Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Michael Vick Wants to Get a Dog (Seriously)

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2010, 09:54 AM   #31
The Starter
 
CrustyRedskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: RatherbeinDC, TX
Posts: 2,417
Re: Michael Vick Wants to Get a Dog (Seriously)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerohero View Post
You guys are hilarious, these threads always bring out the worst analogy's. He never killed his pets, he was involved in local culture that was acceptable to most in area but also against law. I honestly don't think he regrets his decisions just that he got caught, but to play in the NFL he has to act the part now.

Having a family pet has nothing to do with dog fighting, however if he opened up a kennel that would be different. The "i hope the dog turns against him and drowns him" is real classy.
You got to give him some props for scratching and clawing his way back to the top.
__________________
I yearn......oh do I yearn, for a return to glory...
CrustyRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-16-2010, 09:57 AM   #32
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 80,440
Re: Michael Vick Wants to Get a Dog (Seriously)

Vick can own a dog, after his “supervised release” ends | ProFootballTalk
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:45 AM   #33
The Starter
 
TheSmurfs22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Staunton, VA
Posts: 1,077
Re: Michael Vick Wants to Get a Dog (Seriously)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsnut View Post
I don't think he should be a caregiver of any type....that includes people too.
This guy has a very violent background...the fact that they even let him play again is remarkable to me. The worst case scenario in coming back to the NFL was not that he would fail....it's that he would perform well and become a hero figure to the kids.
The NFL has too much of that already....think of a famous Raven and an ex buffalo bill RB off the top of my head.

Is the NFL so desperate for ratings that they needed to allow this guy on the field again?
What about all the wife beaters, etc?
What is the NFL saying....that it is ok to be violent, as long as you pay your dues you can come back?.....what kind of image is that.
Like it or not...NFL players become superstars and become role models to our kids who idolize them....if they learn their background, it normalizes the behavior.

I know most of you may not agree with me....(I'd love Vick's talent too)...but after much thought...I think the NFL should be much stricter with violent offenders than any other sport due to the violent nature of the game.
No ex convicts should ever be able to play the game again.....period.
~~~~~~
I agree with you Skinsnut. Yeah he did his time, but what is this message we are sending to kids? As a teacher I hear kids talk about Vick and they see nothing wrong with what he did. There was a great article in the Post a couple of weeks ago about Vick and how the media and NFL have pretty much glossed over this. It also brought up an interesting point that if it Vick been a lineman or less high profile position that Vick probably would have been banned for good.
__________________
F#$% the Cowpukes!
TheSmurfs22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:51 AM   #34
The Starter
 
TheSmurfs22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Staunton, VA
Posts: 1,077
Re: Michael Vick Wants to Get a Dog (Seriously)

The article was more of an editorial and it was by Nils Lofgren.
__________________
F#$% the Cowpukes!
TheSmurfs22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:01 AM   #35
Pro Bowl
 
53Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Posts: 7,391
Re: Michael Vick Wants to Get a Dog (Seriously)

Anyone who thinks Vick will fight dogs again is barking up the wrong tree.

Back atcha Lotus!
__________________
"Cautiously And Optimistically... Looking Forward To Change"
53Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:09 AM   #36
The Starter
 
SolidSnake84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Stephens City, VA
Posts: 1,859
Re: Michael Vick Wants to Get a Dog (Seriously)

I know what Vick did was henious i know. But what is wrong with our society that we want to ban a man from his profession FOR LIFE because of his dogfighting, but yet other NFL players who have committed murder against human beings, whether unintentional or intentional, people just gloss over and continue to embrace.

Has animal rights people really gave animals more rights/liberties than human beings? I think Vick already battles a negative stereotype, and I think people are just desperate to hate him for something, even though the man is more than remorseful of what he did. Like nobody else on here has done some things that we wish we could take back.
__________________
Time to nut up or shut up
SolidSnake84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:13 AM   #37
The Starter
 
SolidSnake84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Stephens City, VA
Posts: 1,859
Re: Michael Vick Wants to Get a Dog (Seriously)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsnut View Post
I don't think he should be a caregiver of any type....that includes people too.
This guy has a very violent background...the fact that they even let him play again is remarkable to me. The worst case scenario in coming back to the NFL was not that he would fail....it's that he would perform well and become a hero figure to the kids.
The NFL has too much of that already....think of a famous Raven and an ex buffalo bill RB off the top of my head.

Is the NFL so desperate for ratings that they needed to allow this guy on the field again?
What about all the wife beaters, etc?
What is the NFL saying....that it is ok to be violent, as long as you pay your dues you can come back?.....what kind of image is that.
Like it or not...NFL players become superstars and become role models to our kids who idolize them....if they learn their background, it normalizes the behavior.

I know most of you may not agree with me....(I'd love Vick's talent too)...but after much thought...I think the NFL should be much stricter with violent offenders than any other sport due to the violent nature of the game.
No ex convicts should ever be able to play the game again.....period.
I dont think it is so much the stance of the NFL as much as it is the belief in the United States of America, and maybe the justice system. The fact is this country is one where you can get a second chance. That's the beauty of america. I'm patriotic. What I'm saying is that you can break the law, be punished, and if you have been truly rehabilitated, then you will leave prison and embrace your second chance at freedom and living a lawful life. Many people squander their second chance, but I love the USA because we are given a second chance.

In some countries, there is no second chance. And it is obvious that Vick has been truly rehabilitated, he is sorry for what he's done, paid his punishment, and now wants to live his life and continue doing what he loves (NFL Football).
__________________
Time to nut up or shut up
SolidSnake84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:32 AM   #38
Impact Rookie
 
Coff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Halfmoon, NY
Posts: 531
Re: Michael Vick Wants to Get a Dog (Seriously)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
I dont think it is so much the stance of the NFL as much as it is the belief in the United States of America, and maybe the justice system. The fact is this country is one where you can get a second chance. That's the beauty of america. I'm patriotic. What I'm saying is that you can break the law, be punished, and if you have been truly rehabilitated, then you will leave prison and embrace your second chance at freedom and living a lawful life. Many people squander their second chance, but I love the USA because we are given a second chance.
I don't think it's really that uncommon in the rest of the world for people to go to prison for a certain period of time and then be released. In other words, I'm no so sure that's an American thing. Some might point out that it's the opposite since we incarcerate a higher percentage of our citizens than any country on earth, but that's not really pertinent in a discussion about second chances.

Regardless, in terms of rehabilitation, I think the problem most people have with it is that it's BS. It's not so much that people think Vick will do it again; but not doing it again doesn't constitute "rehabilitation." The fact is that most people on this planet would be literally incapable of enacting the cruelty upon animals that Vick enacted. The man exists on a different moral plane than the rest of us. Such morality can't be dictated through imprisoment. The idea of rehabilitation, in other words, is kind of a farce.

That being said, he has served his punishment and should be legally entitled to the same things as everyone else.

Last edited by Coff; 12-16-2010 at 12:56 PM.
Coff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:36 AM   #39
Playmaker
 
over the mountain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: baltimore
Posts: 3,180
Re: Michael Vick Wants to Get a Dog (Seriously)

yes, a pedophile by definition cannnot help themselves. but i wasnt saying vick = a pedophile. all i was saying is the focus should be on the person and their acts, not the victims. i was posting to point out that i dont think the focus should be on what value a dog has in our society.

whatever thoo, to each his own. im not going to be dismissive of what certain other posters think.
over the mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 03:57 PM   #40
Playmaker
 
Slingin Sammy 33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 4,317
Re: Michael Vick Wants to Get a Dog (Seriously)

I'm sure he's rehabed.....and had absolutely no knowledge or involvement in the shooting that happened at his (30th I think) B-Day party here in VB just a few months ago.

F Vick. I can't see how anyone can have an ounce of compassion for this cold-blooded, heartless PoS. The only remorse he has about his direct involvement (hands-on) in the torture and killing of dogs is that he got caught.

Yes, he served his time. Yes there are those in the NFL that have done worse. And every time he takes the field I hope he fails miserably or gets injured. And I'm no fan of Ray Lewis, Caruth, etc.
__________________
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 05:04 PM   #41
The Starter
 
skinsnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,213
Re: Michael Vick Wants to Get a Dog (Seriously)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
I know what Vick did was henious i know. But what is wrong with our society that we want to ban a man from his profession FOR LIFE because of his dogfighting, but yet other NFL players who have committed murder against human beings, whether unintentional or intentional, people just gloss over and continue to embrace.
3 points...

1. I agree that others with crimes against humans were not harsh enough.
(My position is that ex cons should not play in the NFL)

2. The issue of banning someone for LIFE from his profession because he is a violent felon is fairly universal. I am a Recruiter....believe me...if you have gone to jail for comitting a violent crime...your career is basically done....regardless of what it is....but especially in any position of visibility that represents the company/organization.....let me ask you this question....if Vick was interviewing for an office manager job...would you hire him....or someone that hasn't been to prison?
Let's be realistic.

3. Regarding forgiveness....I believe that forgiving someone for the wrongs that they are truly remorseful for is the right thing to do...however...it does not mean that the repercussions of the action vanish...Vick will and should pay the price for his actions long after he has been forgiven. Forgiving does not mean putting a foolish man with a violent past in a position to be a hero to our youth. Who is the fool now?

Let me ask a question....how many Haynesworth jerseys are being sold?
how many Vick?....who has done the worse wrong?
Being a jerk...vs violently murdering dogs..
Isn't that seriously screwed up?....kids buying Vick jersey's and bragging about how awesome he is?....and their father's feeding them that garbage?
Hopefully, Dad's in Philly are having a good sit down with their kids about Vick when their kids want a Vick jersey and explain why they shouldn't wear one.

I personally wish the guy well and hope he has learned..but I think the NFL "sold out" and are hypocrites for saying they won't tolerate violence or drugs...then let it continue and provide the benefit of fame and fortune to the worst violators. The NFL is dropping the ball in the name of money....really sad.

I wonder what the NCAA would do to a guy like Vick?
__________________
I hate Dallas...Period
skinsnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:13 PM   #42
Impact Rookie
 
BaltimoreSkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Reisterstown, MD
Posts: 893
Re: Michael Vick Wants to Get a Dog (Seriously)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
I dont think it is so much the stance of the NFL as much as it is the belief in the United States of America, and maybe the justice system. The fact is this country is one where you can get a second chance. That's the beauty of america. I'm patriotic. What I'm saying is that you can break the law, be punished, and if you have been truly rehabilitated, then you will leave prison and embrace your second chance at freedom and living a lawful life. Many people squander their second chance, but I love the USA because we are given a second chance.

In some countries, there is no second chance. And it is obvious that Vick has been truly rehabilitated, he is sorry for what he's done, paid his punishment, and now wants to live his life and continue doing what he loves (NFL Football).
I disagree with this statement. Vick is not rehabilitated. Prison is continually filled with repeat offenders who were once "rehabilitated" Why are they back? People don't want to hire ex cons. Ex cons are also barred from holding certain jobs period. Why was Vick able to make more of his second chance? He has genetically superior talents that other ex cons lack. He is intelligent enough to realize he has been given a second chance and will try not to screw it up. But rehabilitated? no way. You wouldn't allow a hand gun offender to go and purchase a gun, or a person who has been convicted of child abuse wouldn't be allowed to adopt a child. Very similar situation.
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:48 PM   #43
Pro Bowl
 
SirClintonPortis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,052
Re: Michael Vick Wants to Get a Dog (Seriously)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreSkins View Post
I disagree with this statement. Vick is not rehabilitated. Prison is continually filled with repeat offenders who were once "rehabilitated" Why are they back? People don't want to hire ex cons. Ex cons are also barred from holding certain jobs period. Why was Vick able to make more of his second chance? He has genetically superior talents that other ex cons lack. He is intelligent enough to realize he has been given a second chance and will try not to screw it up. But rehabilitated? no way. You wouldn't allow a hand gun offender to go and purchase a gun, or a person who has been convicted of child abuse wouldn't be allowed to adopt a child. Very similar situation.
So it's assured he's gonna start up another one of those dogfighting rings and once he pays off his creditors, there's going to be Bad Newz Kennelz 2.0. Gotcha. Because that's what he has to "rehab" out of his system.
__________________
Analysis using datasets (aka stats) is an attempt at reverse-engineering a player's "goodness".

Virtuosity remembered, douchebaggery forgotten.

The ideal character profile shoved down modern Western men and women's throats is Don Juan.
SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:30 PM   #44
Playmaker
 
mlmdub130's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 3,158
Re: Michael Vick Wants to Get a Dog (Seriously)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsnut View Post
3 points...

1. I agree that others with crimes against humans were not harsh enough.
(My position is that ex cons should not play in the NFL)

2. The issue of banning someone for LIFE from his profession because he is a violent felon is fairly universal. I am a Recruiter....believe me...if you have gone to jail for comitting a violent crime...your career is basically done....regardless of what it is....but especially in any position of visibility that represents the company/organization.....let me ask you this question....if Vick was interviewing for an office manager job...would you hire him....or someone that hasn't been to prison?
Let's be realistic.

3. Regarding forgiveness....I believe that forgiving someone for the wrongs that they are truly remorseful for is the right thing to do...however...it does not mean that the repercussions of the action vanish...Vick will and should pay the price for his actions long after he has been forgiven. Forgiving does not mean putting a foolish man with a violent past in a position to be a hero to our youth. Who is the fool now?

Let me ask a question....how many Haynesworth jerseys are being sold?
how many Vick?....who has done the worse wrong?
Being a jerk...vs violently murdering dogs..
Isn't that seriously screwed up?....kids buying Vick jersey's and bragging about how awesome he is?....and their father's feeding them that garbage?
Hopefully, Dad's in Philly are having a good sit down with their kids about Vick when their kids want a Vick jersey and explain why they shouldn't wear one.

I personally wish the guy well and hope he has learned..but I think the NFL "sold out" and are hypocrites for saying they won't tolerate violence or drugs...then let it continue and provide the benefit of fame and fortune to the worst violators. The NFL is dropping the ball in the name of money....really sad.

I wonder what the NCAA would do to a guy like Vick?
we already found out, you forget about marcus? great post btw. i'm in the same boat as you the biggest culprit is the nfl. they claim to be hardass but contradict themselves almost every day
__________________
"I don't think anybody should have regrets, especially me, ... You don't regret what you do in your life. If you do it, you do it for a reason."

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:47 PM   #45
Contains football related knowledge
 
JoeRedskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Second Star On The Right
Age: 51
Posts: 8,472
Re: Michael Vick Wants to Get a Dog (Seriously)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirClintonPortis View Post
So it's assured he's gonna start up another one of those dogfighting rings and once he pays off his creditors, there's going to be Bad Newz Kennelz 2.0. Gotcha. Because that's what he has to "rehab" out of his system.
Generally, real rehabilitation requires more than merely "doing your time". It means exhibiting a change of heart over a long period of time such that people can reasonably and credibly trust that you will not relapse into the problem behavior. IMO, other than for long term prisoners, rehabilitation doesn't really even begin until a person reenters society. Only then can the individual begin to compile the evidence that they have had a true change of heart.

To me, that's the key for Vick. Let's see how he does after the fame and glory go away. Is he still concerned about doing the right thing? Does he maintain his good works? Only after an extended period of time can we tell if Vick has truly rehabilitated himself and agreed to conform to societal norms.

BTW - As others have stated, excellent post skinsnut. I particularly agree with point No. 3, and, also, with the NFL's hypocrisy when it comes to violent behavior.
__________________
You aren't worth the water in my spit but, maybe, just maybe, you're worth the lead in my shotgun.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.34623 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25