Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


2011 Redskins Free Agent Rumors and Reports Thread

Redskins Locker Room


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2011, 09:32 PM   #1
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,672
2011 Redskins Free Agent Rumors and Reports Thread

Thought we could have a fresh thread here about potential Redskins FA signings

When we sign/re-sign someone or lose someone, we can start a new thread on each of them

So anyway, we've seen the report from JLC

NFL.com news: Redskins prepared to make run on big free agents after lockout

Additionally, I've mentioned Davin Joseph in the past (though I think he's a long shot), Ryan Harris (he may not be coming here after all though). They definitely want a G though

Vince Young still a possibility, but it's possible the Titans hold onto him until the last possible minute. And there are other, perhaps more controversial, possibilities. I'll just say I've mentioned them before

A new name that has emerged is LeRon McClain, but I think it might be coming from his side

I expect Moss and Brown back

Rogers no

Rocky Mac likely not

Heyer not sure
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline  

Advertisements
Old 07-15-2011, 09:33 PM   #2
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,672
Re: 2011 Redskins Free Agent Rumors and Reports Thread

Buchanon should be back as well
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline  
Old 07-15-2011, 09:35 PM   #3
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,672
Re: 2011 Redskins Free Agent Rumors and Reports Thread

I've said for a while they like Kelly (but something tells me he may not make the final cut)

A few weeks ago, I penciled in James Jones and Antonio Cromartie as possible FA signings (on the predict the roster thread). They're still in play. Don't know how serious though, the priority is on the lines
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline  
Old 07-15-2011, 09:41 PM   #4
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,747
Re: 2011 Redskins Free Agent Rumors and Reports Thread

Jones would be nice. Good to hear the lines are a priority.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline  
Old 07-15-2011, 09:44 PM   #5
Playmaker
 
Alvin Walton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Holland, Michigan
Posts: 4,301
Re: 2011 Redskins Free Agent Rumors and Reports Thread

AFAIC we need a proper replacemnt for Moss and Rogers, toot sweet.
I've seen a hella lotta rumors about them going elsewhere.
__________________
REDSKINS FAN SINCE 1968
Alvin Walton is offline  
Old 07-15-2011, 09:47 PM   #6
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,672
Re: 2011 Redskins Free Agent Rumors and Reports Thread

Just about every reliable source I have talked to says Moss is coming back
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline  
Old 07-15-2011, 09:50 PM   #7
Playmaker
 
Alvin Walton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Holland, Michigan
Posts: 4,301
Re: 2011 Redskins Free Agent Rumors and Reports Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Just about every reliable source I have talked to says Moss is coming back
I'm very much in favor of that!!!
I gotta believe he's a fan favorite.
:headbange
__________________
REDSKINS FAN SINCE 1968
Alvin Walton is offline  
Old 07-15-2011, 10:18 PM   #8
MVP
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 37
Posts: 11,630
Re: 2011 Redskins Free Agent Rumors and Reports Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I've said for a while they like Kelly (but something tells me he may not make the final cut)

A few weeks ago, I penciled in James Jones and Antonio Cromartie as possible FA signings (on the predict the roster thread). They're still in play. Don't know how serious though, the priority is on the lines
Seriously dont know about Jones, seems i remember some serious drops last year. Bring back Moss and let Jones seek employment elsewhere.

Dont you think a Cromartie/Hall starting a CB is too much of a liability? Cromartie played a little better than I thought he would, but those 2 together...both seem to have similar issues in coverage. Both seem to take too many chances at times and Cromartie seems to get in a funk sometimes where he starts getting picked on by QBs and im not just referring to last year just because of Revis being so dominant on the otherside, but at the Chargers too...the Chargers had zero problems letting him go. There defense maintain a pretty solid ranking after letting him go. Rather have Carlos.
__________________
Ditka for President
Chico23231 is online now  
Old 07-15-2011, 10:23 PM   #9
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,672
Re: 2011 Redskins Free Agent Rumors and Reports Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Seriously dont know about Jones, seems i remember some serious drops last year. Bring back Moss and let Jones seek employment elsewhere.

Dont you think a Cromartie/Hall starting a CB is too much of a liability? Cromartie played a little better than I thought he would, but those 2 together...both seem to have similar issues in coverage. Both seem to take too many chances at times and Cromartie seems to get in a funk sometimes where he starts getting picked on by QBs and im not just referring to last year just because of Revis being so dominant on the otherside, but at the Chargers too...the Chargers had zero problems letting him go. There defense maintain a pretty solid ranking after letting him go. Rather have Carlos.
Cro is very much a long shot, if for some reason there isn't a viable market for him (which would surprise me) we'll go after him

James Jones is considered one of the league's top up and comers, but people may also have there SB Champion blinders on. The #1 WR priority is not Jones, not Holmes, not Braylon but bringing back Moss
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline  
Old 07-15-2011, 11:02 PM   #10
The Starter
 
30gut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,099
Re: 2011 Redskins Free Agent Rumors and Reports Thread

My FA wishlist OL:

Samson Satele-Center
Tyson Clabo
Harvey Dahl
Marshall Yanda
Jared Gaither
Jermon Bushrod
Charles Johnson

I'm glad to hear that Harris isn't a lock/front runner; I think he's over rated.
Yeah, he has scheme familiarity and yes he's young but he's also injury prone.

I can't imagine why we would want Jammal Brown over some of the other FA OTs.
He's older; he's essentially playing out of position and may want a good amount of money.
I think we should be able to do better then a RT who was barely more effective then Stephon Heyer.

If Heyer basically matched Jamal Browns level of play and can play OG in a pinch he's a cheap versatile swing OL; I would re-sign him. (Yes, I said re-sign Heyer)

Heck, I would be okay with a journeyman brought in to compete with Clint Oldenburg as I would be with Jammal Brown and Ryan Harris.

Journeymen: Basically looking for the FA versions of our own Monty/Licht guys that got a chance to play and played well enough to garner a look as a starter:
Pat McQuistan
Ryan Cook

Longshots to bring in to compete for the job:
Rashad Butler (scheme familiarity w/ Kyle in Houston but only 4 career starts)
__________________
No longer were NFL coaches dealing inflexibly with spread [QBs] in ways that caused stunted development for players like [A. Smith and Vick] now, the idea is to bring what the quarterback can do, and what he should do, together as an organic whole
30gut is offline  
Old 07-15-2011, 11:28 PM   #11
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,672
Re: 2011 Redskins Free Agent Rumors and Reports Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
My FA wishlist OL:

Samson Satele-Center
Tyson Clabo
Harvey Dahl
Marshall Yanda
Jared Gaither
Jermon Bushrod
Charles Johnson

I'm glad to hear that Harris isn't a lock/front runner; I think he's over rated.
Yeah, he has scheme familiarity and yes he's young but he's also injury prone.

I can't imagine why we would want Jammal Brown over some of the other FA OTs.
He's older; he's essentially playing out of position and may want a good amount of money.
I think we should be able to do better then a RT who was barely more effective then Stephon Heyer.

If Heyer basically matched Jamal Browns level of play and can play OG in a pinch he's a cheap versatile swing OL; I would re-sign him. (Yes, I said re-sign Heyer)

Heck, I would be okay with a journeyman brought in to compete with Clint Oldenburg as I would be with Jammal Brown and Ryan Harris.

Journeymen: Basically looking for the FA versions of our own Monty/Licht guys that got a chance to play and played well enough to garner a look as a starter:
Pat McQuistan
Ryan Cook

Longshots to bring in to compete for the job:
Rashad Butler (scheme familiarity w/ Kyle in Houston but only 4 career starts)
They really do like Brown and hope to keep him. Personally, I think part of it is "we can't lose both Donovan and Brown after last year's trades" but that's just me. There was a time when Brown and Harris was what they were targeting, as in go after both. Now it looks like Harris is more of a secondary option. The plan with Brown all long was to let him test the market first, but it appears Brown doesn't want to. Or maybe there's no market out there for him.

I'd be stunned if Yanda leaves Baltimore

Keep hearing Gaither to Dallas or maybe the Bears (I think it was the Bears)

Your starting C opening day is likely Rabach, unless they can get a guard to allow Montgomery or Kory L to move inside
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline  
Old 07-15-2011, 11:47 PM   #12
Playmaker
 
sportscurmudgeon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,159
Re: 2011 Redskins Free Agent Rumors and Reports Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
My FA wishlist OL:

Samson Satele-Center
Tyson Clabo
Harvey Dahl
Marshall Yanda
Jared Gaither
Jermon Bushrod
Charles Johnson

I'm glad to hear that Harris isn't a lock/front runner; I think he's over rated.
Yeah, he has scheme familiarity and yes he's young but he's also injury prone.

I can't imagine why we would want Jammal Brown over some of the other FA OTs.
He's older; he's essentially playing out of position and may want a good amount of money.
I think we should be able to do better then a RT who was barely more effective then Stephon Heyer.

If Heyer basically matched Jamal Browns level of play and can play OG in a pinch he's a cheap versatile swing OL; I would re-sign him. (Yes, I said re-sign Heyer)

Heck, I would be okay with a journeyman brought in to compete with Clint Oldenburg as I would be with Jammal Brown and Ryan Harris.

Journeymen: Basically looking for the FA versions of our own Monty/Licht guys that got a chance to play and played well enough to garner a look as a starter:
Pat McQuistan
Ryan Cook

Longshots to bring in to compete for the job:
Rashad Butler (scheme familiarity w/ Kyle in Houston but only 4 career starts)


If Heyer could do this or do that...

Reminds me of the old saying:

Balls, said the Queen. If I had a pair, I'd be King.
__________________
The Sports Curmudgeon
www.sportscurmudgeon.com
But don't get me wrong, I love sports...
sportscurmudgeon is offline  
Old 07-15-2011, 11:47 PM   #13
The Starter
 
30gut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,099
Re: 2011 Redskins Free Agent Rumors and Reports Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
They really do like Brown and hope to keep him......Your starting C opening day is likely Rabach, unless they can get a guard to allow Montgomery or Kory L to move inside
Then we really need to find a OG, really b/c Casey....um...well you watch the games.

I can understand Jamal Brown as an insurance policy if they don't land a better RT but I don't know why they would specifically target him.
__________________
No longer were NFL coaches dealing inflexibly with spread [QBs] in ways that caused stunted development for players like [A. Smith and Vick] now, the idea is to bring what the quarterback can do, and what he should do, together as an organic whole
30gut is offline  
Old 07-16-2011, 12:05 AM   #14
The Starter
 
30gut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,099
Re: 2011 Redskins Free Agent Rumors and Reports Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscurmudgeon View Post
If Heyer could do this or do that...

Reminds me of the old saying:

Balls, said the Queen. If I had a pair, I'd be King.
I was typing fast If might not convey what I meant.
Due to the fact that Heyer rotated and was interchangeable w/ Jammal Brown at RT......
__________________
No longer were NFL coaches dealing inflexibly with spread [QBs] in ways that caused stunted development for players like [A. Smith and Vick] now, the idea is to bring what the quarterback can do, and what he should do, together as an organic whole
30gut is offline  
Old 07-16-2011, 12:05 AM   #15
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,672
Re: 2011 Redskins Free Agent Rumors and Reports Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
Then we really need to find a OG, really b/c Casey....um...well you watch the games.

I can understand Jamal Brown as an insurance policy if they don't land a better RT but I don't know why they would specifically target him.
Teammates and coaches swear by Casey
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.31028 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25