Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Two big problems on offense: 3rd downs & red zone

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2010, 04:22 PM   #31
Playmaker
 
freddyg12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,540
Re: Two big problems on offense: 3rd downs & red zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
Yeah, without statistical evidence I'd say we seem to be in 3rd and long a hell of a lot. That is killer. It's a lot easier to get creative on 3rd & 3.5 rather than 3rd & 9. I'd also like to see Portis in on 3rd more often.

I'd dont see why leaving him in to chip and release would be bad. Especially on a 3rd and mid-range.
Without the benefit of data to back this up, from my memory this hits the nail on the head! In the dallas game CP was protecting McNabb from the interior blitz (& Ratcliff), which dallas had no fear in running on virtually every pass play.

In the Houston & Rams games CP didn't play as much in the 2nd half & it showed at crucial times. At this point in his career he really is a 3rd down back, and he makes a huge difference w/blitz pick ups. He covers up how poorly the interior line has played when blitzed.

Of course, can't argue w/those that point out the lack of running game that leads to 3rd & long to begin with.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-01-2010, 04:27 PM   #32
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,677
Re: Two big problems on offense: 3rd downs & red zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
You alluded to it earlier- running game epic fail.
Hey Scud did you get my PM?
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 09:00 PM   #33
Registered User
 
GusFrerotte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Detroit area
Posts: 4,153
Re: Two big problems on offense: 3rd downs & red zone

I just hope we make a game of it on Sunday. Adam Schein actually picked us to win it, but at this point with the pass defense being god awful, we will be lucky to keep the Eagles win margin around the 10-14 pt margin.
GusFrerotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 09:16 PM   #34
Playmaker
 
artmonkforhallofamein07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Charleston , SC
Posts: 4,686
Re: Two big problems on offense: 3rd downs & red zone

The guys on Inside the NFL split on picking this game as well.

It is amazing that some in the National media are actually picking us to make a game of it.

I think we can win, but it is going to take a hell of an effort by our Team.
__________________
Robert Griffin III welcome to the Washington Redskins!

Year 1 - NFC EAST Champions at 10-6

Year 2 - 3-10... Benched 14 weeks to late.....

Year 3 - Pure Awesomeness!!

http://site.fandangoracinginc.com/
artmonkforhallofamein07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 09:42 PM   #35
Inactive
 
KLHJ2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: DC Metro Area
Age: 36
Posts: 5,829
Re: Two big problems on offense: 3rd downs & red zone

UUUHHHMMM! Ditto? I mean what else can you say? The team needs work all around, if we can sure up a couple of things on both sides of the ball then we are contenders. If not then we are 4-12 all over again.

I have a feeling that we are going to continue to struggle on 3rd down and Redzone because the fact of the matter is that you need BIG targets and a strong running game in both areas. Now if they start using both Cooley and Davis in such situations then we miight have a shot, but they have to go to 2 WR 2 TE sets to do that which make us extremely predictable. Until we have a big WR without injury issues, then things are going to stay the same.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:01 PM   #36
The Starter
 
30gut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,099
Re: Two big problems on offense: 3rd downs & red zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry View Post
UUUHHHMMM! Ditto? I mean what else can you say? The team needs work all around, if we can sure up a couple of things on both sides of the ball then we are contenders. If not then we are 4-12 all over again.

I have a feeling that we are going to continue to struggle on 3rd down and Redzone because the fact of the matter is that you need BIG targets and a strong running game in both areas. Now if they start using both Cooley and Davis in such situations then we miight have a shot, but they have to go to 2 WR 2 TE sets to do that which make us extremely predictable. Until we have a big WR without injury issues, then things are going to stay the same.
When did it become a fact that you need a big WR to be successful on 3rd down or in the RZ?

We just need to be more effecient in the passing game.
If our passing game can produce sustained scoring drives everything else will work itself out including the defense.
The onus is on Kyle and McNabb as goes the passing game so go the Redskins.

-PS The 1st half of the Rams game was almost exclusively Double TEs sets.
__________________
No longer were NFL coaches dealing inflexibly with spread [QBs] in ways that caused stunted development for players like [A. Smith and Vick] now, the idea is to bring what the quarterback can do, and what he should do, together as an organic whole
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:08 PM   #37
Pro Bowl
 
SirClintonPortis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,052
Re: Two big problems on offense: 3rd downs & red zone

I bet Heyer was a big reason for those double TE sets. Goes to show what a dropoff he is from Williams.
__________________
Analysis using datasets (aka stats) is an attempt at reverse-engineering a player's "goodness".

Virtuosity remembered, douchebaggery forgotten.

The ideal character profile shoved down modern Western men and women's throats is Don Juan.
SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:34 PM   #38
Registered User
 
GusFrerotte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Detroit area
Posts: 4,153
Re: Two big problems on offense: 3rd downs & red zone

I think we can win, but Philly is going to have to help us in terms of turnovers. They just look really solid to me.
GusFrerotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 05:50 AM   #39
Playmaker
 
skins89moss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 3,135
Re: Two big problems on offense: 3rd downs & red zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
VINCENT JACKSON would have fixed that
No he would have fixed us again giving away draft picks for other teams problem child.
__________________
www.islandstyleflowers.com Home of the Hawaiian Foam FlowersRedskins Fan Since 1972
skins89moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 06:02 AM   #40
Playmaker
 
skins89moss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 3,135
Re: Two big problems on offense: 3rd downs & red zone

How is Devin Thomas not getting any time at WR behind Galloway, Armstrong, and Roydell Williams? How is this possible that Devin is worse than a 39 year old WR who can still run but does not threaten the defense. Can we just give Devin a chance and lets see if he can give Santana some help. We will continue to struggle if our other WR can not make plays on the other side.
__________________
www.islandstyleflowers.com Home of the Hawaiian Foam FlowersRedskins Fan Since 1972
skins89moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 06:27 AM   #41
MVP
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 37
Posts: 11,644
Re: Two big problems on offense: 3rd downs & red zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
The Skins best WR (Moss) is just too small to be a factor in the Red Zone and cant win jump balls. Everyone know the Skins cant run the ball and cant do a fade route with their small WRs so IMO it makes them easy to defend.
Great point. It would just be nice to have a 2nd reciever in this offense which can make plays down in the redzone or anywhere on the field.
__________________
Ditka for President
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 01:55 PM   #42
The Starter
 
30gut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,099
Re: Two big problems on offense: 3rd downs & red zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirClintonPortis View Post
I bet Heyer was a big reason for those double TE sets. Goes to show what a dropoff he is from Williams.
No argument that there's a huge drop off from Williams to Heyer.
But, about Heyer being the reason for running a lot of Double TEs sets don't know about that.
Being a football nerd i watched the game again.
Heyer received very little help and did a decent job.
Short of a couple times Heyer didn't receive that much help from the TEs (maybe twice in the 1st half) and a few times from Lichtensteiger.
He faired better then Jamal Brown who had his hands full with Chris Long.

I would bet the Double TE sets were used:
o to get our running game kick started
o b/c our TEs corps is better then our WR corps
o to maintain the versatility to pass or run from the same formation without having to change personel
with Cooley, Davis, Sellers, Portis/Torrain, Moss we can run power but still get down the field in the passing game
__________________
No longer were NFL coaches dealing inflexibly with spread [QBs] in ways that caused stunted development for players like [A. Smith and Vick] now, the idea is to bring what the quarterback can do, and what he should do, together as an organic whole
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 03:56 PM   #43
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Two big problems on offense: 3rd downs & red zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
No argument that there's a huge drop off from Williams to Heyer.
But, about Heyer being the reason for running a lot of Double TEs sets don't know about that.
Being a football nerd i watched the game again.
Heyer received very little help and did a decent job.
Short of a couple times Heyer didn't receive that much help from the TEs (maybe twice in the 1st half) and a few times from Lichtensteiger.
He faired better then Jamal Brown who had his hands full with Chris Long.

I would bet the Double TE sets were used:
o to get our running game kick started
o b/c our TEs corps is better then our WR corps
o to maintain the versatility to pass or run from the same formation without having to change personel
with Cooley, Davis, Sellers, Portis/Torrain, Moss we can run power but still get down the field in the passing game
Agreed on all points.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:01 PM   #44
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,776
Re: Two big problems on offense: 3rd downs & red zone

We were much better converting on 3rd down today
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:44 PM   #45
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 10,622
Re: Two big problems on offense: 3rd downs & red zone

^ Yes we were. Hopefully the offense is starting to gel.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.28868 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25