Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Snyder Camp Upset!!

Redskins Locker Room


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2011, 03:32 PM   #256
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,341
Re: Snyder Camp Upset!!

I remember this last year and he was also on Mike Wise....and if I remember correctly he didn't have very nice things to say about Snyder. But like I said, it's water under the bridge.
skinsfan69 is offline  

Advertisements
Old 02-04-2011, 03:36 PM   #257
MVP
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,365
Re: Snyder Camp Upset!!

My initial Cooke comment was tinged with sarcasm, but please that article is a puff piece from the Post at a time when Snyder was on the ropes and they were pulling no punches. Cooke had every opportunity to be the winning bidder, his Dad could have changed the will at any time to give his son additional chances but he didn't.

After he lost the team, what did Cooke do, he went to Bermuda and sat on the beach for several years. Who knows how he would have run the team, but nothing in that article, or his actions at the time convince me that he would have been any better or worse of an owner. Different yes, but better I dunno.

Personally that article sounds like a petulant son who thought he should have everything and when he didn't get it he got mad at the man who did. You notice in the article that Snyder said he was going to give the team to his son, I imagine that that royally ticked Cooke off towards Snyder.

Do you really think he would ever come out and give DS any credit regardless of the team's situation?
__________________
Dirtbag59, sending songs to oblivion 1 writer at a time.
CRedskinsRule is offline  
Old 02-04-2011, 03:38 PM   #258
Pro Bowl
 
skinsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina
Posts: 6,484
Re: Snyder Camp Upset!!

Excellent article! I'm now depressed!
__________________
Not the same Skinsguy that posts on ES.
skinsguy is offline  
Old 02-04-2011, 03:44 PM   #259
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 80,440
Re: Snyder Camp Upset!!

Think about this, under Snyder the team has gone 86-106. That basically averages out to an average of just over 7 wins per year.

So if you don't think things could have been worse under another owner consider that during the same time the Lions averaged under 4.6 wins, the Cardinals 6, the Bills 6.75, the Browns 5.3, the Raiders 6.5, etc.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline  
Old 02-04-2011, 03:45 PM   #260
Special Teams
 
juskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 185
Re: Snyder Camp Upset!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkFan4Life View Post
That's your problem. It's not the NFL's fault. You should really blame Jack kent Cooke for not leaving the team to his son as opposed to making it so that the team would be put up for sale so that your charity could get more money. Really you kind of should be happy because JKC's charity got more money because Snyder "overpaid" for the team. It was an omen to me just how much this team was worth, or how important it was for one to own it.

So I say blame Jack Kent Cooke, because had he just left the team to his son then we would've won 7 Super Bowls by now right ?

No, it was another flamboyant owner (JKC) over rating his demeanor and his place in life. I think Mr. Cook was saying to his sons, I bought the Washington Redskins with the money I earned. If one of my sons wants ownership of this team, they will have to find a way to buy it on their own merit. Not from heritability. I will bequeath you, John, an investment that you can parlay with other investors to buy the team that I will sell to you or whomever. I wish it did not have to be parsed out that way but I had nothing to do with it or nor did any other fan have a say about it.

I really think a cleaver lawyer can find a way to sue the NFL and Snyder for Dan's ownership of this team. If they did not win the suit, they would bring public opinion down on Mr. Snyder. I know you are saying "dream on" but the point being the entire process of finding the "right" owner was done with fixing the salable market of the Washington Redskins organization so that the NFL would profit by it.

I have bitten my tongue by supporting Snyder for many years. But, there comes a time when enough is enough with Dan. He has brought this franchise down and made it a laughing stock of the NFL.

By you claiming to support Dan Snyder is a let down from one fan to another. Surely, you just.

Yes, Dan Snyder over paid for this organization for his own greed and was not thinking of JKC's beloved charity - not my charity, as you alluded to.

If the response was close to half in support of the law suit and half in opposition to the law suit then I could see why you would throw your hat in Dan's corner. But to be the lone wolf in the forest howling by your lonesome should say something other than your supposedly support for Snyder is a little suspicious, don't you think?

Dan Snyder is a bad owner, period. I am fed up with the one liner "that Dan just wants to win", BS. If he just wants to win then sell the team. Of course that won't happen. We are stuck with this dollar maniac. This is not a rant against anyone who has wealth, not at all. But I am sick and tried of fans saying Dan is a passionate owner. My ass he is.
juskins is offline  
Old 02-04-2011, 03:51 PM   #261
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 80,440
Re: Snyder Camp Upset!!

Sue him for owning the team? That sounds even more ridiculous than Snyder's suit with the city paper.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline  
Old 02-04-2011, 03:56 PM   #262
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,341
Re: Snyder Camp Upset!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Come on what? You named Stubby and Big Daddy as shining examples of John's work. Tell me they weren't busts.

Put Snyder aside for a moment... How can you say without question we would have been better off with John as owner??

Just wondering why you have so much confidence in that thought?

You really don't think there's any chance we could have been worse off W/L wise?
I was making an example that John Cooke would spend money, which he did. Right? We'd be winning more games cause we'd be a professional organization. From top to bottom. Professionals would be running the team. Not Vinny Cerrato and co. Professionals would be picking the players and putting a TEAM together. Not a fantasy team a REAL team. I'm sure someone has John's interview with Wise but he said it himself. He'd let the scouts and front office people do their thing. He'd have a competent head coach, not colleges coaches that didn't practice in bad weather, or a quirky QB coach with no OC experience. All that shows me there would be more wins. Oh, and I can promise you he wouldn't have shit on the fans.
skinsfan69 is offline  
Old 02-04-2011, 04:01 PM   #263
The Starter
 
MonkFan4Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Age: 37
Posts: 1,840
Re: Snyder Camp Upset!!

SUE HIM FOR OWNING THE TEAM ?

HAAAAAAAAAAAAA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA !

You guys are HIL-AR-IOUS !!!!!

Christ, is this where we have gone. So they would start with Dan ? Ralph Wilson gets a pass huh ?

Look, we can sit and read the article making John Cooke out to be a victim but the fact is that (if juhskins' theory is correct which I agree with in a way) he got into a bidding war for a business and he lost. Period.

He wasn't quite the model for a kick ass owner at the time either. Under HIS watch, we brought in James Washington, Stanley Richard, Carl Banks, Alvin Harper, and lets not go to the AWESOME drafts that Charlie Casserly blessed us with. Shit happens and it happened to us after Joe Gibbs retired the first time.
__________________
Catch me on YouTube !

http://www.youtube.com/user/DowntimeRB?feature=mhw5

The "punishment" by the league : "It's like getting a ticket for going too fast on a road a week ago and they changed the speed limit today"
MonkFan4Life is offline  
Old 02-04-2011, 04:02 PM   #264
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,341
Re: Snyder Camp Upset!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
My initial Cooke comment was tinged with sarcasm, but please that article is a puff piece from the Post at a time when Snyder was on the ropes and they were pulling no punches. Cooke had every opportunity to be the winning bidder, his Dad could have changed the will at any time to give his son additional chances but he didn't.

After he lost the team, what did Cooke do, he went to Bermuda and sat on the beach for several years. Who knows how he would have run the team, but nothing in that article, or his actions at the time convince me that he would have been any better or worse of an owner. Different yes, but better I dunno.

Personally that article sounds like a petulant son who thought he should have everything and when he didn't get it he got mad at the man who did. You notice in the article that Snyder said he was going to give the team to his son, I imagine that that royally ticked Cooke off towards Snyder.

Do you really think he would ever come out and give DS any credit regardless of the team's situation?
Winning bidder? With what? He didn't have the money. His dad only left him 15 or 20 mil. His dad simply didn't want him to have the team. He got 10% of the sale which turned out to be 80 mil cause he owned a small part but he simply didn't have the cash. Snyder did and won fair and square.
skinsfan69 is offline  
Old 02-04-2011, 04:04 PM   #265
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 80,440
Re: Snyder Camp Upset!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
I was making an example that John Cooke would spend money, which he did. Right? We'd be winning more games cause we'd be a professional organization. From top to bottom. Professionals would be running the team. Not Vinny Cerrato and co. Professionals would be picking the players and putting a TEAM together. Not a fantasy team a REAL team. I'm sure someone has John's interview with Wise but he said it himself. He'd let the scouts and front office people do their thing. He'd have a competent head coach, not colleges coaches that didn't practice in bad weather, or a quirky QB coach with no OC experience. All that shows me there would be more wins. Oh, and I can promise you he wouldn't have shit on the fans.
You've got some crystal ball there...

All the stuff you're talking about is in the past though. Don't we have pros in place running things now?
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline  
Old 02-04-2011, 04:06 PM   #266
MVP
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,365
Re: Snyder Camp Upset!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by juskins View Post
No, it was another flamboyant owner (JKC) over rating his demeanor and his place in life. I think Mr. Cook was saying to his sons, I bought the Washington Redskins with the money I earned. If one of my sons wants ownership of this team, they will have to find a way to buy it on their own merit. Not from heritability. I will bequeath you, John, an investment that you can parlay with other investors to buy the team that I will sell to you or whomever. I wish it did not have to be parsed out that way but I had nothing to do with it or nor did any other fan have a say about it.

I really think a cleaver lawyer can find a way to sue the NFL and Snyder for Dan's ownership of this team. If they did not win the suit, they would bring public opinion down on Mr. Snyder. I know you are saying "dream on" but the point being the entire process of finding the "right" owner was done with fixing the salable market of the Washington Redskins organization so that the NFL would profit by it.

I have bitten my tongue by supporting Snyder for many years. But, there comes a time when enough is enough with Dan. He has brought this franchise down and made it a laughing stock of the NFL.

By you claiming to support Dan Snyder is a let down from one fan to another. Surely, you just.

Yes, Dan Snyder over paid for this organization for his own greed and was not thinking of JKC's beloved charity - not my charity, as you alluded to.

If the response was close to half in support of the law suit and half in opposition to the law suit then I could see why you would throw your hat in Dan's corner. But to be the lone wolf in the forest howling by your lonesome should say something other than your supposedly support for Snyder is a little suspicious, don't you think?

Dan Snyder is a bad owner, period. I am fed up with the one liner "that Dan just wants to win", BS. If he just wants to win then sell the team. Of course that won't happen. We are stuck with this dollar maniac. This is not a rant against anyone who has wealth, not at all. But I am sick and tried of fans saying Dan is a passionate owner. My ass he is.
I am just as sick of fans who, having (most likely) little clue of the complexities of owning an NFL franchise, sit and berate another lifelong Redskin fan(which DS by all accounts is) because he had a chance to come in, and own the team. I swear that any fan who came in would have been the same little boy in the candy shop and bought up all the big names he could. BUT, fact is we don't own the team, and we can't understand the overall plan, and many new owners go through long transitions (JJ may have won quick, but his Cowboys had had a longer playoff losing streak than us), and I believe we have seen a positive trend in DS' understanding of being an NFL owner, and particularly the owner of the Washington Redskins. It's ridiculous to blast out hate on this guy but it happens because his actions/inactions are subject to INTENSE scrutiny by passionate fans and the rabid press.

In the end, you are entitled to hate DS, that's fine, but it's grass is greener thinking that any other serious competitor to own the Skins would have done any better or have been a more passionate owner.
__________________
Dirtbag59, sending songs to oblivion 1 writer at a time.
CRedskinsRule is offline  
Old 02-04-2011, 04:07 PM   #267
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,587
Re: Snyder Camp Upset!!

I'm not going to say much here because I'm still pretty livid about previous accusations sent my way (won't sue anyone though, so don't worry), but just wanted to point out a couple of things a) in the year and change I was around the team when John Kent Cooke was around it was pretty obvious he wasn't all that respected (and I've had many former players it was like that during the 80s/early 90s, that he was kept out of most major decisions regarding the team). Some may say that's what we need right now of course. Right? A guy who just writes checks and sits in a corner.

Secondly, just to remind people John Kent Cooke put up an offer of close to $700 million. But Howard Millstein and his group (of which Snyder was a minority owner) outbid them with an $800 million bid. The owners didn't approve the deal because of concerns of how debt-heavy Milstein's bid would be, and also because they wanted to keep the team in John Kent Cooke's hands (this campaign if I recall correctly was spearheaded by Cooke himself and Pat Bowlen), even though the trustees of Papa Cooke's estate had already agreed to sell to Millstein's group. Ultimately enough owners voted to sell the team to Milstein's group, but this time with Snyder as the majority owner.

That's all. Nothing else to say.
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline  
Old 02-04-2011, 04:11 PM   #268
MVP
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,365
Re: Snyder Camp Upset!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Winning bidder? With what? He didn't have the money. His dad only left him 15 or 20 mil. His dad simply didn't want him to have the team. He got 10% of the sale which turned out to be 80 mil cause he owned a small part but he simply didn't have the cash. Snyder did and won fair and square.
In the Post Article, Cooke said he came up with a proposal for $750 million that he had been told would be enough. It wasn't, but if JKC had had some change of heart that made him want to guarantee his son got it, he could have put stipulations that any non family bidder would have to put up an additional fee to secure the Redskins tradition. Or some other type of financial mumbo jumbo that virtually assured JKC that his son would win the bidding.

He didn't, and Cooke is probably still bitter about that.

And yes DS won fair and square, and how funny it would be had John gotten it that I can imagine this same forum having articles on why we all wished DS had gotten it. The other path ALWAYS looks better.
__________________
Dirtbag59, sending songs to oblivion 1 writer at a time.
CRedskinsRule is offline  
Old 02-04-2011, 04:12 PM   #269
Special Teams
 
juskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 185
Re: Snyder Camp Upset!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Sue him for owning the team? That sounds even more ridiculous than Snyder's suit with the city paper.

Its called collusion, connivance to control the sale of a franchise with a willing party. It is not frivolous law suit, it happens all the time. Known as fixing the market, etc.
juskins is offline  
Old 02-04-2011, 04:28 PM   #270
Playmaker
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 4,961
Re: Snyder Camp Upset!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I'm not going to say much here because I'm still pretty livid about previous accusations sent my way (won't sue anyone though, so don't worry), but just wanted to point out a couple of things a) in the year and change I was around the team when John Kent Cooke was around it was pretty obvious he wasn't all that respected (and I've had many former players it was like that during the 80s/early 90s, that he was kept out of most major decisions regarding the team). Some may say that's what we need right now of course. Right? A guy who just writes checks and sits in a corner.

Secondly, just to remind people John Kent Cooke put up an offer of close to $700 million. But Howard Millstein and his group (of which Snyder was a minority owner) outbid them with an $800 million bid. The owners didn't approve the deal because of concerns of how debt-heavy Milstein's bid would be, and also because they wanted to keep the team in John Kent Cooke's hands (this campaign if I recall correctly was spearheaded by Cooke himself and Pat Bowlen), even though the trustees of Papa Cooke's estate had already agreed to sell to Millstein's group. Ultimately enough owners voted to sell the team to Milstein's group, but this time with Snyder as the majority owner.

That's all. Nothing else to say.
SS, this is a question .I heard it just as you say but Ted's group was not given the same option I heard an that caused some riffs?
Giantone is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.38345 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25