Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


A look back at the 2008 draft

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2010, 09:28 PM   #61
F the Shannys

 
CrazyCanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,879
Re: A look back at the 2008 draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Davis had a much better 40 time than Cooley did coming out of college
He could be faster than DG for all I know but he looks slow out there to me. Cooley gets upfield ten times quicker and more efficiently IMO.

86 is in my doghouse.
CrazyCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-17-2010, 09:34 PM   #62
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: A look back at the 2008 draft

Our offensive MVP this year, in my eyes, is Anthony Armstrong. Could have been Keiland Williams with a more inclusive role, could have been Trent Williams with better health, but AA is our best offensive player based entirely on the last 13 games.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 11:39 PM   #63
Pro Bowl
 
SirClintonPortis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,052
Re: A look back at the 2008 draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCanuck View Post
He could be faster than DG for all I know but he looks slow out there to me. Cooley gets upfield ten times quicker and more efficiently IMO.

86 is in my doghouse.
It's clear your biases are clouding your vision. I once looked down on Keiland as clumsy, but at least I took off the blinders soon enough.
__________________
Analysis using datasets (aka stats) is an attempt at reverse-engineering a player's "goodness".

Virtuosity remembered, douchebaggery forgotten.

The ideal character profile shoved down modern Western men and women's throats is Don Juan.
SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 05:04 AM   #64
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 29
Posts: 14,522
Re: A look back at the 2008 draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Our offensive MVP this year, in my eyes, is Anthony Armstrong. Could have been Keiland Williams with a more inclusive role, could have been Trent Williams with better health, but AA is our best offensive player based entirely on the last 13 games.
My nod goes to Ryan Torrain. When he's been on the field he's been simply unstoppable. All to often I would see him run into what looks like a pile of defenders only to see him come out clean on the other side. Sometimes he would accomplish this by being elusive other times it was done by simply bulldozing opponents.
__________________
6.67Χ10−11 m3 kg−1 s−2

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 09:27 AM   #65
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,278
Re: A look back at the 2008 draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag359 View Post
My nod goes to Ryan Torrain. When he's been on the field he's been simply unstoppable. All to often I would see him run into what looks like a pile of defenders only to see him come out clean on the other side. Sometimes he would accomplish this by being elusive other times it was done by simply bulldozing opponents.
I'm really looking forward to seeing what he can do next year. If he can just stay healthy he could put up some nice numbers.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 10:01 AM   #66
The Starter
 
drew54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: IOWA
Age: 31
Posts: 1,290
Re: A look back at the 2008 draft

Earlier discussion about the upcoming draft got me thinking. So as it stands right now 2011 Draft, Redskins have :

1 Round
2 Round
5 Round
5 Round (Saints)
6 Round
6 Round (Colts)
7 Round
__________________
No pressure, no diamonds.
drew54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 10:27 AM   #67
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,636
Re: A look back at the 2008 draft

The Redskins have a pick from the Colts, but I'm not positive it's a 6th rounder, might be 7th
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 10:34 AM   #68
The Starter
 
drew54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: IOWA
Age: 31
Posts: 1,290
Re: A look back at the 2008 draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
The Redskins have a pick from the Colts, but I'm not positive it's a 6th rounder, might be 7th
With the Colts, even their 6th rounder is basically a 7th.
__________________
No pressure, no diamonds.
drew54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 02:23 PM   #69
Playmaker
 
SouperMeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Leesburg, VA
Age: 50
Posts: 3,075
Re: A look back at the 2008 draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCtoAZ View Post
ok well .... this is why we hired Bruce Allen .... give him a f*cking 3 year plan ... i'm SICK OF BITCHING ABOUT THE PAST ... BLAH BLAH BLAH ... let's get this regime some time ... they are great in franchise mode on Madden 11 so i'm assuming this will work ? I won 2 Super Bowls w/ Shanny and McNabb ... the game doesn't lie people
Fine, give him a 3 year plan, but Shanallen already have a huge swing and miss with McNabb being one and done. There were some excellent Safeties still on the board when Philly used our 2nd rounder to grab one of them (Nate Allen). Taylor Mays was drafted a little later.
SouperMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 03:03 PM   #70
Pro Bowl
 
SirClintonPortis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,052
Re: A look back at the 2008 draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouperMeister View Post
Fine, give him a 3 year plan, but Shanallen already have a huge swing and miss with McNabb being one and done. There were some excellent Safeties still on the board when Philly used our 2nd rounder to grab one of them (Nate Allen). Taylor Mays was drafted a little later.
Or we could have taken Terrence Cody, even though he was a late 2nd rounder. Instead, Baltimore now has TWO excellent nose tackles in Ngata and Cody and could let Ngata walk, trade him for something nice, etc.
__________________
Analysis using datasets (aka stats) is an attempt at reverse-engineering a player's "goodness".

Virtuosity remembered, douchebaggery forgotten.

The ideal character profile shoved down modern Western men and women's throats is Don Juan.
SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 03:40 PM   #71
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: A look back at the 2008 draft

I think we can point to everything in the past for whats wrong with this team and I include the 4 yrs with Gibbs here. He should have stuck to racing
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 06:32 PM   #72
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,278
Re: A look back at the 2008 draft

Yet Gibbs did something no one else has been able to do under Snyder, multiple playoff appearances.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 07:51 PM   #73
Pro Bowl
 
SirClintonPortis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,052
Re: A look back at the 2008 draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Yet Gibbs did something no one else has been able to do under Snyder, multiple playoff appearances.
And yet the roster we have today still has some players from his comeback tour. Those who left...declined fast. Certainly not what Seifert inherited in San Francisco.
__________________
Analysis using datasets (aka stats) is an attempt at reverse-engineering a player's "goodness".

Virtuosity remembered, douchebaggery forgotten.

The ideal character profile shoved down modern Western men and women's throats is Don Juan.
SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 11:40 AM   #74
Playmaker
 
mlmpetert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Richmond
Posts: 3,257
Re: A look back at the 2008 draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
They say you need to give a draft class 3 years to fairly judge it, well let's look at the 2008 draft and see where it stands.

Devin Thomas - gone
Malcolm Kelly - IR
Fred Davis - 2nd TE
Chad Rinehart - gone
Justin Tryon - gone
Durant Brooks - gone
Kareem Moore - starting
Colt Brennan - gone
Rob Jackson - PS
Chris Horton - backup

Moore is the only guy currently starting and he's nothing special, Horton has been a decent reserve/spot starter, Jackson is still hanging on by a string on the PS, and Kelly is on IR. Davis is the only one of the bunch who's at least show he has a bright future, when utilized of course.

The rest of the guys are gone.

And we wonder why we have no depth right now.

For comparison sake i thought it would be nice to look at Denver's and Tampa’s 2008 draft. We had the 21st pick while Denver had 12 so obviously you would think that the overall talent level would be higher but since we swapped so much and had 3 picks in the 2nd I think everyone minus Ryan Clady was basically obtainable (for comparison sake) for us. Tampa had the 20th pick.

Denver
Ryan Clady (lt) - An absolute beast LT – I hope TW does as well.
Eddie Royal (wr) – decent receiver
Kory Lichtensteiger (c/g) – cut now w/ us
Jack Williams (cb) – don’t really know anything about him I think he’s a nickel corner though
Ryan Torain (rb) – cut now w/ us
Carlton Powell (dt) – blew his achilies in training camp his first year, most recently with the UFL
Spencer Larsen (olb/fb) – seems like a Lorenzo Alexander type
Josh Barrett (safety) – backup safety “stolen” by the patriots when he went though ir waivers
Peyton Hillis (rb) – not sure what happened to him??

Tampa
Aqib Talib (cb) - beast corner with anger management issues
Dexter Jackson (wr) – cut, bust receiver drafted because of his speed
Jeremy Zuttah (c) – upgrade over Rabach
Dre Moore (dt) – I remember a lot of people wanting him around here. We can still get him; hes on Jacksonville PS
Josh Johnson (qb) – backup QB
Geno Hayes (lb) – decent lb
Cory Boyd (rb) – cut, Shanahan checked him out after he was released and subsequently released him. Currently in the CFL


Also something that really pissed me and a lot of other people off about our 2008 draft was that every single player earned a roster spot on our team. I remember being absolutely pissed when Leigh Torrance was released and Tyron was kept. I think the same was true with a lot of people when we kept Brooks over Frost, when Frost preformed a little better then Brooks in preseason.

I dont think this realyl tells us anything, other then reconfirming the notion that Shanahan knows how to draft RB's but i think its neat to look at.
mlmpetert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 11:43 AM   #75
MVP
 
mooby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NoVa
Age: 26
Posts: 11,840
Re: A look back at the 2008 draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmpetert View Post
For comparison sake i thought it would be nice to look at Denver's and Tampa’s 2008 draft. We had the 21st pick while Denver had 12 so obviously you would think that the overall talent level would be higher but since we swapped so much and had 3 picks in the 2nd I think everyone minus Ryan Clady was basically obtainable (for comparison sake) for us. Tampa had the 20th pick.

Denver
Ryan Clady (lt) - An absolute beast LT – I hope TW does as well.
Eddie Royal (wr) – decent receiver
Kory Lichtensteiger (c/g) – cut now w/ us
Jack Williams (cb) – don’t really know anything about him I think he’s a nickel corner though
Ryan Torain (rb) – cut now w/ us
Carlton Powell (dt) – blew his achilies in training camp his first year, most recently with the UFL
Spencer Larsen (olb/fb) – seems like a Lorenzo Alexander type
Josh Barrett (safety) – backup safety “stolen” by the patriots when he went though ir waivers
Peyton Hillis (rb) – not sure what happened to him??

Tampa
Aqib Talib (cb) - beast corner with anger management issues
Dexter Jackson (wr) – cut, bust receiver drafted because of his speed
Jeremy Zuttah (c) – upgrade over Rabach
Dre Moore (dt) – I remember a lot of people wanting him around here. We can still get him; hes on Jacksonville PS
Josh Johnson (qb) – backup QB
Geno Hayes (lb) – decent lb
Cory Boyd (rb) – cut, Shanahan checked him out after he was released and subsequently released him. Currently in the CFL


Also something that really pissed me and a lot of other people off about our 2008 draft was that every single player earned a roster spot on our team. I remember being absolutely pissed when Leigh Torrance was released and Tyron was kept. I think the same was true with a lot of people when we kept Brooks over Frost, when Frost preformed a little better then Brooks in preseason.

I dont think this realyl tells us anything, other then reconfirming the notion that Shanahan knows how to draft RB's but i think its neat to look at.
lolllllll.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.32233 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25