Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Camp Battles- The journey to 53

Redskins Locker Room


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2011, 05:11 PM   #151
The Starter
 
Mechanix544's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Fort Bliss, TX
Posts: 2,277
Re: Camp Battles- The journey to 53

perry riley will make the team. as will austin and paul. i have a feeling that fox could slide into the 53 as well. it will be very interesting that is for sure.
Mechanix544 is offline  

Advertisements
Old 09-02-2011, 06:00 PM   #152
Playmaker
 
mlmpetert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Richmond
Posts: 3,257
Re: Camp Battles- The journey to 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
Paul doesn't make it to the PS, another team will scoop him up on waivers. That's the only reason he stays on the 53 I think. With Banks, I agree with what KI Skins Fan said, he is really only a KR but WR is his position group. He won't see any actual time at WR though.
Im not sold on another team signing him off our PS, but id rather keep him over Hankerson and Stallworth.... just not sure if i would want Hankerson over Stallworth. I honestly dont think a team would sign Hankerson off our PS.

Also im sold on Banks making the team. If we try and put him on IR he's not going to clear waivers. You can say that he's not a dedicated WR and that we’ll still keep 6 in addition to him but the truth is the spot has to come from somewhere, and WR is the most like source.


If we are forced to keep Paul then holding onto Hankerson would be a complete waste of a roster spot. Rarely if ever are we going to activate more than 5 wideouts especially with 2 very good receiving tight ends that are going to be normally activated in addition to Banks as adedicated KR. Honestly I think well only have 4 on most game days that Banks is also activated.

So Moss, Gafnee, Armstrong, Austin and Paul will be the regular rotation with the latter 3 also playing special teams when activated. So IF we keep 6 WR, in addition to a dedicated KR, whos the 6th player? Id personally take the gamble of adding Hankerson to our PS and keeping Stallworth. Stallworth could easily step in as our 4th WR and by mid season push for 3. Hankerson will be lucky to be active more than twice this year.
__________________
mlmpetert is offline  
Old 09-02-2011, 06:06 PM   #153
Playmaker
 
mlmpetert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Richmond
Posts: 3,257
Re: Camp Battles- The journey to 53

You know whats great, a lot of the tough decision our team has to make this year are because we have a lot of very quality players and some very promising young depth. Feels good.
__________________
mlmpetert is offline  
Old 09-02-2011, 06:07 PM   #154
Pro Bowl
 
Beemnseven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Virginia Beach
Age: 40
Posts: 5,293
Re: Camp Battles- The journey to 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanix544 View Post
perry riley will make the team. as will austin and paul. i have a feeling that fox could slide into the 53 as well. it will be very interesting that is for sure.
Just curious ... what have you seen from Perry Riley that makes you so sure he makes the team?
Beemnseven is offline  
Old 09-02-2011, 06:07 PM   #155
Franchise Player
 
SFREDSKIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pacifica, CA
Posts: 7,815
Re: Camp Battles- The journey to 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmpetert View Post
Im not sold on another team signing him off our PS, but id rather keep him over Hankerson and Stallworth.... just not sure if i would want Hankerson over Stallworth. I honestly dont think a team would sign Hankerson off our PS.

Also im sold on Banks making the team. If we try and put him on IR he's not going to clear waivers. You can say that he's not a dedicated WR and that we’ll still keep 6 in addition to him but the truth is the spot has to come from somewhere, and WR is the most like source.


If we are forced to keep Paul then holding onto Hankerson would be a complete waste of a roster spot. Rarely if ever are we going to activate more than 5 wideouts especially with 2 very good receiving tight ends that are going to be normally activated in addition to Banks as adedicated KR. Honestly I think well only have 4 on most game days that Banks is also activated.

So Moss, Gafnee, Armstrong, Austin and Paul will be the regular rotation with the latter 3 also playing special teams when activated. So IF we keep 6 WR, in addition to a dedicated KR, whos the 6th player? Id personally take the gamble of adding Hankerson to our PS and keeping Stallworth. Stallworth could easily step in as our 4th WR and by mid season push for 3. Hankerson will be lucky to be active more than twice this year.
Hankerson has been getting better the last 2 games and will make the team, you just don't cut a 3rd round pick after one year.
__________________
Joe Gibbs- The best coach of all time, Lombardi trophy should be renamed Gibbs.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.


Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline  
Old 09-02-2011, 06:14 PM   #156
Franchise Player
 
SFREDSKIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pacifica, CA
Posts: 7,815
Re: Camp Battles- The journey to 53

Question:

If a player is placed on the 8 man PS and another team comes to claim him, can the player refuse going to the other team? My guess says, yes?

If Paul goes to the PS I hope he refuses.
__________________
Joe Gibbs- The best coach of all time, Lombardi trophy should be renamed Gibbs.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.


Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline  
Old 09-02-2011, 06:17 PM   #157
Pro Bowl
 
Beemnseven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Virginia Beach
Age: 40
Posts: 5,293
Re: Camp Battles- The journey to 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
Question:

If a player is placed on the 8 man PS and another team comes to claim him, can the player refuse going to the other team? My guess says, yes?

If Paul goes to the PS I hope he refuses.
Not sure about the official rule, but if the team that claims you promises a spot on the active roster, why wouldn't you go?

But I have to ask: What is it about Niles Paul that has everybody so excited?
Beemnseven is offline  
Old 09-02-2011, 06:20 PM   #158
Franchise Player
 
SFREDSKIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pacifica, CA
Posts: 7,815
Re: Camp Battles- The journey to 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven View Post
Not sure about the official rule, but if the team that claims you promises a spot on the active roster, why wouldn't you go?

But I have to ask: What is it about Niles Paul that has everybody so excited?
I like what I've seen from him and others do too:

Niles Paul – The rookie wide receiver got the start opposite Anthony Armstrong with Moss and Gaffney receiving the night off. Against Tampa Bay, Paul looked solid as he has all season, making three catches for 21 yards.

He also contributed on special teams, and that’s the area he can best help the team. John Beck went to him in the end zone twice, but Paul didn’t score either time. One time was Beck’s fault, as he threw a high-arcing pass that ended up getting picked off by D.J. Johnson. The second time, Paul cut in rather than out while running a fade that he would’ve been open for had he been in the right spot.

Still, coaches love the 6-foot-2, 222-pound Paul’s size and speed. Like Stallworth, however, he’s at a very crowded position.

Best guess: Practice squad.
__________________
Joe Gibbs- The best coach of all time, Lombardi trophy should be renamed Gibbs.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.


Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline  
Old 09-02-2011, 06:21 PM   #159
Playmaker
 
mlmpetert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Richmond
Posts: 3,257
Re: Camp Battles- The journey to 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
Hankerson has been getting better the last 2 games and will make the team, you just don't cut a 3rd round pick after one year.
Well what if you realized picking him in the 3rd round was a mistake, do you still hold on to him? If we are only keeping 5 in addition to Banks would you cut Paul over Hankerson? I honestly don’t care what round someone gets drafted in so id pick Paul. If (and a big if) we go with 6 in addition to Banks, id gamble Hankerson on the PS and go with Stallworth.

I think Hankerson will probably get the nod over Stallworth but the Paul/Stallworth/Hankerson/Banks decision is gonna be tough.

When you have 10 draft picks you got to make some hard cuts (unless youre an idiot vinny in 2008). Either way this is a good position to be in.
__________________

Last edited by mlmpetert; 09-02-2011 at 06:26 PM.
mlmpetert is offline  
Old 09-02-2011, 06:23 PM   #160
Playmaker
 
mlmpetert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Richmond
Posts: 3,257
Re: Camp Battles- The journey to 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
Question:

If a player is placed on the 8 man PS and another team comes to claim him, can the player refuse going to the other team? My guess says, yes?

If Paul goes to the PS I hope he refuses.

Im pretty sure James Davis did this last year...... it backfired
__________________
mlmpetert is offline  
Old 09-02-2011, 06:34 PM   #161
Eternally Legendary
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 35
Posts: 10,053
Re: Camp Battles- The journey to 53

There is an unwritten rule in the NFL that you don't sign a player a team wishes to send to their practice squad. Besides, there is nothing special about Niels Paul...he's still raw and I doubt he could make another teams 53 man roster at this point in his career.
__________________
"The Redskins have always suffered from chronic organizational deformities under Snyder."

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline  
Old 09-02-2011, 06:37 PM   #162
Playmaker
 
KI Skins Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: MD Eastern Shore
Posts: 2,543
Re: Camp Battles- The journey to 53

A contending team might decide to go with the veteran Stallworth over the rookie Paul. We're not a contending team, IMO. We're building our team and I don't think that Stallworth separated himself enough during the preseason to take a spot on a building team away from a talented younger receiver. In this case, I think the younger player gets the roster spot because of the team's stage of development.
KI Skins Fan is offline  
Old 09-02-2011, 06:39 PM   #163
Playmaker
 
KI Skins Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: MD Eastern Shore
Posts: 2,543
Re: Camp Battles- The journey to 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
There is an unwritten rule in the NFL that you don't sign a player a team wishes to send to their practice squad. Besides, there is nothing special about Niels Paul...he's still raw and I doubt he could make another teams 53 man roster at this point in his career.
That unwritten rule has been broken about a bazillion times.
KI Skins Fan is offline  
Old 09-02-2011, 06:43 PM   #164
The Starter
 
warriorzpath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,659
Re: Camp Battles- The journey to 53

I can see some potential with Niles Paul. But I see greater potential with Hankerson. The biggest difference with Hankerson and Paul is - Hankerson's ability to separate from the defender; Hankerson, in addition to his physical skills, just has a knack for that.

I think what they were trying to determine with the Bucs game was whether or not Paul could be a definite playmaker in the redzone. Although there were only a couple of opportunities, he didn't prove that.

Bottomline is - Hankerson's greater potential coupled with his draft position - will allow him to easily make the team.
warriorzpath is offline  
Old 09-02-2011, 06:50 PM   #165
The Starter
 
warriorzpath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,659
Re: Camp Battles- The journey to 53

Here's the wideouts that definitely make the team, imo:
Moss
Gaffney
Armstrong
Austin
Hankerson
Banks

If they decide there should be a #7 wideout, the decision is between Paul and Stallworth. And if they think that Paul won't be signed by another team off the practice squad, then it's an easy decision.
warriorzpath is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.43975 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25