Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Are we being fair to Kyle Shanahan?

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2011, 10:23 PM   #31
The Starter
 
30gut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,099
Re: Are we being fair to Kyle Shanahan?

Here's an interesting breakdown of league wide 1st down tendencies and outcomes thru week 9:

Pass (tied for 6th highest) 54%
YPA: 6.82

Run 46%
YPC: 3.65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle
"You have to get to know your team," he said. "I think Iíll do a better job next year calling plays...It was kind of a work in progress for everyone last season. You [have to] get in a rhythm, start getting first downs and get going on long drives."
For Kyle Shanahan, Third Downs Are Key
__________________
No longer were NFL coaches dealing inflexibly with spread [QBs] in ways that caused stunted development for players like [A. Smith and Vick] now, the idea is to bring what the quarterback can do, and what he should do, together as an organic whole
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 07-11-2011, 11:19 PM   #32
Camp Scrub
 
Hog Heaven's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 14
Re: Are we being fair to Kyle Shanahan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLC1054 View Post
I like Keiland Williams as well, a lot, actually. And I agree he's a much better runner in the scheme. But...I guess the illusion was that Torain was more productive. Actually, I agree, I have no idea why Keiland didn't get more touches. YOU WIN THAT ONE, SIR!

But in 2009, Kyle had no running backs. His number one back got injured. They tried inserting guys in there, but couldn't find anyone. But when Arian Foster came in and he played well, they let him play, and he played well.

I don't think Kyle has a problem running the ball, I just think he has to find the guy to run the ball consistently.

Or maybe Mike needs to smack Kyle upside the head sometimes and tell him to run the ball or he'll have to mow the grass
He'll be mowing the grass a lot next year.....
Hog Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:40 PM   #33
Impact Rookie
 
skinster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 754
Re: Are we being fair to Kyle Shanahan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLC1054 View Post
I like Keiland Williams as well, a lot, actually. And I agree he's a much better runner in the scheme. But...I guess the illusion was that Torain was more productive. Actually, I agree, I have no idea why Keiland didn't get more touches. YOU WIN THAT ONE, SIR!

But in 2009, Kyle had no running backs. His number one back got injured. They tried inserting guys in there, but couldn't find anyone. But when Arian Foster came in and he played well, they let him play, and he played well.

I don't think Kyle has a problem running the ball, I just think he has to find the guy to run the ball consistently.

Or maybe Mike needs to smack Kyle upside the head sometimes and tell him to run the ball or he'll have to mow the grass
Its hard to run the ball when your constantly behind in the game.

Its also hard to execute an offense without an offensive line, running back, wide receiving core, fullback, or quarterback that are adequate. Tight end is really all we had.

I blame kyle zero for our lack of offensive production. Personally I think we overachieved offensively due to our lack of talent, but nobody please respond to that, I don't feel like getting into that argument.
skinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:43 PM   #34
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 82,960
Re: Are we being fair to Kyle Shanahan?

Even Kyle admits last year was a work in progress and he needs to improve. I think our offensive shortcomings were mainly due to a lack of talent too, but Kyle S. has to share some blame as well.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:01 PM   #35
Impact Rookie
 
skinster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 754
Re: Are we being fair to Kyle Shanahan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Even Kyle admits last year was a work in progress and he needs to improve. I think our offensive shortcomings were mainly due to a lack of talent too, but Kyle S. has to share some blame as well.
I like that he said that. IMO what that means is that he is going to tweak his systems to more fit the talent around him as opposed to just doing what worked with other teams. I think this is a good indicator that he is smart, sees what works and what doesnt, is growing as a coach, and is able to adapt.

I'm not kyle's number one fan, but like you I don't believe it to be kyle's fault of our offensive shortcomings. I also like that it seems he has high expectations, and believes in his ability to maximize talent and succeed with whoever he has out there (not that he doesn't want the best talent possible). Learning these words is encouraging to me.
skinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:31 PM   #36
MVP
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 37
Posts: 12,345
Re: Are we being fair to Kyle Shanahan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Even Kyle admits last year was a work in progress and he needs to improve. I think our offensive shortcomings were mainly due to a lack of talent too, but Kyle S. has to share some blame as well.
Yeah, i mean its hard to read two people go back and forth about K. Williams and Torrain. A 3rd down back at best and an often injuried FA...lets pray to god someone new emerges at the RB this season. It would probably help Kyle a sh*tton
__________________
Fire Haz, Hire Wade
Chico23231 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:25 PM   #37
The Starter
 
30gut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,099
Re: Are we being fair to Kyle Shanahan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
Here's an interesting breakdown of league wide 1st down tendencies and outcomes thru week 9:

Pass (tied for 6th highest) 54%
YPA: 6.82

Run 46%
YPC: 3.65

For Kyle Shanahan, Third Downs Are Key
Forgot to post the link to the 1st down stats:

Steelers 1st Down Run & Pass Stats Through First Half Of 2010 Season | Steelers Depot
__________________
No longer were NFL coaches dealing inflexibly with spread [QBs] in ways that caused stunted development for players like [A. Smith and Vick] now, the idea is to bring what the quarterback can do, and what he should do, together as an organic whole
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:53 PM   #38
Registered User
 
GusFrerotte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Detroit area
Posts: 4,153
Re: Are we being fair to Kyle Shanahan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Even Kyle admits last year was a work in progress and he needs to improve. I think our offensive shortcomings were mainly due to a lack of talent too, but Kyle S. has to share some blame as well.
I think it is more of a lack of talent than Shanny Jr. I don't thik Shanny Jr is going to be our savior anymore than his dad, but we had a real crappy team last year offensively.
GusFrerotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:45 AM   #39
The Starter
 
30gut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,099
Re: Are we being fair to Kyle Shanahan?

Kyle's statements leads me to believe that hethinks we could have been better with the talent we had.

And I agree with him.
__________________
No longer were NFL coaches dealing inflexibly with spread [QBs] in ways that caused stunted development for players like [A. Smith and Vick] now, the idea is to bring what the quarterback can do, and what he should do, together as an organic whole
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:25 AM   #40
The Starter
 
30gut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,099
Re: Are we being fair to Kyle Shanahan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Rich_Campbell
Rich Campbell
Kyle's priorities for the offense: "We need to run the ball better. We need to run the ball more, and we have to be better on third downs."
Amen.
__________________
No longer were NFL coaches dealing inflexibly with spread [QBs] in ways that caused stunted development for players like [A. Smith and Vick] now, the idea is to bring what the quarterback can do, and what he should do, together as an organic whole
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 09:08 AM   #41
The Starter
 
BaltimoreSkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Reisterstown, MD
Posts: 1,083
Re: Are we being fair to Kyle Shanahan?

Obviously Kyle has learned somethings from is mistakes from last year that is important as a professional in any field. My biggest knock is trying to fit players into his scheme as opposed to developing the scheme for the players. Evolution is part of business if you stick with something and it doesn't work you need to try something new. IMO it took Kyle along time to recognize that something wasn't working. Hopefully he is a little quicker on the uptake this season. I don't buy the whole we will have another year playing this scheme argument. There are too many variables there with player chemistry, players switching teams and having to learn new systems or variations of systems etc.
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 09:44 AM   #42
The Starter
 
#56fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Charlotte NC
Age: 40
Posts: 1,789
Re: Are we being fair to Kyle Shanahan?

You know I am kind of tired of hearing about McNabbs shortcomings as a QB. If he was so bad, how did he produce 9 years of playoff births in 11 years, 6 probowls, 4 NFC championship games, 1 superbowl. And in my eyes a future hall of fame QB. McNabb was NOT the issue with the redskins last year. I am not saying he was picture perfect, but lets face the problems that have plagued this team for the last decade. The offensive line was horrible, provided no protection what so ever. THis goes back to Ramsey when he would get creamed every game. The RB situation was not as bad as people make it out to be. Torain was very productive at his position as was Williams, again the problem was the line didn't make much room for either. As the season went on (last 3 or 4 games) the line seemed to be doing a little better and Torain showed flashes of why I think he can be a very productive RB for this team. Poor draft choices, lack of choices, and overall bad personel moves over the last 10 years have made a huge hole of depth of quality Oline man on this team. To sit back and blame McNabb for all troubles are crazy. McNabb is a good QB, and will show what he can do in Minnesota. I dont care who has been here or who you could dream of having under center here, if the oline isn't' better then this team will struggle every damn year. That has been a common theme for many years.

Kyle seem a bit too head strong like his father. McNabb suggested some things that he thought would allow the team to disguise the weaknesses of the oline, but Kyle would have nothing of it. Like I said, McNabb could have played better, but he was on pace to put up one of the best statistical years of his career. For a guy with zero line, zero running game for much of the season, and basically one receiver, I would look at that as a positive. Lets face it, if the staff wouldn't have switched the D around, we may have won a number more games and we wouldn't be talking about this, we'd be talking about building on last year and going deeper in the playoffs.
#56fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 10:01 AM   #43
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 16,278
Re: Are we being fair to Kyle Shanahan?

kyle's fine, give him time. I don't think we had great personnel out there, and still doesn't have a QB, but we'll see how this year goes.

bigger fish to fry.
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 10:02 AM   #44
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 16,278
Re: Are we being fair to Kyle Shanahan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by #56fanatic View Post
You know I am kind of tired of hearing about McNabbs shortcomings as a QB. If he was so bad, how did he produce 9 years of playoff births in 11 years, 6 probowls, 4 NFC championship games, 1 superbowl. And in my eyes a future hall of fame QB. McNabb was NOT the issue with the redskins last year. I am not saying he was picture perfect, but lets face the problems that have plagued this team for the last decade. The offensive line was horrible, provided no protection what so ever. THis goes back to Ramsey when he would get creamed every game. The RB situation was not as bad as people make it out to be. Torain was very productive at his position as was Williams, again the problem was the line didn't make much room for either. As the season went on (last 3 or 4 games) the line seemed to be doing a little better and Torain showed flashes of why I think he can be a very productive RB for this team. Poor draft choices, lack of choices, and overall bad personel moves over the last 10 years have made a huge hole of depth of quality Oline man on this team. To sit back and blame McNabb for all troubles are crazy. McNabb is a good QB, and will show what he can do in Minnesota. I dont care who has been here or who you could dream of having under center here, if the oline isn't' better then this team will struggle every damn year. That has been a common theme for many years.

Kyle seem a bit too head strong like his father. McNabb suggested some things that he thought would allow the team to disguise the weaknesses of the oline, but Kyle would have nothing of it. Like I said, McNabb could have played better, but he was on pace to put up one of the best statistical years of his career. For a guy with zero line, zero running game for much of the season, and basically one receiver, I would look at that as a positive. Lets face it, if the staff wouldn't have switched the D around, we may have won a number more games and we wouldn't be talking about this, we'd be talking about building on last year and going deeper in the playoffs.

when i saw mcnabb, i sure didn't see a 9 time pro-bowler... i saw a guy throwing balls in the dirt, and the philly fans told us that's what we'd see when we got him. he's probably done.
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 10:41 AM   #45
The Starter
 
MonkFan4Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Age: 37
Posts: 1,840
Re: Are we being fair to Kyle Shanahan?

I have faith in Kyle. I don't understand how so many of us can sit and complain about Dan Snyders impatience and as soon as a move is made that doesn't look like dits taking us directly to the Super Bowl we are ready to dump it. The man has been here one year, his system needs time. We have to get players in and allow the seeds to grow.

I wanted Kyle when he was in Houston, he was the toy in the Mike Shannahan Happy Meal. Give it time Redskins fans, stop being like they guy we love to blam for everything. We act as if we are better, it's time to live by our words.
__________________
Catch me on YouTube !

http://www.youtube.com/user/DowntimeRB?feature=mhw5

The "punishment" by the league : "It's like getting a ticket for going too fast on a road a week ago and they changed the speed limit today"
MonkFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.33612 seconds with 10 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25