Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Redskins Reconstruction: Quarterbacks

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2011, 12:00 AM   #151
The Starter
 
30gut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,099
Re: Redskins Reconstruction: Quarterbacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Why again is this guy not a 1st round talent?
Does it really matter what the answer is? You won't accept it anyway.
__________________
No longer were NFL coaches dealing inflexibly with spread [QBs] in ways that caused stunted development for players like [A. Smith and Vick] now, the idea is to bring what the quarterback can do, and what he should do, together as an organic whole
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-05-2011, 12:07 AM   #152
The Starter
 
30gut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,099
Re: Redskins Reconstruction: Quarterbacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Why is that a good thing when the actual McNabb was a failure in this offense?
McNabb was a borderline HOF caliber QB and to pretend otherwise is pure revisionism.

I think Locker is a quicker athlete then McNabb more of a fast twitch, light footed and nimble.
__________________
No longer were NFL coaches dealing inflexibly with spread [QBs] in ways that caused stunted development for players like [A. Smith and Vick] now, the idea is to bring what the quarterback can do, and what he should do, together as an organic whole
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 12:39 AM   #153
Registered User
 
GusFrerotte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Detroit area
Posts: 4,153
Re: Redskins Reconstruction: Quarterbacks

I have never seen a player more highly touted that didn't show much in his actual gameplay as Jake Locker. Even in his bowl win against the Cornhuskers he did it with his feet, while his passing game was non existent. When was the last time a QB not known for his arm won a SB? Locker seems to have a good head on his shoulders, but his passing game sucks. He isn't as athletic as Vick, and Vick couldn't get the job done even in Philly. The guy throws a ton of INTs also. To be honest, I would draft Dan Persa out of Northwestern before Locker. If Persa didn't get hurt against Purdue he had a great shot to be Big Ten MVP. That guy is almost like Vick and his passes were way more crisper than anything I have seen Locker do. Not saying we should go for Persa in 2012, but he was a better QB than Locker in 2011. Way better in fact.
GusFrerotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:37 AM   #154
The Starter
 
30gut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,099
Re: Redskins Reconstruction: Quarterbacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusFrerotte View Post
I have never seen a player more highly touted that didn't show much in his actual gameplay as Jake Locker. Even in his bowl win against the Cornhuskers he did it with his feet, while his passing game was non existent. When was the last time a QB not known for his arm won a SB? Locker seems to have a good head on his shoulders, but his passing game sucks.
I can tell you right now that if you look at Locker's production to figure out what type of QB he is you'll never understand it.

People like you that think evaluating a QB prospect is the same thing as looking at stats/production will never undestand why Locker is a top QB prospect.

Production is a function of the team's scheme, talent, pass protection etc.

QB are judged not on their teams merits i.e. stats/production but by their own merits: accuracy, arm strength, athleticism/escapability, experience, drop-back/footwork, throwing mechanics, toughness, size, etc moreso then stats.

LoL, the Nebraska WIN?
You know the top prospect Gabbert lost against Nebraska?

If you watched the game you would know that the cornhuskers defense great the Washington OL and WRs were completely outmatched.

Yet, Locker used his legs and made a some clutch throws to win the game.
But, in stat land, yeah what a terrible WIN.

BTW-Here's a stat for you: Matt Stafford (56.6%) was considered by everyone to be a cleaner prospect then Locker but guess what? Locker comp% in Sarkisians offense is 56.8%.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Kirwan:
A Pac-10 defensive coordinator who faced Washington this season and asked about Locker and the Huskies' offense. His first reaction: "Locker had no one in front of him, yet he threw for a ton of yards and killed us with his feet."
Upon further review, Locker should be late first-round pick

NFL.com news: Upon further review, Locker should be late first-round pick
__________________
No longer were NFL coaches dealing inflexibly with spread [QBs] in ways that caused stunted development for players like [A. Smith and Vick] now, the idea is to bring what the quarterback can do, and what he should do, together as an organic whole
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 02:18 AM   #155
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 29
Posts: 14,521
Re: Redskins Reconstruction: Quarterbacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
I can tell you right now that if you look at Locker's production to figure out what type of QB he is you'll never understand it.

People like you that think evaluating a QB prospect is the same thing as looking at stats/production will never undestand why Locker is a top QB prospect.

Production is a function of the team's scheme, talent, pass protection etc.

QB are judged not on their teams merits i.e. stats/production but by their own merits: accuracy, arm strength, athleticism/escapability, experience, drop-back/footwork, throwing mechanics, toughness, size, etc moreso then stats.

LoL, the Nebraska WIN?
You know the top prospect Gabbert lost against Nebraska?

If you watched the game you would know that the cornhuskers defense great the Washington OL and WRs were completely outmatched.

Yet, Locker used his legs and made a some clutch throws to win the game.
But, in stat land, yeah what a terrible WIN.

BTW-Here's a stat for you: Matt Stafford (56.6%) was considered by everyone to be a cleaner prospect then Locker but guess what? Locker comp% in Sarkisians offense is 56.8%.




Upon further review, Locker should be late first-round pick

NFL.com news: Upon further review, Locker should be late first-round pick
Mmmm, fresh Kool Aid. The Locker movement is now regaining momentum. Also don't forget his 70% completion percentage outside the pocket. I swear I am going to get on board with this guy and become the biggest Locker fan out there. I might not be there yet but I'm getting on the highway.

Anyway, at least with Shanahan at least he has a chance of developing into a top flight QB. If he goes to Seattle or Minnesota he'll most likely bust. If Locker is going to succeed at the NFL level he's going to need an offensive guru. Luckily in spite of last years performance we have two on staff.
__________________
6.6710−11 m3 kg−1 s−2

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:48 AM   #156
Playmaker
 
SkinzWin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 2,693
Re: Redskins Reconstruction: Quarterbacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
Mmmm, fresh Kool Aid. The Locker movement is now regaining momentum. Also don't forget his 70% completion percentage outside the pocket. I swear I am going to get on board with this guy and become the biggest Locker fan out there. I might not be there yet but I'm getting on the highway.

Anyway, at least with Shanahan at least he has a chance of developing into a top flight QB. If he goes to Seattle or Minnesota he'll most likely bust. If Locker is going to succeed at the NFL level he's going to need an offensive guru. Luckily in spite of last years performance we have two on staff.
Yeah be a Locker geek. Kaepernick is only that good in or outside the pocket and has better scrambling ability to stretch the play. But Kaepernick isn't better. Oh wait, he is.
__________________
Sean Taylor #21 a Redskin forever...

Draft winners, not stars.

Hail to the Redskins
Hail victory
Braves on the warpath
Block for RG3
SkinzWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:59 AM   #157
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 29
Posts: 14,521
Re: Redskins Reconstruction: Quarterbacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinzWin View Post
Yeah be a Locker geek. Kaepernick is only that good in or outside the pocket and has better scrambling ability to stretch the play. But Kaepernick isn't better. Oh wait, he is.
I find your lack of faith disturbing.
__________________
6.6710−11 m3 kg−1 s−2

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 12:39 PM   #158
The Starter
 
30gut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,099
Re: Redskins Reconstruction: Quarterbacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
Mmmm, fresh Kool Aid. The Locker movement is now regaining momentum. Also don't forget his 70% completion percentage outside the pocket. I swear I am going to get on board with this guy and become the biggest Locker fan out there. I might not be there yet but I'm getting on the highway.

Anyway, at least with Shanahan at least he has a chance of developing into a top flight QB. If he goes to Seattle or Minnesota he'll most likely bust. If Locker is going to succeed at the NFL level he's going to need an offensive guru. Luckily in spite of last years performance we have two on staff.
Locker is my favorite prospect in this QB draft class but he's not the only prospect I like nor does it mean I think the other prospects aren't good either.

I like Locker because of the combination of arm and playmaking which are the 2 traits I value most in a QB prospect; also I like that he's played under more duress/ adverse circumstances then the other prospects. (The NFL isn't pitch and catch)

Without getting to boring with details I'll put it like this: there are 4 QBs with NFL size and elite arms and 2 of those QBs are also elite playmakers. (Gabbert, Newton, Locker, Mallett)

There is another group that lacks elite arms but have good NFL traits and are arguably more polished QBs then all but one of the top tier. (Ponder, Dalton, Stanzi)

Then there are 2 outliers that fall somewhere between.
Kaep has elite arm but a major throwing hitch and for me personally I like a QB that has clean throwing motion then there's Tyrod who is a more polished QB but has average physical traits but elite playmaking.
__________________
No longer were NFL coaches dealing inflexibly with spread [QBs] in ways that caused stunted development for players like [A. Smith and Vick] now, the idea is to bring what the quarterback can do, and what he should do, together as an organic whole
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 12:59 PM   #159
Playmaker
 
SkinzWin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 2,693
Re: Redskins Reconstruction: Quarterbacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
I find your lack of faith disturbing.
Oppositely the same as I find yours.
__________________
Sean Taylor #21 a Redskin forever...

Draft winners, not stars.

Hail to the Redskins
Hail victory
Braves on the warpath
Block for RG3
SkinzWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 03:21 PM   #160
Playmaker
 
Longtimefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Germantown, Md.
Posts: 4,832
Re: Redskins Reconstruction: Quarterbacks

The Quarterback no one bothers to talk about has a dream of being "the man" ....soon he'll awake.

Beck wants to be ‘the guy’ - The Insider - The Washington Post
__________________
A revolution is coming and it will be televised.
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:09 AM   #161
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,275
Re: Redskins Reconstruction: Quarterbacks

Hey, Beck is determined and is putting the work in. Lets see if he's improved over his Dolphins days.

I think his ceiling is "good backup" but he's working hard...prove you can do it, John.

I also love how he was excited to come here and took his wife out to Chik-Fil-A to celebrate. (serious...love their chicken)
__________________
Not sent from a Droid, iPhone, Blackberry or toaster
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:36 AM   #162
Playmaker
 
Longtimefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Germantown, Md.
Posts: 4,832
Re: Redskins Reconstruction: Quarterbacks

[Q] I also love how he was excited to come here and took his wife out to Chik-Fil-A to celebrate. (serious...love their chicken) [U]

Wish they were open on Sunday.
__________________
A revolution is coming and it will be televised.
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 04:48 PM   #163
Playmaker
 
Longtimefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Germantown, Md.
Posts: 4,832
Re: Redskins Reconstruction: Quarterbacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydad View Post
Hey, Beck is determined and is putting the work in. Lets see if he's improved over his Dolphins days.

I think his ceiling is "good backup" but he's working hard...prove you can do it, John.

I also love how he was excited to come here and took his wife out to Chik-Fil-A to celebrate. (serious...love their chicken)
The odds are against John Beck becoming a solid starting quarterback | Rich Tandler's Real Redskins
__________________
A revolution is coming and it will be televised.
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:47 PM   #164
The Starter
 
30gut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,099
Re: Redskins Reconstruction: Quarterbacks

Am I the only person who is exceedingly bothered by anecdotal trivia passed off as facts?

To me that article is just as spurious as worrying about Andy Dalton success because he's there hasn't been many successful red head QBs.

Its silly.

Beck will succeed or fail because of his ability and opportunity.
__________________
No longer were NFL coaches dealing inflexibly with spread [QBs] in ways that caused stunted development for players like [A. Smith and Vick] now, the idea is to bring what the quarterback can do, and what he should do, together as an organic whole
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:58 PM   #165
Living Legend
 
skinsfaninok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Oklahoma City (Originally from Biloxi, Ms)
Age: 27
Posts: 16,104
Re: Redskins Reconstruction: Quarterbacks

It's not a guarantee that beck will even be in the mix
__________________
THUNDER UP

"if you're good at something, never do it for free"- The Joker

skinsfaninok is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.36592 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25