Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Arizona RB Tim Hightower traded to Redskins.

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2011, 09:33 PM   #196
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,959
Re: Arizona RB Tim Hightower traded to Redskins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscurmudgeon View Post
Tim Hightower has the potential (not yet demonstrated) and the work ethic (all reports are very positive) to become the BEST RB THE SKINS HAVE HAD SINCE JOHN RIGGINS.

And before anyone asks, yes, I do recall that Clinton Portis was on the Skins since Riggo...

Now, if the Skins can put a decent OL in front of Hightower sometime in the next year or two...
Curmudgeon...is that you?
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-01-2011, 09:33 PM   #197
Living Legend
 
skinsfaninok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Oklahoma City (Originally from Biloxi, Ms)
Age: 27
Posts: 16,336
Re: Arizona RB Tim Hightower traded to Redskins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblanch66 View Post
Hmmmm....I remember a guy named Terry Allen....and... oh yeah..Ernest Byner. Nice try, though.
S Davis was better than both IMO
__________________
THUNDER UP

"if you're good at something, never do it for free"- The Joker

skinsfaninok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:45 PM   #198
Pro Bowl
 
SirClintonPortis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,052
Re: Arizona RB Tim Hightower traded to Redskins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
So what is your argument exactly? His high touchdown totals aren't reflective of the player he is because he got a lot of goal-line touches? All that tells me is Wisenhunt gave the guy the ball in the redzone because he has a nose for paydirt. Is that somehow a bad thing?

His high touchdown total doesn't help in determining if he'll be good? Last time I checked, if you score a lot of touchdowns you're really helping the team, and thus pretty good. Pretty simple really. He's not Chris Johnson fast, but aside from that he really doesn't have any holes in his game.

I'm sure he won't be an every down back. The NFL is a committee game these days, not to mention that's not Shanahan's style and really never has been (Terrell Davis is an exception, and maybe Portis to a degree in his first two seasons). But to make a statement like "just because he scores TD in droves doesn't mean he's a good player" seems pretty silly to me.

It's really hard to argue that (if he stays healthy- and he's never missed a game in 3 seasons in the NFL) Tim Hightower will not make significant contributions to our offense this year.
Oh I'm sorry, did the words with negative connotations but neutal definitions screw with your head?
First word: deliberately.
1. Done with or marked by full consciousness of the nature and effects; intentional: mistook the oversight for a deliberate insult.
2. Arising from or marked by careful consideration: a deliberate decision. See Synonyms at voluntary.
3. Unhurried in action, movement, or manner, as if trying to avoid error: moved at a deliberate pace. See Synonyms at slow.

See? A deliberate decision by the coach IS NOT NECESSARILY A BASELESS decision. Clearly, you think baseless and deliberate are synonyms.

Do I have to bring up the stats from running backs from the ZBS in Denver or the completion percentage of WCO QBs to drill into your head that a larger stat value is not a definitive INDICATOR of "betterness". By your standards, Lendale White was elite in 2008. Well, White has dropped out of the NFL universe now, but I'm sure by your standards, those FIFTEEN TDs are truly a good indicator of a good RB. As a goal-line back, you've got more QUALITY OPPORTUNITIES to punch it in. He SHOULD be having higher stat totals due to having more opportunities.

Even at the higher baseline for TDs required to goal line backs to be deemed "effective" IN THIER ROLE, Hightower's TD production has been going down, with an abysmal 5 TDs last season. This is a part of a continuing trend of decline.


It's doubtful this guy is going to make his dough here as just a redzone TD vulture. It's going to be as a third down back who can block and catch who can hopefully bounce back from a mere down season.
__________________
Analysis using datasets (aka stats) is an attempt at reverse-engineering a player's "goodness".

Virtuosity remembered, douchebaggery forgotten.

The ideal character profile shoved down modern Western men and women's throats is Don Juan.
SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:45 PM   #199
The Starter
 
vallin21's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Vienna Va
Posts: 1,029
Re: Arizona RB Tim Hightower traded to Redskins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscurmudgeon View Post
Tim Hightower has the potential (not yet demonstrated) and the work ethic (all reports are very positive) to become the BEST RB THE SKINS HAVE HAD SINCE JOHN RIGGINS.

And before anyone asks, yes, I do recall that Clinton Portis was on the Skins since Riggo...

Now, if the Skins can put a decent OL in front of Hightower sometime in the next year or two...
I agree. He has the POTENTIAL to be great... He just hasn't put it all together. IMO he'll have his best year as a pro, but he's nowhere close to being the best RB since Riggo.
vallin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:48 PM   #200
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,959
Re: Arizona RB Tim Hightower traded to Redskins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirClintonPortis View Post
Oh I'm sorry, did the words with negative connotations but neutal definitions screw with your head?
First word: deliberately.
1. Done with or marked by full consciousness of the nature and effects; intentional: mistook the oversight for a deliberate insult.
2. Arising from or marked by careful consideration: a deliberate decision. See Synonyms at voluntary.
3. Unhurried in action, movement, or manner, as if trying to avoid error: moved at a deliberate pace. See Synonyms at slow.

See? A deliberate decision by the coach IS NOT NECESSARILY A BASELESS decision. Clearly, you think baseless and deliberate are synonyms.

Do I have to bring up the stats from running backs from the ZBS in Denver or the completion percentage of WCO QBs to drill into your head that a larger stat value is not a definitive INDICATOR of "betterness". By your standards, Lendale White was elite in 2008. Well, White has dropped out of the NFL universe now, but I'm sure by your standards, those FIFTEEN TDs are truly a good indicator of a good RB. As a goal-line back, you've got more QUALITY OPPORTUNITIES to punch it in. He SHOULD be having higher stat totals due to having more opportunities.

Even at the higher baseline for TDs required to goal line backs to be deemed "effective" IN THIER ROLE, Hightower's TD production has been going down, with an abysmal 5 TDs last season. This is a part of a continuing trend of decline.


It's doubtful this guy is going to make his dough here as just a redzone TD vulture. It's going to be as a third down back who can block and catch who can hopefully bounce back from a mere down season.
There's room for just one "greater than thou" asshole on this site...and it's not you. So tone it down Webster
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:00 PM   #201
Contains football related knowledge
 
JoeRedskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Second Star On The Right
Age: 51
Posts: 8,849
Re: Arizona RB Tim Hightower traded to Redskins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
There's room for just one "greater than thou" asshole on this site...and it's not you. So tone it down Webster
Really?? Only one?? We sure have a helluva lot of runner-ups for the job.

I guess the Ego just wants to ensure competition for every position at the Warpath.
__________________
You aren't worth the water in my spit but, maybe, just maybe, you're worth the lead in my shotgun.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:02 PM   #202
Gamebreaker
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 37
Posts: 12,552
Re: Arizona RB Tim Hightower traded to Redskins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
Really?? Only one?? We sure have a helluva lot of runner-ups for the job.

I guess the Ego just wants to ensure competition for every position at the Warpath.
lol...nice post
__________________
Boycott Rolling Stone Magazine
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:05 PM   #203
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,959
Re: Arizona RB Tim Hightower traded to Redskins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
Really?? Only one?? We sure have a helluva lot of runner-ups for the job.

I guess the Ego just wants to ensure competition for every position at the Warpath.
Every position except his own....Scud's thinking of starting a coup
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:18 PM   #204
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 36
Posts: 12,623
Re: Arizona RB Tim Hightower traded to Redskins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirClintonPortis View Post
Oh I'm sorry, did the words with negative connotations but neutal definitions screw with your head?
First word: deliberately.
1. Done with or marked by full consciousness of the nature and effects; intentional: mistook the oversight for a deliberate insult.
2. Arising from or marked by careful consideration: a deliberate decision. See Synonyms at voluntary.
3. Unhurried in action, movement, or manner, as if trying to avoid error: moved at a deliberate pace. See Synonyms at slow.

See? A deliberate decision by the coach IS NOT NECESSARILY A BASELESS decision. Clearly, you think baseless and deliberate are synonyms.

Do I have to bring up the stats from running backs from the ZBS in Denver or the completion percentage of WCO QBs to drill into your head that a larger stat value is not a definitive INDICATOR of "betterness". By your standards, Lendale White was elite in 2008. Well, White has dropped out of the NFL universe now, but I'm sure by your standards, those FIFTEEN TDs are truly a good indicator of a good RB. As a goal-line back, you've got more QUALITY OPPORTUNITIES to punch it in. He SHOULD be having higher stat totals due to having more opportunities.

Even at the higher baseline for TDs required to goal line backs to be deemed "effective" IN THIER ROLE, Hightower's TD production has been going down, with an abysmal 5 TDs last season. This is a part of a continuing trend of decline.


It's doubtful this guy is going to make his dough here as just a redzone TD vulture. It's going to be as a third down back who can block and catch who can hopefully bounce back from a mere down season.
LOL. I'll just defer to what SmootSmack said. Know your place. All you can do is stomp your feet and scream the name LenDale White. You're talking loud and saying nothing.

In 2008 when LenDale White scored 15 TD's, he was a good player on his team. Are you saying he wasn't? When they needed a goal line TD, he delivered repeatedly. Are you also saying that Hightower isn't more of a complete player than White? If that's the case, you're nuts.

Hightower has gotten goal-line carries, but he brings a lot more to the table than that. The tape is there. Just watch it. I'm not saying he's going to be a superstar for us, but LenDale White he is not.

For the record, I never said scoring touchdowns makes you "elite," but it certainly doesn't hurt you as a player. If we have Helu and Torain but also added a guy with a proven nose for the endzone, how is that in any way a bad thing? Especially for the low price we paid?

Please enlighten me as to the point of your drivel.
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:30 PM   #205
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,959
Re: Arizona RB Tim Hightower traded to Redskins.

Consider that the Cardinals placed a 2nd round tender on him back in March and we got him for a conditional late round pick and Holliday? That's not too bad at all
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:32 PM   #206
Contains football related knowledge
 
JoeRedskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Second Star On The Right
Age: 51
Posts: 8,849
Re: Arizona RB Tim Hightower traded to Redskins.

GMscud - just make him a parrot avatar and call it a day. You can do that now.
__________________
You aren't worth the water in my spit but, maybe, just maybe, you're worth the lead in my shotgun.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:41 PM   #207
Pro Bowl
 
SirClintonPortis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,052
Re: Arizona RB Tim Hightower traded to Redskins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
LOL. I'll just defer to what SmootSmack said. Know your place. All you can do is stomp your feet and scream the name LenDale White. You're talking loud and saying nothing.

In 2008 when LenDale White scored 15 TD's, he was a good player on his team. Are you saying he wasn't? When they needed a goal line TD, he delivered repeatedly. Are you also saying that Hightower isn't more of a complete player than White? If that's the case, you're nuts.

Hightower has gotten goal-line carries, but he brings a lot more to the table than that. The tape is there. Just watch it. I'm not saying he's going to be a superstar for us, but LenDale White he is not.

For the record, I never said scoring touchdowns makes you "elite," but it certainly doesn't hurt you as a player. If we have Helu and Torain but also added a guy with a proven nose for the endzone, how is that in any way a bad thing? Especially for the low price we paid?

Please enlighten me as to the point of your drivel.
I'm saying none of those things. I am already well aware of his reputed blocking, catching, and goal line skills. You don't need to tell me to watch the tape when I already have accepted such things.

The mention of LenDale White is to show how difficult it is to sift the "truly good" and the "truly bad" this particular class of backs. Also, another factoid is that just because the back has had a good year, does not mean he's a good back in general.

As for Hightower, I already think he'll be better than Betts and there is good chance he'll beat out Keiland Williams, barring poor preseason performances.

And yes, I'm aware I'm the neighborhood idiot here(not that I'm completely blameless), and hence all statements put forth by me will be deemed the viewpoints of a demented mind and full of irrational inneundo, justified or not.
__________________
Analysis using datasets (aka stats) is an attempt at reverse-engineering a player's "goodness".

Virtuosity remembered, douchebaggery forgotten.

The ideal character profile shoved down modern Western men and women's throats is Don Juan.
SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:56 PM   #208
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 36
Posts: 12,623
Re: Arizona RB Tim Hightower traded to Redskins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirClintonPortis View Post
I'm saying none of those things. I am already well aware of his reputed blocking, catching, and goal line skills. You don't need to tell me to watch the tape when I already have accepted such things.

The mention of LenDale White is to show how difficult it is to sift the "truly good" and the "truly bad" this particular class of backs. Also, another factoid is that just because the back has had a good year, does not mean he's a good back in general.

As for Hightower, I already think he'll be better than Betts and there is good chance he'll beat out Keiland Williams, barring poor preseason performances.

And yes, I'm aware I'm the neighborhood idiot here(not that I'm completely blameless), and hence all statements put forth by me will be deemed the viewpoints of a demented mind and full of irrational inneundo, justified or not.
You're not the neighborhood idiot. You're something, but not the neighborhood idiot.

But you still have really yet to illustrate a point here. Is it simply that scoring a lot of TD's doesn't necessarily mean you're a good back? If so, then fine, but LenDale White in that case really hurts your argument actually. He was truly one dimensional. A big load that couldn't really catch, wasn't fast, didn't have great vision, and his blocking was ho-hum. You can't really use him as an argument against Tim Hightower as far as predictors for success. LenDale White wishes he had the multiple skill-sets of Hightower.

No one here (except for sportscurmudgeon) is saying the guy is going to be a superstar, but he's done enough to prove he's no LenDale White, and he's arguably better than anyone else on our roster at the position.
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:57 PM   #209
Contains football related knowledge
 
JoeRedskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Second Star On The Right
Age: 51
Posts: 8,849
Re: Arizona RB Tim Hightower traded to Redskins.

I just want to know what SCP's point is. Do you think he's a dog we shouldn't have traded a low round pick for? Or are you saying he's just an average joe? or are you you just creating a humongous argument while trying to prove some tangential point (if so, that's my job buddy and saden1 is first on the depth chart)?

If the first, possibly but clearly he had some skills and may end up one of those low-risk high reward guys (or even low risk, some reward). If the second, not sure anyone is disagreeing with you all that vociferously.
__________________
You aren't worth the water in my spit but, maybe, just maybe, you're worth the lead in my shotgun.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:19 PM   #210
Living Legend
 
skinsfaninok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Oklahoma City (Originally from Biloxi, Ms)
Age: 27
Posts: 16,336
Re: Arizona RB Tim Hightower traded to Redskins.

Some people are never satisfied
__________________
THUNDER UP

"if you're good at something, never do it for free"- The Joker

skinsfaninok is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.33349 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25