Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Brett Favre has 2 ankle fractures; status uncertain for next week

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2010, 05:59 PM   #1
MVP
 
mooby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NoVa
Age: 26
Posts: 12,108
Brett Favre has 2 ankle fractures; status uncertain for next week

Brett Favre has 2 ankle fractures and he might not play next week. I know this has nothing to do with the Skins and everybody is sick of talking about him but we all know Favre will always be a hot topic as long as he is playing.

The thing I really want to talk about is why doesn't he sit? If any other starting quarterback had 2 ankle fractures and was obviously not playing well, there'd be no doubt he'd sit out at least a week to get healthier. Because an injured player like Favre is clearly not the same as the Favre we saw last season. It's pretty obvious he'd be hurting the team because he's just not young enough to the point where he can still be effective while playing with injuries.

Imo, if he plays, it's about one thing, and one thing only. It definitely won't be about helping the team and trying to win, it would be about keeping his starting streak alive. If Childress is smart he will do the right move and put Tavaris Jackson in, because it's obvious Brett Favre is not playing at a good level right now. And if Favre truly wanted to help the team win, he'd put aside his ego for once, and take a week off so he can get healthier and come back fine.

And I am the only one who noticed against Green Bay that when Favre threw a pick, he limped and hobbled off the field like he was done for the season, but when he threw that touchdown pass that was called back in the final minute, he ran around jumping for joy like it was 1998 out there.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-25-2010, 06:15 PM   #2
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,963
Re: Brett Favre has 2 ankle fractures; status uncertain for next week

He just texted me a pic of his stress fracture....

Wouldn't be surprised if he comes in for one series to keep his streak intact and then he'll sit

Interesting observation in your last paragraph mooby, hadn't noticed that
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 06:29 PM   #3
Camp Scrub
 
apiatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Newton, IA
Posts: 34
Re: Brett Favre has 2 ankle fractures; status uncertain for next week

Yeah, it is pretty obvious at this point that he is playing just to keep the streak alive. I believe it is truly the only reason why we have to go through the drama every offseason about whether he can play or not. Not because he wants to, or because he needs the money, or because the Vikings/Packers/Jets need him, it's because he wants to start all 16 games.

There is no doubt that what he has done over his career has been remarkable. The fact that he could play a gillion games in a row shows that he is tough. But even Cal Ripken sat at one point. This thing needs to end and soon if the Vikings are to have a chance to get back in the race. They were pretty much a playoff team when Jackson was a starter two years ago. If Favre takes a couple weeks to get sound, Minnesota leans on their running game and defense to get them through and Favre can come back at even 80% they would still have a shot to win the North. It's not like any one of those teams is a real powerhouse that will be running away with it.

In the end, Favre will probably play through it, play poorly and ride off into the sunset looking washed up. If the guy had true pride, he would sit until he could play, then go at it like hell in the 2nd half of the season.
apiatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 06:31 PM   #4
Impact Rookie
 
BringBackJoeT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Van Ness, Washington D.C.
Posts: 596
Re: Brett Favre has 2 ankle fractures; status uncertain for next week

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
Brett Favre has 2 ankle fractures and he might not play next week. I know this has nothing to do with the Skins and everybody is sick of talking about him but we all know Favre will always be a hot topic as long as he is playing.

The thing I really want to talk about is why doesn't he sit? If any other starting quarterback had 2 ankle fractures and was obviously not playing well, there'd be no doubt he'd sit out at least a week to get healthier. Because an injured player like Favre is clearly not the same as the Favre we saw last season. It's pretty obvious he'd be hurting the team because he's just not young enough to the point where he can still be effective while playing with injuries.

Imo, if he plays, it's about one thing, and one thing only. It definitely won't be about helping the team and trying to win, it would be about keeping his starting streak alive. If Childress is smart he will do the right move and put Tavaris Jackson in, because it's obvious Brett Favre is not playing at a good level right now. And if Favre truly wanted to help the team win, he'd put aside his ego for once, and take a week off so he can get healthier and come back fine.

And I am the only one who noticed against Green Bay that when Favre threw a pick, he limped and hobbled off the field like he was done for the season, but when he threw that touchdown pass that was called back in the final minute, he ran around jumping for joy like it was 1998 out there.
Well, to be honest, I thought he was hobbling a little when he was celebrating the called-back TD. However, I don't mean that to undermine your point, because I was paying attention in the first place to whether he was in fact hobbling at that point because I was convinced by game's end that he was playing up the ankle issue for all it was worth. That he would do such a thing is in complete concert with the Favre we've gotten to know in the past few years. Sure, the news on the stress fractures seems to make the hobbling more real. But I'm guessing more than a few people similarly thought he was exaggerating a little bit (his scrambling during that final drive didn't seem too affected by the ankle), which would be more evidence of just how far public perception of him has plunged since 2007.
__________________
Super Trouper lights are gonna find me. Shining like the sun. Smiling having fun. Feeling like a number one.
BringBackJoeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 06:38 PM   #5
Pro Bowl
 
SirClintonPortis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,052
Re: Brett Favre has 2 ankle fractures; status uncertain for next week

First play of the game, handoff to All Day.

Then it's all Tarvaris Jackson all day long. It will be interesting to see if he's improved.
__________________
Analysis using datasets (aka stats) is an attempt at reverse-engineering a player's "goodness".

Virtuosity remembered, douchebaggery forgotten.

The ideal character profile shoved down modern Western men and women's throats is Don Juan.
SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 06:46 PM   #6
Playmaker
 
Longtimefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Germantown, Md.
Posts: 4,832
Re: Brett Favre has 2 ankle fractures; status uncertain for next week

It's time for him to give it a permanent rest. There's nothing for him to prove by continuing to play.
__________________
A revolution is coming and it will be televised.
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:07 PM   #7
The Starter
 
drew54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: IOWA
Age: 32
Posts: 1,296
Re: Brett Favre has 2 ankle fractures; status uncertain for next week

Peyton Manning needs to play 6 more seasons(98 games) without a missed start to catch Favre.

Also according to Wikipedia, if there are games with replacement players, he could lose his streak like Dan Marino did.

Most consecutive starts by a quarterback (NFL) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It doesn't matter if he sits or not, the media will talk about it uncontrollably, and I will ignore every bit of it. Sick of Favre.
__________________
No pressure, no diamonds.
drew54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:12 PM   #8
MVP
 
mooby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NoVa
Age: 26
Posts: 12,108
Re: Brett Favre has 2 ankle fractures; status uncertain for next week

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackJoeT View Post
Well, to be honest, I thought he was hobbling a little when he was celebrating the called-back TD. However, I don't mean that to undermine your point, because I was paying attention in the first place to whether he was in fact hobbling at that point because I was convinced by game's end that he was playing up the ankle issue for all it was worth. That he would do such a thing is in complete concert with the Favre we've gotten to know in the past few years. Sure, the news on the stress fractures seems to make the hobbling more real. But I'm guessing more than a few people similarly thought he was exaggerating a little bit (his scrambling during that final drive didn't seem too affected by the ankle), which would be more evidence of just how far public perception of him has plunged since 2007.
I know I exaggerated it in my last paragraph above, but it definitely did seem like he was milking it so he could get some pity. I mean after his picks the way he walked off the field made it seem he could barely stand, but after that called back touchdown I did seem him running around, yes he was hobbling slightly, but he was running around and jumping up and down like he always does.

I can understand the pain of having 2 fractures in his ankle and I'm sure that hurt like hell, but he's not going to win any popularity points when he runs around out there like he did after that td pass that was incomplete. Like I said if he truly wants to help the team, he'll sit this one out. His streak is long enough, it's an amazing accomplishment, but when you get to the point where you care about your streak more than helping the team that's when it's time to end.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:56 PM   #9
The Starter
 
PWNED's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: ZOMGZZZ!!111
Age: 22
Posts: 1,153
Re: Brett Favre has 2 ankle fractures; status uncertain for next week

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
He just texted me a pic of his stress fracture....

Wouldn't be surprised if he comes in for one series to keep his streak intact and then he'll sit

Interesting observation in your last paragraph mooby, hadn't noticed that
i heard it was a broken "BONE"... harharharharharharhar!
__________________
143 lbs of twisted steel and sex appeal.
PWNED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:17 PM   #10
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,804
Re: Brett Favre has 2 ankle fractures; status uncertain for next week

I hope he doesn't play. So tired of Farve and his drama.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:23 PM   #11
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 83,440
Re: Brett Favre has 2 ankle fractures; status uncertain for next week

Yeah he was jumping around on the Harvin play, but with a serious limp
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 01:54 PM   #12
Playmaker
 
BleedBurgundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,471
Re: Brett Favre has 2 ankle fractures; status uncertain for next week

The real question is: Is Favre at 25% > T Jack at 100%

That's essentially what Childress is saying.
__________________
"All natural institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit."

Thomas Paine
BleedBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 01:56 PM   #13
Pro Bowl
 
SirClintonPortis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,052
Re: Brett Favre has 2 ankle fractures; status uncertain for next week

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBurgundy View Post
The real question is: Is Favre at 25% > T Jack at 100%

That's essentially what Childress is saying.
Jackson did perform well for a stretch once Frerotte went down. Maybe they'll be lucky and get him while he's hot.
__________________
Analysis using datasets (aka stats) is an attempt at reverse-engineering a player's "goodness".

Virtuosity remembered, douchebaggery forgotten.

The ideal character profile shoved down modern Western men and women's throats is Don Juan.
SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 01:58 PM   #14
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 83,440
Re: Brett Favre has 2 ankle fractures; status uncertain for next week

I'm betting he plays. He can take a shot to help with the pain. He's still their best QB on the roster.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 02:05 PM   #15
Pro Bowl
 
SirClintonPortis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,052
Re: Brett Favre has 2 ankle fractures; status uncertain for next week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
I'm betting he plays. He can take a shot to help with the pain. He's still their best QB on the roster.
By how much? His accuracy is off and he's a lock to get hit. Those hits will make it worse for him.
__________________
Analysis using datasets (aka stats) is an attempt at reverse-engineering a player's "goodness".

Virtuosity remembered, douchebaggery forgotten.

The ideal character profile shoved down modern Western men and women's throats is Don Juan.
SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.28986 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25