Warpath  

Home | Forums | Shop | Donate




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


How far can Beck take us?

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2011, 12:00 AM   #376
Registered User
 
wilsowilso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Age: 44
Posts: 2,841
Re: How far can Beck take us?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Shanahan took this job to try to capitalize on an advantageous situation left behind by Zorn: low expectations and a boatload of talent on the roster.
What are you talking about Tripp?

A boatload of talent on the roster?

Redskin fans have slogged through this pathetic twenty year campaign of barely almost passable mediocrity and they sure as shit know the talent level on the Redskins has been terribly terribly overrated forever. By ourselves mostly. And Mr. Smithers (aka Vinny)

They were just paid like talented players.

Shanny was well aware of this. He has a different plan.

I agree with most everything else you said.
wilsowilso is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-11-2011, 12:35 AM   #377
Special Teams
 
IRISHSKIN24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 131
Re: How far can Beck take us?

[QUOTE=GTripp0012;822070]I feel like this season is infinitely more likely to end in a Shanahan resignation/retirement party than any other outcome.

I strongly but respectfully disagree, i think this year is the year that we begin to compete again, i'd say 8-8. Shanahan's cleaning up after "Vinny and Dan's BOGUS ADVENTURE"/10 + year rager, filled with a lot of excess in every area. He had to make a plan, and take out the garbage. this year he knows what tools he has and what he doesn't, he's got guys who bought into the system, most of whom know what is to be expected or at least will by the end of preseason. so why after light is visible after this dismal tunnel of franchise history is starting to end will he just walk away? he always talks about full commitment/effort, so why would he leave a job unfinished?
IRISHSKIN24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:37 AM   #378
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 32
Posts: 14,750
Re: How far can Beck take us?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscurmudgeon View Post
Dirtbag:

Maybe we could get Terrell Owens to do a Q&A for the Warpath. That might be fun...
In terms of blowhards

Romanowski > T.O

People just forget because T.O has been around more recently.
__________________
"It's nice to be important, but its more important to be nice."
- Scooter

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 01:23 AM   #379
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 34
Posts: 17,210
Re: How far can Beck take us?

mike will stay past this year, i'd bet on it gtripp he's been around long enough and he's a lifer, and i mean... who else is danny going to get? fisher (sp?) is the only good candidate out there.
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 01:34 AM   #380
Special Teams
 
NLC1054's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 279
Re: How far can Beck take us?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
Isn't McNabb famous for those hell weeks in Arizona? I'm sorry, I mean I'm looking for reasons why McNabb failed in DC, but I'm not about to pin laziness on him just so we can look righteous.

If I had to guess I'd stay stubbornness was most most likely the biggest culprit. This is McNabb we're talking about here. Not Dan late night at the cabana club Marino.

When we talk about McNabb being lazy, it's not necessarily that he didn't work out, or that he didn't spend time in the film room, or do the things the quarterback is "supposed" to do.

It's that he was the last guy on the field in practice, and he lacked urgency and tempo in practice. His chill attitude didn't gel well with Mike's no non-sense approach. His lack of urgency on the field and in the huddle led to a lot of unnecessary delay of game penalties, and it didn't allow time to make adjustments at the line. Part of what helped the o-line with Rex in there was the fact they got in and out of the huddle quicker, which allowed the line time to adjust.

A faster tempo gives the offense more time to adjust and the defense less time to do the things they need to do.

On top of being either unwilling or unable to adjust to the way Kyle does things, and struggling to learn the playbook, he didn't even have the best sense or urgency to operate the offense with the plays he did know.

I think that's the definition of "lazy" here, and while Mike likes Rex and Beck a little more. They've got a little more hustle on the field.
NLC1054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 01:43 AM   #381
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 29
Posts: 15,994
Re: How far can Beck take us?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsowilso View Post
What are you talking about Tripp?

A boatload of talent on the roster?

Redskin fans have slogged through this pathetic twenty year campaign of barely almost passable mediocrity and they sure as shit know the talent level on the Redskins has been terribly terribly overrated forever. By ourselves mostly. And Mr. Smithers (aka Vinny)

They were just paid like talented players.

Shanny was well aware of this. He has a different plan.

I agree with most everything else you said.
Well, when Albert Haynesworth, Andre Carter, Donovan McNabb, and Fred Davis sit in favor of Ma'ake Kemoeatu, Rocky McIntosh, Rex Grossman, and Mike Sellers, I do understand why someone would think this.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 01:46 AM   #382
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 29
Posts: 15,994
Re: How far can Beck take us?

I apologize for anyone who perceives my above post as overly negative, as I'm just trying to read between the lines. Coaches who are Mike Shanahan's age don't come in to rebuild franchises or happily sustain long periods of losing. I don't know if any coach has taken a job (recently) at Shanahan's age or older, had back to back losing seasons, and then managed to return for a third year. That's way less fun than retirement.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 01:58 AM   #383
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 34
Posts: 17,210
Re: How far can Beck take us?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
I apologize for anyone who perceives my above post as overly negative, as I'm just trying to read between the lines. Coaches who are Mike Shanahan's age don't come in to rebuild franchises or happily sustain long periods of losing. I don't know if any coach has taken a job (recently) at Shanahan's age or older, had back to back losing seasons, and then managed to return for a third year. That's way less fun than retirement.
but he's a coaching lifer, he literally doesn't have anything else to do... he rather still be playing, if he could.

I don't know... there's stubborn and then there's this guy, so i don't see it so soon, especially since he has the keys to the kingdom and the fans aren't revolting... and i don't think (besides rex getting hurt and the qb play sinking past terrible) it'll go sour unless we go 4-12 this year.
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:04 AM   #384
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 29
Posts: 15,994
Re: How far can Beck take us?

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
mike will stay past this year, i'd bet on it gtripp he's been around long enough and he's a lifer, and i mean... who else is danny going to get? fisher (sp?) is the only good candidate out there.
Lifers who stick around (such as Dick Vermell in KC, Marty Schottenheimer in SD, Norv Turner in SD, Herm in KC, Wade in DAL, Coughlin in NY) typically didn't have to deal with multiple losing seasons in a row before retirement. In fact, none of those guys had consecutive losing seasons after their first job and returned for a third. Herm got the closest, I suppose. The most "recent" example I found of a older, re-tread coach who took a job then had back to back losing seasons and didn't call it a career was Vermeil in St. Louis. But he won the super bowl in his third year.

Mariucci went three losing seasons in Detroit, but he was ten years younger than Shanahan when Detroit hired him.

Parcells, Gibbs, Holmgren, Dungy all had winning seasons in one of their first two years back. If we're going to make the argument that Shanny can go 5-11 this year and won't step down at the end of the season, only Dennis Green was hired in his mid-late fifties by an organization that was struggling, then took three years to try and turn it around. Needless to say, I think either Shanahan's work pays off and he stays, or it doesn't and he leaves. I don't see a middle ground here. Winning is fun. Losing means retirement.

This applies to Chan Gailey as well, by the way. Though I have a good feeling that the Bills might avoid a losing season this year and keep Gailey employed.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:07 AM   #385
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 29
Posts: 15,994
Re: How far can Beck take us?

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
but he's a coaching lifer, he literally doesn't have anything else to do... he rather still be playing, if he could.

I don't know... there's stubborn and then there's this guy, so i don't see it so soon, especially since he has the keys to the kingdom and the fans aren't revolting... and i don't think (besides rex getting hurt and the qb play sinking past terrible) it'll go sour unless we go 4-12 this year.
I don't know. I feel like the exception you're making in terms of expecting Shanahan back in 2012 would be the status quo here. I think he's fully expecting to win with this team, and I don't think he's looking ahead.

So...yeah, two losing seasons in a row, and I think he'll let someone else have a try. It's not like he's set up his successor for a championship run or anything that he's simply too tired to take himself. Either he's built something here or he hasn't done squat. We'll know in four months.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:12 AM   #386
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 29
Posts: 15,994
Re: How far can Beck take us?

The other thing to consider is that Mike hasn't ever had consecutive 9+ loss seasons in his career. Ever.

They are definitely in uncharted territory here.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 04:46 AM   #387
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 34
Posts: 17,210
Re: How far can Beck take us?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
The other thing to consider is that Mike hasn't ever had consecutive 9+ loss seasons in his career. Ever.

They are definitely in uncharted territory here.
that said, he doesn't have a QB, so what can you expect? mike's definitely been able to do more with less, but i'm just not seeing him ready to go... if things really fall apart and it looks like last season where we're playing the wrong defense, don't have the right personnel and can't stop anyone, then yeah, i can see it.

I don't really see that happening though. they put 4 new bodies in the front 7, and at least 3 are going to help a lot (kerrigan still needs to get up to speed a bit), and the teams hasn't really gotten worse anywhere. OL is improved - rabach is gone, we've got a 6th starter for depth, and its a very fast line overall. helu torrain and hightower are better than our RBs last year, and jabar/donte beats the crap out of galloway/that other crappy guy from last year, even if hankerson doesn't blow it up.

anyways, i'm saying, with drew brees, this is a playoff team if only... but i don't see us being much worse, the team is younger, we've got next year's picks, and andrew luck may be a possibility. so we're not set up to be awful going into next year.

QB is awful, and if this year was super important, they would had overpaid for orton and gauranteed average, but acceptable QB play for the next 3-4 years... obviously that's not the way to a superbowl though, so i'm assuming they're waiting to get their guy next year, and that mike's on board with that.

gibbs wasn't an nfl lifer, he was out for a decade, and the 2nd time around he had casserly replaced with a moron committee that didn't really do him a lot of favors. after his 2nd year, the team wasn't any better, younger, or draft pick rich then when he came.

if we go 8-8, 7-9, whatever and qb play is killing us, that's a one stop problem. I just don't see it being that dismal in 4 months, but i guess we'll see soon enough.
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:34 AM   #388
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 29
Posts: 15,994
Re: How far can Beck take us?

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
that said, he doesn't have a QB, so what can you expect? mike's definitely been able to do more with less, but i'm just not seeing him ready to go... if things really fall apart and it looks like last season where we're playing the wrong defense, don't have the right personnel and can't stop anyone, then yeah, i can see it.

I don't really see that happening though. they put 4 new bodies in the front 7, and at least 3 are going to help a lot (kerrigan still needs to get up to speed a bit), and the teams hasn't really gotten worse anywhere. OL is improved - rabach is gone, we've got a 6th starter for depth, and its a very fast line overall. helu torrain and hightower are better than our RBs last year, and jabar/donte beats the crap out of galloway/that other crappy guy from last year, even if hankerson doesn't blow it up.

anyways, i'm saying, with drew brees, this is a playoff team if only... but i don't see us being much worse, the team is younger, we've got next year's picks, and andrew luck may be a possibility. so we're not set up to be awful going into next year.

QB is awful, and if this year was super important, they would had overpaid for orton and gauranteed average, but acceptable QB play for the next 3-4 years... obviously that's not the way to a superbowl though, so i'm assuming they're waiting to get their guy next year, and that mike's on board with that.

gibbs wasn't an nfl lifer, he was out for a decade, and the 2nd time around he had casserly replaced with a moron committee that didn't really do him a lot of favors. after his 2nd year, the team wasn't any better, younger, or draft pick rich then when he came.

if we go 8-8, 7-9, whatever and qb play is killing us, that's a one stop problem. I just don't see it being that dismal in 4 months, but i guess we'll see soon enough.
Well I think the Orton thing is that Shanahan thinks he probably has at least one QB better in Rex/Beck/Clemens, and bringing in Orton would have cluttered things up more than solved them. Which is the only reason I can imagine he's not here.

I'm still not seeing Shanahan as fundamentally different to other recent NFL re-hires; I think you're stretching a bit there.

If he's right on the QB position, there's probably enough else useful, interesting talent here in it's prime to make the NFC East race interesting, if nothing else. 8 or 9 wins is do-able with strong QB/WR play. I think he'll come back if this team can get to that level.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:49 AM   #389
Gamebreaker
 
NC_Skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 13,125
Re: How far can Beck take us?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
Isn't McNabb famous for those hell weeks in Arizona? I'm sorry, I mean I'm looking for reasons why McNabb failed in DC, but I'm not about to pin laziness on him just so we can look righteous.

If I had to guess I'd stay stubbornness was most most likely the biggest culprit. This is McNabb we're talking about here. Not Dan late night at the cabana club Marino.

Why do you find it so hard to believe? Just because McNabb has a "hell week" in Arizona once a year doesn't mean he isn't lazy. I think Romanowski was most likely referencing his laziness when it came to viewing/studying game film.

It's been hinted quite a bit that McNabbs work ethic was indeed in question and major issue with Shanny. (note his dealings with Plummer as well) Shanny wants a guy who's going to put that extra time in, McDummy apparently wasn't that sort of guy.
__________________
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:40 AM   #390
MTK
‎\m/
 
MTK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 44
Posts: 89,208
Re: How far can Beck take us?

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
mike will stay past this year, i'd bet on it gtripp he's been around long enough and he's a lifer, and i mean... who else is danny going to get? fisher (sp?) is the only good candidate out there.
Agreed. I'd bet on it too.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.08611 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25