Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Redskins-Lions Game Reviews

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2010, 06:52 PM   #16
The Starter
 
30gut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,099
Re: Redskins-Lions Game Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
I think the easiest way out of this circle of offensive death is to rely on the running backs for improved protection (namely, don't release, McNabb doesn't even see the RBs anyway unless there's a protection breakdown...usually caused by a back releasing too early), and improved running. Unless the RBs raise their level of play, the lack of continuity between McNabb and the OL is destined to continue.
I agree that the backs improving with recognition of when/how long to stay in and block vs release will help the offense as will improved running but in order for the running game to improve Kyle needs to call more runs.

(after watching the game again)
I think the No.1 way to improve the offense/passing game is for McNabb needs to choose and hit the checkdown route more often.
After watching the game i repeated saw the short receivers open.
I've noticed this all year long, McNabb has a tendency to turn down the open short route and look downfield.
But, the result is often that whatever he was looking for downfield doesn't happen or McNabb doesn't anticipate correctly and the result is a late throw a sack or an incompletion.
It appears that McNabb isn't in rhythm with the design of the play and that rhythm taxes the pass protection past their threshold.

Imo the solution is simple:

"Get what you can get as fast as you can get it"
-Andy Reid (said to McNabb in regards to the running the offense, many years ago at a miked up Eagles training camp)
I think McNabb needs to get back to that mantra: quickly hit the 1st open receiver.
__________________
No longer were NFL coaches dealing inflexibly with spread [QBs] in ways that caused stunted development for players like [A. Smith and Vick] now, the idea is to bring what the quarterback can do, and what he should do, together as an organic whole
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-05-2010, 07:19 AM   #17
MVP
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 37
Posts: 11,652
Re: Redskins-Lions Game Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
In essence, you have the inconsistencies in protection throwing off McNabb's timing in the offense, and you have McNabb's timing throwing off the consistency in the protection.

I think the easiest way out of this circle of offensive death is to rely on the running backs for improved protection (namely, don't release, McNabb doesn't even see the RBs anyway unless there's a protection breakdown...usually caused by a back releasing too early), and improved running. Unless the RBs raise their level of play, the lack of continuity between McNabb and the OL is destined to continue.
I just really think when it comes down to Oline, RB and WR we simply just dont have enough talent offensively to be consistent. I think it frustrates Kyle and McNabb with what they want to do. We need more talent on offense. This style of "winning ugly" close games is what we have to do because of the lack of talent on the O.
__________________
Ditka for President
Chico23231 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:21 AM   #18
The Starter
 
30gut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,099
Re: Redskins-Lions Game Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
I just really think when it comes down to Oline, RB and WR we simply just dont have enough talent offensively to be consistent. I think it frustrates Kyle and McNabb with what they want to do. We need more talent on offense. This style of "winning ugly" close games is what we have to do because of the lack of talent on the O.
I'm not sure what you mean by consistent.
But, i certainly believe the offense and the passing game as a unit (OC,QB,OL,WRs/TE) except the RBs and Armstrong are underperforming.
McNabb can most certainly play much better then he's playing now, we all should now and acknowledge that McNabb can and imo will play better.
He needs to be more on time with his reads and passes and take the easy gain rather then waiting for the big play.
The OL can play better across the board although a littel help from the OC by running the ball more and QB getting the ball out quick can help them play better.
The RBs i think are playing about as well as can expected for journeymen back-ups.
Moss is playing the way he normally does good but not quite top tier b/c he still gets muscled too often and he has some wierd drops every now and again.
Joey Galloway?? i'm not sure why he ever gets targeted on non-deep routes or on 3rd downs but if Shanahan has faith in him then he's drastically underperforming.
Cooley's been up and down.
Davis is criminally underused.
__________________
No longer were NFL coaches dealing inflexibly with spread [QBs] in ways that caused stunted development for players like [A. Smith and Vick] now, the idea is to bring what the quarterback can do, and what he should do, together as an organic whole
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:51 AM   #19
MVP
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 37
Posts: 11,652
Re: Redskins-Lions Game Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by consistent.
But, i certainly believe the offense and the passing game as a unit (OC,QB,OL,WRs/TE) except the RBs and Armstrong are underperforming.
McNabb can most certainly play much better then he's playing now, we all should now and acknowledge that McNabb can and imo will play better.
He needs to be more on time with his reads and passes and take the easy gain rather then waiting for the big play.
The OL can play better across the board although a littel help from the OC by running the ball more and QB getting the ball out quick can help them play better.
The RBs i think are playing about as well as can expected for journeymen back-ups.
Moss is playing the way he normally does good but not quite top tier b/c he still gets muscled too often and he has some wierd drops every now and again.
Joey Galloway?? i'm not sure why he ever gets targeted on non-deep routes or on 3rd downs but if Shanahan has faith in him then he's drastically underperforming.
Cooley's been up and down.
Davis is criminally underused.
The last 4 games our offense will literrally disappear for quarter or halfs, they dont come out and play an entire game...Just poor, bad play, lots of mistakes and missed opportunities. A real lack of offensive rythum. If we have better talent at Oline, WR and RB I think we could fix what I previously mentioned.
__________________
Ditka for President
Chico23231 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:19 PM   #20
The Starter
 
30gut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,099
Re: Redskins-Lions Game Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Just poor, bad play, lots of mistakes and missed opportunities. A real lack of offensive rythum. If we have better talent at Oline, WR and RB I think we could fix what I previously mentioned.
Are you saying the offense isn't good b/c of lack of talent or are you saying the offense is out of rhythm and is making mistakes?
B/c depending on which you believe you either think the offense can improve or you don't.

Also you mention every position except QB.
Do you think McNabb is playing well?
And wouldn't better play from McNabb make everyone else play better?

I think the Kyle and McNabb have the power to right the ship b/c there is no reason why this offense is performing worse then last years offense.
__________________
No longer were NFL coaches dealing inflexibly with spread [QBs] in ways that caused stunted development for players like [A. Smith and Vick] now, the idea is to bring what the quarterback can do, and what he should do, together as an organic whole
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:35 PM   #21
MVP
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 37
Posts: 11,652
Re: Redskins-Lions Game Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
Are you saying the offense isn't good b/c of lack of talent or are you saying the offense is out of rhythm and is making mistakes?
B/c depending on which you believe you either think the offense can improve or you don't.

Also you mention every position except QB.
Do you think McNabb is playing well?
And wouldn't better play from McNabb make everyone else play better?

I think the Kyle and McNabb have the power to right the ship b/c there is no reason why this offense is performing worse then last years offense.
Its because of a lack of talent they cant get in a rhythm and are making mistakes.

I think certain players can improve. I think certain players wont improve. Its the first year, Shanny is rebuilding, certainly he is not satisfied with this roster on offense.

McNabb is not playing particularly well. He has won us some games other past QB would not. Yes improve play from the QB would make others better. Not really the Oline, but recievers certainly.
__________________
Ditka for President
Chico23231 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:26 AM   #22
The Starter
 
30gut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,099
Re: Redskins-Lions Game Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Its because of a lack of talent they cant get in a rhythm and are making mistakes.
This is where we disagree.
I don't think the lack of talent is preventing them from getting into a rhythm or forcing them to make most of their mistakes.
We were a less talented team last year yet the offense or at least the passing gamewas in much better rhythm and performing more efficiently from the QB position.
I don't believe the NFL truely has large talent gaps from team to team.
Sure their are some elite players like Suh that will make an average OL look terrible.
A team succeeds by getting the most from the talent you have and that's what i think this team is lacking.
Simple put i think being in a rhythm is independent of talent.
You can have the most talented team in the world be out of sync and you can have a team with average talent be in rhythm.
And right now the passing game is below average; its worse then last years unit which was less talented.

Quote:
Yes improve play from the QB would make others better. Not really the Oline, but recievers certainly.
Better play from the QB will certainly making the pass protection look better.
And that's the main area where the OL has problems because they're a decent and improving run blocking group. (Calling a few more runs would help)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
I think the Kyle and McNabb have the power to right the ship b/c there is no reason why this offense is performing worse then last years offense.
This quote makes me believe that greater focus will be given to designing the offense and getting McNabb and thusly the passing game in better rhythm:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Campbell
Rich_Campbell
Shanahan said he will try in the second half to get McNabb in situations he's more comfortable in and better at.
__________________
No longer were NFL coaches dealing inflexibly with spread [QBs] in ways that caused stunted development for players like [A. Smith and Vick] now, the idea is to bring what the quarterback can do, and what he should do, together as an organic whole
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:42 AM   #23
The Starter
 
30gut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,099
Re: Redskins-Lions Game Reviews

double post....enjoy:
__________________
No longer were NFL coaches dealing inflexibly with spread [QBs] in ways that caused stunted development for players like [A. Smith and Vick] now, the idea is to bring what the quarterback can do, and what he should do, together as an organic whole
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:02 AM   #24
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Redskins-Lions Game Reviews

Worth pointing out that last year's offensive coaching staff (and players) did a pretty impressive 2nd half save-job of an offense that was completely without a clue in the first half. With a lot of the same players, we looked like a team that learned how to execute in the second half.

Could happen again this year, but I think modesty is going to have to hit this coaching staff before they even truly realize that anything is wrong.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 11:21 AM   #25
The Starter
 
30gut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,099
Re: Redskins-Lions Game Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Could happen again this year, but I think modesty is going to have to hit this coaching staff before they even truly realize that anything is wrong.
I think they realize something is wrong hence the whole McNabb benching. The question is do they realize they're part of the problem?
__________________
No longer were NFL coaches dealing inflexibly with spread [QBs] in ways that caused stunted development for players like [A. Smith and Vick] now, the idea is to bring what the quarterback can do, and what he should do, together as an organic whole
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.25632 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25