Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Football Outsiders: Worst rated CBs in the NFL in 2010 (DeAngelo ranked #2)

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2011, 10:40 PM   #46
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Football Outsiders: Worst rated CBs in the NFL in 2010 (DeAngelo ranked #2)

This is why I believe people need to stop making excuses for Hall:

He signed with us around his 25th birthday, and even though he was jettisoned from Oakland, he was a good pickup for the rest of that season (though Vinny cut valuable depth at the same position to get him), because he played really well and Smoot was a big problem. It's not Hall's fault that Vinny overpaid the market for Hall.

But he turned 26 in 2009 and 27 in 2010. And he wasn't good either year. Theoretically, however, those should have been his best years in coverage. If Hall was capable of playing with the focus he showed in the 2008 season for us, he might have justified his contract value. But this guy was a first round talent who two organizations gave up on. The fact that Vinny paid out and Hall went back to being the player he always was shouldn't have come as a surprise.

Either that's a character flaw in Hall - he can only focus on the task at hand when money is an issue, or it's not a flaw in character, but that his lack of game to game focus is more of who DeAngelo Hall is -- and has always been.

And neither line of reasoning is going to save the Redskins pass defense next year. That will take drastic measures: separating from the poor performers and aggressively trying to replace them with young talent in the front seven. Of course, that would all come at the expense of the offense, which is why I believe Hall will uphold the status quo for one more season.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-19-2011, 10:40 PM   #47
Living Legend
 
skinsfaninok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Oklahoma City (Originally from Biloxi, Ms)
Age: 27
Posts: 16,356
Re: Football Outsiders: Worst rated CBs in the NFL in 2010 (DeAngelo ranked #2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44ever View Post
I didn't hear anyone complaining about our season opener.

DeAngelo Hall returned a fumble for a score and Graham Gano kicked two field goals, as the Redskins held on to edge the Cowboys, 13-7.

We can all thank D.Hall for the only win of the season that actually counted for anything. (Beating the Cowboys)



NO 44! Hall haters don't care if he beat Dallas remember?????????
__________________
THUNDER UP

"if you're good at something, never do it for free"- The Joker

skinsfaninok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 10:46 PM   #48
Franchise Player
 
SFREDSKIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pacifica, CA
Posts: 7,897
Re: Football Outsiders: Worst rated CBs in the NFL in 2010 (DeAngelo ranked #2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
NO 44! Hall haters don't care if he beat Dallas remember?????????
And Gano had 3 game winning FG's.
__________________
Joe Gibbs- The best coach of all time, Lombardi trophy should be renamed Gibbs.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.


Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 10:48 PM   #49
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Football Outsiders: Worst rated CBs in the NFL in 2010 (DeAngelo ranked #2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
NO 44! Hall haters don't care if he beat Dallas remember?????????
Wasn't Hall the only player to allow a TD pass in that game?
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 10:49 PM   #50
Living Legend
 
skinsfaninok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Oklahoma City (Originally from Biloxi, Ms)
Age: 27
Posts: 16,356
Re: Football Outsiders: Worst rated CBs in the NFL in 2010 (DeAngelo ranked #2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Wasn't Hall the only player to allow a TD pass in that game?
Yes to Austin but he still made the biggest play of the game..
__________________
THUNDER UP

"if you're good at something, never do it for free"- The Joker

skinsfaninok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 10:54 PM   #51
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Football Outsiders: Worst rated CBs in the NFL in 2010 (DeAngelo ranked #2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Yes to Austin but he still made the biggest play of the game..
He did do that.

Surely though, the heroics in that game belong to Brian Orakpo. If any one player beat Dallas in that game, it was 98.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 03:59 AM   #52
The Starter
 
Swarley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Age: 25
Posts: 1,035
Re: Football Outsiders: Worst rated CBs in the NFL in 2010 (DeAngelo ranked #2)

I for one, saw what I expected from dhall in pass coverage this year. An up and down player. I'm fine with it though because we clearly are starving for players on D that can take anything the other way.

What I didnt expect from Dhall was just how much his tackling improved. He made a ton of key tackles and for the most part was one of the better tacklers on our team. Crazy that I'm saying that about DeAngelo.... lol
Swarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 06:02 AM   #53
Special Teams
 
bedlamVR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 389
Re: Football Outsiders: Worst rated CBs in the NFL in 2010 (DeAngelo ranked #2)

I think the hate for D Hall is way out of hand . He is what he always has been a gambler . The problem is last season is the D as a whole was not clicking . If you have a gambler like Hall out there you need a mop up FS which is what we were missing so Halls misses don't kill you .

The reason I think we should resign Rogers is because he is a decent complement to Hall .

Barnes - I really don't understand the love . He is a 3rd year player who got to start 4 games in his career all at FS . Tyron was better .
bedlamVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 02:12 PM   #54
MVP
 
NC_Skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 11,218
Re: Football Outsiders: Worst rated CBs in the NFL in 2010 (DeAngelo ranked #2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44ever View Post
DeAngelo Hall returned a fumble for a score and Graham Gano kicked two field goals, as the Redskins held on to edge the Cowboys, 13-7.

We can all thank D.Hall for the only win of the season that actually counted for anything. (Beating the Cowboys)
It was D. Hall that gave up their one score. Also, on the last play of the game, Roy Williams scored a game winning touchdown that was negated by a holding call. If they were in fact playing zone, guess who got beat again? Yup. DeAngelo Hall.

Also, the mere fact he recovered a fumble recovery is pure luck. The act of stripping it is skill, the fumble recovery is pure luck. Regardless, it wasn't his abilities as a Cover Corner that scored that TD.

So we can thank D. Hall for the win and just disregard Gano FG's?


Quote:
Originally Posted by jamf View Post
Revis and Newman are on the list too. I would love to have both of those guys.

The Redskins had very little pressure all year and the worst free safety play in the league. I'm shocked that Rogers isn't on the list...
You realize that Revis was ranked #1 in success rate.
FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | Best Cornerback Charting Stats 2010

He only rated bad on YAC. He doesn't give up much, but seems that WRs get yards after the catch to a tune of 4.7. He still only gave up a outstanding 5.6 yards per pass. D. Hall didnt' sniff the top stats on any of the "Best of" list. He did however manage to be top 3 in all the worst categories.

As far as the Cowboys, you realize they rank poorly in pass defense right? (26th in 2010, and 20th in 2009)This coincides with the rankings as well.
NFL Stats: by Team Category

I posted stats in the other D. Hall thread from the 2007 season I believe that showed C. Rogers being one of the best in terms of coverage.
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 02:22 PM   #55
Inactive
 
KLHJ2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: DC Metro Area
Age: 36
Posts: 5,829
Re: Football Outsiders: Worst rated CBs in the NFL in 2010 (DeAngelo ranked #2)

DeAngelo Hall must be on that new drug called "Charlie Sheen" because he sure does "win" a lot for a person who contains so much suck.

NFL Player "Win"
Starter "Win"
Funble Recovery "Win"
Touchdowns "Win"
Interceptions "Win"
Pro Bowl "Win"
Pro Bowl MVP "Win"
Extra Pro Bowl Cash "Win"
Lucrative Contract "Win"
Winning "Win"

Must make you hate your life huh?
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:32 PM   #56
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,968
Re: Football Outsiders: Worst rated CBs in the NFL in 2010 (DeAngelo ranked #2)

I'll just restate what I've said in the past...Rogers is like the good friend you go to the movies and dinner with and always have a good time but you hope for something more. He'll tease you and make you think maybe this is the night, but you go home thinking well that was nice, but I feel a bit unsatisfied. Hall is Champagne with the fishnet stockings, 6 inch high-heels, and possibly a missing tooth on the corner of 14th and T Streets, NW at 1am. You may go home with a disease, but at least you know you'll get something out of Champagne
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:57 PM   #57
Living Legend
 
skinsfaninok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Oklahoma City (Originally from Biloxi, Ms)
Age: 27
Posts: 16,356
Re: Football Outsiders: Worst rated CBs in the NFL in 2010 (DeAngelo ranked #2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I'll just restate what I've said in the past...Rogers is like the good friend you go to the movies and dinner with and always have a good time but you hope for something more. He'll tease you and make you think maybe this is the night, but you go home thinking well that was nice, but I feel a bit unsatisfied. Hall is Champagne with the fishnet stockings, 6 inch high-heels, and possibly a missing tooth on the corner of 14th and T Streets, NW at 1am. You may go home with a disease, but at least you know you'll get something out of Champagne

Bad experiences?
__________________
THUNDER UP

"if you're good at something, never do it for free"- The Joker

skinsfaninok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:49 PM   #58
Registered User
 
44ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: The Fortune Teller
Posts: 2,512
Re: Football Outsiders: Worst rated CBs in the NFL in 2010 (DeAngelo ranked #2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I'll just restate what I've said in the past...Rogers is like the good friend you go to the movies and dinner with and always have a good time but you hope for something more. He'll tease you and make you think maybe this is the night, but you go home thinking well that was nice, but I feel a bit unsatisfied. Hall is Champagne with the fishnet stockings, 6 inch high-heels, and possibly a missing tooth on the corner of 14th and T Streets, NW at 1am. You may go home with a disease, but at least you know you'll get something out of Champagne
Thats just wrong man.
44ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 09:00 PM   #59
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: Football Outsiders: Worst rated CBs in the NFL in 2010 (DeAngelo ranked #2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
So it's fine if he beat two teams by himself and shit all over himself the other 14 games. YEAH!!!

ESPN 980 - WASHINGTON D.C.









So the score is now 4-2 in favor of games lost over games won. So much for that being a valid reason as to why he's good.

Funny you picked one of the best QB's and WR's in the NFL to support your argument. You also used a play where he slipped which is not fair.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 09:23 PM   #60
Camp Scrub
 
3Card's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 16
Re: Football Outsiders: Worst rated CBs in the NFL in 2010 (DeAngelo ranked #2)

Football outsiders = Over Rated
3Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.31040 seconds with 10 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25