Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Redskins Eagles 2.0 Reviews

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2010, 10:51 PM   #1
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,993
Redskins Eagles 2.0 Reviews

Offense

All things considered, the offensive performance for the Redskins in this game was better than before the bye. I thought Donovan McNabb raised his level of play a reasonable amount from his past two starts. In this game, the offensive mistakes in the passing game were forced by breakdown's elsewhere, and were largely not the fault of Donovan McNabb. That doesn't excuse a number of missed throws that ended Redskin drive where McNabb had open receivers with little pressure and just flat missed, and it isn't intended to relieve McNabb of all blame for all three interceptions. Two of the three were McNabb's fault directly, however, they were forced mistakes by problems elsewhere on the field.

What didn't change was that McNabb's not getting a lot of help in the passing game. He did receive help from an unlikely source based on past history: Kyle Shanahan. The first touchdown was set up by, and the second touchdown was scored on, a pair of well-anticipated calls by the junior Shanahan. I thought the first TD pass to Darryl Young was also a nice play because it used misdirection to take advantage of a nosy Asante Samuel and a wet field to get the fullback wide open in the flat against a corner. Screens were a useful part of the gameplan against a blitz-happy Philadelphia defense, and a big reason the Redskins put up four TDs on the defense.

Aside from Shanahan, McNabb got the normal contributions from Fred Davis and Anthony Armstrong, and then essentially had to do the rest on his own. Joey Galloway was responsible for a third down interception and a third down drop in this game, and he's now featuring a catch rate under 30%, which makes him the Derek Anderson of NFL receivers. Roydell Williams was a little bit better than that, but isn't McNabb's idea of a weapon by any stretch. Santana Moss was once again a non-factor against the Philadelphia Eagles. Chris Cooley was also a non-factor in this game. He could win that match-up with Stewart Bradley the Eagles gave him one on one but often, Cooley was an important piece of the pass protection scheme. When the Redskins left both Cooley and Keiland Williams in the backfield, that's when they protected McNabb the best and were able to get opportunities down the field (such as Anthony Armstrong's 76 yarder). When Cooley wasn't used in protection and the Eagles went with zone coverage and A-gap pressure from Bradley (who is an excellent blitzer), Cooley was blanketed and McNabb forced some balls to him. His forgettable season continues.

A couple of unexpected sources of productivity emerged in this game from the offensive backfield: there was Darryl Young at fullback, and Keiland Williams at tailback. Williams struggled with his pass blocking in the six man protections in this game, which might be the biggest difference between him and Torain. At least the biggest difference in favor of Torain. Keiland Williams is a much stronger offensive weapon, because they use him as a receiver, and he's really one heck of a runner especially compared to Torain. One criticism about Williams is that he's really not a one-cut back, but I think he runs well in the zone attack anyway, and with him running the plays, we saw the return of a couple of man blocking trap concepts. I really, really like Keiland Williams. I do think he needs to improve his blocking. Sometimes, he's going to be asked to do more than just help out, he's actually going to be assigned someone in the protection scheme. He just misses those assignments too often right now. I like Darryl Young as a runner as well, in limited action.

That covers everyone I think.

Offensive Line Performance

These guys were an issue in this game, but had a good day run blocking at least. The seams for Keiland Williams to run in were pretty spacey. The Eagles are not a good run defense, but the Redskins OL still deserves some credit for improvement on the ground. Through the air, however, was another story.

Both guards had two very costly blown blocks. For Artis Hicks, his first blown block led directly to a Casey Rabach holding penalty, proving that the Redskins can actually turn a double team into two different mistakes (at the point which Hicks fell down, the hold was probably the right decision -- it only cost six yards -- though McNabb could easily have been picked on the play). His second block led to a long sack where he just never realized a stunt, hanging out Stephon Heyer with two guys to block. Kory Lichtenstieger also blew two blocks, one of which led directly to the McNabb pick six, the other on a stunt. For Kory though, that was about it for his mistakes. I thought he did very well in the running game, best I've seen from him in weeks. For Artis Hicks, those blown blocks were only the most egregious of his troubles, as he allowed enough pressure to get benched for performance in the fourth quarter. It's probably time to move forward with Will Montgomery at RG. I'm not much a believer in Will Montgomery, but Hicks is a major liability in pass protection.

Casey Rabach also didn't play very well, getting driven back, missing blocks altogether. The nicest thing to say here is that nothing Rabach did led directly to a critical error by the offensive unit. He was just sort of bad independent of the outcome of the game. Trent Williams did a good job neutralizing Trent Cole for most of the game, but he was beaten three times by my count. Only one of those was a straight up bull rush. The book on Trent Williams right now is that stunts to his side work, as well as bull rushes (he allowed three pressures via bull-rush in this game). This was a good run blocking game for Williams, who was able to out-leverage Cole and move him where he wanted him to go to open up lanes. On one incompletion, Trent allowed a hit on McNabb by making an embarrassingly poor cut block attempt on Cole that did nothing but give him a free run on McNabb. Stephon Heyer allowed a hit on the quarterback in this one, but I think he remains our most consistent lineman this year. In instances where the pocket is particularly clean, it's usually because Heyer is handling a one on one assignment to textbook execution.

I look at the way that Trent Williams can handle top pass rushers in this league and at the way that Heyer does his job at RT and think that adding a strong center to the middle of this line can really solidify this group. I think a second year Lichtenstieger playing between Williams and a strong Center would make an excellent base of a line. Then the Redskins will have to track down a RG and a RT somewhere, but will have a pretty good start in the process of rebuilding this group.

Third downs, revisited

The Redskins converted a fourth and four in this game when McNabb had a free rusher on him from the snap, backpeddled to buy time, and then threw off his back foot (as he did most of the day, out of necessity, not usually jitters). It probably would have fallen incomplete had McNabb found anyone but Anthony Armstrong, who made a really fantastic catch on the ball for a seven yard gain.

This is significant only because it was the best play the Redskins made on a third or fourth down in this game. The only other nominees would be Keiland Williams' 12 yard run on 3rd and 13, leading to a Redskins punt (but better field position!) in a 59-28 game or a 9 yard catch by Williams on 3rd and 10 in a 42-14 game, again leading to a punt.

Let's examine the third down woes from this game, excluding those two largely successful plays that could have resulted in 4th down conversion attempts.

Redskins on Third Down

- 3rd and 3 Williams runs off the right side, makes a cutback to daylight, but tried to dance around former Redskin Dimitri Patterson instead of lowering his shoulder and running through that hole for a first down. Patterson stuffed him for no gain.
- 3rd and 4 Keiland comes up into the left A gap to hit Ernie Sims and whiffs, getting a piece of Bradley in the process. McNabb eludes Sims and goes to his left, but throws off balance wide of Moss and the pass is intercepted.
- 3rd and 4 The Eagles drop seven, and McNabb's pocket is clean. Cooley is wide open underneath and McNabb is errant on the high side.
- 3rd and 8 McNabb has this read from the start, protection holds against a four man rush, Galloway is well covered on an out (because he can't run good routes against fourth corners), but McNabb hits him in the hands anyway from a clean pocket. Naturally, he drops the ball.
- 3rd and 12 Because Galloway's route wasn't bad enough last time, he completely telegraphs his in cut and Patterson runs it for him, picking McNabb off.
- 3rd and 4 Heyer and Trent Williams are driven into McNabb's face, which allows him to escape to his left, but Darryl Tapp shows in his face and bats the pass back into the ground.
- 3rd and 7 Lichtensteiger is beaten to his outside shoulder by an Eagles blitz and McNabb throws off his back foot again, this time with Patterson undercutting Armstrong and returning the pass for a touchdown.
- 3rd and 10 Parker stunts to the inside where Heyer passes him off. Hicks has his eyes inside so he never sees it, and Parker goes right past him for the sack on McNabb.

First big point: the relative shortness of those downs and distances are attributable to the differences between Torain, who loses yards as a runner, and Williams, who does not. Perhaps you didn't realize this, but the Redskins have just 17 offensive TDs this year. 5 of those were scored by Keiland Williams, who leads the team. Torain has 4. Cooley, Moss, and Portis have just 2 each. Armstrong and Darryl Young round out the season's scoring.

Bad quarterback play, bad receiver play, and bad offensive line play are all equal parts responsible for the failures of this team on third downs. What's remarkable is that even the good plays were desperation attempts: Armstrong makes a good catch, or Williams makes a hard run. Those are your best plays in third down. McNabb's worst down this year is third, but that doesn't mean he's making no play opportunities. It just means execution is a multi-part animal, and this team cannot string three units together to create a single simple play. Success appears to require the extraordinary performance of a single player.

It's hard to see this offense getting better in the short term. They can replace Artis Hicks, and they can replace Joey Galloway, which would fix some issues on this offense, but the replacements would be Will Montgomery and Roydell Williams. At some point, you're just not talented enough to be great. Luckily, for one more week at least, the emergence of Keiland Williams keeps the flame of optimism flickering. For all the faults here, particularly on third down, the Redskins just enjoyed one of their more efficient days of the season against a quality defense.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-16-2010, 10:51 PM   #2
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,993
Re: Redskins Eagles 2.0 Reviews

Defense

Cynically, you could argue that the Redskins gave away whatever edge they brought into a game when DeAngelo Hall and LaRon Landry were caught making light issue of the concussion that DeSean Jackson sustained in Week 6. No one is going to confuse Hall or Landry for two of the wiser players on the Redskins, so perhaps it would be wise to gag order these two for the rest of the season. The Eagles clearly came back out of the locker room ready to stick it to the Redskins, and both Hall and Landry were posterized by a picture perfect Michael Vick bomb in this game. It was the perfect measure of revenge for the Eagles against two of the Redskins more grating trash talkers.

I think that narrative is nice and all, as we could all learn a lesson in humility from the humbling of the Redskins' secondary by Vick, Jackson, Maclin and the Eagles. However, when you look at reasons the Eagles went for seven offensive touchdowns and beat the Redskins 59-24 in this one, neither Hall nor Landry was a major per-play contributor in this loss. They could have both made two critical pass breakups instead of allowing the longest TDs of the day, and the Eagles would have still put up at least a 40 spot on the Redskins without really going after Hall or Landry on this day. Anything in addition was just icing on the cake. Landry and Hall both made a bunch of good plays for the Redskins in this game up around the line of scrimmage. So it's not like those two didn't come ready to back up their words. Their mistake was that they did the trash talking for an entire unit that would find itself overmatched in this game.

The biggest thing that did the Redskins in probably wasn't Vick as much as it was the playcalling onslaught brought by the Eagles against a defense that played the entire game on its heels. The Eagles mixed screen passes with bootlegs, shotgun runs, downfield bombs, and simple west coast quick hitters. It's tough to get pressure on Vick when you can't tell before the play where the heck he is going to set up. In this game, the Eagles never gave the Redskins a chance to get in the face of Vick off the snap. With the defense in absolutely no rhythm whatsoever, Vick was able to accomplish the rest.

Before we go and completely write off this defensive performance as a complete waste of our time, let me ask a rhetorical question: which Eagles skill player do you think had the best day? I mean, the Eagles put up near 600 yards of total offense, surely, someone besides Vick was carrying the load?

Well, Vick didn't throw the 2 TD bombs to himself, but both Jeremy Maclin and DeSean Jackson were largely quiet after Vick outthrew the coverage to make those plays. The Redskins more or less handled the passing game to the edges in this one. As far as for who had the best performance, you probably have your pick between Jerome Harrison and Jason Avant. It's easy to say the Redskins were beat by Vick, but it's hard to say they were beat by the Eagles' best weapons. Did Brent Celek play in this game?

I thought the Redskins did a pretty good job in coverage this game, because Vick had to get deep into his progression on most plays. He still threw for 333 in the air, but those 333 were far less damaging to the Redskins' opportunities to win than the 80 yards on the ground Vick added in every single critical situation, moving the chains with ease.

On the second half TD to Avant when Vick stayed alive and inside the pocket for 8+ seconds before making the throw to Avant across the field, what can you say? It's not like they dropped coverage, they just failed to get Vick on the ground. This game was essentially an extended failure by Rocky McIntosh, by Lorenzo Alexander, Andre Carter, and Brian Orakpo to get ballcarriers to the ground, allowing the extension of drives that always ended in the end zone by the Eagles.

The Redskins won't see Vick again this year, which means that Lorenzo Alexander doesn't have to spend the next six days trying to chase around a video game character on the practice field. However, the struggles of the Redskins to ever get anywhere near Vick in this one is potentially indicative of a bigger problem. Right now, the Redskins' primary pass rush unit is a three or four man group involving Albert Haynesworth, Andre Carter, Kedric Golston, and Adam Carriker. When you take out Haynesworth and Carter and make that a three man rush with Kemoeatu, the Redskins really have a problem. There is very little in terms of pass rush that those three can get on opposing QB, and rarely do they rush in a way where one of them would represent a contain defender of any sort. Adding Brian Orakpo to that group isn't going to change very much, especially since Orakpo is typically a contain rusher in that scheme instead of a freelancer.

These rush schemes make no sense unless the Redskins have been compensating for a fairly serious Brian Orakpo injury since the Bears game. I'm starting to lean towards that conclusion. Orakpo is beating absolutely no one when he does rush, and he's a weak player in his current role of short coverage and interior run fits. I can't imagine that Jim Haslett would be using Brian Orakpo as he is if Orakpo was 100%. But even if he was being used like this, I've never seen him this quiet for three straight games. He had two sacks against Chicago, so if you took the under, you won it in that game. He has done hardly anything against Detroit and Philadelphia (3 pressures, total, no sacks).

The Redskins devised one rush scheme that worked in this game, when they lined up two rushers very wide in second or third and long to come from the outside at Vick. It's a defensive look that Vick couldn't solve. He was sacked by Carter on it, pressured by Carter, Holliday, hit by McIntosh, and twice by Haynesworth out of this very effective four man rush concept. Luckily for the Eagles, they were in 2nd and long...pretty much never. An unbelieveable 12 out of the first 16 Eagles plays were 1st down plays where the Eagles get to dictate to the defense. It's long been Andy Reid's most dangerous down as a playcaller, and because the Redskins couldn't stop anything, the Eagles stayed in first down for the entire first quarter.

The Redskins first blitz came on the first play of the second quarter, which you might remember as being a 48 yard touchdown to Maclin. The Redskins couldn't get close with their blitz packages, and they couldn't force a throw with a three man rush. That conundrum, combined with mostly a poor use of personnel in the four man rush concepts, is why Vick made uncontested throws for four quarters in this game.

So while DeAngelo Hall and LaRon Landry may draw the ire of many for their actions and perceived performance in this game, you can lay the blame for the Eagles explosion at this one on guys like Kareem Moore, on Rocky McIntosh, on the slick footing which really screwed the Redskins on open field scampers by Vick, and on Brian Orakpo who has absolutely disappeared from the defensive schemes. If you want to, you can blame Albert Haynesworth for loafing on the 22 or so snaps he played in this one. If you can ignore the scoreboard, there were match-ups the Redskins defense won: London Fletcher on Brent Celek, Adam Carriker on Nick Cole, Carlos Rogers on whoever lined up against him, Phillip Buchanon on DeSean Jackson and Jeremy Maclin.

There are problems that need solving. In the case of Kareem Moore and Rocky McIntosh, we may just be looking at two guys who have been exposed as players who can't play at an NFL level. Phillip Daniels is at the end of his career. Kedric Golston is being used in a way his skill set doesn't allow for. He can't be useful in this defensive scheme.

The Redskins need to find some sort of pass rush that they've lacked since the beginning of the season, when LaRon Landry and Brian Orakpo were all over quarterbacks. I like the three man rush from a strategic perspective, but 3 man rushes only work when you can set Brian Orakpo loose on a side to himself. In the current manifestation of the Skins defense, it's Albert Haynesworth who has been THE guy freeing up Andre Carter to sack quarterbacks. Once a game isn't good enough as far as creating sacks. However, with Orakpo pretty much a non-factor, it's roughly as much as the Redskins can expect to bring down the opposing quarterback.

Michael Vick likely had the best passing day anyone will have against the Redskins defense, but I'm worried about this unit for the first time this year. Not pressuring Vick is one thing. At this point, can the Redskins get pressure on anyone? Are they even still trying? In both cases, it's hard to say right now.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 11:25 PM   #3
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,584
Re: Redskins Eagles 2.0 Reviews

I've been very disappointed in Hicks. He was supposed to provide not only a veteran presence but some flexibility along on the line as well. And it's time to get Dockery back in there.

Also, people need to realize that before all the Hall/Landry stuff the Eagles were already upset bc of McNabb's locker room comments after game 1
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 03:54 AM   #4
Pro Bowl
 
SirClintonPortis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,052
Re: Redskins Eagles 2.0 Reviews

You can put as much weight on other factors, like playcalling, as much you like, but Vick threw those passes to Jackson, Maclin, and Avant practically perfectly. Hell, that flip to McCoy was also pretty damn fine since Carter(I think) was right in his face. He also deserves credit for understanding the plays very well.


Needless to say, the McNabb-led Shealges were never this deadly against us.
__________________
Analysis using datasets (aka stats) is an attempt at reverse-engineering a player's "goodness".

Virtuosity remembered, douchebaggery forgotten.

The ideal character profile shoved down modern Western men and women's throats is Don Juan.
SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 09:05 AM   #5
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,340
Re: Redskins Eagles 2.0 Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Defense

Cynically, you could argue that the Redskins gave away whatever edge they brought into a game when DeAngelo Hall and LaRon Landry were caught making light issue of the concussion that DeSean Jackson sustained in Week 6. No one is going to confuse Hall or Landry for two of the wiser players on the Redskins, so perhaps it would be wise to gag order these two for the rest of the season. The Eagles clearly came back out of the locker room ready to stick it to the Redskins, and both Hall and Landry were posterized by a picture perfect Michael Vick bomb in this game. It was the perfect measure of revenge for the Eagles against two of the Redskins more grating trash talkers.

I think that narrative is nice and all, as we could all learn a lesson in humility from the humbling of the Redskins' secondary by Vick, Jackson, Maclin and the Eagles. However, when you look at reasons the Eagles went for seven offensive touchdowns and beat the Redskins 59-24 in this one, neither Hall nor Landry was a major per-play contributor in this loss. They could have both made two critical pass breakups instead of allowing the longest TDs of the day, and the Eagles would have still put up at least a 40 spot on the Redskins without really going after Hall or Landry on this day. Anything in addition was just icing on the cake. Landry and Hall both made a bunch of good plays for the Redskins in this game up around the line of scrimmage. So it's not like those two didn't come ready to back up their words. Their mistake was that they did the trash talking for an entire unit that would find itself overmatched in this game.

The biggest thing that did the Redskins in probably wasn't Vick as much as it was the playcalling onslaught brought by the Eagles against a defense that played the entire game on its heels. The Eagles mixed screen passes with bootlegs, shotgun runs, downfield bombs, and simple west coast quick hitters. It's tough to get pressure on Vick when you can't tell before the play where the heck he is going to set up. In this game, the Eagles never gave the Redskins a chance to get in the face of Vick off the snap. With the defense in absolutely no rhythm whatsoever, Vick was able to accomplish the rest.

Before we go and completely write off this defensive performance as a complete waste of our time, let me ask a rhetorical question: which Eagles skill player do you think had the best day? I mean, the Eagles put up near 600 yards of total offense, surely, someone besides Vick was carrying the load?

Well, Vick didn't throw the 2 TD bombs to himself, but both Jeremy Maclin and DeSean Jackson were largely quiet after Vick outthrew the coverage to make those plays. The Redskins more or less handled the passing game to the edges in this one. As far as for who had the best performance, you probably have your pick between Jerome Harrison and Jason Avant. It's easy to say the Redskins were beat by Vick, but it's hard to say they were beat by the Eagles' best weapons. Did Brent Celek play in this game?

I thought the Redskins did a pretty good job in coverage this game, because Vick had to get deep into his progression on most plays. He still threw for 333 in the air, but those 333 were far less damaging to the Redskins' opportunities to win than the 80 yards on the ground Vick added in every single critical situation, moving the chains with ease.

On the second half TD to Avant when Vick stayed alive and inside the pocket for 8+ seconds before making the throw to Avant across the field, what can you say? It's not like they dropped coverage, they just failed to get Vick on the ground. This game was essentially an extended failure by Rocky McIntosh, by Lorenzo Alexander, Andre Carter, and Brian Orakpo to get ballcarriers to the ground, allowing the extension of drives that always ended in the end zone by the Eagles.

The Redskins won't see Vick again this year, which means that Lorenzo Alexander doesn't have to spend the next six days trying to chase around a video game character on the practice field. However, the struggles of the Redskins to ever get anywhere near Vick in this one is potentially indicative of a bigger problem. Right now, the Redskins' primary pass rush unit is a three or four man group involving Albert Haynesworth, Andre Carter, Kedric Golston, and Adam Carriker. When you take out Haynesworth and Carter and make that a three man rush with Kemoeatu, the Redskins really have a problem. There is very little in terms of pass rush that those three can get on opposing QB, and rarely do they rush in a way where one of them would represent a contain defender of any sort. Adding Brian Orakpo to that group isn't going to change very much, especially since Orakpo is typically a contain rusher in that scheme instead of a freelancer.

These rush schemes make no sense unless the Redskins have been compensating for a fairly serious Brian Orakpo injury since the Bears game. I'm starting to lean towards that conclusion. Orakpo is beating absolutely no one when he does rush, and he's a weak player in his current role of short coverage and interior run fits. I can't imagine that Jim Haslett would be using Brian Orakpo as he is if Orakpo was 100%. But even if he was being used like this, I've never seen him this quiet for three straight games. He had two sacks against Chicago, so if you took the under, you won it in that game. He has done hardly anything against Detroit and Philadelphia (3 pressures, total, no sacks).

The Redskins devised one rush scheme that worked in this game, when they lined up two rushers very wide in second or third and long to come from the outside at Vick. It's a defensive look that Vick couldn't solve. He was sacked by Carter on it, pressured by Carter, Holliday, hit by McIntosh, and twice by Haynesworth out of this very effective four man rush concept. Luckily for the Eagles, they were in 2nd and long...pretty much never. An unbelieveable 12 out of the first 16 Eagles plays were 1st down plays where the Eagles get to dictate to the defense. It's long been Andy Reid's most dangerous down as a playcaller, and because the Redskins couldn't stop anything, the Eagles stayed in first down for the entire first quarter.

The Redskins first blitz came on the first play of the second quarter, which you might remember as being a 48 yard touchdown to Maclin. The Redskins couldn't get close with their blitz packages, and they couldn't force a throw with a three man rush. That conundrum, combined with mostly a poor use of personnel in the four man rush concepts, is why Vick made uncontested throws for four quarters in this game.

So while DeAngelo Hall and LaRon Landry may draw the ire of many for their actions and perceived performance in this game, you can lay the blame for the Eagles explosion at this one on guys like Kareem Moore, on Rocky McIntosh, on the slick footing which really screwed the Redskins on open field scampers by Vick, and on Brian Orakpo who has absolutely disappeared from the defensive schemes. If you want to, you can blame Albert Haynesworth for loafing on the 22 or so snaps he played in this one. If you can ignore the scoreboard, there were match-ups the Redskins defense won: London Fletcher on Brent Celek, Adam Carriker on Nick Cole, Carlos Rogers on whoever lined up against him, Phillip Buchanon on DeSean Jackson and Jeremy Maclin.

There are problems that need solving. In the case of Kareem Moore and Rocky McIntosh, we may just be looking at two guys who have been exposed as players who can't play at an NFL level. Phillip Daniels is at the end of his career. Kedric Golston is being used in a way his skill set doesn't allow for. He can't be useful in this defensive scheme.

The Redskins need to find some sort of pass rush that they've lacked since the beginning of the season, when LaRon Landry and Brian Orakpo were all over quarterbacks. I like the three man rush from a strategic perspective, but 3 man rushes only work when you can set Brian Orakpo loose on a side to himself. In the current manifestation of the Skins defense, it's Albert Haynesworth who has been THE guy freeing up Andre Carter to sack quarterbacks. Once a game isn't good enough as far as creating sacks. However, with Orakpo pretty much a non-factor, it's roughly as much as the Redskins can expect to bring down the opposing quarterback.

Michael Vick likely had the best passing day anyone will have against the Redskins defense, but I'm worried about this unit for the first time this year. Not pressuring Vick is one thing. At this point, can the Redskins get pressure on anyone? Are they even still trying? In both cases, it's hard to say right now.
I have a real hard time believing that Rocky can't play in the NFL. He's simply not an inside backer in a 3-4. He's not the type of guy to stand in there and take on blocks. Moore's a different story. 3 years after #21's death this team still doesn't have a replacement. But more importantly the probelms with this team is in the trenches, on both sides of the ball. Those are the areas that needs to be addressed in the draft.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 09:28 AM   #6
Playmaker
 
freddyg12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,540
Re: Redskins Eagles 2.0 Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirClintonPortis View Post
You can put as much weight on other factors, like playcalling, as much you like, but Vick threw those passes to Jackson, Maclin, and Avant practically perfectly. Hell, that flip to McCoy was also pretty damn fine since Carter(I think) was right in his face. He also deserves credit for understanding the plays very well.


Needless to say, the McNabb-led Shealges were never this deadly against us.
Can't take anything away from Vick, but as GT pointed out in another thread Vick's completion pct. was very low when we actually got pressure on him. I think the way to play him is still to bring pressure & force his read. Sure he will get away & scamble for big yards but he'll also expose the ball & take chances. Haslett had a conundrum because we're not a good pass rushing team.

A team w/a good pass rush line might be able to play cover 2 & sit back like we did, but most teams will have to send some extra pressure. I think he's become a very good qb, but that performance monday night was due more to their O overmatching us, as GT points out.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 09:52 AM   #7
Playmaker
 
freddyg12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,540
Re: Redskins Eagles 2.0 Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
I have a real hard time believing that Rocky can't play in the NFL. He's simply not an inside backer in a 3-4. He's not the type of guy to stand in there and take on blocks. Moore's a different story. 3 years after #21's death this team still doesn't have a replacement. But more importantly the probelms with this team is in the trenches, on both sides of the ball. Those are the areas that needs to be addressed in the draft.
I agree w/that, Rocky seemed to be a different player as WOLB in the 4-3. He's too small to be an ideal 3-4 ILB. I can't say I've done the analysis GT has, but look at the end of the plays, you'll see Fletcher in on a lot, Rocky not so much.

Moore has really disappointed me, I had high hopes for him like so many. He came off the field holding his arm monday night, he looks like he can't take any real contact unless he's dishing out a hit on a wr.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 11:32 AM   #8
The Starter
 
30gut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,099
Re: Redskins Eagles 2.0 Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
It's hard to see this offense getting better in the short term. They can replace Artis Hicks, and they can replace Joey Galloway, which would fix some issues on this offense, but the replacements would be Will Montgomery and Roydell Williams. At some point, you're just not talented enough to be great. Luckily, for one more week at least, the emergence of Keiland Williams keeps the flame of optimism flickering. For all the faults here, particularly on third down, the Redskins just enjoyed one of their more efficient days of the season against a quality defense.
Another solid breakdown GT.

I agree and i doubt that we'll be great but at least we could be good, which would be an improvement.

Keiland showed well and i loved the run call on 3rd down its very counter to the modern 3rd down logic and was just outside of the book enough to work had Keiland made a better read.

I thought McNabb was better this game but he's got to turn down some of those passes.
I think its a mistake to trust Galloway (on non-vertical routes) i would rather see him go somewhere else with the ball.
*From a game plan perspective how are they still giving Galloway targets on non-deep routes? Why is he being targeted on key 3rd downs?
You cannot tell me that this offense wouldn't be better if Fred Davis was a bigger part of the passing game then our 3rd WRs.

I think the OL is what it is at this point and played about as well as we can expect.
They were good in the run game and not terrible in pass protection.
Our skill position players namely WRs let us down this game and their faults are imo partially due to a gameplan that features the wrong players.(Fred Davis vs Galloway/Williams although Williams is better then Galloway on non-deep routes).

DEFENSE-
Andy Reid gameplan was phenomenal and it helps that he has Mike Vick.
We got ambushed and i think any team that played them last night would have lost. (maybe not as badly but lost just the same)
Vick was in the zone and was executing a flawless gameplan.
They attacked all our weaknesses.
I tip my hat the Andy Reid.
__________________
No longer were NFL coaches dealing inflexibly with spread [QBs] in ways that caused stunted development for players like [A. Smith and Vick] now, the idea is to bring what the quarterback can do, and what he should do, together as an organic whole
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 01:16 PM   #9
Pro Bowl
 
SirClintonPortis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,052
Re: Redskins Eagles 2.0 Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
Another solid breakdown GT.

I agree and i doubt that we'll be great but at least we could be good, which would be an improvement.

Keiland showed well and i loved the run call on 3rd down its very counter to the modern 3rd down logic and was just outside of the book enough to work had Keiland made a better read.

I thought McNabb was better this game but he's got to turn down some of those passes.
I think its a mistake to trust Galloway (on non-vertical routes) i would rather see him go somewhere else with the ball.
*From a game plan perspective how are they still giving Galloway targets on non-deep routes? Why is he being targeted on key 3rd downs?
You cannot tell me that this offense wouldn't be better if Fred Davis was a bigger part of the passing game then our 3rd WRs.
Cuz he ballin' in practice. Shanahan would have loved Taylor Jacobs.
__________________
Analysis using datasets (aka stats) is an attempt at reverse-engineering a player's "goodness".

Virtuosity remembered, douchebaggery forgotten.

The ideal character profile shoved down modern Western men and women's throats is Don Juan.
SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 02:49 PM   #10
Impact Rookie
 
NYCSkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: San Diego, CA
Age: 42
Posts: 513
Re: Redskins Eagles 2.0 Reviews

Seems like Galloway was benched for Williams during the game. Although maybe that was due to the Skins being blown out. Might as well use Roydell as your third WR this week against the Titans. He did catch 50 balls for them one year and maybe that motivates him to perform this week...
NYCSkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 03:02 PM   #11
Playmaker
 
freddyg12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,540
Re: Redskins Eagles 2.0 Reviews

I can only hope that Shanahan is playing Galloway as part of his bigger picture, culture-changing of the team. Same goes for not starting AH.

If the other wr's are not performing well in practice, showing command of plays, routes, etc., then Shanahan is sticking to his guns by not playing them, instead going w/the guy that works hard. In his first year here he's got to establish control of the team & maintain some standards that will continue in the future, even if sometimes it means not putting the best guy out there. Shanny probably would like to play one of the other guys, but doesn't trust them. At least that's what I hope, cause Galloway just doesn't make much sense otherwise.

Some of us expected some changes out of the bye week but didn't get any. This game might bring some changes; LG & RG, WR, plus the whole D.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 03:18 PM   #12
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,584
Re: Redskins Eagles 2.0 Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCSkin View Post
Seems like Galloway was benched for Williams during the game. Although maybe that was due to the Skins being blown out. Might as well use Roydell as your third WR this week against the Titans. He did catch 50 balls for them one year and maybe that motivates him to perform this week...
Team was unhappy with Galloway about the route he ran, or failed to run, at the end of the first half that killed the Skins 2 TD momentum (granted they were still down 35-14) and resulted in a McNabb interception

Long overdue to get Galloway off the field
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 04:50 PM   #13
Playmaker
 
BDBohnzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Frederick, MD
Age: 35
Posts: 4,458
Re: Redskins Eagles 2.0 Reviews

With 2 young buck WRs sitting on the practice squad, I find it very hard to believe Galloway is still employed.
__________________
Bad Things man, I mean bad things...

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 04:55 PM   #14
Pro Bowl
 
SFREDSKIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pacifica, CA
Posts: 7,358
Re: Redskins Eagles 2.0 Reviews

Time to bring Austin, Davis and Cook from the PS, also start Riley. Let's see what they've got talent wise, they can't be worse than Galloway or our constantly injured RB's or shitty C.
__________________
Joe Gibbs- The best coach of all time, Lombardi trophy should be renamed Gibbs.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.


Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 05:30 PM   #15
Registered User
 
Landry44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 299
Re: Redskins Eagles 2.0 Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
I have a real hard time believing that Rocky can't play in the NFL. He's simply not an inside backer in a 3-4. He's not the type of guy to stand in there and take on blocks. Moore's a different story. 3 years after #21's death this team still doesn't have a replacement. But more importantly the probelms with this team is in the trenches, on both sides of the ball. Those are the areas that needs to be addressed in the draft.
We need to draft a qb in this up and coming draft. This team has way to many holes to just patch things up. We need to go into our rebuilding phase right now.
Landry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.50586 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25