Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Need Something Positive? Look back to History!

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2010, 12:14 PM   #1
Pro Bowl
 
skinsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina
Posts: 6,482
Need Something Positive? Look back to History!

Well, yes, it absolutely SUCKS that our team got demolished last Monday night. Also to add that we got demolished by a division opponent.

However, there is something to consider in order to keep our chins up.

I was having a "YouTube" moment the other night and found the 1991 NFC Championship game between our beloved Redskins and the Atlanta Falcons. Yes, this was the year of "Too Legit To Quit". This was the year where the Redskins demolished the Falcons...something like 56-17 or something to that effect, during the regular season. Anyway, did the Falcons pack up and call it a season after that? Nope....they still made the second round of the playoffs that year and played the Redskins a bit closer in the playoffs.

My point is, I think a team sometimes needs things like this to happen to wake them up and realize that there are repercussions to accepting mediocrity and it catches up to you after awhile. I think a team also needs things like this to happen to see who is going to quit on you and who isn't when the going gets tough. If anything, I think Monday's massacre makes it easier for Shanny and the coaching staff to see who is going to be playing here next year and who they are shipping out. All my opinion of course, but you never know..this could be the thing that scares this team into turning things around. OR, it could be the one that sends them into a tailspin, downward spiral....but hey, I like to think optimistically...LOL!
__________________
Not the same Skinsguy that posts on ES.
skinsguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-17-2010, 12:21 PM   #2
The Starter
 
SolidSnake84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Stephens City, VA
Posts: 1,859
Re: Need Something Positive? Look back to History!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy View Post
Well, yes, it absolutely SUCKS that our team got demolished last Monday night. Also to add that we got demolished by a division opponent.

However, there is something to consider in order to keep our chins up.

I was having a "YouTube" moment the other night and found the 1991 NFC Championship game between our beloved Redskins and the Atlanta Falcons. Yes, this was the year of "Too Legit To Quit". This was the year where the Redskins demolished the Falcons...something like 56-17 or something to that effect, during the regular season. Anyway, did the Falcons pack up and call it a season after that? Nope....they still made the second round of the playoffs that year and played the Redskins a bit closer in the playoffs.

My point is, I think a team sometimes needs things like this to happen to wake them up and realize that there are repercussions to accepting mediocrity and it catches up to you after awhile. I think a team also needs things like this to happen to see who is going to quit on you and who isn't when the going gets tough. If anything, I think Monday's massacre makes it easier for Shanny and the coaching staff to see who is going to be playing here next year and who they are shipping out. All my opinion of course, but you never know..this could be the thing that scares this team into turning things around. OR, it could be the one that sends them into a tailspin, downward spiral....but hey, I like to think optimistically...LOL!
I like your positive thinking, but the sad thing is, the Redskins keep getting blowed out like this over the years, with seemingly nothing changing. And I imagine the team learned absolutley nothing following their loss at the hands of the eagles.
__________________
Time to nut up or shut up
SolidSnake84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 12:25 PM   #3
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 80,418
Re: Need Something Positive? Look back to History!

Blowed out eh? Someone's been hanging around Emmitt Smith.

This team has handled adversity like this before, not sure how they couldn't learn anything after a loss like that.

Redskins Insider - Redskins try to regroup after Monday nightmare
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 12:34 PM   #4
Pro Bowl
 
Beemnseven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Virginia Beach
Age: 40
Posts: 5,293
Re: Need Something Positive? Look back to History!

During the 2005 playoff season we lost 36-0 to the Giants. So a bounce-back is possible. Problem is, that '05 team was more talented than this one, I think.

Every now and then, a team needs to have its pants yanked down for a good fanny-paddling. They got theirs the other night, in front of millions. Maybe that'll do the trick.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 12:41 PM   #5
Playmaker
 
Longtimefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Germantown, Md.
Posts: 4,832
Re: Need Something Positive? Look back to History!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
I like your positive thinking, but the sad thing is, the Redskins keep getting blowed out like this over the years, with seemingly nothing changing. And I imagine the team learned absolutley nothing following their loss at the hands of the eagles.
I have often wondered just what it is you can learn from a beat-down like that. I often hear both coaches and players using the phrase after a loss like that, but have yet to understand what it is you actually learn.
__________________
A revolution is coming and it will be televised.
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 12:48 PM   #6
Pro Bowl
 
skinsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina
Posts: 6,482
Re: Need Something Positive? Look back to History!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven View Post
During the 2005 playoff season we lost 36-0 to the Giants. So a bounce-back is possible. Problem is, that '05 team was more talented than this one, I think.

Every now and then, a team needs to have its pants yanked down for a good fanny-paddling. They got theirs the other night, in front of millions. Maybe that'll do the trick.

That's exactly what I'm thinking. I had just had the same conversation with a friend of mine at work (who is a diehard Eagles fan by the way.) I remembered the beating the Giants put on us back in that year, and the point where the team was like 5-6 before making a playoff run. Of course, there are a few things that are different but I think this team still has the talent to make some sort of a run. I just hope they have learned something from Monday night.
__________________
Not the same Skinsguy that posts on ES.
skinsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 12:48 PM   #7
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 80,418
Re: Need Something Positive? Look back to History!

It's a gut check/self evaluation type of learning experience. You find the true measure of a man during success and/or adversity. If someone comes out of that learning nothing about themselves, I think that's someone you don't want on your team.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 12:49 PM   #8
Pro Bowl
 
Beemnseven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Virginia Beach
Age: 40
Posts: 5,293
Re: Need Something Positive? Look back to History!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimefan
I have often wondered just what it is you can learn from a beat-down like that. I often hear both coaches and players using the phrase after a loss like that, but have yet to understand what it is you actually learn.

I think they learned what the outcome of a professional football game can be when one team shows up mentally and physically prepared, and the other team looks like it could care less, gives absolutely zero effort, and spends the first quarter daydreaming about their vacation during the bye week.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 12:53 PM   #9
Pro Bowl
 
skinsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina
Posts: 6,482
Re: Need Something Positive? Look back to History!

I'm thinking Shanahan has learned who wants to quit **cough cough Hanesworth** and who's willing to hang in there and play until the very end (London Fletcher.)

We need a team of London Fletchers on this team!
__________________
Not the same Skinsguy that posts on ES.
skinsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 12:56 PM   #10
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 80,418
Re: Need Something Positive? Look back to History!

I'm not even sure I buy the lack of effort thing, seems like a lame excuse the fans like to go to. Some of the players on Twitter were really taking offense to the idea they weren't playing hard.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 12:59 PM   #11
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: Need Something Positive? Look back to History!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
I like your positive thinking, but the sad thing is, the Redskins keep getting blowed out like this over the years, with seemingly nothing changing. And I imagine the team learned absolutley nothing following their loss at the hands of the eagles.
You really think that?
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 01:01 PM   #12
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: Need Something Positive? Look back to History!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
I'm not even sure I buy the lack of effort thing, seems like a lame excuse the fans like to go to. Some of the players on Twitter were really taking offense to the idea they weren't playing hard.
I thought the team played pretty hard through out the game.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 01:16 PM   #13
The Starter
 
SolidSnake84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Stephens City, VA
Posts: 1,859
Re: Need Something Positive? Look back to History!

Now see me, after it was clear the game was out of hand, i thought the players looked as though they didnt want to be there...
__________________
Time to nut up or shut up
SolidSnake84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 01:44 PM   #14
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 10,438
Re: Need Something Positive? Look back to History!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimefan View Post
I have often wondered just what it is you can learn from a beat-down like that. I often hear both coaches and players using the phrase after a loss like that, but have yet to understand what it is you actually learn.
You learn to wear a disguise in public.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 01:44 PM   #15
Playmaker
 
Longtimefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Germantown, Md.
Posts: 4,832
Re: Need Something Positive? Look back to History!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven View Post
I think they learned what the outcome of a professional football game can be when one team shows up mentally and physically prepared, and the other team looks like it could care less, gives absolutely zero effort, and spends the first quarter daydreaming about their vacation during the bye week.
These guys are supposed to be professionals, they should know the meaning of preperation and what it means to show-up ready to play. If they have to take a 59-28 beat down to learn the meaning of being a professional, then maybe they should go back to the level they played before they decided to call themselves professional. NE served up the last [learn from it] 54-7 a few years ago, some of those same players are still on the team saying the same thing.
__________________
A revolution is coming and it will be televised.
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.30108 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25