Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Landry to miss opener vs Giants

Redskins Locker Room


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2011, 01:09 AM   #61
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 10,883
Re: Landry to miss opener vs Giants

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
I didn't mention any play. That picture just summed his coverage ability.
That's pretty much the same thing as cherry picking. He has at times covered receivers well yet your pic does not represent that reality.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is offline  

Advertisements
Old 09-09-2011, 01:21 AM   #62
MVP
 
NC_Skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 11,117
Re: Landry to miss opener vs Giants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
That's pretty much the same thing as cherry picking. He has at times covered receivers well yet your pic does not represent that reality.
No it's not. THe year before he was horrible. People bitched and said he was playing out of position (FS) and that's why he was terrible(some truth to it). This past year, they were smart and at least played to his strength, but he still got beat and gave up big plays (especially on Rogers side of the field) from when he was supposed to pick up the zone coverage.

That's pretty much the whole idea of them going out and getting Atogwe to help out with the coverage issue. Personally, I think a big problem with LL is that he's a freelancer and doesn't have much discipline to his position. I think we just saw a 2 time pro-bowler just let go in New England because he couldn't play the position with discipline. Generally, safeties shouldn't be leading the league in tackles. That's something a linebacker does.

LL has the talent to be all-pro, lets get that fact established. However, he needs to have his head in the game. Not sure if he needs more film study, but I do recall Ray Lewis talking about how Ed Reed became the stud he did. He came into the league and studied film with Ray all the time (even over at Ray's house) and applied that knowledge on the field.

I don't care about his trash talking. I don't care if he poses. I do care if he's not playing up to ability.
__________________
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty

Last edited by NC_Skins; 09-09-2011 at 01:23 AM.
NC_Skins is offline  
Old 09-09-2011, 01:38 AM   #63
Playmaker
 
Bucket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Martinsburg, WV
Posts: 3,583
Re: Landry to miss opener vs Giants

Yes.. Pick out one play and base that on his coverage play.

How many plays in a year do you think a Safety plays? How many coverages, or man coverages/zones do you think they are involved in?

So you can pick out 10-15 plays where Landry gets beat in a span of 3-4 years? That's 16 games, 60 or so pass plays, and let's even break it in half because it's not always on his side of the field.

I'm just saying.. It's kinda rediculous to pull out a persons bad plays and call him bad when you don't mention the good ones.

Yeah because we wont miss this guy in our new defensive scheme.

__________________
HTTR
Redskin Fan since '88
Be friends on Twitter! @thecasualhero
Bucket is offline  
Old 09-09-2011, 01:47 AM   #64
MVP
 
NC_Skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 11,117
Re: Landry to miss opener vs Giants

A shame people can't read. Nah, it's better to take something somebody said and twist it to something it's not to suit your point. Kudos on the reading comprehension failure.

1) never said he's bad, even though he was horrible in blanche's scheme.

2) compared him to Roy Williams which is pretty accurate. Hard hitter with poor coverage skills
__________________
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty

Last edited by NC_Skins; 09-09-2011 at 01:48 AM.
NC_Skins is offline  
Old 09-09-2011, 01:50 AM   #65
The Starter
 
Swarley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Age: 25
Posts: 1,035
Re: Landry to miss opener vs Giants

The difference is Roy Williams was never as athletic or dominant as Laron can/has been.
__________________
doing it all in the spirit of the salary cap!
Swarley is offline  
Old 09-09-2011, 01:54 AM   #66
MVP
 
NC_Skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 11,117
Re: Landry to miss opener vs Giants

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekSkin View Post
The difference is Roy Williams was never as athletic or dominant as Laron can/has been.
5 time pro-bowler and actually 1 all-pro selection. You can't say one is bad and not the other.
__________________
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline  
Old 09-09-2011, 01:57 AM   #67
The Starter
 
Swarley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Age: 25
Posts: 1,035
Re: Landry to miss opener vs Giants

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
Generally, safeties shouldn't be leading the league in tackles. That's something a linebacker does.
When did he lead the league in tackles?


There are a number of safeties that get tackle numbers like Laron.
__________________
doing it all in the spirit of the salary cap!
Swarley is offline  
Old 09-09-2011, 01:59 AM   #68
MVP
 
NC_Skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 11,117
Re: Landry to miss opener vs Giants

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekSkin View Post
When did he lead the league in tackles?


There are a number of safeties that get tackle numbers like Laron.
He was leading the league in tackles right up till he got hurt.
__________________
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline  
Old 09-09-2011, 02:00 AM   #69
The Starter
 
Swarley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Age: 25
Posts: 1,035
Re: Landry to miss opener vs Giants

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
5 time pro-bowler and actually 1 all-pro selection. You can't say one is bad and not the other.
I can actually because of two reasons:

1. Roy Williams was never good enough to have 5 pro bowl selections and he benefited greatly by being associated with the Cowboys.

2. He barely played in schemes that suited his abilities.

On the other hand Laron is finally being played in a scheme both he and the coach like.
__________________
doing it all in the spirit of the salary cap!
Swarley is offline  
Old 09-09-2011, 02:01 AM   #70
The Starter
 
Swarley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Age: 25
Posts: 1,035
Re: Landry to miss opener vs Giants

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
He was leading the league in tackles right up till he got hurt.
yeah and that means what exactly? I just dont get the point.

Is it a knock on him?
__________________
doing it all in the spirit of the salary cap!
Swarley is offline  
Old 09-09-2011, 02:32 AM   #71
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,893
Re: Landry to miss opener vs Giants

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
He was leading the league in tackles right up till he got hurt.
I remember bringing up this point last year. I don't have the exact numbers in front of me. But I recall in the opener he led the team in tackles, but I believe about half of them were on running plays. Now, I'm glad he made the tackle but concerned that our safety was making so many tackles on running backs. It's usually an indicator that the running back broke through at least the first tackle...I hope we don't see that again this year
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline  
Old 09-09-2011, 02:55 AM   #72
Playmaker
 
Bucket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Martinsburg, WV
Posts: 3,583
Re: Landry to miss opener vs Giants

I didn't twist any words. You said his coverage skills were poor, and I disagree. They are not on the level of a Cornerback, and that's because he's not play cornerback.

He's basically a roamer, and that is what he excels at. I just wouldn't compare him to Roy Williams because Roy Williams had 0 pass defensive skills.

Landry is not going to ever beat D. Jackson or any other top WR in the NFL ina coverage contest because he's not suppose to. There is 11 players on the field, and they all have responsibilities.

I never understood the concept of saying one guy is bad at something, and the other is great. When all in all... If you have a good pass rush, then you can have good corners, or vice versa. It all works in a team aspect.. So because D. Jackson burned Landry doesn't mean it was Landry's fault and only his. If I recall Vick was in the pocket for a good bit, and DJack also had a pretty easy release..

Anyways.. Agree to disagree I suppose
__________________
HTTR
Redskin Fan since '88
Be friends on Twitter! @thecasualhero
Bucket is offline  
Old 09-09-2011, 05:29 AM   #73
Impact Rookie
 
Bubba305-ST21-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Age: 26
Posts: 683
Re: Landry to miss opener vs Giants

do you know how many people desean jackson has burnt? a shit load. i don't like him at all but the kid can play. I agree with Greek skin 100%. How are you going to hold it against LaRon that he had the most tackles. would you like him to just wait until someone else comes and does it. We are using Landry exactly to his abilites and its paying off, hes an animal when used like this. Roy Williams was a hitter ill give him that but LaRon covers much better then him and is pretty much more athletic then him in every way possible. (speed, agility, acceleration, quickness, etc.)

(NC SKINS is a hater to sum this long ass paragraph up)
__________________
never another.....R.I.P. Sean T #21
Bubba305-ST21- is offline  
Old 09-09-2011, 06:18 AM   #74
Special Teams
 
polywog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Somewhere in Maryland....
Posts: 196
Re: Landry to miss opener vs Giants

As a safety....more than making a tackle....you want to break up the pass....you want an Int. You don't wan't to have to chase down wide receivers and tackle them to prevent a TD.

When you tackle a guy down field, it is not nearly as good as if you got him in close. On bad teams, safety's will have a lot of tackles - even bad safety's.... especially if you let them catch the ball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
That's pretty much the same thing as cherry picking. He has at times covered receivers well yet your pic does not represent that reality.
LL has trouble in coverage. It ain't his strong suit. He makes up for it by trucking guys. Just so you know I'm not a complete LL hater, here is Laron at his best....



Last edited by polywog; 09-09-2011 at 06:41 AM.
polywog is offline  
Old 09-09-2011, 06:47 AM   #75
The Starter
 
Swarley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Age: 25
Posts: 1,035
Re: Landry to miss opener vs Giants

just going by memory, he made a lot of his tackles in the backfield and on runners in general. It's also not his job to cover everyone so if a corner or linebacker allow a player to catch the ball he still has to tackle them.

I don't think his high number of tackles had anything to do with his coverage skills, except for the fact that the coaches prefer to play him closer to the line of scrimmage.
__________________
doing it all in the spirit of the salary cap!
Swarley is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.30077 seconds with 10 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25