05:27 PM   #13
Impact Rookie
 
BaltimoreSkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Reisterstown, MD
Posts: 919
Re: Armstrong bad choice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIFOSOdeiREDSKINS View Post
we have 2 awesome TEs and sunday night i only saw the offense take advantage of 1 of them. why? considering WR is a weakness, we should be exploiting our strength at TE.
Also, the series in question, we should've gone back to the run to try to eat some clock, but KS must've seen something he liked after that first toss cause he went right back to it.
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 05:29 PM   #14
Pro Bowl
 
SirClintonPortis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,052
Re: Armstrong bad choice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
well, im with jsarno on this to a degree. i mean, having galloway and armstrong higher in the depth chart than devin thomas? (yes i read all about thomas' inability topick up playbook since we drafted him)

im watching the game on tv so i dont know who was open and who wasnt (man i wish we had access to the coach film showing the whole field) but it seemed only moss or cooley was getting open.

not to piss off ace, but reciever is a concern imo. i mean, is thomas really that bad that 38 year old galloway with what 10 catches last year and a 26 year old rookie beat him out? i guess so, the coaches know but dang if it aint a head scratcher. at the very least its a kick in the nuts that we had 3 2nd round picks 3 years ago and am going to walk away with a servicable TE and maybe a returner.

imo armstrong needs to get open sunday for a nice big gain and galloway needs to catch some short-mid range 1st down catches for both to stay in the receiver rotation. otherwise, we gotta hope thomas replaces them and starts to click.

if armstrong, galloway and thomas all maintain status qou, it could be a long season passing attack wise.
Thomas can't do what all the above average and great ones can. Run good routes, which in turn keeps corners on edge. When he can do those things, that's when he can crack the lineup. Otherwise, he's just like all the other athletic big WRs who bust out of the league for one reason or another.
__________________
Analysis using datasets (aka stats) is an attempt at reverse-engineering a player's "goodness".

Virtuosity remembered, douchebaggery forgotten.

The ideal character profile shoved down modern Western men and women's throats is Don Juan.
SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:06 PM   #15
Registered User
 
GusFrerotte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Detroit area
Posts: 4,153
Re: Armstrong bad choice?

I will give Armstrong til game 3 to see if he can proudce, but I am with Jay on this in that we might be just delusional about what this guy can bring to the table. The second fade into the endzone was just good coverage, but the first one should have been caught, plus the other catch he missed should have been grabbed also. By the end of game 3 any jitters should be gone and he should have at least 6-8 grabs I would imagine. Either way, I see no way in which we don't draft a top WR in the 2011 draft. We need more targets than Moss and Cooley. Sellers should not be thrown to at all.
GusFrerotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.27915 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25