Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Arizona RB Tim Hightower traded to Redskins.

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2011, 05:04 PM   #181
Playmaker
 
freddyg12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,540
Re: Arizona RB Tim Hightower traded to Redskins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
Yao Ming is available. Let's sign him!!
bad feet, think his knees were a problem too, doesn't get in & out of his breaks quick enough!
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-01-2011, 05:07 PM   #182
Playmaker
 
over the mountain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: close to the edge
Posts: 3,578
Re: Arizona RB Tim Hightower traded to Redskins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
Yao Ming is available. Let's sign him!!
didnt some team back in the 70s sign a real tall guy just for the purpose of blocking kicks?

a quick quick google search didnt reveal anything but i did come across this gem of an idea the chiefs used back in the day where they would put this real tall dude (stroud) who would stand at the goal post and jump up and try to block a field goal if it was close to the cross bar.

on those long kicks, why not? it would take away one of the 11 guys trying to block the kick at the LOS and long kicks are easier to block since the kicker needs a lower trajectory to go the distance but still .. i could see someone doing that again.
__________________
If anyone has tickets they cannot sell or use, please send me a PM if you would be willing to give them to me. Thank you.
over the mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:17 PM   #183
Impact Rookie
 
Stuck in TX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Age: 29
Posts: 545
Re: Arizona RB Tim Hightower traded to Redskins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
didnt some team back in the 70s sign a real tall guy just for the purpose of blocking kicks?

a quick quick google search didnt reveal anything but i did come across this gem of an idea the chiefs used back in the day where they would put this real tall dude (stroud) who would stand at the goal post and jump up and try to block a field goal if it was close to the cross bar.

on those long kicks, why not? it would take away one of the 11 guys trying to block the kick at the LOS and long kicks are easier to block since the kicker needs a lower trajectory to go the distance but still .. i could see someone doing that again.
Only a true Skins fan can justify signing Yao Ming. Props!
__________________
We will miss you Sean.
RIP
1983-2007

REMEMBER VT
Go Hokies
Stuck in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:22 PM   #184
The Starter
 
vallin21's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Vienna Va
Posts: 1,029
Re: Arizona RB Tim Hightower traded to Redskins.

Mike Shanahan: Tim Hightower to challenge Ryan Torain in Redskins; backfield - The Insider - The Washington Post
vallin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:58 PM   #185
Camp Scrub
 
tomsawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 53
Re: Arizona RB Tim Hightower traded to Redskins.

since shanny loves competition,anybody think that shanny will try and sign ex falcons RB Jason Snelling ? i don't think he will but this has been a crazy week so,who knows?
tomsawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:23 PM   #186
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 29
Posts: 14,733
Re: Arizona RB Tim Hightower traded to Redskins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsawyer View Post
since shanny loves competition,anybody think that shanny will try and sign ex falcons RB Jason Snelling ? i don't think he will but this has been a crazy week so,who knows?
Honestly I think his love of competition is a bit overboard. Don't get me wrong it's good, but there has got to be a point where it's counterproductive bringing in so many players, especially veterans that are capable of actually making rosters, not the usual warm camp bodies you see coming in to get the team count up to 90 during the summer.
__________________
"It's nice to be important, but its more important to be nice."
- Scooter

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:28 PM   #187
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,967
Re: Arizona RB Tim Hightower traded to Redskins.

So since there was some question of what happens if Holliday had refused to report, this is kind of relevant to that...

Broderick Bunkley refused to go to Cleveland when the Eagles traded him on Saturday to the Browns for a 2012 5th round pick. So the trade was voided and now he's going to Denver for a 2013 pick. I assume he has agreed to report there.

I'm not sure what would have happened if the Eagles had not been able to find another trade partner.
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:41 PM   #188
Pro Bowl
 
SirClintonPortis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,052
Re: Arizona RB Tim Hightower traded to Redskins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
That is one of the more nonsensical things I've read on this board in a while. His stats are inflated because the coaches use him more? Yeah, you tend to have better stats than the next guy if you play more. Also, wouldn't the coaches use the better player more often? Not really irrelevant.
And the coaches deliberately decided to use him as the goal line back, thus giving him more opportunities to snatch touchdowns. The decision appears justified by his proficiency in said situations. The coaches could have used him in the goal line due to non-utilitarian reasons, such as personal preference or the like. Either way, his use as a goal line vulture would likely have given him a higher TD total for the season. Hence, his TD total is not particularly valuable in determining whether he's going to do well or suck.

Now, I probably should have worded the sentence a little better since the word inflate carries the connotation that the coaches were trying to make his numbers look good for no good reason.
__________________
Analysis using datasets (aka stats) is an attempt at reverse-engineering a player's "goodness".

Virtuosity remembered, douchebaggery forgotten.

The ideal character profile shoved down modern Western men and women's throats is Don Juan.
SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:11 PM   #189
Living Legend
 
skinsfaninok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Oklahoma City (Originally from Biloxi, Ms)
Age: 27
Posts: 16,355
Re: Arizona RB Tim Hightower traded to Redskins.

I'm excited for Hightower, he'll be a real good back IMO for a few years, Add ATV and our run game should be very good.

I'd say Hightower starts Torain at 2 and Helu as the 3
__________________
THUNDER UP

"if you're good at something, never do it for free"- The Joker

skinsfaninok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:13 PM   #190
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 36
Posts: 12,623
Re: Arizona RB Tim Hightower traded to Redskins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirClintonPortis View Post
And the coaches deliberately decided to use him as the goal line back, thus giving him more opportunities to snatch touchdowns. The decision appears justified by his proficiency in said situations. The coaches could have used him in the goal line due to non-utilitarian reasons, such as personal preference or the like. Either way, his use as a goal line vulture would likely have given him a higher TD total for the season. Hence, his TD total is not particularly valuable in determining whether he's going to do well or suck.

Now, I probably should have worded the sentence a little better since the word inflate carries the connotation that the coaches were trying to make his numbers look good for no good reason.
So what is your argument exactly? His high touchdown totals aren't reflective of the player he is because he got a lot of goal-line touches? All that tells me is Wisenhunt gave the guy the ball in the redzone because he has a nose for paydirt. Is that somehow a bad thing?

His high touchdown total doesn't help in determining if he'll be good? Last time I checked, if you score a lot of touchdowns you're really helping the team, and thus pretty good. Pretty simple really. He's not Chris Johnson fast, but aside from that he really doesn't have any holes in his game.

I'm sure he won't be an every down back. The NFL is a committee game these days, not to mention that's not Shanahan's style and really never has been (Terrell Davis is an exception, and maybe Portis to a degree in his first two seasons). But to make a statement like "just because he scores TD in droves doesn't mean he's a good player" seems pretty silly to me.

It's really hard to argue that (if he stays healthy- and he's never missed a game in 3 seasons in the NFL) Tim Hightower will not make significant contributions to our offense this year.
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:18 PM   #191
Playmaker
 
sportscurmudgeon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,159
Re: Arizona RB Tim Hightower traded to Redskins.

Tim Hightower has the potential (not yet demonstrated) and the work ethic (all reports are very positive) to become the BEST RB THE SKINS HAVE HAD SINCE JOHN RIGGINS.

And before anyone asks, yes, I do recall that Clinton Portis was on the Skins since Riggo...

Now, if the Skins can put a decent OL in front of Hightower sometime in the next year or two...
__________________
The Sports Curmudgeon
www.sportscurmudgeon.com
But don't get me wrong, I love sports...
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:19 PM   #192
Living Legend
 
skinsfaninok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Oklahoma City (Originally from Biloxi, Ms)
Age: 27
Posts: 16,355
Re: Arizona RB Tim Hightower traded to Redskins.

Stephen Davis was pretty good too
__________________
THUNDER UP

"if you're good at something, never do it for free"- The Joker

skinsfaninok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:20 PM   #193
Playmaker
 
Alvin Walton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Holland, Michigan
Posts: 4,436
Re: Arizona RB Tim Hightower traded to Redskins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscurmudgeon View Post
Tim Hightower has the potential (not yet demonstrated) and the work ethic (all reports are very positive) to become the BEST RB THE SKINS HAVE HAD SINCE JOHN RIGGINS.

And before anyone asks, yes, I do recall that Clinton Portis was on the Skins since Riggo...

Now, if the Skins can put a decent OL in front of Hightower sometime in the next year or two...
Jeez....thats a heck of reach.
Good luck with that.
__________________
REDSKINS FAN SINCE 1968
Alvin Walton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:24 PM   #194
MVP
 
mooby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NoVa
Age: 26
Posts: 12,108
Re: Arizona RB Tim Hightower traded to Redskins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
So what is your argument exactly? His high touchdown totals aren't reflective of the player he is because he got a lot of goal-line touches? All that tells me is Wisenhunt gave the guy the ball in the redzone because he has a nose for paydirt. Is that somehow a bad thing?

His high touchdown total doesn't help in determining if he'll be good? Last time I checked, if you score a lot of touchdowns you're really helping the team, and thus pretty good. Pretty simple really. He's not Chris Johnson fast, but aside from that he really doesn't have any holes in his game.

I'm sure he won't be an every down back. The NFL is a committee game these days, not to mention that's not Shanahan's style and really never has been (Terrell Davis is an exception, and maybe Portis to a degree in his first two seasons). But to make a statement like "just because he scores TD in droves doesn't mean he's a good player" seems pretty silly to me.

It's really hard to argue that (if he stays healthy- and he's never missed a game in 3 seasons in the NFL) Tim Hightower will not make significant contributions to our offense this year.
Great post. I agree. Even if Hightower runs for 400 yards and 10 touchdowns (which would be excellent considering I think Torain and Helu will see the majority of snaps) next season, I'm sure some people will still be bitching.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:28 PM   #195
The Starter
 
dblanch66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Age: 48
Posts: 1,176
Re: Arizona RB Tim Hightower traded to Redskins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscurmudgeon View Post
Tim Hightower has the potential (not yet demonstrated) and the work ethic (all reports are very positive) to become the BEST RB THE SKINS HAVE HAD SINCE JOHN RIGGINS.

And before anyone asks, yes, I do recall that Clinton Portis was on the Skins since Riggo...

Now, if the Skins can put a decent OL in front of Hightower sometime in the next year or two...
Hmmmm....I remember a guy named Terry Allen....and... oh yeah..Ernest Byner. Nice try, though.
__________________
The eyes are the groin of the head
dblanch66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.29752 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25