Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Dockett live tweets getting pulled over by police

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2011, 08:57 AM   #16
Franchise Player
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 9,929
Re: Dockett live tweets getting pulled over by police

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
They didn't give him a ticket so I guess the officers were fcking morons for wasting tax payer money.
This. Guess they gotta be sure the black guy driving a nice car isn't up to no good.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 06-28-2011, 09:00 AM   #17
MVP
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 37
Posts: 11,254
Re: Dockett live tweets getting pulled over by police

Ive never been asked when Ive been pulled to search my vehicle. Def think their is a profiling component to that. Good thing about 8 years ago i was holding a couple dank nugs.
__________________
Ditka for President
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:54 AM   #18
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,275
Re: Dockett live tweets getting pulled over by police

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Wasn't Dockett the guy who ustreamed himself taking a shower or something like that
Yeah, that was him. He and Najeh Davenport would make good buddies I think.


I agree with McNabb too, Twitter is really only causing harm to these athletes. There is no censor, no chance to read over their words before submitting and no taking them back, even if they delete them, the media and fans will have screen shots forever.
__________________
Not sent from a Droid, iPhone, Blackberry or toaster
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:59 AM   #19
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,275
Re: Dockett live tweets getting pulled over by police

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
This. Guess they gotta be sure the black guy driving a nice car isn't up to no good.
If he has his car modified to look "gangster" like a typical drug dealer/rapper's car, there would be legitimate suspicion. When I had my windows tinted dark in college, I got pulled over a couple of times without speeding or breaking any laws (other than the tint law) and I brought the attention on myself. They could not see into my car, so they had the right to be suspicious. I have no problem with them doing my job. My cars were never searched and I was never assaulted on those occasions. Let them do their job. I don't see a problem here, other then the live Tweets.
__________________
Not sent from a Droid, iPhone, Blackberry or toaster
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:57 AM   #20
Playmaker
 
djnemo65's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: MA
Age: 33
Posts: 2,836
Re: Dockett live tweets getting pulled over by police

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydad View Post
If he has his car modified to look "gangster" like a typical drug dealer/rapper's car, there would be legitimate suspicion. When I had my windows tinted dark in college, I got pulled over a couple of times without speeding or breaking any laws (other than the tint law) and I brought the attention on myself. They could not see into my car, so they had the right to be suspicious. I have no problem with them doing my job. My cars were never searched and I was never assaulted on those occasions. Let them do their job. I don't see a problem here, other then the live Tweets.
The burden is on the police in a case like this (brief stop short of an arrest/probable cause) to provide articulable facts as to why they pulled the suspect over; a "hunch" based on what the cop thinks a drug dealer/rapper's car would typically look like is constitutionally deficient. (Working in criminal law this summer and just had a case dealing with this.) Now, if the officer observed the suspect committing a traffic offense, that would provide the reasonable suspicion necessary to effectuate a stop. In this case, the officer claimed that Docket was speeding, but I think that's highly suspect. Dockett says he wasn't speeding and they never issued him a ticket. Also, there is certainly no extant evidence indicating that Dockett's windows violated any tinting laws, you are just asserting that.

Look, I get what you are saying as a practical matter, don't get tinted windows and play loud rap music if you don't wanna get pulled over. But I think we all as Americans need to be a lot more vigorous in defending the Constitution. Dockett is someone who was stopped and detained in a manner that appears to me to have been constitutionally offensive. He knew his rights and fought back and hopefully taught those police officers a lesson, while providing a positive example for other Americans. Remember, the Constitution isn't there to protect criminals, it's there to protect innocent people like us. If you go to China the police can search you for anything they feel like, there are no legal standards, but this isn't China. The prohibition against arbitrary search and seizure was born of a world in which British soldiers harassed Americans with impunity. The minute we start excusing stuff like this the closer we get to reverting back to that world.
djnemo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:35 AM   #21
MVP
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 37
Posts: 11,254
Re: Dockett live tweets getting pulled over by police

^Well said Djnemo
__________________
Ditka for President
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:47 AM   #22
Playmaker
 
mlmpetert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Richmond
Posts: 3,257
Re: Dockett live tweets getting pulled over by police

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
Ha, ha, Ok.

I'll say this... if the officer is "asking" to search your car then he/she more then likely does not have the probable cause to search inside. Be polite, be respectful, don't be sarcastic, simply say no because you don't have time for it because your late for a date or appointment or need to get home. The Supreme Court has said no means no. The police can not "swindle" you into letting them search the vehicle as in saying "why won't you let us search it? If you don't have anything to hide then you'd let us search it."

However keep in mind some officers do ask to search even though they have found probable cause to search. Why? I don't know. If you have the probable cause they simply should be saying "I'm going to search your car because I found (whatever) in your car." If they have it they will tell you.

But I laugh because technicall they can keep you on the side of the road for up to 2 hrs roughly per Supreme Court rulings. Depending on if you have been stopped before and contraband found depends on whether they will go through the whole process of getting a search warrant. It's much easier to simply call the K-9 to come sniff around your vehicle, which if the dog signals the vehicle has contrabrand inside is probable cause for the officer to search inside. On a side note.... sometimes when the dog smells contrabrand they tend to scratch at the vehicle sometimes leaving scratches on the outside, and if the dog hits and they send the dog inside because you still don't want to "get caught" the dog sometimes tears up the seats scratching at them if the contrabrand is inside or under them. I've never heard of someone successfully getting reimbursed for damage done to their vehicle when contrabrand has been found.

There is an old saying.... inocent people have nothing to hide. However I too don't like the overzealous officer. So .... if you got the time to sit on the side of the road for up to 2 hrs protecting your civil rights then enjoy it. But also remember .... if the officer is stopping you because you broke the law, the officer does have the option of writing you a ticket or taking you into custody, towing your vehicle (which requires a "inventory search"), and taking you to the Magistrate. No matter how petty the offense.

Simply put ... don't break the law. and most of all.......

If I get pulled over the officer is obstructing my day, heís the one that needs to be polite, respectful, and sincereÖ. Not me.

So if a officer asks to search my car I should just say sorry sir Im late for a date or I just need to get home, and heíll let me on my way and he cant swindle me into letting him search my car? But then you say but he can hold me on the side of the road for up to 2 hours. Wow sounds like if im late for a date or need to get somewhere im pretty much screwed unless I let him go through my belongings. And if the dogs smells something or thinks he smells something heís gonna scratch my car too?

Innocent people should also have nothing to fearÖ. However a overzealous cop can probably make feel pretty fearfull 2 hours later when he lets you go. If you have nothing to hide would you let me search your car? Im only friends with one police officer, so more than likely any stranger that pulls me over isnít going to be the chance to rummage through my positions.

When I was in school I got pulled over with some friends right after we left a criminal justice class because our music was on too loud. Because we were just talking about individual rights we decided not to let the police officer search the car after he asked. We were forced to stand in the cold for about 45-hour while waiting for a k9 to show up. There was a park bench within 10 feet of where the officer made us stand. There were jackets in the car we were not able to retrieve. We were individually interrogated and patted down by the officer while we waited for a k9. We were not allowed to use our cell phones or inform friends or family of the situation. Of course the k9 didnít find anything and we able to show up for our date or appointmentÖ.. albeit 45 minutes later.

We hear the discussion all the time about how athletes need to be role models. I think what Docket did is quite admirable. He didnít do anything wrong and showed the young kids that look up to him that you donít need to be harassed by police officers.
__________________
mlmpetert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:47 AM   #23
Playmaker
 
mlmpetert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Richmond
Posts: 3,257
Re: Dockett live tweets getting pulled over by police

Yep, perfectly said Djnemo
__________________
mlmpetert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:12 PM   #24
The Starter
 
KI Skins Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: MD Eastern Shore
Posts: 2,123
Re: Dockett live tweets getting pulled over by police

Look, I don't have a problem with Dockett refusing to allow a police officer to search his vehicle. I think it's important that we all know our rights and that we stand up for our rights. I'm also aware that many, many people have been pulled over by police for "driving black" and that is just plain wrong.

However, we've got a thread about Darnell Dockett here. Darnell Dockett tweeting about a traffic stop! Darnell Dockett doesn't even play for the Redskins. Alas, this is the kind of thing we're reduced to talking about during this infernal lockout.

Please, please let there be a labor agreement soon so we can once again talk about Redskins Football!

Sheesh!
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:18 PM   #25
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,275
Re: Dockett live tweets getting pulled over by police

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnemo65 View Post
The burden is on the police in a case like this (brief stop short of an arrest/probable cause) to provide articulable facts as to why they pulled the suspect over; a "hunch" based on what the cop thinks a drug dealer/rapper's car would typically look like is constitutionally deficient. (Working in criminal law this summer and just had a case dealing with this.) Now, if the officer observed the suspect committing a traffic offense, that would provide the reasonable suspicion necessary to effectuate a stop. In this case, the officer claimed that Docket was speeding, but I think that's highly suspect. Dockett says he wasn't speeding and they never issued him a ticket. Also, there is certainly no extant evidence indicating that Dockett's windows violated any tinting laws, you are just asserting that.

Look, I get what you are saying as a practical matter, don't get tinted windows and play loud rap music if you don't wanna get pulled over. But I think we all as Americans need to be a lot more vigorous in defending the Constitution. Dockett is someone who was stopped and detained in a manner that appears to me to have been constitutionally offensive. He knew his rights and fought back and hopefully taught those police officers a lesson, while providing a positive example for other Americans. Remember, the Constitution isn't there to protect criminals, it's there to protect innocent people like us. If you go to China the police can search you for anything they feel like, there are no legal standards, but this isn't China. The prohibition against arbitrary search and seizure was born of a world in which British soldiers harassed Americans with impunity. The minute we start excusing stuff like this the closer we get to reverting back to that world.
We also have not heard the other side of the story...how was Dockett driving and behaving? Was he wearing clothes? I highly doubt he was just doing nothing or appearing to do nothing to get himself pulled over. I completely agree with you about our rights and the need to protect them, but be honest, when someone tells the story of them getting pulled over by police, they "never" did anything wrong, right? It's always the police overstepping their bounds. Heck, even the lady blabbing on her phone and driving 15 MPH under the speed limit on halfway across the white line to her right is clueless about what she did when she was pulled over. I've been nearly hit by morons who don't realize how bad they're driving and get angry at ME for honking my horn to get their attention before they hit me.

I can't take someone who Tweets their traffic stop very seriously. He's always been someone seeking attention.



Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmpetert View Post
We hear the discussion all the time about how athletes need to be role models. I think what Docket did is quite admirable. He didnít do anything wrong and showed the young kids that look up to him that you donít need to be harassed by police officers.
Wow.



A couple of days before getting pulled over for "no reason"...just saying. We're back to the "should pro athletes be out in the middle of the night at clubs and bars" conversation that we get in whenever there is a murder, stabbing, rape, arrest or self-inflicted gunshot wound with an NFL player.


Quote:
ddockett My boy gave me a shot of somthing but it smelled like gasoline and I feel like smokey on friday in debo piegon coupe!

ddockett Ayeeeeeeeeeee! After 2am for some reason I walk bow legged! Is that norma?

ddockett RT @kiedie: My doctor just basically told me I was hypochondriac---------------hmmm No comment! Hey keeeeeeesha!
Then...
Quote:
ddockett I don't know why the police always messing w/me I'm never gonna let them search my car with out a search warrant! No matter what!
Really?
__________________
Not sent from a Droid, iPhone, Blackberry or toaster
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:51 PM   #26
Registered User
 
SBXVII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,766
Re: Dockett live tweets getting pulled over by police

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmpetert View Post
Yep, perfectly said Djnemo
Perfectly said if the officer had no reason to stop him. However if he was speeding, failed to use a turn signal, California stopped a stop sign, ran a red light, had a tail light out.... etc, etc... then the stop was legal and the officer has every right to "ask" to search the vehicle just like every citizen has every right to refuse the search. It's no different then you asking to search your neighbor's wifes purse. You have the right to ask and she has the right to say yes or no.

Which is why I said "politely say no." If you act like an ass or cop an attitute spouting that you know your rights.... the officer is going to get pissed off and look for other violations or simply charge you for the one he was going to give you a warning on. Most people are nervous and polite. Go ahead and act angry, irrational, or cocky of your rights from the get go and see if it doesn't peak the officers interest as to what you might be hiding.

All I was saying is you have a better chance of getting a ticket or warning and sent on your way by being polite vs. standing your ground and being cocky, angry, or irrational about your rights. and.... although it's called a brief stop .... technically the Supreme Court has justified 2 hrs as being brief. With out an infraction or breaking of law they have to let you go after 2 hrs.

Another example would of not being respectful is talking on your phone during the traffic stop, or texting while the officer is trying to converse with you. This will most likely piss off the officer and make him want to run you through the mill.

People are funny, you don't want to get caught with your hand in the cookie jar don't slam the lid of the jar, you don't want to get caught sneeking out of the house don't slam the door, you don't want your car or your self searched by the officer don't act like an ass. Simple.

and.... just because he didn't get a ticket does not mean the officer just chose his vehicle to stop and ask to search. More then likely he broke the law and the officer pulled him over questioned him about the offense, gave him a warning on the offense hoping the subject would later say yes to searching the car. Happens all the time.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 01:00 PM   #27
Registered User
 
SBXVII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,766
Re: Dockett live tweets getting pulled over by police

You don't want to be searched don't put your self in a positons to be searched or asked to be searched. Don't break the law, don't tint your windows too dark, don't lower or raise your vehicle too high or low, don't put the loud fat mufflers on your car, ....*** don't put that stupid scented christmas tree on the rear view mirror***. Atleast not in VA. Don't hand the officer a reason to stop you on a silver platter. You want to trick out your car? fine as long as it's legal no problem, but don't trick out your car in order to get noticed then cry foul when you get noticed by the police.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 01:12 PM   #28
Registered User
 
SBXVII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,766
Re: Dockett live tweets getting pulled over by police

mlmpetert,
Quote:
When I was in school I got pulled over with some friends right after we left a criminal justice class because our music was on too loud. Because we were just talking about individual rights we decided not to let the police officer search the car after he asked. We were forced to stand in the cold for about 45-hour while waiting for a k9 to show up. There was a park bench within 10 feet of where the officer made us stand. There were jackets in the car we were not able to retrieve. We were individually interrogated and patted down by the officer while we waited for a k9. We were not allowed to use our cell phones or inform friends or family of the situation. Of course the k9 didnít find anything and we able to show up for our date or appointmentÖ.. albeit 45 minutes later.
totally can understand your position, however you have to understand the officers also... he pats you down and finds nothing, he wants to search the car and you say no, the moment he opens the door to the car it's a search, but you said no to the search so he can't go into the car and retrieve your jackets, and he sure as hell aint going to let you guys go in and destroy or dump evidence if there is drugs in the car. So as much as I would say the officer is a jerk you have to realize he couldn't let you back in the car.

Quote:
We hear the discussion all the time about how athletes need to be role models. I think what Docket did is quite admirable. He didnít do anything wrong and showed the young kids that look up to him that you donít need to be harassed by police officers.
Role model? I dunno, tweeting during the traffic stop instead of giving the officer his full attention, being sarcastic? makes me believe there will be some young kids getting stopped and standing on the side of the road for 45 min. waiting for a dog to walk around the car because they heard how some football player stood up for his rights.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:08 PM   #29
Playmaker
 
mlmpetert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Richmond
Posts: 3,257
Re: Dockett live tweets getting pulled over by police

SB and Monkey, i understand the reason why Docket was stopped, he was speeding and the officer found reason to pull him over. Thatís cool, I donít have a problem with that and it doesnít sound like Djnemo did either. I donít care of a legitimate reason a police officer finds to pull Docket, you, me or anyone else over. I just have a problem with the assertion ďif you have nothing to hideĒ youll submit to an officer searching your car. There is nothing wrong with saying no. I have no problem with a officer asking, but I think its admirable that Docket said no, as a celebrity heís showing fans and kids, who may be more likely to be victims of police abuse, that theres nothing wrong with saying no.

Maybe someone that has a red convertible is more likely to get a speeding ticket or a person in a hooked up car is more likely to get pulled over because those people naturally draw more attention than your average dude in a honda accord (me) but that doesnít mean what happens after the stop should put either of those drivers at a advantage or disadvantage. Its similar to saying that a women who dresses provocatively is asking for it. She may be seeking more attention, however, once you approach her you donít have the right to grab her ass.

I donít think I have ever acted like a asshole to a police officer when pulled over, but ive only been pulled over maybe twice in the last 10 years or so. Ill admit it ive been found guilty of Improper Lane Change, so what youíve never made a mistake before? But if a officer asks to search my car im going to say no regardless if im hiding something or if I just relieved all my sins in the confession booth. If the officer then calls in a k9 or decides to act like a dick and makes me wait for up to 2 hours then I might not finish ever sentence with Sir or Officer. Again if the officer is obstructing my day im not going to be his best bud. Im also not going to be a jackass and say i know my rights and all that high horse stuff but im not going to say thank you after I wait 2 hours as he toys with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
Please, please let there be a labor agreement soon so we can once again talk about Redskins Football!

Sheesh!
Seriously this lockout is killing me..........
__________________
mlmpetert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:18 PM   #30
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 36
Posts: 12,623
Re: Dockett live tweets getting pulled over by police

We need football. This ish is ridiculous guys.
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.39566 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25