Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Giants at Redskins)

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2011, 01:51 AM   #46
Playmaker
 
skinsfanthru&thru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 34
Posts: 3,743
Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Giants at Redskins)

When it comes to the running game, the team seemed to have all of it's success when we ran a 2-back set with Young leading the way whereas all of the oneback stretch plays almost always only gained a yard or two or even lost yardage.

The drops suck as did Gaffney not making a better effort to stay in bounds on that one catch that eventually got ruled out, but they also made some nice catches and ran great routes. Seeing Davis do what he did today makes me even more excited to see the team having both him and Cooley on the field together more and more as Cooley gets healthier.

Overall a great team win especially the effort given in the second half and it was absolutely freakin awesome seeing a couple of the rookies making their presence known right out of the gate.
__________________
"Ahhh, so you're stupid in 3 languages?"
skinsfanthru&thru is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-12-2011, 01:54 AM   #47
Playmaker
 
Bucket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Martinsburg, WV
Posts: 3,655
Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Giants at Redskins)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
I predict market saturation. Coming next week; Dirt's bag o' dirt, Matty's Caddies, Ruh the Day, Tripp's Rips, Quakes Shakes.
LOL.. I saw this after I made my thread.
__________________
I need something to cheer about
Redskin Fan since '88
Be friends on Twitter! @thecasualhero
Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:05 AM   #48
Impact Rookie
 
ethat001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 741
Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Giants at Redskins)

Great game, feels wonderful to beat the Giants (or anyone for that matter).

Here's the question. How long does it take for a left tackle to get up to speed? Here's what Ryan Clady did his first two years:

Quote:
Clady finished third in voting behind Matt Ryan and Chris Johnson for the 2008 NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year Award.[9] He was the only offensive lineman to receive any votes. Clady started every game during the 2008 NFL season and gave up just a half of a sack while committing only three penalties.[10]

After the Broncos' October 4, 2009 victory over the Dallas Cowboys, Clady set a new NFL record for consecutive games to start a career without giving up a full sack. Through 20 games, he has surrendered only one half of a sack.[13]
So my point is, it is just one game, and too early to say anything about TW. But he has looked overmatched repeatedly over the past year and preseason/week 1. We should give him the benefit of the doubt, but it concerns me. Starting to wonder whether we need to switch him and J.Brown, and/or draft a new LT. Again, I'll give him the entire year to settle into his role first...

Last edited by ethat001; 09-12-2011 at 02:07 AM.
ethat001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:18 AM   #49
The Starter
 
rbanerjee23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,439
Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Giants at Redskins)

Problem with Williams is, and this was the knock coming out of college, was that he was so good that he never had to work. That's not going to fly in the NFL -- his reports in camp were that he would get beaten and then he would step up and stop the guy. There is no sense of urgency, no desire to be the absolute best game in and game out which is kind of a concern.
__________________
"Tough times don't last but tough people do"

-Mike Shanahan

HTTR
rbanerjee23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:24 AM   #50
Registered User
 
The Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,662
Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Giants at Redskins)

Soooooooooooooooooo fantastic to beat the Giants opening day by 2 TDs!!!!!!!!!!!!! So fantastic...it helps alleviate some of the concerns mentioned...but they're still legit concerns.

- I hope Trent has an injury I/we don't know about. He looks worse than Heyer on a typical day. His footwork is terrible so he's constantly off balance. He seems to miss on a lot of (basic) reads. I don't know what to thing?
The rest of the o-line is definitely struggling in both pass protection and run-blocking but as mentioned this is a new group that had little time to gel. I have faith it will get better, but Trent needs to get a lot better!!

- Gano.

- Secondary. Unless this group improves the better air attacks will eat us up!!!
The Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:49 AM   #51
Registered User
 
CultBrennan59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 6,527
Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Giants at Redskins)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
folks we BEAT NY, a team that has kicked our ass for a few years.. ENJOY it
The reason why some people cannot fully enjoy it, is because we should have beaten them a little bit more because they were so depleted on defense with their injuries, and their two best defensive players, Osi and Tuck, weren't playing, yet our OLine with a 2 time all pro on one side and a promising rookie on the other side were getting beat by the likes of Dave Tollefson and Pierre-Paul. Don't get me wrong, Tollefson's been around and Pierre Paul has potential to be a star, but the same goes for Trent against him, and Jammal Brown, with a good, bad, ok, great or whatever hip, should be doing a much better job on his side against Tollefson and the other Dlineman that beat up the right side of our OL.

It was mostly the Oklahoma guys that were screwing up today.

Now I'm going to agree with both sides here because your right, we should enjoy the 14 point win (could have been 17 w/ Gano but thats another rant), but at the same time we should point out our concerns because thats what makes our team better.
CultBrennan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 03:03 AM   #52
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Giants at Redskins)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultBrennan59 View Post
The reason why some people cannot fully enjoy it, is because we should have beaten them a little bit more because they were so depleted on defense with their injuries, and their two best defensive players, Osi and Tuck, weren't playing, yet our OLine with a 2 time all pro on one side and a promising rookie on the other side were getting beat by the likes of Dave Tollefson and Pierre-Paul. Don't get me wrong, Tollefson's been around and Pierre Paul has potential to be a star, but the same goes for Trent against him, and Jammal Brown, with a good, bad, ok, great or whatever hip, should be doing a much better job on his side against Tollefson and the other Dlineman that beat up the right side of our OL.

It was mostly the Oklahoma guys that were screwing up today.

Now I'm going to agree with both sides here because your right, we should enjoy the 14 point win (could have been 17 w/ Gano but thats another rant), but at the same time we should point out our concerns because thats what makes our team better.
Eh, I disagree. It was two touchdowns.

I thought we were overall disappointing in the first half, but the second half was a work of art for a Redskins fan. It was a great half against any team, but the Giants aren't just any team. Depleted on defense or not, they're one of the toughest wins in the NFL. And we really took it to them.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 03:27 AM   #53
The Starter
 
Swarley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Age: 25
Posts: 1,035
Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Giants at Redskins)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
The safety play was painful to watch. Atogwe did what he's pretty much done his whole career: he plays most of his game off the television feed. But that cover two out route that Manning got complete to Manningham under duress was far too easy of a throw. A good safety breaks up that pass pretty often.

Doughty was Doughty. Happy to have him, but if he's in the starting lineup, the offensive coordinator knows where to go on the field in the passing game.

Getting Landry back will give the Redskins an impact player at the position, but he won't fix the weakness at the position.
Are you saying Atogwe is a weakness or just any combo of safeties in general?
__________________
doing it all in the spirit of the salary cap!
Swarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 04:49 AM   #54
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Giants at Redskins)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekSkin View Post
Are you saying Atogwe is a weakness or just any combo of safeties in general?
Atogwe isn't a weakness. He just has the same problem as our other safeties: that he's not adept in coverage. He usually isn't the one getting picked on by the opponent because he doesn't bite double moves like a double cheeseburger. But that alone does not make a player great in coverage.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:49 AM   #55
The Starter
 
budw38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Northern,Va.
Posts: 2,424
Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Giants at Redskins)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
The safety play was painful to watch. Atogwe did what he's pretty much done his whole career: he plays most of his game off the television feed. But that cover two out route that Manning got complete to Manningham under duress was far too easy of a throw. A good safety breaks up that pass pretty often.

Doughty was Doughty. Happy to have him, but if he's in the starting lineup, the offensive coordinator knows where to go on the field in the passing game.

Getting Landry back will give the Redskins an impact player at the position, but he won't fix the weakness at the position.
Nice work GT . Would love to LL back , but he gets beat once / twice a game himself . Great win vs NYG , D only gave up 14 and scored 7 . OL needs to improve a hell of a lot of work ...... JET JETS JETS JETS !
budw38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:00 AM   #56
Pro Bowl
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,246
Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Giants at Redskins)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
When I retire, I'm passing the throne to Ruhskins...just because I like the title Ruh the Day
....oh hell NO!!!
__________________
....DISCLAIMER: All of my posts/threads are my expressed typed opinion and the reader is not to assume these comments are absolute fact, law, or truth unless otherwise stated in said post/thread.
Giantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:01 AM   #57
Pro Bowl
 
Beemnseven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Virginia Beach
Age: 40
Posts: 5,293
Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Giants at Redskins)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethat001 View Post
Great game, feels wonderful to beat the Giants (or anyone for that matter).

Here's the question. How long does it take for a left tackle to get up to speed? Here's what Ryan Clady did his first two years:



So my point is, it is just one game, and too early to say anything about TW. But he has looked overmatched repeatedly over the past year and preseason/week 1. We should give him the benefit of the doubt, but it concerns me. Starting to wonder whether we need to switch him and J.Brown, and/or draft a new LT. Again, I'll give him the entire year to settle into his role first...
Yep -- I'm beginning to have the same concern. You draft a O-lineman that high, you should be getting a "shutdown" left tackle. By Chris Samuels' second year, he was dominating just about every DE he faced.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:42 AM   #58
The Starter
 
budw38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Northern,Va.
Posts: 2,424
Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Giants at Redskins)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven View Post
Yep -- I'm beginning to have the same concern. You draft a O-lineman that high, you should be getting a "shutdown" left tackle. By Chris Samuels' second year, he was dominating just about every DE he faced.
The O-Line needs some work , was T/ Williams a LT or RT at OU ? Still , nice win vs NY .
budw38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:51 AM   #59
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 11,024
Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Giants at Redskins)

Quote:
Originally Posted by budw38 View Post
The O-Line needs some work , was T/ Williams a LT or RT at OU ? Still , nice win vs NY .
He played both at OU.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:35 AM   #60
The Starter
 
rypper11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Winston Salem, NC
Posts: 1,226
Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Giants at Redskins)

The drops were the worst thing for me Yes the OLine struggled in some of the blitz pickups but the Giants would have stopped bringing as much if the WR would have made them pay by holding on to the catch.
It hasn't been touched yet, but Paul's muffed punt was almost disastrous. If his assignment is to catch a short punt, he has to learn to faircatch when guys are that close or get out of the way.
__________________
Playing a kids game for a kings ransom.
rypper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.44385 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25