Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Dolphins Work Out Clinton Portis...Decide Instead to Sign Larry Johnson

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2011, 08:27 PM   #31
Fire Bruce NOW
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 11,434
Re: Dolphins Work Out Clinton Portis...Decide Instead to Sign Larry Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
CP carried the offense through some very tough seasons and IMO he deserves our respect. It's sad to see fans dismiss what he did in a Skins uniform.

Best wishes Portis
I agree. Portis, for all of many failings, contributed a great deal to our team over the years. To not respect him is to be ungrateful.

However, I'm still glad that he's gone. In fact, we should have sent him packing a year earlier.
__________________
Bruce Allen when in charge alone: 4-12 (.250)
Bruce Allen's overall Redskins record : 28-52 (.350)
Vinny Cerrato's record when in charge alone: 52-65 (.444)
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-23-2011, 09:14 PM   #32
The Starter
 
Meks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: South Jersey
Age: 30
Posts: 2,225
Re: Dolphins Work Out Clinton Portis...Decide Instead to Sign Larry Johnson

I'm with the 'screw the hatters' troop... cp was a boss. Don't like it? Oh well.
__________________
R.I.P #21SEAN TAYLOR
Meks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:55 PM   #33
Registered User
 
rd421's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 27
Re: Dolphins Work Out Clinton Portis...Decide Instead to Sign Larry Johnson

I still can see CP being done ... Sad
rd421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:03 PM   #34
The Starter
 
NM Redskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 1,012
Re: Dolphins Work Out Clinton Portis...Decide Instead to Sign Larry Johnson

Well this is the team that let John Beck get away ...
__________________
Despite my solid 40 time and great intangibles I went undrafted AGAIN!
NM Redskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:39 PM   #35
The Starter
 
skinsnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,263
Re: Dolphins Work Out Clinton Portis...Decide Instead to Sign Larry Johnson

I thought Portis was excellent in his time here....a character, yes, so was Riggo.
He was selfless on the field and sacrificed his body for his QB, even when the line totally sucked..it probably shortened his career.
So don't give him crap, maybe he didn't like to practice all the time, but on game day, he gave his all...I wish we had more like him

I wish him well...too bad he let himself get flabby so quickly
__________________
I hate Dallas...Period
skinsnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:12 AM   #36
Registered User
 
wilsowilso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Age: 41
Posts: 2,841
Re: Dolphins Work Out Clinton Portis...Decide Instead to Sign Larry Johnson

Many times I feel bad for NFL running backs.

No one else in professional sports takes a beating quite like they do.

Running Backs and Boxers. Can't imagine what it's really like to live that life.

In the end the human body can only take so much punishment.

I always marvel at how quickly great running backs fall off the map or break down. One day they are elite and the very next day the MAGIC is gone......and it's usually because it was beaten out of them.

Well done Clinton Portis. Very well done.

Last edited by wilsowilso; 08-24-2011 at 12:15 AM.
wilsowilso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:20 AM   #37
Camp Scrub
 
Bakerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 21
Re: Dolphins Work Out Clinton Portis...Decide Instead to Sign Larry Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirClintonPortis View Post
Clinton Portis while immensely talented and a fierce competitor on gameday, never gave 100% commitment to the team--more like 85%. He stubbornly turtled in preseason(I don't see Hightower or Helu doing so) and sometimes exercised a lack of prudence over the air.
I disagree with this. The guy hurt himself in a PRESEASON game and missed part of the season the second year after Gibbs came back.

I will grant he was a diva. I am glad he has moved on , but he deserves some love from the Redskins fan base. I always thought if he had a good line it could have been different. During his time all he had working for him was Sellers and Samuels.
Bakerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:09 PM   #38
The Starter
 
SolidSnake84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Stephens City, VA
Posts: 1,954
Re: Dolphins Work Out Clinton Portis...Decide Instead to Sign Larry Johnson

Look i have moved past my bashing Portis issue sometime last summer, before he got hurt, but even after I wasn't trying to kick dirt on him while he was down. The fact is, I didn't like the guy. I did have respect for what he did on the field, but that respect was also coupled with a little bit of wonder when i myself thought at times how much different CP could have been here had he gave true 100% to this team. And the fact is, at least in my opinion, and one shared by others here, is that he didn't.

The sad part of it all, is that his great redskin accomplishments (and there were many) were overshadowed in the end by his diva attitude, poor work ethich, and lack of respect for some of his team-mates, as well as coaches (Jim Zorn, Mike Sellars, even Shaun Alexander!!).

Some fans think of Portis and can only remember the crybaby, the me-first locker room cancer, and the guy who was always quick to throw the team and its coach under the bus. I myself, at times, are one of those people. But I think the longtime fans can remember the guy before his attitude went south, and the incredible excitement and energy he brought to the game (when he chose to bring it). I am that fan too at times.

But reality is that he's had two auditions as a backup, maybe even a 3rd string runningback (New England), and he looked shot in both of them. Credit to CP for losing 25 pounds in 2 weeks for his NE workout, but it's also a testament to how far he let himself go when reports from Foxboro said he was still about 20 pounds overweight. He probably won't make an NFL squad again unless there is a horrible on-field tragedy involving about 4 runningbacks for the same team. I mean the fins chose Larry Johnson over Portis, that should tell you something. Johnson is the better back at this point in their careers because Johnson kept himself in shape incase a team needed him, and Portis obviously didn't.

This, i feel, confirms many opinions, mine included, when people said CP was done after the redskins cut him.
__________________
Time to nut up or shut up
SolidSnake84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:47 PM   #39
MVP
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 10,180
Re: Dolphins Work Out Clinton Portis...Decide Instead to Sign Larry Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
Look i have moved past my bashing Portis issue sometime last summer, before he got hurt, but even after I wasn't trying to kick dirt on him while he was down. The fact is, I didn't like the guy. I did have respect for what he did on the field, but that respect was also coupled with a little bit of wonder when i myself thought at times how much different CP could have been here had he gave true 100% to this team. And the fact is, at least in my opinion, and one shared by others here, is that he didn't.

The sad part of it all, is that his great redskin accomplishments (and there were many) were overshadowed in the end by his diva attitude, poor work ethich, and lack of respect for some of his team-mates, as well as coaches (Jim Zorn, Mike Sellars, even Shaun Alexander!!).

Some fans think of Portis and can only remember the crybaby, the me-first locker room cancer, and the guy who was always quick to throw the team and its coach under the bus. I myself, at times, are one of those people. But I think the longtime fans can remember the guy before his attitude went south, and the incredible excitement and energy he brought to the game (when he chose to bring it). I am that fan too at times.

But reality is that he's had two auditions as a backup, maybe even a 3rd string runningback (New England), and he looked shot in both of them. Credit to CP for losing 25 pounds in 2 weeks for his NE workout, but it's also a testament to how far he let himself go when reports from Foxboro said he was still about 20 pounds overweight. He probably won't make an NFL squad again unless there is a horrible on-field tragedy involving about 4 runningbacks for the same team. I mean the fins chose Larry Johnson over Portis, that should tell you something. Johnson is the better back at this point in their careers because Johnson kept himself in shape incase a team needed him, and Portis obviously didn't.

This, i feel, confirms many opinions, mine included, when people said CP was done after the redskins cut him.
Pretty much sums it up. Glad we have some new blood in there at RB.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:00 PM   #40
The Starter
 
SolidSnake84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Stephens City, VA
Posts: 1,954
Re: Dolphins Work Out Clinton Portis...Decide Instead to Sign Larry Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Pretty much sums it up. Glad we have some new blood in there at RB.
Yeah it was time for a change. I'm glad the whole culture has changed here, or at least appears to be, but it's definatley different looking out and seeing a squad of young guys with some veterans mixed in. Usually its all just vets expecting to get paid.

New blood at RB was needed for a while. It was a tragic shame here that the way it was before was a player had to get hurt in order for us to see change at the position. At times it seemed like Jason Campbell held the QB position hostage because no matter how poor he would play, he would never get the hook. I mean Zorn did it more out of desperation, he knew his job was on the line, but i remember back when some people were wishing for Campbell to get banged up so that we could see if another QB could make a difference. (And it did with Todd Collins)

RB was the same way. It's like the team knew that Portis was worn out, but because of his relationship with Snyder or whatever, they wouldn't bench him. My love for Shanahan & company grew way more last season when Donovan was benched, i didn't think Snyder would actually let coach do that, but he won a lot of respect for me because he wasnt afraid to make changes if he felt it would help this football team. good for him.
__________________
Time to nut up or shut up
SolidSnake84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:54 PM   #41
Pro Bowl
 
SirClintonPortis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,052
Re: Dolphins Work Out Clinton Portis...Decide Instead to Sign Larry Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakerman View Post
I disagree with this. The guy hurt himself in a PRESEASON game and missed part of the season the second year after Gibbs came back.

I will grant he was a diva. I am glad he has moved on , but he deserves some love from the Redskins fan base. I always thought if he had a good line it could have been different. During his time all he had working for him was Sellers and Samuels.
He got hurt and that was the leverage he needed to basically never play in it again. He even got in a little spat with Zorn.

He deserves love for the 85-90% he did give to the Skins'. He deserves most of the crticism for the 10-15% of not-so-good baggage he brought.
__________________
Analysis using datasets (aka stats) is an attempt at reverse-engineering a player's "goodness".

Virtuosity remembered, douchebaggery forgotten.

The ideal character profile shoved down modern Western men and women's throats is Don Juan.
SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:49 PM   #42
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 45,119
Re: Dolphins Work Out Clinton Portis...Decide Instead to Sign Larry Johnson

In my opinion, in my 30 years of watching the Redskins Portis is one of the best to ever don the Redskins uniform. I don't get this whole knock on him for only giving 90%. That's more than most any teammate did probably, and more than any of us probably do at our own jobs.
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:01 AM   #43
Impact Rookie
 
Skins fan 44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Brazil, IN
Age: 44
Posts: 883
Re: Dolphins Work Out Clinton Portis...Decide Instead to Sign Larry Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
In my opinion, in my 30 years of watching the Redskins Portis is one of the best to ever don the Redskins uniform. I don't get this whole knock on him for only giving 90%. That's more than most any teammate did probably, and more than any of us probably do at our own jobs.
Cause it is a what have you done for me lately league. You are only as good as you last game. Best of luck CP
__________________
HTTR!
Skins fan 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:02 AM   #44
Gamebreaker
 
tryfuhl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Waldorf, MD
Age: 31
Posts: 12,514
Re: Dolphins Work Out Clinton Portis...Decide Instead to Sign Larry Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
In my opinion, in my 30 years of watching the Redskins Portis is one of the best to ever don the Redskins uniform. I don't get this whole knock on him for only giving 90%. That's more than most any teammate did probably, and more than any of us probably do at our own jobs.
In a way it is the whole never meet your heroes argument, but instead of meeting him, he out a little too much out there causing to see sides of him you right not normally see from an athlete

Definitely one of the best Skins though
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:58 AM   #45
Registered User
 
The Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,662
Re: Dolphins Work Out Clinton Portis...Decide Instead to Sign Larry Johnson

CP gave 110% on gameday, period. I have little doubt if we took the time to peruse old threads the vast majority of comments would reflect it. He was a warrior who sacrificed his body time and again, behind often sub-par lines and QBs.

That said I think we all agree Portis "rested" himself in practice. I don't fault the guy for it. He took an awful beating nearly every week (gameday) and one could make the argument "resting" during the week helped him give that 110% on gameday and possibly extended the life of his career.

It is certainly true CP would have to wholeheartedly rededicate himself to extend his career at this point. Whether he does so is a personal choice and I wish him well regardless.
The Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.29247 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25