Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Chris Chester Signs

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2011, 03:47 PM   #91
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,443
Re: Chris Chester Signs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydad View Post
At least we didn't trade a Pro Bowl CB and 2nd-Round pick for a backup QB...then pay him $63 million.
And that's why the Cardinals are the Cardinals. That was one STUPID move. If I were them I just would've tried to get Bulger and keep the pick and your top corner. Terrible awful over pay. It seems that they've just gone downhill after that SB run.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 07-29-2011, 03:51 PM   #92
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,443
Re: Chris Chester Signs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Shouldn't we at least wait to see how they pan out on the field before determining if they are bad contracts or not. Plus we don't know how the contracts are even structured.
I just kind of get the feeling that it's just the same old same old. The only move I really like is Cofield. He's at least shown he's a baller. The other guys are sort of so so. Let's sign guys and see who sticks. However I assume cause of the cap that we have to spend money? Is that correct since we're so far under the cap?
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 03:54 PM   #93
Living Legend
 
Ruhskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 15,848
Re: Chris Chester Signs

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
I just kind of get the feeling that it's just the same old same old. The only move I really like is Cofield. He's at least shown he's a baller. The other guys are sort of so so. Let's sign guys and see who sticks. However I assume cause of the cap that we have to spend money? Is that correct since we're so far under the cap?
It's funny that you mention Cofield, b/c I see his signing somewhat similar to what we have done before, sign a FA that doesn't fit our scheme. Otherwise, I don't see how these signings are similar to the busts we have had before.
__________________
R.I.P. #21

New words created on The Warpath:
Rewalsr - Somretimes - Fualt - Jersesy - Itiot - Composetory
Afeard - Storgn - Empliment - Gaissn - Saftys - Minnisota
Faviort - Hatter - Phsyched - Foof - Heloing - Brutual
Stroried

"Give an opinion and move on. Your life doesn't depend on winning the internet." -FRPLG
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 03:55 PM   #94
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,275
Re: Chris Chester Signs

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
And that's why the Cardinals are the Cardinals. That was one STUPID move. If I were them I just would've tried to get Bulger and keep the pick and your top corner. Terrible awful over pay. It seems that they've just gone downhill after that SB run.
I thought Orton was the best choice for them.
__________________
Not sent from a Droid, iPhone, Blackberry or toaster
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:01 PM   #95
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,256
Re: Chris Chester Signs

I'll be honest, I didn't know much about Chester or Bowen, good or bad, before yesterday. That said I'm willing to see what they've got before I write them off, or praise them as good signings. I'll give them an incomplete for now.

Thought this was interesting

Secret Superstar: Stephen Bowen, Dallas Cowboys | ProFootballFocus.com
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:01 PM   #96
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,275
Re: Chris Chester Signs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
It's funny that you mention Cofield, b/c I see his signing somewhat similar to what we have done before, sign a FA that doesn't fit our scheme. Otherwise, I don't see how these signings are similar to the busts we have had before.
Cofield has played nose tackle before. Just because the Giants have been running a 4-3 recently doesn't mean Cofield doesn't fit our scheme. He's over 300 pounds but is quick and gets to the QB. He'll do fine in the middle.



Here's a nice article/discussion about him:

Snide Debate: Is Barry Cofield The Answer for 25th Ranked Defense? - Hogs Haven


More:
Barry Cofield Signs With Redskins CBS Washington

NFL Rumors: Washington Redskins Agree to Terms with Giants DT Barry Cofield | Bleacher Report

Redskins could use Barry Cofield in a number of ways - Hard Hits - The Washington Post
__________________
Not sent from a Droid, iPhone, Blackberry or toaster
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:13 PM   #97
Living Legend
 
Ruhskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 15,848
Re: Chris Chester Signs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydad View Post
Cofield has played nose tackle before. Just because the Giants have been running a 4-3 recently doesn't mean Cofield doesn't fit our scheme. He's over 300 pounds but is quick and gets to the QB. He'll do fine in the middle.
Yes, but he's been a 4-3 DT for the Giants for his entire career. I'm sure he could be a fine NT, but once again if you are going to spend money you want someone that doesn't need to re-learn the position and/or needing to gain 20-30 lbs.

I'm not sh*tting on the signing, but I would have signed either Bowen or Cofield, and sign a NT with experience in a 3-4 position (i.e. Franklin).
__________________
R.I.P. #21

New words created on The Warpath:
Rewalsr - Somretimes - Fualt - Jersesy - Itiot - Composetory
Afeard - Storgn - Empliment - Gaissn - Saftys - Minnisota
Faviort - Hatter - Phsyched - Foof - Heloing - Brutual
Stroried

"Give an opinion and move on. Your life doesn't depend on winning the internet." -FRPLG
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:14 PM   #98
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,275
Re: Chris Chester Signs

We may not be done and Franklin has not signed anywhere yet.

Antonio Bryant could be valuable too, a lot of people are forgetting him. Plus, Jarvis Jenkins, pick #41 in the draft can play NT (we're planning on using him at end for now) and even Chris Nield too.
__________________
Not sent from a Droid, iPhone, Blackberry or toaster
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:16 PM   #99
Living Legend
 
Ruhskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 15,848
Re: Chris Chester Signs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydad View Post
We may not be done and Franklin has not signed anywhere yet.
I highly doubt we would sign Franklin at this point. I think getting Franklin would be better than having Cofield switch to NT.
__________________
R.I.P. #21

New words created on The Warpath:
Rewalsr - Somretimes - Fualt - Jersesy - Itiot - Composetory
Afeard - Storgn - Empliment - Gaissn - Saftys - Minnisota
Faviort - Hatter - Phsyched - Foof - Heloing - Brutual
Stroried

"Give an opinion and move on. Your life doesn't depend on winning the internet." -FRPLG
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:18 PM   #100
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,275
Re: Chris Chester Signs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
I highly doubt we would sign Franklin at this point. I think getting Franklin would be better than having Cofield switch to NT.
You're missing the point, he's not switching to NT...he has been a NT.

Played NT in college and was used like one occasionally with NY too.
__________________
Not sent from a Droid, iPhone, Blackberry or toaster
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:24 PM   #101
Impact Rookie
 
sdskinsfan2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
Age: 31
Posts: 816
Re: Chris Chester Signs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
Yes, but he's been a 4-3 DT for the Giants for his entire career. I'm sure he could be a fine NT, but once again if you are going to spend money you want someone that doesn't need to re-learn the position and/or needing to gain 20-30 lbs.

I'm not sh*tting on the signing, but I would have signed either Bowen or Cofield, and sign a NT with experience in a 3-4 position (i.e. Franklin).
I like that Cofield and J. Jenkins have the skills where they can at least rotate in at NT throughout the course of a game.

Our D-line went from being a really weak spot to having a lot of pretty good players. Carriker, Bowen, Jenkins, Cofield, Bryant, Holliday. I like where they are at WAY more than where the were last season.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:24 PM   #102
Living Legend
 
Ruhskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 15,848
Re: Chris Chester Signs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydad View Post
You're missing the point, he's not switching to NT...he has been a NT.

Played NT in college and was used like one occasionally with NY too.
Yes, but he was a 4-3 NT. The Giants have a 4-3 defense, much different than having the experience of being a 3-4 NT. They are similar, but not the same. The reason Franklin seemed like a target, was because of his experience. Once again, Cofield could become a good 3-4 NT, but he could not. Much different than bringing a vet that has already the experience of being a 3-4 NT.

Now, if we are running a Wade Phillip-style of the 3-4, then Cofield would seem more suited as nose, since that style of the 3-4 uses a lighter NT that attacks the gap (like Ratliff with the Cowboys).

Still, Cofield could become a good traditional 3-4 NT, but we also have Bryant, Jenkins, and Neild who could do the same.
__________________
R.I.P. #21

New words created on The Warpath:
Rewalsr - Somretimes - Fualt - Jersesy - Itiot - Composetory
Afeard - Storgn - Empliment - Gaissn - Saftys - Minnisota
Faviort - Hatter - Phsyched - Foof - Heloing - Brutual
Stroried

"Give an opinion and move on. Your life doesn't depend on winning the internet." -FRPLG
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:31 PM   #103
Pro Bowl
 
SirClintonPortis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,052
Re: Chris Chester Signs

Cofield will be a depth NT, probably behind Bryant and/or Neild.
__________________
Analysis using datasets (aka stats) is an attempt at reverse-engineering a player's "goodness".

Virtuosity remembered, douchebaggery forgotten.

The ideal character profile shoved down modern Western men and women's throats is Don Juan.
SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:41 PM   #104
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,635
Re: Chris Chester Signs

I doubt Cofield is coming here to be 3rd on the depth chart, and with one of the guys ahead of him a 7th round rookie
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:42 PM   #105
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,275
Re: Chris Chester Signs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirClintonPortis View Post
Cofield will be a depth NT, probably behind Bryant and/or Neild.
Not a chance. He's starting and Bryant will be his main competition. I think we'll rotate those two a lot.
__________________
Not sent from a Droid, iPhone, Blackberry or toaster
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.32181 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25