Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Offensive line shakeup

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2010, 04:40 PM   #31
Gamebreaker
 
tryfuhl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Waldorf, MD
Age: 31
Posts: 12,514
Re: Offensive line shakeup

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Last time I check a 5 yrd pass was just as good as a 5 yrd run. It does help wear down the other team but other then that who cares.
you're not going to be able to pass all over every team

you probably want your back getting hit after 5 yards every play than your WR
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-22-2010, 04:40 PM   #32
Playmaker
 
SouperMeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Leesburg, VA
Age: 50
Posts: 3,143
Re: Offensive line shakeup

I never thought that drafting Trent Williams would undo years of neglect on the O-line. We probably need another draft or two to stabilize the bleeding.
SouperMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 04:41 PM   #33
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 83,420
Re: Offensive line shakeup

I feel like the running game is the new WR concern, which quickly vanished after last week.

We'll get the running game cranking soon enough.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 04:50 PM   #34
Gamebreaker
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 37
Posts: 12,573
Re: Offensive line shakeup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
I feel like the running game is the new WR concern, which quickly vanished after last week.

We'll get the running game cranking soon enough.
WR is most def on the wish list. I think the difference was McNabb was making everyone look good. Plus cant remember if any drops...maybe Moss had one early?? Galloways weren t really drops, he just couldnt make the play...Sellers caught his and Armstrong bobbled to hang on his his over the middle.

I think we can say both RB and WR are needs, but with a new regime coming in turnover is expected, what is unexpected is the fact the past regime left us with such garbage.
__________________
Boycott Rolling Stone Magazine
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 05:03 PM   #35
Playmaker
 
artmonkforhallofamein07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Charleston , SC
Posts: 4,718
Re: Offensive line shakeup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
WR is most def on the wish list. I think the difference was McNabb was making everyone look good. Plus cant remember if any drops...maybe Moss had one early?? Galloways weren t really drops, he just couldnt make the play...Sellers caught his and Armstrong bobbled to hang on his his over the middle.

I think we can say both RB and WR are needs, but with a new regime coming in turnover is expected, what is unexpected is the fact the past regime left us with such garbage.
That is what we were all hoping for and a reason why WR was not a big problem for us.
__________________
Robert Griffin III welcome to the Washington Redskins!

Year 1 - NFC EAST Champions at 10-6

Year 2 - 3-10... Benched 14 weeks to late.....

Year 3 - Pure Awesomeness!!

http://site.fandangoracinginc.com/
artmonkforhallofamein07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:51 PM   #36
Registered User
 
GusFrerotte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Detroit area
Posts: 4,153
Re: Offensive line shakeup

Yeah, Dock is our best linemen minus Trent and maybe Jamaal. To say he doesn't fit the scheme very well bodes ill for him next offseason. Other than that, not much new news to me. Our line is substandard in terms of depth. This overhauling of the team is going to take longer than what most folks want to admit.
GusFrerotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:24 PM   #37
Pro Bowl
 
SirClintonPortis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,052
Re: Offensive line shakeup

I believe putting Lichensteiger is to help accelerate the transition process as he KNOWS the ZBS better than anyone else on the line.
__________________
Analysis using datasets (aka stats) is an attempt at reverse-engineering a player's "goodness".

Virtuosity remembered, douchebaggery forgotten.

The ideal character profile shoved down modern Western men and women's throats is Don Juan.
SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:03 PM   #38
Special Teams
 
2BIG2BSKINNY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Franklin, TN
Posts: 214
Re: Offensive line shakeup

Lichensteiger at one gaurd and Doc at the other than put Hicks at RT and Jamal Brown at Left... That is how I would do it...until Williams gets back!!!
2BIG2BSKINNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:10 PM   #39
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 29
Posts: 14,732
Re: Offensive line shakeup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
I feel like the running game is the new WR concern, which quickly vanished after last week.

We'll get the running game cranking soon enough.
Yeah, I expect the team to easily put up 140 yards rushing this week with at least a 4.5 ypc. Remember when Rock Cartwright put up 100 yards against the Rams?
NFL Game Center: Washington Redskins at St. Louis Rams - 2005 Week 13

I'll be more interested in seeing how they do against the Eagles. The Eagles have a good front but their linebackers are backups for most teams. Sorry for looking past the Rams but it's not like I'm playing in the game.

You guys also might want to keep an eye on DeAngelo Williams. He could be a free agent next offseason. Guy has never had more then 273 carries in a season.
__________________
"It's nice to be important, but its more important to be nice."
- Scooter

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG

Last edited by Dirtbag59; 09-22-2010 at 10:06 PM.
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:30 AM   #40
Impact Rookie
 
skinster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 754
Re: Offensive line shakeup

hopefully by next year williams and brown will both be better (not saying they are bad now, just better later), and we will somehow acquire a couple of decent interior linemen...FA or 1st/2nd round pick (god I hope it doesn't come to us using one of those on an interior lineman)
skinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:01 AM   #41
Playmaker
 
Longtimefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Germantown, Md.
Posts: 4,832
Re: Offensive line shakeup

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusFrerotte View Post
Yeah, Dock is our best linemen minus Trent and maybe Jamaal. To say he doesn't fit the scheme very well bodes ill for him next offseason. Other than that, not much new news to me. Our line is substandard in terms of depth. This overhauling of the team is going to take longer than what most folks want to admit.
The deficiencies that currently beset the o/line will be corrected once the right combination of players are inserted, assignments are correctly carried out and players win their individual battles.

Both the system and players are new, the scheme requires consistent repetition and quite frankly, this unit hasn't had that and needs more time to perfect what it is they're trying to accomplish.

We continue to witness oscillation between optimism and pessimism as it relates to production in the running game. My judgement will remain reserved until enough games have been played to determine whether or not the problems we've seen thus far become a consistent pattern, or if we see them gradually corrected. I'm optimistic, but optimism will only take me so far, eventually comes that collision course with reality.
__________________
A revolution is coming and it will be televised.
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:22 AM   #42
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 83,420
Re: Offensive line shakeup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimefan View Post
The deficiencies that currently beset the o/line will be corrected once the right combination of players are inserted, assignments are correctly carried out and players win their individual battles.

Both the system and players are new, the scheme requires consistent repetition and quite frankly, this unit hasn't had that and needs more time to perfect what it is they're trying to accomplish.

We continue to witness oscillation between optimism and pessimism as it relates to production in the running game. My judgement will remain reserved until enough games have been played to determine whether or not the problems we've seen thus far become a consistent pattern, or if we see them gradually corrected. I'm optimistic, but optimism will only take me so far, eventually comes that collision course with reality.
I agree, 2 games is not enough to properly gauge where we're at. I'll wait until we're at least 4 games in before I start to draw any hard conclusions about where the running game is headed.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:38 AM   #43
Playmaker
 
freddyg12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,540
Re: Offensive line shakeup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
I feel like the running game is the new WR concern, which quickly vanished after last week.

We'll get the running game cranking soon enough.
I think the two are closely correlated; the lack of wr threats allows teams to play us in the box w/greater confidence that their secondary won't get burned.

Last night on comcast Rabach made an interesting point - that even though they didn't run the ball well, several play action plays were successful. That must mean dallas & houston were more concerned w/our running game & overplayed it to 'make McNabb & our recievers' beat them. Dallas was quite successful w/the strategy, Houston wasn't, even though we beat dallas & lost to houston!
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:00 PM   #44
The Starter
 
skinsnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,224
Re: Offensive line shakeup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
I agree, 2 games is not enough to properly gauge where we're at. I'll wait until we're at least 4 games in before I start to draw any hard conclusions about where the running game is headed.
I agree...it sometimes takes up to half a season for a new offensive line to finally get it...especially with a new blocking scheme....too bad there was so much shuffling going on in the preseason, which could have sped up the process.

The thing about Dock suprises me...why do you "rotate" the oline during a game to begin with...I don't recall ever seeing that before....it is arguably a dangerous move because the oline needs to be in synch with each other and they need to know the nuances and the set up rushes of the defenders during the game, blitzing tendancies etc.

Yeah, they may be fresher, but changing pieces during the game on a supposed cohesive front 5 sounds a little strange to me.

The best thing to do is this...if you dont think you have the best player....bench him and play the same 5 all game....hell....all 16 games for about 5 years like most successful running teams do.

I do have issues with how the Skins see Dock...I agree that he is a power Guard..so use him that way....Is he one of the top 5 Olinemen? Yes...so find a way to play to his strengths...why not run some power plays to his side, or pull him and slam Sellers and him over the right side and give Portis the ball....remember, this guy did this before with a high degree of success and massive running yardage with Portis...to ignore that ability is stupid....Why is it zone or nothing?

A coach can do one of 2 things....
Run a scheme and select the players that match it
OR
Adjust a scheme to maximize the talents already on the team

I feel that this new coaching staff is doing the first.
Unfortunately, we are and will be missing the pieces for years to just "force the scheme" regardless of our personnel.

Take a look at the 3-4....take a look at the o-line.
Yes, they tried to acquire scheme players since they got here, such as drafting TW instead of that other guy. But think of talent on the team that is not scheme perfect that isn't being maxized....such as Dockery....considering benching him is stupid...he is not bad at all...he is just a masher, like most Guards...I am sure he would love to smash someone in the face...just call the damn play.

Other examples....Haynesworth not even playing, Philip Daniels....probably way better as a run stopping DE in a 4 man front than others. Devin Thomas isn't even playing WR...although he should be in the top 3 WR's. Trying to turn Sellers into a pass catcher...ok...that worked 1 week...but against Dallas, he sucked....he is a guard/FB for power rushing. Not to mention our stud backup TE who never seems to get on the field.

And if this team was so concerned about only picking up Scheme matchers, why did they pick up Larry "up the gut" Johnson? This team seems to be competely walking away from any ability to run a power game...which will kill you in short yardage, goal line situations.

What we need is this...
Use a hybrid power rushing game AND zone blocking.
Gibbs figured it out and used it well...why can't Shanny?
Lets maximize the talent on the team and stop trying to force a square peg through a round hole.
__________________
I hate Dallas...Period
skinsnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:03 PM   #45
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 83,420
Re: Offensive line shakeup

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyg12 View Post
I think the two are closely correlated; the lack of wr threats allows teams to play us in the box w/greater confidence that their secondary won't get burned.

Last night on comcast Rabach made an interesting point - that even though they didn't run the ball well, several play action plays were successful. That must mean dallas & houston were more concerned w/our running game & overplayed it to 'make McNabb & our recievers' beat them. Dallas was quite successful w/the strategy, Houston wasn't, even though we beat dallas & lost to houston!
It was nice to see all the playaction, I feel like it's been a while since we've seen it used regularly.

Some of the play designs were pretty sweet too, the misdirection, throwing back across the field, nice to finally have an OC that knows what he's doing.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.32649 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25