Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


ESPN: Teams that are helped/hurt by the new salary cap proposal

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2011, 11:22 AM   #16
Special Teams
 
musicmaster45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 373
Re: ESPN: Teams that are helped/hurt by the new salary cap proposal

Also there deals will make sense do you guys remember Atogwe's deal seemed like a fair amount but not overpaying for a good free safety
__________________
Shanahann loves the colleges i do...... Purdue and Nebraska FTW!!!!
musicmaster45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 06-27-2011, 11:43 AM   #17
Pro Bowl
 
SirClintonPortis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,052
Re: ESPN: Teams that are helped/hurt by the new salary cap proposal

It's not about how much you can acquire. It's the returns your assets give you.
__________________
Analysis using datasets (aka stats) is an attempt at reverse-engineering a player's "goodness".

Virtuosity remembered, douchebaggery forgotten.

The ideal character profile shoved down modern Western men and women's throats is Don Juan.
SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:09 PM   #18
Impact Rookie
 
skinster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 754
Re: ESPN: Teams that are helped/hurt by the new salary cap proposal

I'm looking at our cap. First of all I know nothing will be done about it now because of the lack of CBA, but I would love more accurate numbers as soon as possible. Some players that have been released are still on the cap.

Taking out Haynesworth, McNabb, Portis, Carter, Moss, and Dockery from the cap sheet on the warpath, there are only 26 players signed under contract for the 2011 season (38 including our 12 draft picks). It will be very interesting to me to see how we will fill the roster. Who we resign, let walk, release, trade, sign in free agency. I predict this to be the most radical change of a redskins roster that I have seen. And if that is not true, at the very least it will be the most interesting offseason activity (if we just resign a bunch of our old guys, don't let the expected movers leave, etc...) I've ever seen. I assume alot of other teams are in the same position we are with the lack of free agency last year and the change of cba this year. This is going to be exciting the moment the cba is finished.
skinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:19 PM   #19
Playmaker
 
Longtimefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Germantown, Md.
Posts: 4,832
Re: ESPN: Teams that are helped/hurt by the new salary cap proposal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I wouldn't call Lichtensteiger a bust. He's only 26 years old, played pretty solidly toward the end of the year and has taken a leadership role with the OL during this off-season.
Lichtensteiger has been a good addition. Played in all sixteen games for the Broncos in 2008 and started fourteen of sixteen games here last year. Valuable experience that should help him going into his third year in the system.
__________________
A revolution is coming and it will be televised.
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:26 PM   #20
Special Teams
 
NLC1054's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 279
Re: ESPN: Teams that are helped/hurt by the new salary cap proposal

I don't think we're going to go after anyone with a big name and instead go after the more affordable "secondary market" guys. If we do spend big bucks, it's going to be on 1.) a nose tackle and 2.) an offensive linemen, possibly a center or guard and a right tackle if we can't convince JB to come back. JB or Ryan Harris would both be good.

We're going to spend money, but I don't think we're going to put all our chips in on one player.
NLC1054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:30 PM   #21
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 10,545
Re: ESPN: Teams that are helped/hurt by the new salary cap proposal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
I would like to see this team do a better job scouting free agents and finding players that fit the coaching scheme. I honestly feel that this has been an issue over the past years.
That is an on-target comment.

This should be a buyer's market for free agents. So, as long as we go about it intelligently (see good scouting), we could really improve our team without blowing wads of cash.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:33 PM   #22
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,275
Re: ESPN: Teams that are helped/hurt by the new salary cap proposal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimefan View Post
Lichtensteiger has been a good addition. Played in all sixteen games for the Broncos in 2008 and started fourteen of sixteen games here last year. Valuable experience that should help him going into his third year in the system.
Absolutely. He'll also be an upgrade over Rabach at Center.
__________________
Not sent from a Droid, iPhone, Blackberry or toaster
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:56 PM   #23
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,444
Re: ESPN: Teams that are helped/hurt by the new salary cap proposal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydad View Post
Yeah, that will solve our issues.

We need a starting CB, some offensive linemen, a NT, maybe some more LB depth, and you want to sign UDFAs to fill all of these key needs?

Trying to get Andrew Luck?



I have full confidence in Allen and Shanahan, ESPECIALLY Allen.

The Vinny and Danny Show has been taken off the air. Don't worry so much.
This team isn't going ANYWHERE next year. Our QB's are REX GROSSMAN AND JOHN BECK w/ rumors of VINCE YOUNG coming in to compete. EEEEWWWW!!!!!!

I want every guy that's in year 1, 2 and 3 to play and play as much as possibe. Let's see if this rookie NT from WV can play. Let's see if Barnes can play CB and start or be a 3rd corner. What about Capers and Cook? We know Rocky can't play inside in a 3-4 so get Riley in there. Kerrigan should walk in and start day one cause Alexander can't rush the passer. Hankerson starts day one. You get my point? Right now this team doesn't need any 29 or 30 year old free agents. It needs to get younger and let some of these guys learn and grow together.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 01:00 PM   #24
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,444
Re: ESPN: Teams that are helped/hurt by the new salary cap proposal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection View Post
A lot of people are considering Brown a bust, but he really came on at the end of the season and unless we find someone we think can be a legit starting RT, I really want to see him coming back.
Not a good trade cause he played LT in NO and they're asking him to play RT here and he's 30 and came of an injury. How many years does he have left? Should've kept the draft picks.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 01:23 PM   #25
Special Teams
 
NLC1054's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 279
Re: ESPN: Teams that are helped/hurt by the new salary cap proposal

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
This team isn't going ANYWHERE next year. Our QB's are REX GROSSMAN AND JOHN BECK w/ rumors of VINCE YOUNG coming in to compete. EEEEWWWW!!!!!!

I want every guy that's in year 1, 2 and 3 to play and play as much as possibe. Let's see if this rookie NT from WV can play. Let's see if Barnes can play CB and start or be a 3rd corner. What about Capers and Cook? We know Rocky can't play inside in a 3-4 so get Riley in there. Kerrigan should walk in and start day one cause Alexander can't rush the passer. Hankerson starts day one. You get my point? Right now this team doesn't need any 29 or 30 year old free agents. It needs to get younger and let some of these guys learn and grow together.
Just because circumstances aren't ideal NOW doesn't mean you don't try to get better. I think that's a huge disconnect. People thinking "getting younger" means "we're going to suck so we might as well put the young guys in if we're going to suck".

If the free agency rules end up being that it's 4-years accrued towards free agency, then you're going to see a lot of 24, 25 or 26 year old guys hit the market place. Still young guys, arguably guys who are going to be hitting their prime. And since there will be a lot of depth at a lot of positions of need, you don't have to spend boatloads of money going after just a few guys.

And you know, I'm kind of tired of hearing the "who cares, we're going to suck because we're going have Rex Grossman or John Beck at quarterback!". Rex made it to a friggin' Super Bowl. (Yeah, I know, defense, run game, Rex never had to throw the ball or something).

Instead of sitting around kvetching saying "woe is the Redskins, why should they even try, they have no quarterback", how about putting some talent around the guys and seeing how they play? Why is the preference that we should just suck it up and play all the rookies and it'll probably suck but at least the young guys get to play.

That's not the way you build a football team. The goal is always going to be to get better, and that includes spending money in free agency. I don't care if Pat friggin' White is our quarterback, I damn sure want the Redskins to improve in every way they can.
NLC1054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 01:26 PM   #26
MVP
 
NC_Skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 10,539
Re: ESPN: Teams that are helped/hurt by the new salary cap proposal

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
This team isn't going ANYWHERE next year. Our QB's are REX GROSSMAN AND JOHN BECK w/ rumors of VINCE YOUNG coming in to compete. EEEEWWWW!!!!!!
You all have the nerve to talk about me?..lol


Hell, even last year I predicted the team to go 9-7 or 7-9 based off one or two games. I'm more optimistic than you give me credit for.
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 01:32 PM   #27
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,636
Re: ESPN: Teams that are helped/hurt by the new salary cap proposal

He actually started off as a RT in New Orleans, also we got Brown and a pick for one of our picks. People seem to forget that we got a pick from the Saints in the deal.

That pick ended up being Niles Paul
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 02:04 PM   #28
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,275
Re: ESPN: Teams that are helped/hurt by the new salary cap proposal

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
This team isn't going ANYWHERE next year. Our QB's are REX GROSSMAN AND JOHN BECK w/ rumors of VINCE YOUNG coming in to compete. EEEEWWWW!!!!!!
Actually Rex is not signed...and McNabb is still a Redskin.
__________________
Not sent from a Droid, iPhone, Blackberry or toaster
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 02:27 PM   #29
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,444
Re: ESPN: Teams that are helped/hurt by the new salary cap proposal

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLC1054 View Post
Just because circumstances aren't ideal NOW doesn't mean you don't try to get better. I think that's a huge disconnect. People thinking "getting younger" means "we're going to suck so we might as well put the young guys in if we're going to suck".

If the free agency rules end up being that it's 4-years accrued towards free agency, then you're going to see a lot of 24, 25 or 26 year old guys hit the market place. Still young guys, arguably guys who are going to be hitting their prime. And since there will be a lot of depth at a lot of positions of need, you don't have to spend boatloads of money going after just a few guys.

And you know, I'm kind of tired of hearing the "who cares, we're going to suck because we're going have Rex Grossman or John Beck at quarterback!". Rex made it to a friggin' Super Bowl. (Yeah, I know, defense, run game, Rex never had to throw the ball or something).

Instead of sitting around kvetching saying "woe is the Redskins, why should they even try, they have no quarterback", how about putting some talent around the guys and seeing how they play? Why is the preference that we should just suck it up and play all the rookies and it'll probably suck but at least the young guys get to play.

That's not the way you build a football team. The goal is always going to be to get better, and that includes spending money in free agency. I don't care if Pat friggin' White is our quarterback, I damn sure want the Redskins to improve in every way they can.
W/out question the worst Qb to ever start a SB. They made it in spite of him.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 02:28 PM   #30
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,332
Re: ESPN: Teams that are helped/hurt by the new salary cap proposal

I'd take Rex over Dilfer. There's probably been a few others worse than Rex to make a SB.

Regardless of how or why, he started for a SB team. Not a ton of guys can say that.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.29093 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25